PDA

View Full Version : Harold Reynolds plans to sue ESPN

RFS62
10-31-2006, 08:02 AM
...per XM radio, Harold Reynolds is planning to sue ESPN over his firing. ESPN commented that his suit is "without merit".

RedFanAlways1966
10-31-2006, 09:05 AM
Ahhhhh.... it will be okay, Harold. Trying to save face and make yourself look better for future employment? It'll be okay, big guy. Come here and give me a hug. WAIT... on 2nd thought, stay away you groper! :devil:

Unassisted
10-31-2006, 11:14 AM
If the case goes to trial, you can bet that producers of Hollywood courtroom dramas like "Boston Legal" and "Law and Order" will have a representative there taking notes. This is the kind of story that would be fertile ground for a storyline of a legal show.

Team Clark
10-31-2006, 12:16 PM
Maybe Harold is trying out for a spot on CourtTV?

dabvu2498
10-31-2006, 12:30 PM
Maybe Harold is trying out for a spot on CourtTV?

He could cover all of their sports-related court reporting. Plenty of opportunity in that line of work in the Cincinnati, Columbus, Indianapolis triangle.

GOOCH
10-31-2006, 12:31 PM
All I know is that ESPN better come up with something better than "he gave an intern a hug" to justify its action. D.GOOCH

Redsland
10-31-2006, 02:00 PM
Here's (http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/1031061espn1.html) the suit.

Breach of a six-year contract, seeking $5 million in damages.

(That should help cover the cost of a date at Boston Market.) :)

Jr's Boy
10-31-2006, 04:52 PM
I thought most big company's have stipulation's in their workbook that they can fire you at any given time for no reason.

RFS62
10-31-2006, 04:56 PM
I thought most big company's have stipulation's in their workbook that they can fire you at any given time for no reason.

Firing is one thing. Breach of a contract is another.

cincinnati chili
10-31-2006, 07:39 PM
I like how he snuck in there that they fired him with a hand-delivered letter.

(If true) Maybe Jim Bowden is advising their H.R. department.

Redsland
10-31-2006, 08:24 PM
Nah. He does it over voicemail.

George Foster
11-01-2006, 12:14 AM
Reynolds has to fell pretty good about his chances if he filed a lawsuit. If your gulity of being a "hands-on guy" in the work place you have to know that they are going to get a sworn deposition from the lady in question. He has to fell like the lady is not going to say anything that would hurt him. I'd say that he might of rubbed a higher managment person the wrong way and they wanted to get rid of his contract, and they used this as an excuse.

I'd bet they settle out of court for the majority of the contract. I miss him on Baseball Tonight. He was by far the best at the table.

JaxRed
11-01-2006, 08:15 AM
Based on this read, Reynolds will win this easily.

cincinnati chili
11-01-2006, 08:24 AM
Based on this read, Reynolds will win this easily.

If everything Reynolds says is true, I agree he's likely to win or get a good settlement.

But having talked to people who've worked at ESPN, the company is unlikely to have made this move unless there was a lot more to this than an "inappropriate hug."

We'll see.

Chip R
06-12-2007, 02:57 PM
MLB.com has hired Harold Reynolds as a broadcaster.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-mlb-reynolds&prov=ap&type=lgns

SunDeck
06-12-2007, 03:38 PM
MLB.com has hired Harold Reynolds as a broadcaster.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-mlb-reynolds&prov=ap&type=lgns

I heard he applied to broadcast the NCAA fastpitch softball finals, too. :eek:

TeamBoone
06-12-2007, 06:09 PM

I thought it was illegal for ANY company (big or not) to fire a person with no reason.

IIRC, Harold said at the time that he intended to sue, so this is not breaking news to me. Just wondering why it's taken so long.

Highlifeman21
06-12-2007, 06:14 PM
I thought it was illegal for ANY company (big or not) to fire a person with no reason.

IIRC, Harold said at the time that he intended to sue, so this is not breaking news to me. Just wondering why it's taken so long.

Depends how his contract was worded.

If ESPN slipped the Employment At Will Doctrine by him, then by all means, they could have shown him the door for any or no reason at all.

smith288
06-12-2007, 06:15 PM

Nope. A company can fire someone just because if the contract doesnt make any special note on termination. Even so, "because we felt like it" is technically a reason.

smith288
06-12-2007, 06:18 PM
Reading the complaint, look like Harold will get something.

If ESPN cant come up with anything besides "he hugged an intern and she complained about it 3 weeks later" then I doubt ESPN has much. If his personal records show him to be a superb employee and nothing indicating he was a problem, then he should probably win easily.

I find it odd ESPN wont turn over his personal files.

sonny
06-12-2007, 09:37 PM
Reading the complaint, look like Harold will get something.

If ESPN cant come up with anything besides "he hugged an intern and she complained about it 3 weeks later" then I doubt ESPN has much. If his personal records show him to be a superb employee and nothing indicating he was a problem, then he should probably win easily.

I find it odd ESPN wont turn over his personal files.

It would reveal his handle on his RedZone account.

pedro
06-12-2007, 09:47 PM

Depends on the state too. In Georgia, for example, anyone can be fired for any reason at time for the most part.

Yachtzee
06-12-2007, 10:05 PM
Depends on the state too. In Georgia, for example, anyone can be fired for any reason at time for the most part.

In most states it depends on what kind of employment contract you have. Most of us are "at-will" employees. At-will employees can quit at any time and can be let go without cause. It happens everywhere. It's just that they usually use the term "layoff" rather that "fire" because it sounds nicer, even though they have no intention of bringing you back later if business turns around.

If you sign an employment contract for a set term (e.g. 5 years), you can only be fired "for cause." However, you also cannot quit without risking breach of contract or paying through some sort of buyout or liquidated damages clause.

In Harold Reynolds case, probably the reason why Harold Reynolds would have a case is that ESPN probably hires its on-air talent to term contracts. In that case, they'll probably have to show cause for terminating the contract.

Unassisted
04-16-2008, 11:31 AM
Harold and ESPN have settled.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/2008-04-15-reynolds-espn-settlement_N.htm

Reynolds, ESPN settle wrongful termination lawsuit
By Bob Nightengale and Michael Hiestand, USA TODAY
Harold Reynolds and ESPN have settled Reynolds' wrongful termination lawsuit, which he filed in October 2006.

"My family and I are ecstatic," said Reynolds, the former All-Star second baseman. "This is a matter of principal. And I stood on principle and never wavered. "All of my goals were met, and now I look forward to concentrating on the game I love."

ESPN, which fired Reynolds in July 2006 after 11 years as their baseball analyst on Baseball Tonight, was scheduled to go to trial with Reynolds in February 2009.

Reynolds claimed he was wrongly fired after a female intern complained about what he called a "brief and innocuous" hug.

"The settlement was a fraction of his demands and substantially less than what it would have cost to litigate the case," ESPN spokesman Mike Soltys said. "Our confidence in both the appropriateness of our action and our legal position never wavered. The resolution allows us to spare the people involved further difficult disruptions to their lives and is economically compelling to ESPN."

Reynolds, who was honored by Major League Baseball with the 1991 Roberto Clemente Award for outstanding community service, has been a host and analyst with MLB.com. Reynolds also was honored in 1990 by President George H. W. Bush as the 195th Point of Light recipient, spotlighting his impact on his community.

REDREAD
04-16-2008, 07:31 PM

Maybe Wayne was "gathering the evidence for him", and that's why it took so long :lol: