PDA

View Full Version : The Descent

WMR
10-25-2006, 12:48 PM
Has anyone seen this movie?

I saw it for the first time the other day and I must say that it is one of the most genuinely frightening films I've seen in a long time.

So much of Hollywood's "horror" films these days are such exercises in cliche and vicarious violence for "shock value."

This movie is atmospheric, creepy, and plays on many of our worst fears... clautraphobia, the creatures, helplessness... but the main heroine possesses such inner and outer strength, we never feel like all is lost.

savafan
10-25-2006, 12:57 PM
Well...it's not a Hollywood film. The Descent is a British film released in the UK over two years ago. I had the pleasure of seeing it long before it ever made it's theatrical debut here in the US. As I understand it though, the ending was changed for the US theatrical release. Haven't seen that, but yes, it is a great horror film.

WMR
10-25-2006, 01:14 PM
hey Sava, PM me the british ending if you don't mind. The american version left me scratching my head

GAC
10-25-2006, 04:25 PM
I watched The Cave and thought it sucked. One review I have read on The Descent was this.... "If you saw last year's Cole Hauser flick The Cave, then imagine it not sucking or skimping, and you've got it."

I've read alot of good reviews on it. I'm sold.

I tried to rent it but Family Video looked it up and said it is not out on DVD yet?

it's this one right?

http://ec3.images-amazon.com/images/P/B00005JOL1.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V38862846_.jpg

Amazon says it won't be released until December 26th.

I am pretty sure that the guy who produced this one also made the English movie "Dog Soldiers" which is a very good movie. I just found a DVD of it in a discount bin for $5. It's well worth the watch. ;)