PDA

View Full Version : Brantley to booth...

Wheelhouse
10-25-2006, 02:48 PM
Per Enquirer:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061025/SPT04/310250030

Jeff Brantley is the choice to be the third man in the Reds' radio booth.

An announcement could come shortly after the end of the World Series. Brantley, a former Reds reliever, is currently working the World Series for ESPN.

Brantley, 44, is expected to join Marty Brennaman and Thom Brennaman as part of the primary radio team. Thom is expected to work 45 games on the radio and 45 games on TV. Marty's longtime partner, Joe Nuxhall, will work six to 12 games. That will leave the bulk of the schedule to Marty Brennaman and Brantley.

Brantley could not be reached for comment. But two sources said the Reds and Brantley have agreed to a deal.

Reds chief operating officer John Allen said the search is "proceeding. I'm not going to comment publicly on candidates."

One of the other candidates for the job - former Reds catcher Joe Oliver - said Tuesday that he had not heard from the Reds in weeks.

Brantley has worked for ESPN since 2002, shortly after he retired following a 14-year big league career. Brantley has been a regular on Baseball Tonight as well as an analyst on games.

When the Reds announced that Steve Stewart's contract would not be renewed, team officials said they wanted a former player to provide analysis.

The job will also require some play-by-play. Marty Brennaman calls the first, second, fifth, sixth, eighth and ninth innings of games. The second announcer does play-by-play in the third, four and seventh innings.

KronoRed
10-25-2006, 02:51 PM
I'm not looking forward to hearing Brantley do PBP.

redsfan30
10-25-2006, 02:52 PM
We'll see how this works out....he wouldn't have been my first choice.

pedro
10-25-2006, 02:53 PM
There's going to be some ego cage matches going on in that booth.

cumberlandreds
10-25-2006, 02:53 PM
It seems that Marty and Brantley have the type of personalities that would clash. It may get interesting in the booth at times next season.

Yachtzee
10-25-2006, 03:01 PM
It seems that Marty and Brantley have the type of personalities that would clash. It may get interesting in the booth at times next season.

The Poofy-haired Fancy Boy v. the Mullet Man of Mississippi State.

A.K.A. "Franchester and the Hoke Show!"

Reds Fanatic
10-25-2006, 03:01 PM
I just wish they would have made more improvements to the TV crew. We do get Thom for 45 TV games but other than that we are still stuck with Grande for 100 games and Welsh for all 145.

Blimpie
10-25-2006, 03:02 PM
Ugh...color me unimpressed.

Team Clark
10-25-2006, 03:04 PM
I like this a lot. Accountability and knowledge in the booth. Good move.

lollipopcurve
10-25-2006, 03:04 PM
so glad I don't have to listen to the Reds on radio

KronoRed
10-25-2006, 03:05 PM
I just wish they would have made more improvements to the TV crew. We do get Thom for 45 TV games but other than that we are still stuck with Grande for 100 games and Welsh for all 145.
I predict Chris and George won't be so bad this year.

Reds4Life
10-25-2006, 03:07 PM
Horrible choice, I can't stand Brantley on BBTN, so I won't be listening on the radio for sure now.

Danny Serafini
10-25-2006, 03:07 PM

Is Welsh doing all 145? I thought he was also only doing 100.

pedro
10-25-2006, 03:08 PM

I want to know whose accountable for that mullet. The 1980's are dead so s/he can't be held responsible anymore.

http://www.lackofintellect.com/pictures/Subway%20Mullet%20%2029%20and%2041.jpg

Matt700wlw
10-25-2006, 03:13 PM
I guess I don't have to keep this secret anymore....

Yachtzee
10-25-2006, 03:15 PM

Just make sure you stock up on the Brylcreme with all that hair in the booth. :)

KronoRed
10-25-2006, 03:16 PM
I wish you had ;)

Wheelhouse
10-25-2006, 03:17 PM
I think it will be fine. Brantley has candor knowledge and will learn from Marty. BTW I would imagine BBTN may not be the sweet job it seems if Brantley is willing to leave the foremost national baseball broadcast to be the secondary (or maybe third if you count Thom) radio voice for the Reds. My bet: Brantley surprises, and becomes many peoples' favorite.

Matt700wlw
10-25-2006, 03:26 PM
I never really had a problem with Brantly on BBTN....never really rubbed me the wrong way with what he said. He's a high profile former player, he played for the Reds, and grew up rooting for the Reds...

what's not to like?

