PDA

View Full Version : Slobberknocker trade proposal

schroomytunes
10-25-2006, 04:55 PM
Here is my ideal trade proposal with the White Sox. I feel like this is a trade that could happen, and it benefits both sides. So here goes:

Reds trade: Adam Dunn and Todd Coffey

White Sox trade: Scott Podsednik(Cf) Javier Vasquez(SP) and Sean Tracey(RP)

Why it works for both Sides- Dunn takes over in Lf for the White Sox and gives them a 3-6 lineup of Konerko,Thome,Dye, and Dunn. thats a powerful lineup, and Coffey gives them a replacement in the pen for McCarthy to join the rotation.

For the Reds they get a #3 starter for almost even $ for Dunn, and can now have Podsednik play Cf, and move Griffey to left. Also Podsednik becomes the leadoff hitter we have been missing, while Tracey assumes Coffey's role in the pen. This allows us to focus on acquiring a RF, SS, Closer and bench help in the offseason FA market. With this trade we could look like this in 07.

lineup-
1.Podsednik-cf
2.Phillips-2b
3.griffey-lf
4.EE-3b
5.FA right fielder DAVID DELUCCI,PRESTON WILSON,etc
6.ross-c
7.JULIO LUGO-SS
8.Hatteberg-1b

Rotation: 1.Harang 2. Arroyo 3.Vasquez 4.Milton 5.Lohse/Lizard

TOBTTReds
10-25-2006, 05:18 PM
I'm going to have to strongly say no.

Our offense disappears without Dunn. From all accounts, isn't scotty a terrible CF'er? I know he is fast, but from what I've heard, he is awful (haven't seen him much).

Also, why do you want to pay a #3 starter that type of money? We already have milton at $9, and Vasquez was relatively bad last year too. 4.84 ERA in Chicago.

Then you are basically trading Coffey for...well, Coffey.

TeamSelig
10-25-2006, 05:26 PM
Hmm...

Maybe Dunn for Podsednick, McCarthy, Tracey (or another decent reliever), and a prospect

Too much to ask for? Probably, but I think that would make me happy.

reds44
10-25-2006, 05:38 PM
Ewww.

Johnny Footstool
10-25-2006, 05:44 PM
Podsednik isn't a good leadoff hitter or a good CF.

vaticanplum
10-25-2006, 05:49 PM
Podsednik isn't a good leadoff hitter or a good CF.

I think he's a good leadoff hitter, but crap, the dude isn't even good enough for center field on the White Sox and they had what's-his-name Anderson over there for part of the year.

Seriously, just because he runs like a demon doesn't mean he's a good defender. I'd never put him in center field.

Johnny Footstool
10-25-2006, 05:54 PM
He's good at working the count (4 pitches per PA), but his .330 OPB is poison at the top of the lineup. Ryan Freel is better offensively and defensively and is much cheaper.

pedro
10-25-2006, 05:55 PM
I don't think Podsednik has a good enough OBP to bat lead off.

.330 last year.

.342 for career.

vaticanplum
10-25-2006, 06:08 PM
I don't think Podsednik has a good enough OBP to bat lead off.

.330 last year.

.342 for career.

Oh wow, that's lower than I would have expected. I was fooled by the scrappy factor.

But apparently he can chug six beers in under four minutes. I ask you, what's more important to you in a leadoff hitter? I think we have our trade proposal, kids.

pedro
10-25-2006, 06:09 PM
Oh wow, that's lower than I would have expected. I was fooled by the scrappy factor.

But apparently he can chug six beers in under four minutes. I ask you, what's more important to you in a leadoff hitter? I think we have our trade proposal, kids.

Does he need a beer bong to do it? because, to me, that's what's really important.

vaticanplum
10-25-2006, 06:13 PM
Does he need a beer bong to do it? because, to me, that's what's really important.

No, this is au naturale.

But I bet Freel could do it too, come to that. And he's cheaper and comes with a free tiny talking leprauchan.

Oh man, we're definitely approaching the off-season.

pedro
10-25-2006, 06:22 PM
No, this is au naturale.

But I bet Freel could do it too, come to that. And he's cheaper and comes with a free tiny talking leprauchan.

Oh man, we're definitely approaching the off-season.

I'd like see them head butt simpson's style with buckets on their heada, after they'd drank the bucket full of beer. Now that's something I'd pay for.

vaticanplum
10-25-2006, 06:23 PM
I'd like see them head butt simpson's style with buckets on their heada, after they'd drank the bucket full of beer. Now that's something I'd pay for.

Hott like a sparklerstick!

pedro
10-25-2006, 06:29 PM
Hott like a sparklerstick!

Well, I was born on the 4th of July.

That must be why I'm so patriotic.

yeah, that's the ticket.

OnBaseMachine
10-25-2006, 06:30 PM
IMO, the Reds get slobberknockered in the balls in this deal.

