PDA

View Full Version : The one definite thing about the 2007 Reds will be...

Wheelhouse
10-26-2006, 11:51 PM
Just thought it would be interesting to see where people think the team is going...

OldRightHander
10-26-2006, 11:53 PM
They will win 100% of the games in which they score more runs than their opponent.

redsrule2500
10-26-2006, 11:58 PM
They will win 100% of the games in which they score more runs than their opponent as long as it is 6 innings

:p:

OldRightHander
10-27-2006, 12:02 AM
:p:

Smart :mooner:

Tornon
10-27-2006, 12:30 AM
The bullpen HAS to be better than it was this year, right?

Cyclone792
10-27-2006, 12:42 AM
I'm curious to see if this offense will manage to at least score 720 runs next season.

Will Wayne Krivsky figure out the magic formula on how to lose 100 runs of offense in only two seasons? We'll sure find out.

KronoRed
10-27-2006, 01:35 AM
Narron will manage 162 games.

guttle11
10-27-2006, 02:26 AM
Homer Bailey will make a start before July 1st.

Other than that, there's a plethora of directions this team could go in the offseason, including "status quo."

GAC
10-27-2006, 07:04 AM
This off-season will be very telling for me.

"Telling" in the sense - not that they go out and make some slobberknocker trade; but that they begin to show us, the fans, evidence of their building plan for after the '07 season, and then after the '08 season, when the bad contracts are gone.

Cyclone said something last week that stuck with me.... basically minimizing bad decisions.

Over the last 6 years this organization has done just the opposite.

You look collectively at the contracts given out, players acquired or traded for, and can you count on one hand those that were based on good decisions and would prove to not only be beneficial in the longrun to this organization, but also not hamstring us?

The Jr trade... I'm not referring to his injuries, which led to a decreased contribution. We, as an organization, didn't have, and never should have, tied up that kind of money in one player when in the longrun it was going to prevent us from investing in other vital areas.

Larkin contract... fan capitulation to a Cincy icon. Sentimentality, tradition, wanting to preserve the Larkin "mystique" at SS - whatever you want to call it. Again, was it a good decision seeing that age and injuries was forcing him to average 80-90 games a year over that contract, and that it was affecting his overall contribution/performance? Set your sentimentality and love for Lark aside for a second and think about it.

Danny Graves - convert him to a starter? nuff said.

Sean Casey - I'm a Casey fan and defender. But I have to put my sentiment aside and say, considering the position this team was in, and priorities that needed to be addressed on this team, it's wasn't a good deal. A terrible contract/decision in comparison to the above? Not as bad. Why was he signed? See Larkin above. ;)

And then you have the pitching fiascos.....

Harnisch, Wilson, Osvaldo, Acevdo, Davis, Haynes, Hamilton, Estes, Dempster

It goes on and on and on.... and ends with a guy named Milton.

The previous FO spent money. They just didn't send it wisely.

Take a good hard look at that list above. And it's nowhere a complete and comprehensive list. I could have gone on and mentioned the mishandling of drafts and our farm system, and guys with names like Larson, Deion, and Jose; but I didn't want to soak my keyboard with tears.

Highlights? Dunn, Kearns, EE, and maybe kids like Bailey, Votto, and Bruce. We'll see.

But this is the organization that Castellini "inherited" from Lindner, Bowden, Allen, and the rest of the Sesame Street Gang, and decided he wanted to take over. Now either the guy is nutso and needs to be given numerous ink blot tests OR he really does have a passion for Cincy baseball and wants to make a serious effort to turn it around AND feels he can.

But it is not going to be a quick fix.

I think some are going to be in for a let down if they think Cas/Kriv are going to go out in this off-season and make some slobberknocker trade that will right this ship in '07. It's not an impossibility obviously. But when I look at our need, and the tightness of the pitching market, IMHO, it's gonna be rough.

They were left with no room for error.

We can all talk about and propose trade ideas on here. It's fun, and great debate. But in the real world, and seeing the position the former FO left them in, this FO is backed into a corner and is really going to have to be on their toes to try and begin to correct some of these blunders.

And a couple of these "blunders" (Jr, Milton) are only going to be corrected when their contracts expire.

Unless Milty pitches up a storm in the first half and we can unload him by the trading deadline to some suc.... er, contender.

That is going to be the "telling point" for me concerning this current FO.

I want to see them begin to reverse the past trends, do their homework, avoid making rash/bad decisions (gut check time), and make acquistions that will begin to put the pieces together incrementally (baby steps) and longterm.

Because right now - this team is saddled with the Griffey and Milton contracts. Almost 20 Mil in guaranteed monies. That is alot of money for an organization/market the size of Cincy. Organizations like the Yanks and Boston can "overcome" or absorb bad decisions like that. We can't.

But what we can do is learn from them, and quit making them.