PDA

View Full Version : Reese Witherspoon and Ryan Phillippe Split

savafan
10-30-2006, 04:41 PM
If these two kids couldn't make it work, is there hope for any of us?

http://www.tmz.com/2006/10/30/reese-witherspoon-and-ryan-phillippe-split/

Reese Witherspoon and Ryan Phillippe have separated. The couple's rep released a statement to TMZ Monday morning that says "We are saddened to announce that Reese & Ryan have decided to formally separate. They remain committed to their family and we ask that you please respect their privacy and the safety of their children at this time."

Sources tell TMZ Witherspoon has contacted celebrity divorce lawyer Robert Kaufman, who has represented Jennifer Aniston, Roseanne and Lisa Marie Presley.

Sources say Witherspoon spoke with Kaufman about divorcing Ryan Phillippe, her husband of seven years. The couple has two children. They met at Witherspoon's 21st birthday party.

As for why Witherspoon contacted Kaufman, we're told it was not triggered by one event. Rather, one connected source says it was "cumulative."

Divorce papers have not yet been filed.

KronoRed
10-30-2006, 04:44 PM
...I have no idea who either of them are

BUTLER REDSFAN
10-30-2006, 04:45 PM
i say brad and angelina are next(after they adopt their next kid from canada,russia,vietnam,guam,fiji,luxembourg and the canary islands--anywhere but from america of course)

vaticanplum
10-30-2006, 04:52 PM

If you were female, or a non-traditional male, you'd know who Ryan Phillippe is.

Chip R
10-30-2006, 04:55 PM
As for why Witherspoon contacted Kaufman, we're told it was not triggered by one event.

Yeah, her winning that Oscar didn't help matters any.

Dom Heffner
10-30-2006, 04:57 PM
I have no idea who either of them are

There are people who live in a box, and there are people who live in a box.

Tony Cloninger
10-30-2006, 05:08 PM
Is he not the young .... James Earl Jones? ;)

dabvu2498
10-30-2006, 05:12 PM
Is he not the young .... James Earl Jones? ;)

:laugh:

That's funny right there.

RedsBaron
10-30-2006, 06:17 PM

Rent "Walk The Line."

Johnny Footstool
10-30-2006, 06:33 PM
So Reece is back on the market, huh?

(straightens tie, checks hair in mirror...)

MrCinatit
10-30-2006, 07:39 PM

My thoughts exactly....SCORE!

Heath
10-30-2006, 07:55 PM
If you were female, or a non-traditional male, you'd know who Ryan Phillippe is.

Does a non-traditional male believe in a designated hitter?

:dunno:

vaticanplum
10-30-2006, 08:07 PM
Does a non-traditional male believe in a designated hitter?

They are more concerned with pitching and catching.

GAC
10-30-2006, 08:25 PM
Wow! Another Hollywood marriage bites the dust. I'm appalled and aghast with amazement.

Spring~Fields
10-30-2006, 09:16 PM
Reese can do no wrong, :KoolAid:
must have been his fault.
Her career has kind of left his in the dust.

GAC
10-30-2006, 09:30 PM
Reese can do no wrong, :KoolAid:
must have been his fault.
Her career has kind of left his in the dust.

That's the problem with alot of Hollywood marriages.... they try to maintain two marriages at the same time.... to their spouse(family), and to their careers/image.

deltachi8
10-30-2006, 09:57 PM

So, you're saying there's a chance...

http://www.homevideos.com/freezeframes1203/dumb144.jpeg

redsfanfalcon
10-30-2006, 10:02 PM
I told my wife she better watch out with Reese and Sara Evans back on the market. :laugh:

jmcclain19
10-30-2006, 10:54 PM
For Krono's Sake

Reese
http://www.celebopedia.com/reese-witherspoon/images/reese-witherspoon.jpg

Ryan
http://www.nndb.com/people/420/000032324/ryan-phillippe.jpg

Reese
http://my.toast.com.au/uploaded_images/reese-witherspoon-719177.jpg

Reese
http://www.superiorpics.com/hs/reese_witherspoon/main1.jpg

Reese
http://interaktiv.vg.no/filmextra/bilder/personer/reese_witherspoon.jpg

Reese
http://1.im.cz/super/img/photo/01/42/53-article_v.jpg

Reese
http://www.famousfornow.com/images/2006/02/RWitherspoon_Murderer.jpg

whoops....sorry...got a little carried away there :)

vaticanplum
10-30-2006, 11:35 PM
That's the problem with alot of Hollywood marriages.... they try to maintian two marriages at the same time.... to their spouse(family), and to their careers/image.