I think it will be fine....I look forward to making it work.

This isn't the same role he had on ESPN....lfor those who dislike him, let's give him a chance, it's only fair. :)

Heath
10-25-2006, 03:37 PM
Ought to be interesting to say the least.

I'm more interested in Thom Brennaman than I am Jeff Brantley.

Always Red
10-25-2006, 03:37 PM
I'm with you Matt, I like this just fine, and am looking forward to Brantley coming back to town.

We were just complaining last week about some Reds not wanting to be here, and can't wait to go to greener pastures. Now, an ex-Red wants to come back. Good for him.

Blimpie
10-25-2006, 03:41 PM
Ought to be interesting to say the least.

I'm more interested in Thom Brennaman than I am Jeff Brantley.Ditto.

Reds Fanatic
10-25-2006, 03:44 PM
Is Welsh doing all 145? I thought he was also only doing 100.
I assume Welsh is doing all 145. Thom will take George's place for 45 but unless they are hiring someone else I would think Welsh would being doing all the TV games.

traderumor
10-25-2006, 03:51 PM
Brantley was unimpressive as a second and third man in the booth on ESPN games. Hopefully, he is better in the radio booth. I do think he has some good insights, but just overall didn't care for his style. Maybe he will have a different style on radio. One thought is that he will be doing pbp? That will certainly be a new gig and should prove an interesting experiment.

TheBigLebowski
10-25-2006, 03:57 PM
I think it'll be a nice move.

However, I won't be able to listen to them very much as I'm a great distance away from the listening area.

I'll be buying the Reds' Season Pass next year, so I'll finally get to experience George Grande, who I anticipate will irritate me just as much as he seems to irritate everyone else around here.

15fan
10-25-2006, 04:19 PM
They should get Jeff Shaw to do the pre-game show.

Chip R
10-25-2006, 04:47 PM
They should get Jeff Shaw to do the pre-game show.

No way. Brantley and Narron will be gold!

Kc61
10-25-2006, 04:54 PM
Reds should change their allocation of innings for announcers. Brantley should announce the ninth. Mike Jackson should be hired to announce the eighth.

klw
10-25-2006, 05:15 PM
I wonder if these comments came up during the interview.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36773&highlight=brantly

paulrichjr
10-25-2006, 05:37 PM
I think it'll be a nice move.

However, I won't be able to listen to them very much as I'm a great distance away from the listening area.

I'll be buying the Reds' Season Pass next year, so I'll finally get to experience George Grande, who I anticipate will irritate me just as much as he seems to irritate everyone else around here.

The Reds became local for me this year so I got to listen to him for the first time and to be honest he didn't bother me at all. I think many people who don't read Redszone would be surprised to hear that so many don't like him. Go into it with an open mind and I bet you won't mind either.

TeamBoone
10-25-2006, 05:54 PM

TC. I don't disagree with you very often, but this is one of those... knowledge is one thing, a know-it-all is entirely different. And I'm not sure what you mean about accountability.

Have you ever heard him do a TV broadcast? He constantly references his playing days, what he did in given situations, and what's wrong with the every player on the field. I doubt he'll be any more tolerable on the radio. Believe me, he adds NOTHING to my enjoyment of the game. In fact, IMHO, he's a total turnoff.

In addition, here he is working for the Reds (again) when all he's done during his entire career as a broadcaster is to badmouth them. I have NEVER heard him say anything even CLOSE to a pro remark when it comes to his former team or anyone on it.

I'm cringing at the thought of him being in the booth this year. Just one more reason I won't be listening to games on the radio unless it's my last source. Thank the Lord more games will be televised in 2007.

TeamBoone
10-25-2006, 05:59 PM
The Reds became local for me this year so I got to listen to him for the first time and to be honest he didn't bother me at all. I think many people who don't read Redszone would be surprised to hear that so many don't like him. Go into it with an open mind and I bet you won't mind either.

I never minded George Grande; in fact, I rather like him. I especially like him in person. He conducts a wonderful interview and is a top notch emcee.

Personally, I think a lot of people have gone way overboard with their criticism.

Unassisted
10-25-2006, 06:09 PM
The prospect of JB the RP doing PBP worries ME. :evil:

I like this choice more than most ideas floated in recent weeks involving players who have never done radio or TV before.

