PDA

View Full Version : Comedy CDs

Razor Shines
10-26-2006, 12:23 AM
I am in my car a lot for work and I am always looking for new things to listen to. I really enjoy stand up comedy and I am looking online to buy some new CDs and I was wondering if anybody has any good recommendations. Anyway thanks in advance.

BuckeyeRed27
10-26-2006, 12:45 AM
Brian Regan

Razor Shines
10-26-2006, 12:48 AM
Brian Regan

Good one, got it though.

Caseyfan21
10-26-2006, 01:07 AM
I love the 3 Dane Cook CD's I have.

WMR
10-26-2006, 01:12 AM
Do you like your comedy BLUE or do you prefer the refried-Dane Cook-blah-blah-blah stuff?

LOL you can tell what I think of Dane "All the high school girls think I'm just the funniest thing ever" Cook

Caseyfan21
10-26-2006, 01:15 AM
Do you like your comedy BLUE or do you prefer the refried-Dane Cook-blah-blah-blah stuff?

LOL you can tell what I think of Dane "All the high school girls think I'm just the funniest thing ever" Cook

It's cool, everyone has different tastes, especially in stand up. I wasn't really aware that he was that popular with the high school crowd though. I heard about him through guys at college and I would say that's his main fan base but I could be wrong.

Also, Robin Williams is pretty funny, especially Live on Broadway (although that's a DVD).

WMR
10-26-2006, 01:18 AM
It's cool, everyone has different tastes, especially in stand up. I wasn't really aware that he was that popular with the high school crowd though. I heard about him through guys at college and I would say that's his main fan base but I could be wrong.

Also, Robin Williams is pretty funny, especially Live on Broadway (although that's a DVD).

I saw his special on HBO and I thought it really blew. JMO.

And I talked to a buddy who went to one of his concert shows and he said it was at least 70% teenage girls.

Different strokes.

Gilbert Gottfried has a really funny CD called "Dirty Jokes." WARNING: It is REALLY dirty. and tasteless. and funny.

WMR
10-26-2006, 01:20 AM
Kinison is funny...

Pryor...

Eddie Murphy before he went all "Pluto Nash."

Razor Shines
10-26-2006, 01:43 AM
I like it all, I have Dane Cook's CDs and I think he's pretty funny but I also have David Cross' CD and even though I disagree with most of what he says I still think he's a comedic genius.

Hollcat
10-26-2006, 03:02 AM
XM radio ch. 150

guttle11
10-26-2006, 03:02 AM
Mitch Hedberg, "Mitch All Together".

10-26-2006, 03:12 AM
Anyone know if live shows by comedians can be downloaded for free like music shows (legally of course)?

paintmered
10-26-2006, 07:30 AM
I'll second Mitch Hedberg....

Jim Gaffigan and Mike Birbiglia are also good. I saw Birbiglia live a few weeks ago and he didn't dissapoint. If you are into impressions, look no further than Kevin Pollak.

GAC
10-26-2006, 08:39 AM
Richard Pryor "Live In Concert" (1979)

One of the funniest routines I have ever heard. I had it memorized. :lol:

Steve Martin "Lets Get Small"

and...

http://www.artistdirect.com/Images/Sources/AMGCOVERS/music/cover200/drd800/d889/d88951i02w5.jpg

Blind Melon Chitlin
Wink Dinkerson
Trippin' In Court
Dave

All good stuff!

Ltlabner
10-26-2006, 09:02 AM
Bob Newhart - Button Down Mind
Bob Newhart - Button Down Mind Strikes Back
Shelley Berman - any of his older stuff
George Carlin - his older stuff (before he just started ranting and raving)
Dennis Miller - Off White Album
Bill Cosby - Himself and anything prior to that. After "Himself" not so much

Just a few ideas.

