PDA

View Full Version : What would you do with this bullpen?

icehole3
10-29-2006, 10:49 AM
Belisle
Standridge
Shackelford
Weathers
Schoeneweis
Majewski
Franklin
Cormier
Coffey
Bray

Do you make a trade? Put Bailey at closer like St.Louis did with Wainwright? Do you sign guys in free agency like Stanton, Rhodes or Timlin? Do you lock up our own guys like Schoenweis and Weathers?

Krusty
10-29-2006, 10:55 AM
Belisle
Standridge
Shackelford
Weathers
Schoeneweis
Majewski
Franklin
Cormier
Coffey
Bray

Do you make a trade? Put Bailey at closer like St.Louis did with Wainwright? Do you sign guys in free agency like Stanton, Rhodes or Timlin? Do you lock up our own guys like Schoenweis and Weathers?

Make a trade with Detroit for RHP Fernando Rodney.

westofyou
10-29-2006, 11:20 AM
What would you do with this bullpen?

Take em to Kings Island and hope half of them get lost and can't find their way back.

TOBTTReds
10-29-2006, 11:53 AM
Belisle
Standridge
Shackelford
Weathers
Schoeneweis
Majewski
Franklin
Cormier
Coffey
Bray

Belisle - LR and spot starter
Standridge - middle relief only (6th or 7th)
Shack - Loogy
Weathers - sign him for this year, use him in the 7th or 8th in close games, possibly close a bit
Schoenweis - gonna be too expensive probably
Majew - 7th and 8th innings
Franklin - call him a cab and make him pay for his plane ticket home
Cormier - Pitch him in close games only, and late, possibly even the 9th.
Coffey - 7th or 8th innings, in close games - possibly some in the 9th if the matchup is good
Bray - I would try to limit him to lefties, but use sparingly against RH'ers, close games only - 7th and 8th inning

There is a possibility of Claussen in the pen too. If that is the case, then two of the above won't be playing for the Reds at the start of the season. W/out Claussen still one of those is not on the team, either Belisle or Standridge

Highlifeman21
10-29-2006, 03:25 PM
Belisle
Standridge
Shackelford
Weathers
Schoeneweis
Majewski
Franklin
Cormier
Coffey
Bray

Belisle - Rotation
Standridge - AAA insurance policy
Shackelford - Keep
Weathers - Bye bye
Schoeneweis - Keep
Majewski - Keep
Franklin - Bye bye
Cormier - Keep
Coffey - Keep
Bray - Keep

Try Bray as the closer in ST and the beginning of the season. If that experiment doesn't work, plug someone else in. I don't see Krivsky going out and trading for an actual closer, so let 2007 be another committee year.

Falls City Beer
10-29-2006, 08:23 PM
Belisle
Standridge
Shackelford
Weathers
Schoeneweis
Majewski
Franklin
Cormier
Coffey
Bray

I'd keep S-weis and Coffey. I'd make Maj and Bray earn a spot out of Spring Training. Throw the rest in the quarry.

Belisle in the rotation for now.

Sign a couple of FA; make a few trades for the rest.

TOBTTReds
10-29-2006, 08:37 PM
Out of curiousity, why is everyone getting rid on Stormy?

Here was a previous post of mine on him:

Weathers: Did people miss how dominant he was this year...that is right, that is what I said. Look at his numbers! Since the break he has a 1.64 ERA in 29 appearance. 33 ip, 15 h, 7 runs, 6 earned.

ERA by month:
3.75 - April
2.77 - May
10.80 - June (yikes!) but....
2.77 - July
1.84 - August (only gave up a run in 1 appearance in 14 games!)
0.82 - Sept

He's only given up 1 ER in his last 20 2/3 innings or 18 games. This guy has been SOLID.

TeamSelig
10-29-2006, 08:40 PM
Magik was overused last season... he'll be rested for next season and return to his normal form IMO so I dont think there will be a spring training battle involving him.

redsupport
10-29-2006, 11:02 PM
Flush them all for Don Nottebart and Bill McCool

Scrap Irony
10-30-2006, 12:42 AM
Deal four. In the same trade.

Majewski, Belisle, Standridge, and Coffey (along with Arroyo, LaRue, and Dunn) for Wily Mo Pena, Jon Lester, Coco Crisp, Kevin Youklis, and prospects.

Then deal either Youklis or EdE (along with Dunn) for ARod.

TOBTTReds
10-30-2006, 12:43 AM

Majewski, Belisle, Standridge, and Coffey (along with Arroyo, LaRue, and Dunn) for Wily Mo Pena, Jon Lester, Coco Crisp, Kevin Youklis, and prospects.

Sounds like a plan to me:eek:

camisadelgolf
10-30-2006, 01:01 AM
I'd keep Belisle, Bray, Coffey, Cormier, and Majewski. After that, I'd sign/trade for a closer. Four out of five of them are 26 years old or younger, which tells me that Cormier should be the only one who's career is winding down while the other players, theoretically, should be improving.

