PDA

View Full Version : Writers demand MLB not give St. Louis '09 All-Star game until Stadium is improved

jmcclain19
10-27-2006, 07:09 AM
Looks like not everyone is a fan of the new Busch Stadium.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/cardinals/story/A9DD9AFF3A15CC20862572130016AE84?OpenDocument

The Baseball Writers' Association of America moved Wednesday to request that Major League Baseball withhold awarding the 2009 All-Star Game to the Cardinals until significant improvements are made to a press facility the organization considers unacceptable to host a special event.

Commissioner Bud Selig described the matter as "a real and valid" issue Wednesday and acknowledged being made aware of the writers' concerns.

"It's always a significant issue. I'm sensitive to it, and I know the issues are real and valid," Selig said. "The question is what can be done about it, and I don't have an answer about it right now."

Major League Baseball is expected to award the 2008 All-Star Game to the New York Yankees, who will move from current Yankee Stadium into a new stadium the following year. The Cardinals have not hosted an All-Star Game since 1966 but are expected to receive the 2009 event as reward for their new facility. Next July's game will be played in San Francisco. The Busch Stadium press facility has been criticized by media since the park opened this April. During construction of the stadium, Cardinals officials waived architect HOK's standard design, opting for a less costly, exposed press box offering neither air conditioning nor heat. The club originally intended to locate the press facility down the right-field line until Major League Baseball mandated that it be situated behind home plate.

Journalists weren't the only ones subject to the spartan conditions. The club placed its public relations offices in a windowless cinder block space also lacking heat and air conditioning.

Other complaints include poor sight lines from the box's second row. Media members not sitting in the front row are unable to see the stadium scoreboard or follow fly balls unless they lay their heads flat on the table.

City fire marshals on several occasions ordered closed a media workroom when smoke from an adjacent concession area permeated the wall separating the two.

Club officials have suggested improvements might be made to the press facility but have not specified what those improvements might be or when they would be made.

"I don't know what can be done about it," Selig said. The BBWAA "should send me a letter about it, and I will see what can be done about it." Cardinals president Mark Lamping said Wednesday night many of this season's complications can be traced to the club not moving into its new front office until earlier this month. Space dedicated for media use was assigned to the public relations staff. Lamping confirmed that additional modifications are being considered.

"It's been our desire from the outset to create as comfortable an experience for our fans and media as possible," Lamping said. "After this season is over, I'm sure we'll take a look at how to do that."

Lamping said a significant number of St. Louis media argued against a permanently enclosed press facility. Few, however, have complained about the possibility of installing retractable windows along with climate control.

The BBWAA added its complaints about the facility to its agenda Wednesday after a number of its members were shocked by conditions encountered during the postseason. MLB officials who were unimpressed on opening day remain so despite minor adjustments that included removal of exposed insulation.

"I can't believe anyone would build a brand new ballpark with an open press box," said incoming BBWAA president Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer. "If you're going to play in October and get weather like this, you're going to get this."

Similar complaints were made about the PNC Park press box before Pittsburgh hosted this July's All-Star Game. PNC, like Busch, has an upper-level press facility without windows.

Complaints were forwarded to the club; however, no significant improvements were made.

Crosley68
10-27-2006, 09:57 AM
You mean to tell me that the mecca of sports towns' perfect little stadium is not so perfect?

wolfboy
10-27-2006, 10:02 AM
What a dump. They should give it to us instead. :thumbup:

Joseph
10-27-2006, 10:21 AM
I've heard nothing but bad things about this stadium, even from the Cards fans I work with.

Unassisted
10-27-2006, 10:26 AM
The writers may complain about the stadium, but that doesn't mean their bosses won't send them to cover an ASG that's held there. I don't think they have any real leverage here.

Caseyfan21
10-27-2006, 10:37 AM
I wasn't impressed with this stadium at all. I think it is similar to GABP in that it's too plain and has nothing that makes it stand out. I think it would be a silly idea for the Cards or Reds to host an ASG until the develop the land around hte stadium. The Cards actually have some major development plans in order for the old Busch Stadium lot and waiting until that is done would certainly let them provide a better all around impression.

Matt700wlw
10-27-2006, 10:45 AM
:wave:

Come here! Come here!

:)

Johnny Footstool
10-27-2006, 10:45 AM
I love how the Cardinals get the All-Star game three short years after their new stadium opens, but GABP isn't even on the long-range schedule.

westofyou
10-27-2006, 10:56 AM
During construction of the stadium, Cardinals officials waived architect HOK's standard design, opting for a less costly, exposed press box offering neither air conditioning nor heat.

I blame John Allen.

Chip R
10-27-2006, 11:11 AM
I love how the Cardinals get the All-Star game three short years after their new stadium opens, but GABP isn't even on the long-range schedule.

Well, we've had 2 ASGs since they have had their last one.

Falls City Beer
10-27-2006, 11:18 AM
GAB blows away the new Cards park. It's not even close.

redsfan30
10-27-2006, 11:19 AM
I've thought from day one that that place opened that it didn't look like anything special. It's nice, but nothing that jumps out at me.