I think it starts even before the marriage. I don't know if the average person realizes what it takes to get to the level of the profession these people are. It's beyond cutthroat, because it has almost nothing to do with talent or ability to work, as most professions do. It's how you look, who you know, what you do on the side, on and on and on. It is, basically, life-consuming, and anyone has achieved that level of stardom has done so at the expense of being a well-rounded person. That's a huge generalization, but largely true. Almost all conversations these people have pertain to the business in which they work. You will run into few people who know anything beyond surface level about music, baseball, cooking, what-have-you. This is exacerbated (though not due) to the bubble life which they are given when they get there and the intrusion of the press. Thus, quite a lot of them have completely lost the ability to communicate on a human level. And they've become so focused on doing what they each need to do to get to their pinnacle of success -- and stay there -- that they've also lost the ability to listen, and they're also at a disadvantage of not knowing how to handle the mundanities of everyday life. Anyone who takes any focus away from their careers and their goals and put them on the kinds of things that sustain good relationships, frankly, is very unlikely to achieve that level of stardom.

It's a very one-dimensional and lonely life in my opinion. And utterly unsurprising, albeit still sad, when I hear of these split-ups.

dougdirt
10-30-2006, 11:38 PM
actually I think maybe you need to post a few more

Falls City Beer
10-30-2006, 11:49 PM
A good friend of mine went to high school with Reese Witherspoon at Harpeth Hall in Nashville--private girls' school. Said she was a supreme turd.

cincinnati chili
10-31-2006, 12:23 AM
That's the problem with alot of Hollywood marriages.... they try to maintian two marriages at the same time.... to their spouse(family), and to their careers/image.

Maybe. It could also be that she got married at age 23. There's a lot you don't know about yourself at 23 that you know at 30.

To each her own though.

Unassisted
10-31-2006, 01:04 AM
I have never understood the appeal of Reese Witherspoon. She has that pug nose, a speaking voice that's far too nasal and is on the chunky side by Hollywood standards. Much of the work she's done has been insignificant and fluffy. (See "Legally Blonde.")

She did a fine portrayal of June Carter in "Walk the Line" and was honored for that with an Oscar. That's one solid performance. Seemingly out of nowhere, she became the highest-paid actress in Hollywood. I don't get it.

RedsBaron
10-31-2006, 07:48 AM
I have never understood the appeal of Reese Witherspoon. She has that pug nose, a speaking voice that's far too nasal and is on the chunky side by Hollywood standards. Much of the work she's done has been insignificant and fluffy. (See "Legally Blonde.")

She did a fine portrayal of June Carter in "Walk the Line" and was honored for that with an Oscar. That's one solid performance. Seemingly out of nowhere, she became the highest-paid actress in Hollywood. I don't get it.

You're probably right in your assertion that Reese Witherspoon "is on the chunky side byHollywood standards" but that really says more about those "standards" than it does about Witherspoon.

RFS62
10-31-2006, 07:53 AM
I liked her better back in the day.

http://www.fortunecity.com/bennyhills/pun/190/dudleydoorightsnidleynell4.jpg

cincinnati chili
10-31-2006, 08:16 AM
that really says more about those "standards" than it does about Witherspoon.

Agree.

cincinnati chili
10-31-2006, 08:22 AM

It happened well before Walk the line. She became a high paid actress when Legally Blonde pulled in a big gross, and when Hollywood noitced that people (presumably men) were getting their jollies looking at her on the internet.

Salary
Just Like Heaven (2005) $15,000,000
Walk the Line (2005) $15,000,000
Vanity Fair (2004) $15,000,000
Legally Blonde 2: Red, White & Blonde (2003) $15,000,000
Sweet Home Alabama (2002) $12,500,000
Legally Blonde (2001) $5,000,000
Cruel Intentions (1999) $250,000
Fear (1996) $200,000

As for her not being a traditional beauty... to each your own. People have said that about Sandra Bullock too. But she definitely moves product. And I think Reese has more to offer. I loved Pleasantville (first time I ever saw her), and she hasn't been in a movie as good yet.

dabvu2498
10-31-2006, 09:48 AM
A good friend of mine went to high school with Reese Witherspoon at Harpeth Hall in Nashville--private girls' school. Said she was a supreme turd.

Ditto... odd that we both know someone that went to Harpeth Hall.

I met her a couple times in Nashvegas. She was quite turdly.

deltachi8
10-31-2006, 11:22 AM
I thought she was good in Fear, Pleasantville and Election.

Johnny Footstool
10-31-2006, 11:33 AM

In the immortal words of Shakespeare, "Would that all turds smelt as sweet..."

Falls City Beer
10-31-2006, 12:49 PM
Ditto... odd that we both know someone that went to Harpeth Hall.

I met her a couple times in Nashvegas. She was quite turdly.

You're a Vandy alumnus, no?

Lots of Vandy Candy is imported from Harpeth Hall.

My wife's a Nashvega$ native; so that should explain the connection.

Chip R
10-31-2006, 01:54 PM

I actually thought her best work was in Twilight. :D

Yachtzee
10-31-2006, 01:59 PM

Haven't seen Fear, but I first enjoyed her work in Pleasantville and Election.

Spring~Fields
10-31-2006, 02:10 PM

Seriously I really don't see how two reasonable people could stay happily married when they are both in that career field. Dog eat dog world where they would both be apart a lot if working and always someone wanting to get next to them to get a piece of the career pie.

savafan
10-31-2006, 02:29 PM
I actually thought her best work was in Twilight. :D

That's the best of her I've seen as well. ;)

dabvu2498
10-31-2006, 02:30 PM
Lots of Vandy Candy is imported from Harpeth Hall.