Name W L ERA G GS CG SHO SV SVO IP H R ER HR BB SO
Matt Belisle 7 9 4.22 96 7 0 0 1 6 134.1 154 72 63 17 47 91
Bill Bray 3 2 4.09 48 0 0 0 2 3 50.2 57 27 23 5 18 39
Todd Coffey 10 8 3.97 138 0 0 0 9 14 136.0 169 67 60 12 38 86
Rheal Cormier 71 64 4.02 677 108 7 1 2 - 1218.2 1244 601 544 120 316 759
Gary Majewski 8 9 3.70 160 0 0 0 2 14 177.1 187 85 73 9 71 105

icehole3
10-30-2006, 06:49 AM
Call me crazy, but all I remember is Bray, Majewski and Coffey drove me nuts all summer, seemed like every clutch situation they didnt come thru.

mth123
10-30-2006, 06:57 AM
I trade Maj and get a replacement. I think he will be cincy's version of Ed Whitson. The pressure of justifying the trade seemed to get to him IMO. Let him move on and he'll be decent somewhere. I wouldn't just give him away though.

Weathers and Schoenweiss were pretty lucky in 2006 and depending on a repeat is foolish IMO. I dump Cormier $ on some team looking for a LH.

I keep Coffey, Bray, Belisle and Shack. Need to get a couple hard throwers with closing potential from outside the organization. Can fill in with the AA guys and Claussen.

Cut Standridge and Franklin loose.

RedLegSuperStar
10-30-2006, 07:44 AM

How you going to trade Dunn to the Red Sox then to the Yankees?

dfs
10-30-2006, 10:55 AM
Belisle - At this point doesn't Belisle belong in the Brandon Claussen can't stay helathy and effective bin of pitchers? I mean...it's nice that he's cheap and young and all that, but you can't count on a guy like this for anything.

Franklin - Let him go. You might get a lucky BAPIP year out of him, but you can say that about 100 guys.

Weathers - He's gonna go via free agency.

Cormier - Lefty Setup guy. Load as many innings as you can on the guy. When he's on, he's good.

Coffey - Righty Setup guy. Load as many innings as you can on the guy.

Bray - He's a more stable lefty version of Ryan Wagner. You have to give him innings to see what he's gonna be. He could grow up to be Randy Myers and he could implode.

Majewski - Is he gonna be healthy? MLB is not kind to relief pitchers with a history of injury problems. Like a lot of red's fans, I've got a bad feeling about this one.

Shackelford - Loogy. Means you have to go out and get another one. Not that that's going to be a problem. I think more of him that the organization does.

Standridge - Like Shackelford, I think more of him than the organization does. One K per inning? and you can only find 18 innings for him to pitch in a pen this bad? I mean...I like lefty matchups as well as the next guy, but don't you want at least a couple righthanders in your pen?

Schoeneweis - He could jump into the role I saw for Cormier. You keep both of them, Bray and Cormeir and you have four lefties in the pen AND Brandon Claussen, and whatever lefty starters you have.

marcshoe
10-30-2006, 11:01 AM
A couple of days ago, I started to joke that the solution was to trade Dunn, since every other thread on the board contains a Dunn trade proposal. Now I see that this thread now contains Dunn trade proposals.

I give up.

BRM
10-30-2006, 11:32 AM
Take em to Kings Island and hope half of them get lost and can't find their way back.

This is the best plan in the thread.

Scrap Irony
10-31-2006, 05:36 PM
I should have had my sarcasm button on. Dunn is involved in all trade proposals from here to eternity. (Unless, of course, Deborah Kerr and Burt Lancaster are in the same trade proposal. Then, Dunn becomes Frank Sinatra.)

And don't get me started on the Junior/ Sammy Davis, Jr., provision...

Spring~Fields
10-31-2006, 05:45 PM
I would check with my people and see if any of the following could help the Reds if I was Krivsky.

Jamie Walker, LHP 900,000
David Riske, RHP 1,800,000
Justin Speier, RHP 2,250,000
Joe Borowski, RHP 327,000
Chad Bradford, RHP 1,400,000

Heath
10-31-2006, 09:21 PM
I would check with my people and see if any of the following could help the Reds if I was Krivsky.

Jamie Walker, LHP 900,000
David Riske, RHP 1,800,000
Justin Speier, RHP 2,250,000
Joe Borowski, RHP 327,000
Chad Bradford, RHP 1,400,000

Bradford & Walker's gonna want a raise.

Speier's, what, 35? - maybe at half that 2.25

Borowski's one circle change away from Social Security. Joe Borowski translated to French is "Rheal Cormier". Pass.

I'd take a "risk" on Riske - probably some type of ML invite to ST. The Indians had him dealing it pretty good a couple of years back. Might have been on hit-lucky too.