I agree that Brantley will be a better foil for Marty than Steve Stewart was. For that, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

RANDY IN INDY
10-25-2006, 06:24 PM

:beerme:

Team Clark
10-25-2006, 06:33 PM
I want to know whose accountable for that mullet. The 1980's are dead so s/he can't be held responsible anymore.

http://www.lackofintellect.com/pictures/Subway%20Mullet%20%2029%20and%2041.jpg

All I can say is WOW!!

Team Clark
10-25-2006, 06:38 PM
TC. I don't disagree with you very often, but this is one of those... knowledge is one thing, a know-it-all is entirely different. And I'm not sure what you mean about accountability.

Have you ever heard him do a TV broadcast? He constantly references his playing days, what he did in given situations, and what's wrong with the every player on the field. I doubt he'll be any more tolerable on the radio. Believe me, he adds NOTHING to my enjoyment of the game. In fact, IMHO, he's a total turnoff.

In addition, here he is working for the Reds (again) when all he's done during his entire career as a broadcaster is to badmouth them. I have NEVER heard him say anything even CLOSE to a pro remark when it comes to his former team or anyone on it.

I'm cringing at the thought of him being in the booth this year. Just one more reason I won't be listening to games on the radio unless it's my last source. Thank the Lord more games will be televised in 2007.

What you do not like seems to be what I like. Too much butt kissin' and politics from the likes of Joe the past few years and most certainly Steve. Tell it like it is and have the credibility to back it up. Marty gets a whippin' because he sounds like he is just whining. Which he might be. I will be tuning in as often as possible to hear what JB has got to say. Good or bad. I like Jeff and I think he has done a good job on ESPN in General. My favorite is Orel Hershiser. NOW that is a guy I would have made a major push for.

deltachi8
10-25-2006, 06:44 PM
I personaly prefer broadcasters in the booth, I really get tired of jock speak.

MrCinatit
10-25-2006, 06:59 PM
I don't have a large problem with it - at least for now.
At least we didn't get Kruk.

Jr's Boy
10-25-2006, 07:25 PM
I'm glad to hear the Cowboy's coming on board with Marty and Thom.

LINEDRIVER
10-25-2006, 07:34 PM

I figured something had been in the works for awhile.

I heard Marty Brennaman on Bill Cunningham's WLW radio show on October 4th. Cunningham asked Marty about Brantley or Kent Mercker possibly filling a job opening in the Reds' radio booth. Marty said he thinks Mercker wants to play next year and that you can't pitch and broadcast at the same time. Marty then let fly with, "If Jeff Brantley is the former player they want in the booth, then they couldn't of made a better choice".

After hearing that, I figured that Brantley had already talked with Marty B, John Allen, BigShot Bob, etc. Marty's comment sounded like a ringing endorsement to me.

I've been hoping for Brantley for a long time, even before Steve Stewart was hired. So, today I'm gloating just a bit.

It does seem to me that for the most part Brantley is not well received around these RedsZone parts. Here's hoping he will eventually win over his detractors.

FlyingPig
10-25-2006, 08:07 PM
Dang..

I was really hoping for Venus or Johnny Fever..

WMR
10-25-2006, 08:53 PM
I don't have a large problem with it - at least for now.
At least we didn't get Kruk.

OOH! Good point. I'd take JB six days a week and 2x on sunday if it meant keeping Kruk out of the Reds booth. Eck.

Falls City Beer
10-25-2006, 09:05 PM
OOH! Good point. I'd take JB six days a week and 2x on sunday if it meant keeping Kruk out of the Reds booth. Eck.

And you two have just been victimized by the good cop/bad cop routine. :)

Roy Tucker
10-26-2006, 11:28 AM
I'm OK with Brantley.

I'll be happy there is a mix of announcers on radio and TV that will provide some variety. Sometimes I got tired of Marty and Steve or George and Chris all the daggone time (and I occasionally felt they had similar feelings).

Mix it around a little bit, try some different permutations. I think the cast they have now will provide that.

registerthis
10-26-2006, 11:32 AM
Personally, I think a lot of people have gone way overboard with their criticism.

I think the same could be said about Marty.

Doc. Scott
10-26-2006, 12:12 PM
I don't watch ESPN regularly (by regularly, I mean pretty much ever), so I can't say I witnessed Brantley too incredibly often.

However, I am generally strongly opposed to the entire ESPN worldview as well as the types of crap its minions tend to spew. I feel the same about all ESPN associated properties, products, programs, synergistic pursuits, and trademarks, copyright and all rights reserved.