Word.

How many Harpeth Hall girls does it take to change a tire?

4 -- 1 to cry, 2 to mix drinks, and 1 to call daddy

15fan
10-31-2006, 03:46 PM
Seriously I really don't see how two reasonable people could stay happily married when they are both in that career field. Dog eat dog world where they would both be apart a lot if working and always someone wanting to get next to them to get a piece of the career pie.

If my better half was pulling in the kind of cash that Reese was pulling down the past couple of years, any kind of career aspirations I ever had would have been out the window faster than you could say "Mr. Mom". Go earn that paycheck, dear, and leave the cooking/cleaning/gardening/child rearing/errand running and anything else you can think of to me. I'll take care of it. Gladly.

Johnny Footstool
10-31-2006, 04:37 PM

She's also good in "Freeway" -- a little-seen flick that's actually pretty funny. It's a modernized, sadistic take on "Little Red Riding Hood." Reese has some really nasty lines in it.

Spring~Fields
10-31-2006, 06:08 PM
If my better half was pulling in the kind of cash that Reese was pulling down the past couple of years, any kind of career aspirations I ever had would have been out the window faster than you could say "Mr. Mom". Go earn that paycheck, dear, and leave the cooking/cleaning/gardening/child rearing/errand running and anything else you can think of to me. I'll take care of it. Gladly.

Come to think of it, I could probably get along really well with one making 15 mil per project at least until the terms of the prenup kicked in :D "And they all lived happily ever after"

GAC
10-31-2006, 09:47 PM
I think it starts even before the marriage. I don't know if the average person realizes what it takes to get to the level of the profession these people are. It's beyond cutthroat, because it has almost nothing to do with talent or ability to work, as most professions do. It's how you look, who you know, what you do on the side, on and on and on. It is, basically, life-consuming, and anyone has achieved that level of stardom has done so at the expense of being a well-rounded person. That's a huge generalization, but largely true. Almost all conversations these people have pertain to the business in which they work. You will run into few people who know anything beyond surface level about music, baseball, cooking, what-have-you. This is exacerbated (though not due) to the bubble life which they are given when they get there and the intrusion of the press. Thus, quite a lot of them have completely lost the ability to communicate on a human level. And they've become so focused on doing what they each need to do to get to their pinnacle of success -- and stay there -- that they've also lost the ability to listen, and they're also at a disadvantage of not knowing how to handle the mundanities of everyday life. Anyone who takes any focus away from their careers and their goals and put them on the kinds of things that sustain good relationships, frankly, is very unlikely to achieve that level of stardom.

It's a very one-dimensional and lonely life in my opinion. And utterly unsurprising, albeit still sad, when I hear of these split-ups.

It simply comes down to commitment and priorities. No one denies that personal commitment one needs to maintain that stardom/career. It takes alot of energy. So does marriage. And that gets back to priorities. There just isn't enough of that "energy" to maintain both that career and a marriage (family life). And since the institution of marriage has become very disposable in today's society, when faced with the option/choice, the marriage is an acceptable "casualty". You can always find another spouse when faced with that choice. And I also firmly believe that selfishness is a HUGE element in alot of divorces. Especially in Hollywood. The whole industry is pretty phony and superficial.

vaticanplum
10-31-2006, 10:38 PM
It simply comes down to commitment and priorities. No one denies that personal commitment one needs to maintain that stardom/career. It takes alot of energy. So does marriage. And that gets back to priorities. There just isn't enough of that "energy" to maintain both that career and a marriage (family life). And since the institution of marriage has become very disposable in today's society, when faced with the option/choice, the marriage is an acceptable "casualty". You can always find another spouse when faced with that choice. And I also firmly believe that selfishness is a HUGE element in alot of divorces. Especially in Hollywood. The whole industry is pretty phony and superficial.

I agree with most of that. All I'm saying is that I think some of these people really do have commitment and priorities when they get married, they really do crave a family life, but they simply have no idea how to interact with human beings on a personal level. It's not that they're not trying or prioritizing; they just really don't know. Their view of reality has been skewed.

Unassisted
11-01-2006, 10:06 AM
Just heard a radio news report that said Reese's biggest gripe against Ryan in the divorce case is his constant marijuana use.

westofyou
11-01-2006, 10:55 AM
Just heard a radio news report that said Reese's biggest gripe against Ryan in the divorce case is his constant marijuana use.

Sounds like a Stanford student.

GAC
11-01-2006, 10:58 AM
I agree with most of that. All I'm saying is that I think some of these people really do have commitment and priorities when they get married, they really do crave a family life, but they simply have no idea how to interact with human beings on a personal level. It's not that they're not trying or prioritizing; they just really don't know. Their view of reality has been skewed.

Absolutely. Skewered largely by the culture/environment they have chosen to live in.

GAC
11-01-2006, 11:02 AM

Maybe that was so he could then interact with her on an comparable intellectual level? :lol:

http://www.morethings.com/fan/reese_witherspoon_images/ReeseWitherspoonLegalBlond.jpg