PDA

View Full Version : Casey

Reds1
10-28-2006, 01:09 AM
Boy, seeing Casey swing the bat in the series made me want him back in cincy. :help:

6-8 the last two games with 2 HRs and almost like 3 more. He was on fire hitting pitchers no one else on the Tigers could hit. I was happy for him even though the Tigers lost

Good job Casey! The Major.

jimbo
10-28-2006, 01:26 AM
Casey had a great postseason all around. It's too bad the rest of the lineup couldn't get the job done to bring home a ring. It was great to see him excelling in the spotlight.

paulrichjr
10-28-2006, 01:51 AM
If he had hit 1/2 that good in Cincinnati this year we would have been in the playoffs. Maybe that deal was not so smart.

Phhhl
10-28-2006, 01:59 AM
If he had hit 1/2 that good in Cincinnati this year we would have been in the playoffs. Maybe that deal was not so smart.

Scott Hatteberg outperformed Sean this year. I was really happy for him for the way he played in the postseason. I wish he would have got a ring. But, he wouldn't have put this team over the top.

redsrule2500
10-28-2006, 04:17 AM
I wish we had Casey since he was traded.

Highlifeman21
10-28-2006, 08:31 AM
I forget what game it was, I think maybe game 4, with the ball hit to Rodney and he tossed it over Casey's head. Watching him attempt to jump for the ball was painful to watch. I'm not sure if his feet actually left the ground. Casey was sort of a feel good story for us (well, maybe you guys) since he is a good guy, and he finally got a shot for some postseason hardware,, but unfortunately he was the only one who had a remote clue about how to hit that overachieving Cardinal pitching.

The MVP of that series wasn't David freakin Eckstein, it was Dave Duncan. This is why most of the Reds' pitching sucks something awful, b/c we don't have a pitching coach to actually bring their games to higher levels at the appropriate times.

Here's to you Dave Duncan, you're far more valuable to the Cardinals than Tony LaRussa will ever be. :beerme:

Reds1
10-28-2006, 09:50 AM
I forget what game it was, I think maybe game 4, with the ball hit to Rodney and he tossed it over Casey's head. Watching him attempt to jump for the ball was painful to watch.

Maybe so on the jump, but casey made a great pick on a ball in the dirt that saved a couple runs in a key situation, but I agree with the way Hatte played and Casey's what 8.5 million salary it was a good deal for the Reds. It was still nice to see. He was really driving the ball last night. If that was in GABP he would have had 3 HRs last night.

Hubba
10-28-2006, 10:55 AM
You cant make a silk purse out of pig ears you know .
I forget what game it was, I think maybe game 4, with the ball hit to Rodney and he tossed it over Casey's head. Watching him attempt to jump for the ball was painful to watch. I'm not sure if his feet actually left the ground. Casey was sort of a feel good story for us (well, maybe you guys) since he is a good guy, and he finally got a shot for some postseason hardware,, but unfortunately he was the only one who had a remote clue about how to hit that overachieving Cardinal pitching.

The MVP of that series wasn't David freakin Eckstein, it was Dave Duncan. This is was most of the Reds' pitching sucks something awful, b/c we don't have a pitching coach to actually bring their games to higher levels at the appropriate times.

Here's to you Dave Duncan, you're far more valuable to the Cardinals than Tony LaRussa will ever be. :beerme:

RedsManRick
10-28-2006, 11:17 AM
It was fun seeing Casey hit again. That Casey of '99, '00, and '04 was a fun hitter to watch. I bet he made himself a decent chunk of money by showing he can still swing the bat. It will be interesting to see where he ends up in FA.

remdog
10-28-2006, 11:32 AM
If you want to second guess the Casey trade you should be second guessing why it wasn't made at least a year ealier.

Casey would not have helped this team over the top in '06 just as he wouldn't in '07.

Rem

westofyou
10-28-2006, 11:53 AM
Just walk away Renee
You won't see me follow you back home
The empty sidewalks on my block
They're not the same
You're not to blame

traderumor
10-28-2006, 12:10 PM
Casey had a great WS, that was awesome to see, but let's not look past this:
OBP .336 overall, .286 in 53 games with the Tigers
OPS .724 overall, .650 with the Tigers

Hatteberg holding a place until Votto takes over is fine by me.

Spring~Fields
10-28-2006, 01:06 PM
I wish we had Casey since he was traded.

If the Reds organization would have received something in return for Casey, or even a Kearns, and Lopez that really benefited the teams ability to be successful on the field it might have made the trade or trades seem more reasonable.

Jr's Boy
10-28-2006, 01:09 PM
Just walk away Renee
You won't see me follow you back home
The empty sidewalks on my block
They're not the same
You're not to blame

Who wrote that song?It's a catchy tune.

Matt700wlw
10-28-2006, 01:13 PM
I wish he could have gotten a ring.

A guy like him deserves it.

jimbo
10-28-2006, 01:23 PM
If the Reds organization would have received something in return for Casey.........

And if the money saved in the deal would have been used as stated it would.

TC81190
10-28-2006, 01:27 PM

The MVP of that series wasn't David freakin Eckstein, it was Dave Duncan. This is was most of the Reds' pitching sucks something awful, b/c we don't have a pitching coach to actually bring their games to higher levels at the appropriate times.

Yeah, and ESPN is already talking about how much the Cards are gonna have to pay to keep Jeff Weaver. :laugh:

I hope they do.

Spring~Fields
10-28-2006, 01:28 PM

That's right, if they would have received quality players in return that really contributed to success, and saved cash resources and applied them wisely, they could have had their cake and eat it too.

Falls City Beer
10-28-2006, 01:30 PM
Yeah, and ESPN is already talking about how much the Cards are gonna have to pay to keep Jeff Weaver. :laugh:

I hope they do.

I think the Cards would make a bigger mistake in breaking what's fixed by putting Wainwright in the rotation.

I imagine under Duncan's watch, Weaver could be league average in the NL.

GAC
10-28-2006, 01:52 PM

That was the key for me. I don't think Casey (and his contract) made him very desirable around MLB. Freeing up the money was of most importance to me.

But then I looked at who held the reins, and was in charge of "investing" it... and I just shook my head. :rolleyes:

Highlifeman21
10-28-2006, 01:57 PM

I hope they do.

I don't see Weaver enjoying continued success in STL, even with a regular dose of the Dave Duncan kool aid.

Shell it out for Jeff Weaver STL, we all hope you do.

Matt700wlw
10-28-2006, 02:15 PM
I don't see Weaver enjoying continued success in STL, even with a regular dose of the Dave Duncan kool aid.

Shell it out for Jeff Weaver STL, we all hope you do.

The Jeff Weaver in the postseason wasn't reality....

It was a shell of the former self he never was....

TeamBoone
10-29-2006, 12:38 AM

Don't forget, he's still nursing a calf injury.

Highlifeman21
10-29-2006, 04:05 AM
Don't forget, he's still nursing a calf injury.

Calf injury or not, he still has no wheels and even less vertical. Sean Casey right now is the prototypical slap hitter DH.

macro
10-29-2006, 03:01 PM
I have no desire to see Sean Casey wearing a Reds uniform again.

westofyou
10-29-2006, 03:11 PM
I have no desire to see Sean Casey wearing a Reds uniform again.

Unless they call him coach or it's old timers day.

LoganBuck
10-29-2006, 05:10 PM
I would love to see Casey back in a Reds Uniform, perhaps as early as Baseball Heaven 2025.

TeamBoone
10-29-2006, 05:45 PM
You guys are awfully hard on Casey. Why? Can't you just be happy for him that his team made it to the WS and that he personally had a pretty good postseason run?

Slap hitter or not, he gets it done at the plate more often than not... at 1B as well.

So he's slow; he can't help that... it doesn't mean he's a horrible player.

Chip R
10-29-2006, 08:08 PM
You guys are awfully hard on Casey. Why? Can't you just be happy for him that his team made it to the WS and that he personally had a pretty good postseason run?

Slap hitter or not, he gets it done at the plate more often than not... at 1B as well.

So he's slow; he can't help that... it doesn't mean he's a horrible player.

I'm happy for him. He played well for the Reds so I wish him good luck wherever he goes. And, I'm guessing, that that WS performance just made him a lot of money next year. But let's not pretend he was the difference maker in the Tigers making the playoffs. He certainly didn't help PIT that much. Someone is going to overpay for him. I'm just glad it isn't the Reds. That isn't to say he isn't a good ballplayer but he's not a great one and certainly doesn't need to be paid like one. But if someone wants to give him $5-7M next year, it makes no difference to me. While we certainly didn't get much in return, trading him eliminated the agony that would have occurred if he were still here and became a free agent. If it were up to someone like TB, and this is no knock against TB, she would re-sign him to a very generous deal. But if it were up to someone like macro, Casey would be sent packing. So you can see the gulf between the two sides and how it would get played out and only one side would be happy.

jimbo
10-29-2006, 10:47 PM
But if someone wants to give him $5-7M next year, it makes no difference to me.

I don't think there's any chance he'll get that kind of the money this time around. I also don't think anyone will argue that what he was getting paid this season and last was too much, but blame that on O'Brien. He's still a good hitter and a better than average first baseman that can help a lot of teams. He may not have been the difference maker for the Tigers, but he did end up playing a vital role and I would venture to guess his manager and teammates would say the same thing.

It just gets old around here whenever someone says anything positive about Casey and the thread ends up turning into another bash session.

Chip R
10-30-2006, 12:10 AM
I don't think there's any chance he'll get that kind of the money this time around. I also don't think anyone will argue that what he was getting paid this season and last was too much, but blame that on O'Brien. He's still a good hitter and a better than average first baseman that can help a lot of teams. He may not have been the difference maker for the Tigers, but he did end up playing a vital role and I would venture to guess his manager and teammates would say the same thing.

