PDA

View Full Version : Aurillia mentioned in NY Post

muethibp
10-25-2006, 03:07 PM
http://www.nypost.com/seven/10252006/sports/it_could_be_aurilia_in_new_york_sports_joel_sherma n.htm

October 25, 2006 -- Rich Aurilia has a $2 million mutual option with the Reds he almost certainly will turn down. Cincinnati will still be a player for him, but the Staten Island native could be of interest to both New York teams. The Mets need a second baseman, and GM Omar Minaya signed Aurilia to his first pro contract. The Yankees need a first baseman who will make Jason Giambi a full-time DH. Aurilia and Tony Graffanino were the majors' only players to play at least 10 games at all four infield positions in 2006.

"Rich wants to play for a contender and wants to, if possible, play just one position," said his agent, Barry Axelrod. "Both New York teams qualify for what he is looking for."

Axelrod said he thinks another client, Craig Biggio, will end up bridging what is currently a financial gap and re-sign with the Astros while also getting a personal-services deal like Roger Clemens that extends into his post-career. However, Axelrod said he had spoken with Biggio, and that if matters cannot be worked out fairly, Biggio would leave the only team for which he has played and seek the 70 hits he needs to reach 3,000 somewhere else.

"He said to me that if they don't value me enough and I have to go to St. Louis, Chicago or New York to play on a winner and hit milestones, then I will do it," Axelrod said.