If Brantley can balance the sloganeering with the criticism on top of the base of homer-support that I believe the Reds radio listener wants, he'll be fine. Stories from playing days are fine, but keep it curtailed to a reasonable amount.

jimbo
10-26-2006, 12:55 PM
I think the same could be said about Marty.

And I think the same thing could be said about Brantley.

Chip R
10-26-2006, 01:51 PM
I'm hoping a lot of Brantley's shtick on ESPN was from some producer telling him how he should say things on air. Now that he's pretty much on his own, he may be better than he was on ESPN. I'm willing to give him a shot.

pedro
10-26-2006, 02:22 PM
I'm hoping a lot of Brantley's shtick on ESPN was from some producer telling him how he should say things on air. Now that he's pretty much on his own, he may be better than he was on ESPN. I'm willing to give him a shot.

I hope so. I do agree that sometimes guys seem to behave differently depending on where they are broadcasting, so maybe there is hope.

TeamBoone
10-26-2006, 04:07 PM
Is the Red's gig really more appealing (and more money) than the ESPN gig? I just can't imagine that.

pedro
10-26-2006, 04:15 PM
Is the Red's gig really more appealing (and more money) than the ESPN gig? I just can't imagine that.

I'd rather be at a ballgame in Cincinnati than in a TV studio in Bristol CT.

I know that.

redsfanmia
10-26-2006, 04:27 PM

I bet the money is better.

dabvu2498
10-26-2006, 04:27 PM
I'd rather be at a ballgame in Cincinnati than in a TV studio in Bristol CT.

I know that.

Brantley doesn't seem like the type of guy who'd be real comfortable living in the Northeast, either.

pedro
10-26-2006, 04:40 PM
Brantley doesn't seem like the type of guy who'd be real comfortable living in the Northeast, either.

you'd be suprised by the "mullet factor" in the rural NE.

Unless, of course, you're not.

Chip R
10-26-2006, 04:45 PM
I bet the money is better.

It could be. ESPN has a reputation for not paying their people well.

dabvu2498
10-26-2006, 04:54 PM
you'd be suprised by the "mullet factor" in the rural NE.

Unless, of course, you're not.

I bet he has a hard time finding redeye gravy in Bristol.

All drippings from a skillet of
-ham or bacon
1 cup black coffee (not instant)
1/4 tspn black pepper

Pour the coffee into the skillet containing the hot
drippings. Stir but do not allow to boil. Sprinkle the
pepper into the mixture. Pour off into a bowl or gravy
boat. serve hot over grits, mashed potatos, rice, corn
bread, or biscuits.

http://www.recipesource.com/side-dishes/sauces/02/rec0252.html

RANDY IN INDY
10-27-2006, 11:00 AM
Takes me back to my childhood.

dabvu2498
10-27-2006, 12:47 PM
Takes me back to my childhood.

Takes me back to Sunday morning.

The first time I made redeye gravy in front of my wife, she requested a divorce.

cincinnati chili
10-27-2006, 08:10 PM
I've always found Brantley to be personable. He just says a lot of stuff that's flat out wrong. Maybe with experience, he'll tone down the nonsense factor.

marcshoe
10-28-2006, 02:06 AM
I've always found Brantley to be personable. He just says a lot of stuff that's flat out wrong. Maybe with experience, he'll tone down the nonsense factor.

I've been thinking about that. I know he got a few things totally wrong when he was talking about the Reds this year, but maybe, just maybe if he's around the team for extended periods he'll have a larger knowledge base. Perhaps his frequent flubs were caused by trying to know a little about everything and ending up knowing a little bit about a few things.

In other words, a located job with a team may be a good thing for him, at least.

Yes, it's late, and I need sleep.

Raisor
10-28-2006, 08:51 AM
I personaly prefer broadcasters in the booth, I really get tired of jock speak.

Darn straight.

4256 Hits
10-28-2006, 10:20 AM

Maybe he gets his information from Hal McCoy! :evil:

Cooper
10-28-2006, 11:31 AM
I think Welsh will be a better announcer if he has someone to bounce things off of....with Grande...there's nothing there. Grande doesn't have the intellect nor the personality to discuss things. He gives the other announcer nothing to work with cause he's just such a blank.

When Welsh works with anyone else he has something to work with and it improves his announcing. Out of all the announcers we've had in the past 4 or 5 years...Welsh is the guy who's the smartest and most well read.