IowaRed
10-26-2006, 10:08 AM
I second Gaffigan and especially Brian Regan

Also, check out Uno or Pompous Clown by Jimmy Pardo
Bill Cosby-Wonderfulness was great to listen to when I was a kid, especially Chicken Heart, not sure how funny I would find it now
Kevin Bloody Wilson is worth a listen if you think you'd be interested in Australian comedic songs
For off-color songs try something by Dr. Dirty, John Valby

Johnny Footstool
10-26-2006, 10:26 AM
Dave Attell makes me ache with laughter, but he's extremely raunchy.
David Cross is hilarious - I love his bit about "Henderson Valley Eggs - You're Gonna Love Our EGGS!!!".
Mitch Hedberg was a genius, but his drug habit affected his performance on a couple of his albums.

Dom Heffner
10-26-2006, 10:40 AM
Mitch Hedberg, "Mitch All Together".

Yeah, I guess you could say I'd endorse that one.

minus5
10-26-2006, 10:42 AM

Just a few ideas.

Good call on the Newhart! Add Hello Dummy by Don Rickles and you really got something there!

RichRed
10-26-2006, 11:27 AM
Definitely agree on Regan, Hedberg and Gaffigan. Those 3 make me laugh out loud more than anyone else out there.

I'm also a big fan of Newhart.

westofyou
10-26-2006, 11:30 AM
Katt Williams

Ltlabner
10-26-2006, 11:55 AM
I'm also a big fan of Newhart.

Newhart's classic "Button Down Mind" album was a recording of his 1st ever stand up gig. The Warner Brothers lable guys had heard of Newhart and were looking to sign people so they had some meetings with him. Afterwards they took him to a Holliday Inn in Texas (IIRC) to record him.

They recorded his first show of the evening (which was Newhart's first ever professional stand up performance) but some drunk lady made too much noise and ruined the recording. So they recorded the second show which became the "Button Down Mind" album.

I've listened to that album (now CD) endlessly since I was in elementry school and only reciently heard this story (on a Newhart bio on TV - he told the story himself). All those years I thought this was an act refined through years and years of experience and trial.

Nope...just pure, raw tallent.

dabvu2498
10-26-2006, 12:01 PM
Jerry Clower

RichRed
10-26-2006, 12:12 PM
Ltlabner, maybe you already know but since you're a Newhart fan, you might want to check out his new book, "I Shouldn't Even Be Doing This (and Other Things That Strike Me as Funny)." I know I'd like to read it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061017/ap_en_tv/ap_on_tv_bob_newhart

Razor Shines
10-26-2006, 12:31 PM

Just a few ideas.

No body will ever play baseball!

Razor Shines
10-26-2006, 01:46 PM
I'll second Mitch Hedberg....

Jim Gaffigan and Mike Birbiglia are also good. I saw Birbiglia live a few weeks ago and he didn't dissapoint. If you are into impressions, look no further than Kevin Pollak.

I have seen Kevin Pollak live a couple times but I don't think he has any CDs out, I wish he did though.

paintmered
10-26-2006, 01:52 PM
I have seen Kevin Pollack live a couple times but I don't think he has any CDs out, I wish he did though.

psst...

http://www.kevinpollak.net/store.html

Ltlabner
10-26-2006, 01:54 PM
No body will ever play baseball!

So the batter may swing....or he may not. Depending on whether its a ball ???

:laugh:

Razor Shines
10-26-2006, 04:05 PM
psst...

http://www.kevinpollak.net/store.html

apparently amazon.com is not a good place to look. Thanks for the link.

RedsBaron
10-26-2006, 04:17 PM
Ltlabner, maybe you already know but since you're a Newhart fan, you might want to check out his new book, "I Shouldn't Even Be Doing This (and Other Things That Strike Me as Funny)." I know I'd like to read it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061017/ap_en_tv/ap_on_tv_bob_newhart

I read the book-a great read. I also recommend the 1997 live recording that Newhart did, "The Best of Bob." It has all his classic routines.

Johnny Footstool
10-27-2006, 10:48 AM
Katt Williams

Saw his HBO special last night. It was okay.

westofyou
10-27-2006, 10:51 AM
Saw his HBO special last night. It was okay.
Yeah, he has his moments... I liked the finale.

