PDA

View Full Version : MLB4u's Free Agent Predictions

redsandrails
10-29-2006, 09:54 PM
www.mlb4u.com

I couldn't get it to work past #40 but they predict none of those guys to go to the Reds. Aurilia isn't on the top 40 though.. so no Reds are on the list nor are do they project we get any. Not mentioned in rumors either. This isn't the best source in the world but most of the info is decent.

Anyways, the numbers that they predict seem a little high (lots of mediocre guys in the 7-9M range). Anyways, hopefully Bob C. will surprise us and get a big name FA as well as some stop gap guys. Looks like the Cubs might restock and the Astros and Cards have some $ to play with. The Brewers might even turn around next year with some smart moves.

Shaknb8k
10-29-2006, 10:59 PM
Here i think i got all of them from the website:

Eddie Guardado- Re-igns on a 1-year, 400K with the Reds with a Team Option for 2008 worth $1.5M

Pedro Astacio- Minor League Deal

Rich Aurilia- Option exercised

Todd Hollandsworth- Re-signs for 1-year, $1.1M

Kent Merker- Signs minor-league deal with Reds with a prorated portion of a $1M salary for ML service

Julio Santana- Signs minor-league deal with the Reds

Scott Schoeneweis- Re-signs with the Reds for 2-years, $4.95M

David Weathers- Re-signs with the Reds for 1-year, $1.5M with a Mutual Option for 2008

reds44
10-29-2006, 11:01 PM
Here i think i got all of them from the website:

Eddie Guardado- Re-igns on a 1-year, 400K with the Reds with a Team Option for 2008 worth $1.5M

Pedro Astacio- Minor League Deal

Rich Aurilia- Option exercised

Todd Hollandsworth- Re-signs for 1-year, $1.1M

Kent Merker- Signs minor-league deal with Reds with a prorated portion of a $1M salary for ML service

Julio Santana- Signs minor-league deal with the Reds

Scott Schoeneweis- Re-signs with the Reds for 2-years, $4.95M

David Weathers- Re-signs with the Reds for 1-year, $1.5M with a Mutual Option for 2008
:barf:

Shaknb8k
10-29-2006, 11:05 PM
I had the same result as reds44 after reading that....i wouldnt take any of this to heart though...even though it is fun reading things like this

i love this time of year though....the offseason is no longer boring cause of things like this

RedsManRick
10-29-2006, 11:29 PM
Yea, I love how the Cards sign like 17 starters and we get a few guys to minor league contracts... not sure there was a big picture in mind here.

mth123
10-29-2006, 11:37 PM
Steps to getting quality free agents:

1. Make it a desirable place to play.
2. Do not skip step 1.
3. Pull out your wallet.

I think this website may be closer than we want to admit (but I hope the reds sign none of those players except maybe Weathers) and the prices are realistic as well. Actually, I think some will be higher.

11BarryLarkin11
10-29-2006, 11:38 PM
Why would ANYONE pay Scott Schoeneweis that kind of money???????

marcshoe
10-30-2006, 02:19 AM
Because they'll convince themselves that those 14 innings with the Reds are a better indicator than the rest of the season (4.88 ERA) or his career (5.01 ERA)?

I'll bet some around the Reds (including Marty) call for him to be resigned for decent money.

When does Hot Stove on WLW start, btw?

11BarryLarkin11
10-30-2006, 02:47 AM
Let's hope they pick up on his .205 Batting Average on Balls in Play during his 14.1 innings for Cincy. He's a product of hit luck and a small sample size, which makes him a very bad investment. He needs to be cut loose. Krivsky will give more weight to Scott's career performance than the 14 innings in Cincy, right???

marcshoe
10-30-2006, 03:24 AM
I certainly hope so. But he may be tempted to keep the pitcher who he saw pitch successfully when so many didn't.

I'm hoping that next year's team will be constructed in a different fashion than this years was, what with Krivsky having more time to plan.

flyer85
10-30-2006, 03:45 AM
Why would ANYONE pay Scott Schoeneweis that kind of money???????for the same reason that one would pay Cormier that kind of money ... stupidty.

MrCinatit
10-30-2006, 04:24 AM
i thought it was funny to see them picked the Cubs to puck up Weaver for three years and 18 million. Sounds about right.

mth123
10-30-2006, 06:59 AM
Let's hope they pick up on his .205 Batting Average on Balls in Play during his 14.1 innings for Cincy. He's a product of hit luck and a small sample size, which makes him a very bad investment. He needs to be cut loose. Krivsky will give more weight to Scott's career performance than the 14 innings in Cincy, right???

yup

Strikes Out Looking
10-30-2006, 09:13 AM
The predictions are pretty much below worthless. For instance, Mercker and Guardado are damaged and Aurilla thinks he's too good to come back with out a commitment to a position.

marcshoe
10-30-2006, 11:21 AM
I haven't read the whole list, but the ones here show a lack of imagination.

StillFunkyB
10-31-2006, 07:36 AM
Steps to getting quality free agents:

1. Pull out your wallet.
2. Make it a desirable place to play.
3. Do not skip step 1.

I think this website may be closer than we want to admit (but I hope the reds sign none of those players except maybe Weathers) and the prices are realistic as well. Actually, I think some will be higher.

Fixed. ;)

mth123
10-31-2006, 07:47 AM
Fixed. ;)

Disagree. They can get the money lots of places. Can't get a good place to play everywhere. You want desirable guys make it a good place to play first. Otherwise you way overpay if you can even get them which makes them no longer desirable.

Exhibit A: Eric Milton (who may not have been desirable anyway). Only guy who would take the Reds money in December, 2004 and when he did it took about $5 or $6 Million per year too much to get him.

Pull out your money first and you may get some one, but they won't be desirable even if they are a good player because of the excess cost. You won't have enough $ to fill the holes that way or you will be forced to cut loose some one who is desirable to stay in a reasonable budget.

vaticanplum
10-31-2006, 12:15 PM
Disagree. They can get the money lots of places. Can't get a good place to play everywhere.

Baltimore comes to mind. They pull out their wallets every year and the only player for whom it seems to have worked recently is Tejada.

blumj
10-31-2006, 12:23 PM
Why would ANYONE pay Scott Schoeneweis that kind of money???????
Schoeneweis used to start. He might be a really interesting conversion project is someone's inclined to try. But that's probably around the going rate anyway.

marcshoe
10-31-2006, 01:23 PM
I think there should be a clause in the bargaining agreement that anyone with a lifetime ERA over 5 automatically earns the minimum. :p: