PDA

View Full Version : If you are going to trade Dunn...

Spike
10-28-2006, 10:43 PM
I have always shook my head whenever the Dunn trade talk comes up. I am a huge fan, (whether that would transfer to a new team, I don't know), but just recently, with the end of the year blahs, I started to think "what would I trade Adam Dunn for?" And you know how that goes, once you consider something, it starts to become reality thinking.

And here is one of the few trades I would do, and one with much thought, makes a lot of sense. Would the other team do it, I am not sure, that is why I give it credence.

Adam Dunn for Jake Peavy

I would try to figure out a way to get Mike Cameron with him, but I would do it straight up. Would anyone else?

Here is a quote from MLB.com that outlines the Padres' biggest need.

Biggest need: No surprise, the Padres need a power hitter with some consistency at the plate. PETCO Park is a pitcher's park, but San Diego needs another bat that can take advantage of PETCO's spacious outfield and play the gaps. With the pitching San Diego has, another big bat would go a long way.

Col_ IN Reds fan
10-28-2006, 10:52 PM
I doubt the Reds would be able to get Peavy for Dunn. We saw what it took to get mediocre relief pitching.

redsandrails
10-28-2006, 11:07 PM
Idea....

Adam Dunn, Dave Ross, Elizardo Ramirez, and a PTBNL for Mike Cameron and Jake Peavy.

dougdirt
10-29-2006, 03:32 PM
The Padres arent trading Jake Peavy for Adam Dunn, Im not sure they would trade Jake Peavy for Adam Dunn and Jay Bruce.

Falls City Beer
10-29-2006, 03:34 PM
The Padres arent trading Jake Peavy for Adam Dunn, Im not sure they would trade Jake Peavy for Adam Dunn and Jay Bruce.

With Alderson around, they'd listen. Very, very carefully. And they'd ponder, long and hard about it.

And then they'd do it, is my guess.

I actually think that's a brilliant trade proposal--not at all out of the realm of possibility.

I'd love to shop that package around the Majors to see what it would net from an offense-starved ballclub.

mth123
10-29-2006, 03:47 PM
I'd love to shop that package around the Majors to see what it would net from an offense-starved ballclub.

Of course this would make the Reds the offense-starved ballclub. They may be already.

But Peavey for Dunn is at least a Dunn deal worth considering.

Falls City Beer
10-29-2006, 04:14 PM
Of course this would make the Reds the offense-starved ballclub. They may be already.

But Peavey for Dunn is at least a Dunn deal worth considering.

I hear you. But no matter what, this club is still starved most for starters. Even though the Reds have two quality ones.

Just goes to show you how BAD the bottom of their rotation is.

Plus, offense can be gotten much more cheaply on the FA market and via trade. Sure, trading Dunn for Peavy may mean no contending next year, but for the long haul it's a great deal.

dougdirt
10-29-2006, 05:12 PM
You honestly believe that Adam Dunn is worth Jake Peavy?
What leads you to believe that?
If the Padres offered that you say yes before you take a breath, but there is no way they offer that.

Falls City Beer
10-29-2006, 05:36 PM
You honestly believe that Adam Dunn is worth Jake Peavy?
What leads you to believe that?
If the Padres offered that you say yes before you take a breath, but there is no way they offer that.

I think they'd definitely consider a Dunn/Jay Bruce package. I doubt Dunn by himself gets it done.

mth123
10-29-2006, 05:59 PM
I think they'd definitely consider a Dunn/Jay Bruce package. I doubt Dunn by himself gets it done.

I don't know, If Dunn's value is down from a bad year then so is Peavy's. ERA over 4 and 20+ HR allowed while pitching in a Huge park. Peavy is still a good pitcher, but outside of SD he may not look like the elite guy we know him as. If I do it, it would need to be straight-up or at most a much lower level prospect like say Moran or Dumatrait. I wouldn't include any of the Reds' top 5 prospects.

KronoRed
10-29-2006, 06:07 PM
Throwing Bruce in would be a bad idea, he's the only OF prospect that I like.

Give em Stubbs :D

dougdirt
10-30-2006, 01:00 AM
No way would I give up Bruce, just simply stating that it might take Bruce thrown with Dunn to get Peavy.

Red Leader
10-30-2006, 12:53 PM
I think Adam Dunn could fetch Jeremy Bonderman. The question is, do you do that deal? Bonderman is arbitration eligible for the first time this coming offseason. He's going to start making big bucks. He has some nasty stuff, but hasn't put it all together for a full season. A top 3 of Harang, Arroyo, and Bonderman is pretty nice. An offense without Dunn might not be. You could probably get away with giving the same contract that Adam Dunn now owns....3 year deal to Bonderman and keep him here for awhile. Do you do that trade? One for one, or do you try and get others in the mix to help the bullpen?

Detroit is looking for a 1B/DH this offseason. They could switch Guillen over to 1B and look for a cheap SS, but I think they'll find a 1B they like easier than a SS. They have enough pitching that they could move Bonderman should they choose to. So, would you do this deal?

Johnny Footstool
10-30-2006, 01:01 PM
I'd give Dunn for Bonderman. I don't think Detroit would do it, though.

Red Leader
10-30-2006, 01:21 PM
From the Detrot Free Press:

Jeremy Bonderman, RH

Arbitration eligible

At times, he looked like an ace. At other times, he looked like a fourth starter. By the end of the season, his ERA dropped for a fourth straight year — further evidence of his development. Then he became a bona fide postseason performer. He started series-clinching victories over the Yankees and A's, then handed a one-run lead to the bullpen in Game 4 of the World Series. This is a big off-season for him. The Tigers might sign him to a long-term contract or consider trading him for a big bat.

There aren't many bats bigger than Adam Dunn's.

dougdirt
10-30-2006, 01:28 PM
There are quite a few bats a lot more consistant than Dunns though. Actually Dunns bat isnt that good. His plate discipline is good, but if you want to talk straight up his bat, a .234 average and .490 slugging percentage isnt anything to write home about. I think the Tigers could get a much more consistant, yet still very good bat for Jeremy Bonderman if they chose to move him. I dont think it would be a good idea for them to trade him just yet though.

edabbs44
10-30-2006, 02:46 PM
From the Detrot Free Press:

There aren't many bats bigger than Adam Dunn's.

Bonderman for Dunn? Done.

Spitball
10-30-2006, 09:14 PM
This is from The Detroit News

Peak trade value

The Tigers are at a point with Bonderman where his market value is optimum. He is fresh from having helped a Tigers team to the World Series. He is durable, he is young and he is a potential staff ace for a team crying for pitching, which describes most teams.

Detroit could attempt to make a trade for Bonderman that would approximate the deal Cleveland made with Montreal in 2002 when the Indians sent Bartolo Colon to the Expos for Grady Sizemore, Cliff Lee and Brandon Phillips. Bonderman might not draw quite what Colon commanded, but neither would he come cheap for a team interested in adding an established front-line starter.

Bonderman is by no means the only marketable pitcher in an organization that tried ahead of July's interleague trade deadline to swap pitching for hitting.

Wilfredo Ledezma will be discussed by teams aching to add a capable left-hander. Although three young hotshots -- Justin Verlander, Joel Zumaya and Andrew Miller -- will be off-limits, the Tigers might listen to offers for minor league pitching talents Humberto Sanchez, Jordan Tata, Eulogio de la Cruz or Jair Jurrjens.

It is possible the Tigers will deal at least two pitchers as they shore up their batting order and lay the groundwork for infield replacements.

RedLegSuperStar
10-30-2006, 09:15 PM
Bonderman for Dunn? Done.

Bonderman is still very young as well. I'd do that. Bonderman wont be making more than Harang I wouldn't think. So that would save us about 3-4 million to use to obtain a offensive bat. With his buddy Kearns not here I don't think we will see Dunn resigning after his contract is up. Is Dunns value what it was a year ago? Maybe.. maybe not. But you know what he's going to give you and a manager like Jim Leyland might beable to mold Dunn into more of a well rounded hitter while still producing the power we know he has.

Detroit Gets:
Adam Dunn, Jason LaRue (2 Mil), Calvin Medlock, and Jordan Smith(SP)

Reds Obtain:
Jeremy Bonderman and Marcus Thames/Craig Monroe

IRod being a free agent after seasons end(07) might not want to spend 8-10+ milllion to try to retain him. Maybe do what the Reds did in '05 and go with a V.Wilson and LaRue tandum. The deal.. not that they need it but gives them some young starting pitching and could surface if they sell high like a deal that would involve Bonderman with names like Robertson, Maroth, Verlander, and Miner.

The deal benifits the Reds because they get another young arm to build the rotation around to go with Bronson and Aaron. Also it fills the outfield hole plus gives the Reds a little pop with either of the two. Detroit has Ordonez, Granderson, Thames, Monroe, and Gomez.. subtracting Thames/Monroe and adding Dunn would be an upgrade considering you could use Dunn as DH.

Spitball
10-30-2006, 09:33 PM
Bonderman is he is coming off a good season and good post season. His value is very high.

Peavy had a losing record and poor post season. His value is not quite as high.

Peavy might be more accomplishable.