It looks too much like the old stadium on the inside.

Yachtzee
10-27-2006, 11:20 AM
You stay class, St. Louis.

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/6/69/200px-WillFerrell.jpg

Joseph
10-27-2006, 12:46 PM
The writers may complain about the stadium, but that doesn't mean their bosses won't send them to cover an ASG that's held there. I don't think they have any real leverage here.

I agree, they don't have leverage, but also remember that they can write a nice negative story about how hot it was in July and how that made the whole All-Star Game terrible and how MLB blew it. Negative press, negative press, negative press.

wolfboy
10-27-2006, 12:58 PM
I agree, they don't have leverage, but also remember that they can write a nice negative story about how hot it was in July and how that made the whole All-Star Game terrible and how MLB blew it. Negative press, negative press, negative press.

This was my thought as well. I think they have a lot of leverage.

OnBaseMachine
10-27-2006, 05:54 PM
The Cardinals new stadium looks like total crap to me. Looks exactly like the old Busch, except leftcenter is now open as opposed to the old cookie-cutter look in the old stadium.

guttle11
10-27-2006, 06:00 PM
They should reattach the upper deck, as well.

KronoRed
10-27-2006, 06:01 PM
We'll take the 09 game..no problem :D

redsfanmia
10-27-2006, 06:03 PM
GAB blows away the new Cards park. It's not even close.

If its not as nice as GABP then it must be terrible. GABP is not very impressive IMO. In fact I liked Riverfront/Cinergy better when they took out centerfield.

TC81190
10-27-2006, 06:04 PM

Agreed. Who's the genius behind scheduling these things anyway?

Falls City Beer
10-27-2006, 06:47 PM
If its not as nice as GABP then it must be terrible. GABP is not very impressive IMO. In fact I liked Riverfront/Cinergy better when they took out centerfield.

To each his own. I think it's fantastic. One of the five best in all of MLB, IMO.

redsrule2500
10-27-2006, 08:13 PM
I wonder why Cincy gets the shaft. I used to think it was just in strict order back and forth. But nope...

OnBaseMachine
10-27-2006, 08:34 PM
To each his own. I think it's fantastic. One of the five best in all of MLB, IMO.

Agreed.

Matt700wlw
10-27-2006, 08:36 PM
I wonder why Cincy gets the shaft. I used to think it was just in strict order back and forth. But nope...

I blame Pete Rose :D

TeamBoone
10-27-2006, 11:11 PM
I agree that it's unfair.

On a similar note, IMHO it's also unfair that unless a northern city has a covered stadium, they never get to host a Superbowl. I know it's played in the dead of winter but so what? It's football for Pete's sake! They play in all those stadiums up until the two weeks prior to the Superbowl.

That game brings in a lot of money to the host city... and look at all those who will never have a chance to host it while the the warm cities and covered stadiums get it multiple times each.

George Foster
10-28-2006, 12:08 AM
I agree that it's unfair.

On a similar note, IMHO it's also unfair that unless a northern city has a covered stadium, they never get to host a Superbowl. I know it's played in the dead of winter but so what? It's football for Pete's sake! They play in all those stadiums up until the two weeks prior to the Superbowl.

That game brings in a lot of money to the host city... and look at all those who will never have a chance to host it while the the warm cities and covered stadiums get it multiple times each.

It's a 2 week paid vacation for the NFL "higher ups" and the rest of the leagues front offices. Each team gets a butt load of tickets. They deside were it is going to be played. It's not fair but I would prefer to spend 2 weeks in Miami over Minnapolis in January.

Cooper
10-28-2006, 12:56 PM
If that stadium is the greatest thing in the world for the fans, but it makes 100-200 journalists unhappy -then the journalists will declare it the worst stadium in baseball. Doesn't matter if the buying public says it's great-best thing since sliced bread.

90% of what's talked about with Marty and the beat journalist (2nd inning) are how things are set up for them (sight lines, weather, food, hotel accommadations, air conditioning, etc....). Rarely does the average listening fan give a dang about these things, but to journalists and the like -well, these are the things that make a ballpark good or bad. Rarely do they mention what the BUYING publics strengths/limitations about a ballpark (ticket prices, close seats that don't cost a lot, etc...). I guess what i'm saying is --they don't care about our experience at a ball game --why in the heck do i have to listen to them whine about things that none of us will ever come close to experiencing.

redsfanmia
10-28-2006, 05:20 PM

I think its nice and clean but boring, nothing special about it and it reeks of cutting things so it would come in under budget. It is run of the mill and is dissappointing compared to Paul Brown Stadium which is an absolute palace.

KronoRed
10-28-2006, 05:26 PM
Blame the bengals, their place cost over twice as much as the Reds.

Falls City Beer
10-28-2006, 06:45 PM
I think its nice and clean but boring, nothing special about it and it reeks of cutting things so it would come in under budget. It is run of the mill and is dissappointing compared to Paul Brown Stadium which is an absolute palace.