BTW He's from Cincinnati.

justincredible
10-27-2006, 01:51 PM
Mitch Hedberg - Strategic Grill Locations in addition to Mitch All Together.

Dom Heffner
10-27-2006, 03:51 PM
One of my favorite Mitch-isms:

You know they call corn-on-the-cob "corn-on-the-cob," but that's how it comes out of the ground, man. They should call that "corn," and call every other version "corn-off-the-cob." It's not like if you cut off my arm you would call it "Mitch," then reattach it and call me "Mitch-all-together."

And hence the name of the CD.

Here is a link to an article published after his death. I attended some of the crappy shows they talked about towards the end of his life. He was so wasted I couldn't understand the jokes. But a brilliant, brilliant, man.

http://www.ew.com/ew/report/0,6115,1080613_7|107172||0_0_,00.html

Roy Tucker
10-27-2006, 04:33 PM
They're not CDs, but I recommend Richard Pryor's first 2 recorded live movies, "Live in Concert" and "Live on the Sunset Strip".

IMO, the first one is best. The second one has him talking about when he lit himself on fire while free-basing. Horrendous yet hilarious.

GAC
10-27-2006, 04:44 PM
They're not CDs, but I recommend Richard Pryor's first 2 recorded live movies, "Live in Concert" and "Live on the Sunset Strip".

IMO, the first one is best. The second one has him talking about when he lit himself on fire while free-basing. Horrendous yet hilarious.

That first one is a pure classic.

The Wino...

"Hey ice cream boy! You better slow that thing down! This is the neighborhood, this ain't no residential district. Oh yea! Well step on out here then. I got something for your *SS! I'm a veteran of World War 1 BOY! The Battle of Chateau Bryant. I got mustard gas wounds all over my body!"

:lol:

guttle11
10-27-2006, 04:50 PM
One of my favorite Mitch-isms:

You know they call corn-on-the-cob "corn-on-the-cob," but that's how it comes out of the ground, man. They should call that "corn," and call every other version "corn-off-the-cob." It's not like if you cut off my arm you would call it "Mitch," then reattach it and call me "Mitch-all-together."

And hence the name of the CD.

Here is a link to an article published after his death. I attended some of the crappy shows they talked about towards the end of his life. He was so wasted I couldn't understand the jokes. But a brilliant, brilliant, man.

http://www.ew.com/ew/report/0,6115,1080613_7|107172||0_0_,00.html

I actually post on another message board with a guy who actually is a cousin of Mitch. The humor runs in the family.

Strategic Grill Locations is a scattered mess, to say the least. Some great lines, but you could just hear how high he was, and you could tell his stage anxiety was in control of him that night.

"I played golf, I'm not good at golf, I never got a hole-in-one ... but I did hit a guy. And that's way more satisfying. You're supposed to yell "fore," but I was too busy mumbling, "There ain't no way that's gonna hit him." I hit a guy in one. What's par for hitting a guy? One. If you hit a guy in two, you are an (meanie)."

cinredsfan2000
10-27-2006, 07:52 PM
Denis leary-No cure for cancer

Razor Shines
10-27-2006, 11:09 PM
Denis leary-No cure for cancer

I've got that one and I like it but I think that Lock 'N Load is better.

LawFive
10-28-2006, 12:54 PM
If you are into impressions, look no further than Kevin Pollak.

Frankenstein never scared me.

Marsupials do.

Cause they're fast!

BoydsOfSummer
10-30-2006, 06:18 PM
My buddy has a couple of those Dave Attel cd's. At one point I was laughing so hard I couldn't breathe and Sam Adams Cherry Wheat was leaking out my nose. Good times.

Johnny Footstool
10-30-2006, 06:31 PM
My buddy has a couple of those Dave Attel cd's. At one point I was laughing so hard I couldn't breathe and Sam Adams Cherry Wheat was leaking out my nose. Good times.

Clowns and midgets. Works every time.