Krusty
10-25-2006, 06:56 PM
I don't think we need another leadoff hitter when you have Freel and Denorifa capable of leading off and playing in center.

Deal has some merit. But if you say the deal is OF Brian Anderson, RHP Sean Tracey and RHP Brandon McCarthy for Dunn and Coffey, I would seriously consider it.

Highlifeman21
10-25-2006, 07:06 PM
I don't think we need another leadoff hitter when you have Freel and Denorifa capable of leading off and playing in center.

Deal has some merit. But if you say the deal is OF Brian Anderson, RHP Sean Tracey and RHP Brandon McCarthy for Dunn and Coffey, I would seriously consider it.

The same Brian Anderson who sucked something awful in 2006? While he might be good defensively, that .649 OPS in 395 PA makes me cringe something fierce. McCarthy is the biggest piece in the deal from the Sox, with Tracey as a close 2nd. The void we would create by trading Dunn in this deal is magnified to the Nth degree by the lack of offensive return named Brian Anderson.

reds44
10-25-2006, 07:27 PM
The same Brian Anderson who sucked something awful in 2006? While he might be good defensively, that .649 OPS in 395 PA makes me cringe something fierce. McCarthy is the biggest piece in the deal from the Sox, with Tracey as a close 2nd. The void we would create by trading Dunn in this deal is magnified to the Nth degree by the lack of offensive return named Brian Anderson.
He hit nearly .300 post ASG, and plays the best defensive CF in the game.

Krusty
10-25-2006, 07:32 PM

It is no secret that Krivisky is out to improve the outfield defense. You put Anderson in center and shift Junior to RF. You sign free agent OF Frank Catalanotto to share RF with Denorifa. Freel would get playing time backing up Junior and Anderson in the outfield. I'm not ready to Anderson to the scrap heap after one season.

Plus, the money freed up from moving Dunn could go to sign another starting pitcher like LHP Ted Lilly. OR, the Reds could sign former Dodger RHP Eric Gagne to a one-year deal loaded with incentives and hope he can regain his form that made him a top closer.

Highlifeman21
10-25-2006, 08:04 PM

Small sample size for post ASG. As for defensively, I agree, he's one of the best in the biz. But, is the defensive upgrade worth the vast defensive downgrade?

I still don't know/understand/fathom the fascination of Ted Lilly. Sure, we'd have more cash to spend for personnel if we didn't have Dunn's contract on the books, but then it seems to be a case of spending money for the sake of spending money, which doesn't seem to improve us.

I guess I'm still trying to wrap my head around why we should trade Adam Dunn in general, and as a secondary reason, why should we trade Dunn just to trade Dunn?

Cyclone792
10-25-2006, 08:40 PM

I think you're getting batting average mixed up with on-base percentage. Brian Anderson hit .257 after the All-Star Game with a .301 on-base percentage. He's been an out making machine his entire major league career thus far. His walk rate in the minors was marginal at best, and he's yet to show any ability to put up a respectable walk rate in the majors.

It is no secret that Krivisky is out to improve the outfield defense. You put Anderson in center and shift Junior to RF. You sign free agent OF Frank Catalanotto to share RF with Denorifa. Freel would get playing time backing up Junior and Anderson in the outfield. I'm not ready to Anderson to the scrap heap after one season.

Plus, the money freed up from moving Dunn could go to sign another starting pitcher like LHP Ted Lilly. OR, the Reds could sign former Dodger RHP Eric Gagne to a one-year deal loaded with incentives and hope he can regain his form that made him a top closer.

Seriously, I read some of these trade proposals and they boggle my mind. What in the world can Brian Anderson do that Chris Denorfia can't do?

Chris Denorfia was voted by International League coaches and executives as the best defensive outfielder in that entire league last season. Brian Anderson may be an excellent defensive center fielder, but so is Chris Denorfia. The run value differential between them defensively is maybe two or three runs per season. They're basically a wash defensively. I don't understand why people want to relegate Chris Denorfia to a corner outfield slot; that's nothing short of a complete misuse of Denorfia's skill set.

And offensively? Very similar minor league histories - identical on-base percentages, in fact - though Denorfia's minor league walk rates were better than Anderson's, and he's had much more success at the plate in his limited major league plate appearances than Anderson has had.

We already have a guy at least equal, and possibly better, than Brian Anderson, and his name is Chris Denorfia. Trading any type of value chip for Brian Anderson would be a complete loss of resources. Trading a guy like Adam Dunn for Brian Anderson would be flat out foolish.

reds44
10-25-2006, 08:44 PM
I never said I wanted Brian Anderson, and I must have been mistake about his batting average.

I agree, trading for Anderson would be pointless because of Denorfia.

PuffyPig
10-27-2006, 02:08 PM
The McCarthy/Treacy/Anderson trade proposal is a pretty good one, and 100 times better than the Pods one.

Pods isn't particularly adept at getting on base nor is he a good fielder, even in LF. Think Dunn without the walks or homers, but with good speed.