I really like its simplicity. It may be the byproduct of cheapness, but it worked out alright. Plus, I'm one of, like, 8 people who likes that the park faces the river/hills of Kentucky.

I think most of the new parks (Houston, St. Louis, Arizona) are ugly as sin. In an attempt to capture a retro look, they ended up building 300 million dollar Bennigans.

Cooper
10-28-2006, 07:20 PM
The stadiums all look alike and iirc they were all designed by HOK. Many minor laugue parks have been designed by HOK. It's amazing the amount of Orwellian thinking that occurs between baseball clubs. In another 5 years, we'll all miss the cookie cutter stadiums cause at least they'd look and feel a little different than what is built now.

i think it would be cool if one team would build a stadium with the a top deck that would over look the bottom in a a big way-the kind where they have poles that may block some vision on the bottom level, but allow the upper level folks to be 50 -60 feet closer to the action than a comparable seat in an HOK stadium.

RedsBaron
10-28-2006, 09:19 PM
I really like its simplicity. It may be the byproduct of cheapness, but it worked out alright. Plus, I'm one of, like, 8 people who likes that the park faces the river/hills of Kentucky.

I love GABP.

Yachtzee
10-28-2006, 09:35 PM

I think most of the new parks (Houston, St. Louis, Arizona) are ugly as sin. In an attempt to capture a retro look, they ended up building 300 million dollar Bennigans.

I agree 100%. Count me as one of the GABP 8.

I think some of the new parks really do look contrived. Houston especially.

jmcclain19
10-28-2006, 09:41 PM
In an attempt to capture a retro look, they ended up building 300 million dollar Bennigans.

mmm..sampler

Ltlabner
10-28-2006, 09:41 PM

I've not be to any of the other parks but I really do like GABP. It does have that sense of simplicity but it's somehow got charicter.

And I'm in your "gang of 8" FCB because I like the view of the river and hills also. Much better than facing a bunch of buildings, IMO.

Team Clark
10-28-2006, 09:43 PM
GABP Press Box is open but I believe heat and A/C are available. I had heard that there was a retractable window but every time I have been in that area there has been really good weather.

Ltlabner
10-28-2006, 09:44 PM
GABP Press Box is open but I believe heat and A/C are available. I had heard that there was a retractable window but every time I have been in that area there has been really good weather.

You are correct TC about the retractable window. I've seen them shut it.

paintmered
10-29-2006, 08:17 PM

I'm in that group of 8 also.

Outside of the smoke-stacks (good idea, poorly implimented) and the batters eye, I love GABP. I'm there to watch a baseball game and it allows me to do that no matter where I sit. The sight-lines are wonderful and it doesn't seem gimmicky.

Hopefully the new paint job will help the batters eye.

redsfanmia
10-29-2006, 08:45 PM
I agree that GABP has great sight lines i have been to around 25 to 30 games there and have yet to had a bad seat. I just wish that when the Reds designed/built the staduim their main concern wasnt coming in under budget. Its a nice park but it could have been so much nicer IMO. The hall of fame does add a bit to it, but over all I was just dissappointed in it

penantboundreds
10-30-2006, 01:16 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/10/30/city.crime.ap/index.html ....busch stadium does not deserve the all star game.

savafan
10-30-2006, 02:37 PM
Count me in also in the group of 8 that love GABP!

vaticanplum
10-30-2006, 02:41 PM
I love it very much too, even though it had to grow on me a bit. In most places it feels like the most wide-open stadium in the world. Nothing but baseball and sky.

KronoRed
10-30-2006, 04:41 PM
I think GABO would get a better rep if it wasn't surrounded by an arena from the 1970's, an 8 lane highway and a big ditch of nothing.

It's all about the neighborhood.

KoryMac5
01-16-2007, 01:50 PM
The 2008 All Star game has been awarded to the Yankee's and the 2009 goes to the Redbirds according to ESPN.

vaticanplum
01-16-2007, 02:34 PM
The 2008 All Star game has been awarded to the Yankee's

I'm so happy about this, and I think it's appropriate given last year and all that. Pricing on my soul begins immediately.

Chip R
01-16-2007, 02:44 PM
I know a lot of people are ticked that StL got their ASG before GAB did but StL hasn't hosted an ASG in like 40 years and we've had 2 since then. I can't remember Yankee Stadium hosting one since I started following the ASGs back in the mid-70s.

vaticanplum
01-16-2007, 02:49 PM
I know a lot of people are ticked that StL got their ASG before GAB did but StL hasn't hosted an ASG in like 40 years and we've had 2 since then. I can't remember Yankee Stadium hosting one since I started following the ASGs back in the mid-70s.

The last year Yankee Stadium hosted the All-Star game was 77.

I believe that every non-expansion team has held one since then. They are due, even without the new stadium thing.

edit: I mean both of these teams are due, not just the Yankees.

Chip R
01-16-2007, 02:55 PM
The last year Yankee Stadium hosted the All-Star game was 77.

Yeah, I seem to vaguely remember them playing an ASG there around that time. But I wasn't sure.