PDA

View Full Version : Anybody get the feeling...

Wheelhouse
10-25-2006, 09:54 PM
...so many managerial candidates are backing away fro the Nationals is because of the yellow stink around Bowden? I mean, the team has some very good players and new ownership that has expressed, at least, a willingness to spend some $.

Chip R
10-25-2006, 10:31 PM
...so many managerial candidates are backing away fro the Nationals is because of the yellow stink around Bowden? I mean, the team has some very good players and new ownership that has expressed, at least, a willingness to spend some $.

I think it may be more along the lines of JimBo not giving much say so as far as player personnel goes to the manager. Rumor had it in FLA that Girardi wanted a bigger say in that. Or it could be that JimBo didn't want to hire Girardi and allowed him to bow out of the search on his own terms. Happens all the time. I still think Baker could wind up there.

Topcat
10-25-2006, 10:45 PM
Bowden's got a shady rep and I believe he is going to be replaced quite soon and as a result alot of skips realize this is a tenuous situation to step into.

Wheelhouse
10-25-2006, 10:59 PM
I think it may be more along the lines of JimBo not giving much say so as far as player personnel goes to the manager. Rumor had it in FLA that Girardi wanted a bigger say in that. Or it could be that JimBo didn't want to hire Girardi and allowed him to bow out of the search on his own terms. Happens all the time. I still think Baker could wind up there.

I hope JimBo hires Baker--he'd be shooting himself in the foot.

Chip R
10-25-2006, 11:57 PM
I hope JimBo hires Baker--he'd be shooting himself in the foot.

Yep. Dusty is the kind of high profile hire JimBo would love to make. Big Dust is a successful manager in a lot of people's eyes. Being African-American replacing an African-American manager in a predominately African-American city wouldn't hurt either. The D.C. media would eat this hire up with a spoon. I think the question is, how much pride is Dusty willing to swallow to work with JimBo? JimBo has to wonder if Big Dust is after his job. If they can put those worries aside, it could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Topcat, I agree JimBo is as shady as they come. But there are only 30 of those jobs out there and only a small few are still available. So, a lot of the time, you take what you can get no matter who is the GM.

remdog
10-26-2006, 12:08 AM
....there are only 30 of those jobs out there and only a small few are still available. So, a lot of the time, you take what you can get no matter who is the GM.

After giving it some thought, Ron Oester concures. :evil:

Rem

Ron Madden
10-26-2006, 05:35 AM
After giving it some thought, Ron Oester concures. :evil:

Rem

Bob Boone is still lurking in the shadows. ;)

GAC
10-26-2006, 06:01 AM
Bob Boone is still lurking in the shadows. ;)

Bob Boone knows how to lurk?? :lol:

I think Piniella turned it down because the Nats payroll does not fit HIS budget. ;)

registerthis
10-26-2006, 11:26 AM
Yep. Dusty is the kind of high profile hire JimBo would love to make. Big Dust is a successful manager in a lot of people's eyes. Being African-American replacing an African-American manager in a predominately African-American city wouldn't hurt either.

I'll agree that JimBo loves him some high-profile hirings, but I don't necessarily agree that race would have any great effect on the interest in the team. The Post did an interesting story on African-American interest in baseball, using the Nats as an example. In general, they simply don't come out to games--Caucasian and Latino attendance is far higher. In D.C., having a black manager in Robinson was found to have little to no effect on black attendance at Nats games. Dusty being Dusty would generate some interest. Dusty being black likely wouldn't.

Chip R
10-26-2006, 12:21 PM
I'll agree that JimBo loves him some high-profile hirings, but I don't necessarily agree that race would have any great effect on the interest in the team. The Post did an interesting story on African-American interest in baseball, using the Nats as an example. In general, they simply don't come out to games--Caucasian and Latino attendance is far higher. In D.C., having a black manager in Robinson was found to have little to no effect on black attendance at Nats games. Dusty being Dusty would generate some interest. Dusty being black likely wouldn't.

I don't think it will affect attendance one way or another but it's a nice story for the media to write about. Plus it shows that you didn't push a black guy out in favor of a white guy. It's a nice thing for the media, the city fathers and MLB. Otherwise, it's a blip on the radar screen.

Strikes Out Looking
10-26-2006, 12:30 PM
Living in the DC area, I don't think having an african-american manager to replace Frank Robinson will have a major effect on attendance. I think attendance will be roughly where it has been the last two years in DC until the new stadium is ready, and then it will go up.

I've been to a few Nats games, and the fans, like the DC area are very diverse.

I believe Pinella and Girardi were the first two choices and they both declined for various reasons, and the reasons were not JimBo.

westofyou
10-26-2006, 01:03 PM
I believe Pinella and Girardi were the first two choices and they both declined for various reasons, and the reasons were not JimBo.

Yep, Lou wanted to be on a team "he" felt was closer and had the resources to get there quicker and Joe just got canned and has a 2 year contract that pays him to sit at home, why take a job that might not be a good fit after the year he just went through? If Girardi is really all that and a bag ofd chips then he'll get a chance at the golden ring again.