McCarthy/Treacy would easily improve our pitching, and Anderson would be a case of buying a real good fielding CF at a low price. He's hit very well in the minors, and should eventually hit in the majors.

flyer85
10-27-2006, 03:18 PM
Not familiar with him, what's this Slobberwhatever guys first name?

Krusty
10-27-2006, 06:52 PM
If you acquire Anderson, you shift Griffey to LF or RF while Denorifa/Freel assumes the other spot. You upgrade the outfield defense significantly.

Patrick Bateman
10-27-2006, 06:56 PM
If you acquire Anderson, you shift Griffey to LF or RF while Denorifa/Freel assumes the other spot. You upgrade the outfield defense significantly.

The thing is, Deno and Anderson's main value is their ability to play a good defensive CF. Without that point, they aren't particularly valuable. Putting one of them in a corner OF spot is not very enticing. They simply aren't good enough hitters at this point to be an effective regular in a corner spot.

pahster
10-27-2006, 06:58 PM

Where's the offense going to come from? EE would be the only threat unless Griffey returns to his former glory, which doesn't seem likely considering his age.

Highlifeman21
10-27-2006, 09:59 PM

So we might slow down the production of opposing teams, but won't score 700 in a season ourselves..

We have a Brian Anderson. His name is Chris Denorfia and he should be our everyday CF in 2007.

IslandRed
10-27-2006, 10:16 PM
Chris Denorfia was voted by International League coaches and executives as the best defensive outfielder in that entire league last season. Brian Anderson may be an excellent defensive center fielder, but so is Chris Denorfia. The run value differential between them defensively is maybe two or three runs per season. They're basically a wash defensively. I don't understand why people want to relegate Chris Denorfia to a corner outfield slot; that's nothing short of a complete misuse of Denorfia's skill set.

That's basically my view. I don't want to trade for a center fielder; I want to put Denorfia in center and let him play excellent defense, and he'll likely get on base enough to be useful. He doesn't have any power to speak of, but two out of three isn't bad for the baseball equivalent of minimum wage, and it leaves us free to use whatever payflex we have on more pressing matters.

Topcat
10-28-2006, 12:03 AM
A huge ick and yuck to this trade. It rot's of bad blue cheese:thumbdown , Posednik is not as valuable a commodity as you believe, number 2 Vasquez will not report or will not perform at all for the Red's he will not fit a mid west environment at all.

Krusty
10-29-2006, 10:01 AM
Another trade idea I will throw out involving the Reds & Tigers:

Dunn and Coffey to the Tigers for OF Craig Monroe, RHP Humberto Sanchez and RHP Fernando Rodney.

Reds get a closer in Rodney. Monroe replaces some of the lost offensive production in LF. Sanchez gives the Reds another young starter that should be ready sometime in 2007.

Raisor
10-29-2006, 10:20 AM
. I guess I'm still trying to wrap my head around why we should trade Adam Dunn in general, and as a secondary reason, why should we trade Dunn just to trade Dunn?

I think we're pretty close to the point where every flashy glove OFer has been proposed for Dunn.

Spring~Fields
10-29-2006, 10:24 AM
I think we're pretty close to the point where every flashy glove OFer has been proposed for Dunn.

The Dunn trades are wearing even me out, we have traded him so many times, and we still don't have anything back that will help the Reds break .500. :eek: We can't even get it done on paper, reality must really be a bear.

pahster
10-29-2006, 10:37 AM
Another trade idea I will throw out involving the Reds & Tigers:

Dunn and Coffey to the Tigers for OF Craig Monroe, RHP Humberto Sanchez and RHP Fernando Rodney.

Reds get a closer in Rodney. Monroe replaces some of the lost offensive production in LF. Sanchez gives the Reds another young starter that should be ready sometime in 2007.

Monroe is bad. .310 career OBP, decent pop. Reminds me a bit of an outfield version of Tony Bautista. Sanchez looks ok, but not great, though I haven't read any scouting reports. His numbers aren't that good, though. Rodney would be a good piece to go after, but I see no reason for the Tigers to trade him.

Krusty
10-29-2006, 10:49 AM
Monroe is bad. .310 career OBP, decent pop. Reminds me a bit of an outfield version of Tony Bautista. Sanchez looks ok, but not great, though I haven't read any scouting reports. His numbers aren't that good, though. Rodney would be a good piece to go after, but I see no reason for the Tigers to trade him.

Monroe's numbers might be better in GAB compared to Detroit's ballpark. He probably could reach 30+ home runs and drive in 90+ RBIs. The Tigers have several other arms in their system. RHP Zach Minier is a young starter to watch. I mentioned Sanchez but Jordan Tata and Wilfredo Ledezma might interest Krivsky.

But Rodney would be the key. With his ability to throw 95+ he could be a dominant closer if used exclusively in the ninth. The guy reminds me of Twins RHP Joe Nathan, who was a setup guy for several years before he was traded from the Giants to the Twins and became a dominant closer.