It just gets old around here whenever someone says anything positive about Casey and the thread ends up turning into another bash session.

Maybe he won't. I guarantee he wouldn't have had he not gone to the post season. But there are teams out there who look at what a guy did on the big stage and will overpay because they feel that once they get there, that guy can carry them all the way. Casey has 3 things going for him. He's a great person, he's a very good average hitter and he excelled in the World Series although since they lost 4 games to 1, I'm not sure how vital his role was.

I don't like to see people bash him either but you have to expect that if a thread about him is started. Much like if someone starts a thread about Dunn, everyone has a strong opinion about him pro or con. About the only way to avoid it is to not start threads about him one way or the other.

TeamBoone
10-30-2006, 01:15 AM
I'm guessing, that that WS performance just made him a lot of money next year. But let's not pretend he was the difference maker in the Tigers making the playoffs. If it were up to someone like TB, and this is no knock against TB, she would re-sign him to a very generous deal. But if it were up to someone like macro, Casey would be sent packing. So you can see the gulf between the two sides and how it would get played out and only one side would be happy.

Ummmmm, Chip... I don't remember anyone saying he was the difference maker in the Tigers making the playoffs, only that he contributed... which he did. Also, I don't think I mentioned my feelings regarding re-signing Sean Casey to the Reds. I simply questioned why people can't be happy for him.

From the original post, I thought this was going to be a feel-good thread about Casey only to find upon reading it that it's turned into yet another thread putting him down, people glad he was traded, people who don't want him back, people who think he's slow and particularly bad at first base, and those who think he's a slap hitter and we all know that they don't contribute to their teams.

I was simply trying to stick up for a nice guy, a decent ball player, and one that I'm proud to say was part of our Reds team for 8 years. I follow his career and am happy for him this year.

TeamCasey
10-30-2006, 08:27 AM

Exactly ..... and two years later.

It gets old when anyone says anything positive about ANYTHING anymore. It either turns really negative or into a pissing match. Nothing you can do about it but selectively read.

RANDY IN INDY
10-30-2006, 09:21 AM
Exactly ..... and two years later.

It gets old when anyone says anything positive about ANYTHING anymore. It either turns really negative or into a pissing match. Nothing you can do about it but selectively read.

Scarlet, you are on to something.:beerme:

mbgrayson
10-30-2006, 10:29 AM
I forget what game it was, I think maybe game 4, with the ball hit to Rodney and he tossed it over Casey's head. Watching him attempt to jump for the ball was painful to watch.

This was not Sean Casey jumping, but 2nd baseman Polanco. Game 4, bottom of the 7th inning. Eckstein on 2nd, So Taguchi at the plate. Taguchi laid down a nice bunt, Casey and Rodney charge, Rodney barehands and throws over Polanco's head, allowing Eckstein to score the tying run.

McCarver got it right that night when he called the play, but in Game 5 he did mis-state that Rodney threw the ball over Casey's head.

I miss Sean too. It seemed in some way that he was the heart and soul of the Reds in 2004 and 2005....although they won more games in 2006.

macro
10-30-2006, 11:10 AM
Chip has saved me a lot of keystrokes with his posts, but I will add that I guess I shouldn't have been so blunt in saying that I really have no desire to see the Reds get Casey back. I was being grumpy because the Bengals lost again.

That being said, I was replying to the original post in this thread, where Reds1 said...

Boy, seeing Casey swing the bat in the series made me want him back in cincy.

Hey, I'm happy for Casey. I smiled with each home run he hit, and I wish they were sizing him for a ring right now. But if it's fair for people to keep bringing up that they want him back here, it's fair for others to say that they don't. I would not have even replied to the thread if the desire to bring him back hadn't been brought up.

westofyou
10-30-2006, 11:16 AM
But if it's fair for people to keep bringing up that they want him back here, it's fair for others to say that they don't.
Yep, the first post set the tone, and any other tone is a result of that, and IMO no one should be attacked for not wanting Casey back... especially if they are replying to the idea the first thread makes crystal clear to anyone who read back that far.

TeamCasey
10-30-2006, 12:03 PM
I'm not attacking anyone.

I actually thought there would be more Casey trashing threads throughout the series. Someone pointed out a positive one. I told them over the weekend to watch where it goes. I was right.

It doesn't need to be Casey. Insert any other player for the same results.

westofyou
10-30-2006, 12:20 PM
It doesn't need to be Casey. Insert any other player for the same results."Players" they are being evauated as "Players" that's why you get folks not wanting him back, because they are looking at the player, the salary slot and the effect it has on every other roster spot of the Reds. Sean Casey is a wonderful human being, tops of the pops from what I hear, but if someone states they want him on Reds then I'd expect an evaluation of that request; one that looks at Sean the player not the person and if any player other than Pujols is mentioned here I'd expect pretty much the same as well.