PDA

View Full Version : Would you make this trade?

OldRed1966
10-31-2006, 09:50 AM
If you were Wayne Krivsky (or Theo Epstein, for that matter) would you make this deal?

The Reds send Adam Dunn to the Red Sox for Mike Lowell, Craig Hansen, and Manny Delcarmen.

Since you've probably never heard of the last two, let me help you out:

Craig Hansen:

He'll be 23 when the season starts (2007)
Hansen's fastball (the best in the system) has topped out in the high 90s, and he consistently hits the mid-90s. He also possesses an excellent high-80s slider, which also was voted best in the system by Baseball America. A fierce competitor who has an excellent closer mentality. Does not walk many batters. Named "closest to the majors" of all players in the 2005 draft. MLB Comparison: Joe Nathan

Manny Delcarmen:

He'll be 25 when the season starts (2007)
Boston native always dreamed of playing for the Sox. His career was on the fast track with a mid 90s fastball, and an outstanding curveball - until he injured himself in May 2003. Delcarmen had Tommy John surgery in May 2003, but returned to the mound a year later in May 2004. Post-surgery, Delcarmen's fastball may have actually gained velocity, as he has topped out in the high 90s. Delcarmen has average control, with decent changeup and a very good curve which he uses as his out pitch. Delcarmen's father played in the Phillies Organization.

Assuming the Sox pick up some of Lowell's salary (I think it is $11.5 next year...not 100% sure), do you make this deal?

Red Leader
10-31-2006, 09:53 AM
Substitute Coco Crisp for Mike Lowell and I make that deal. I don't really think we have a need for Mike Lowell. We do have one for Crisp.

Also, from everything I've read so far, the Red Sox plan to move Papelbon into their rotation and let Hansen close out games for them next year. If that's the case, they aren't going to deal him.

NJReds
10-31-2006, 09:58 AM
Substitute Coco Crisp for Mike Lowell and I make that deal. I don't really think we have a need for Mike Lowell. We do have one for Crisp.

Agreed. I'll take Crisp over Lowell.

Red Leader
10-31-2006, 10:05 AM
I would also imagine that if we got Crisp in return, we'd only get one of Hansen (less likely) or Delcarmen (more likely).

So, in essence, your proposed deal would be Dunn for Crisp and Delcarmen. That's a tough decision, IMO. I'd strongly push for Crisp and Hansen, or probably walk away.

klw
10-31-2006, 10:12 AM
Hansen has taken a similar path to Ryan Wagner and there is a chance he has been Wagnered as a result. It seems that he could have tremendous potential but will he reach it?

SultanOfSwing
10-31-2006, 10:26 AM
The vibe from Boston seems to be that Hansen in untouchable. They view him as the closer of the future (maybe even 2007). I would also rather see a SP come our way. Delcarmen is nice and could be a Fernando Rodney-type, but he isn't there yet. I wouldn't want Lowell unless we flip him for something else. I don't know what he would net, though. Would Lowell get a SP? IDK. Without that I wouldn't even try for him. He would have no place to play and is too expensive.

Crisp doesn't have as much value as some of you think, IMO. I think he could actually be had pretty cheap.

Red Leader
10-31-2006, 10:36 AM
Crisp cheap and Hansen untouchable, eh?

Ok then, I'll take Coco Crisp (OF), George Kattaras (C), Delcarmen (RP) and Clay Buchholz (SP-high A) for Adam Dunn and Jason LaRue, then.

captain11
11-01-2006, 04:56 PM
Deal

Ben
11-01-2006, 07:35 PM
Ok then, I'll take Coco Crisp (OF), George Kattaras (C), Delcarmen (RP) and Clay Buchholz (SP-high A) for Adam Dunn and Jason LaRue, then.

Does Jason LaRue become Timmah Wakefield's personal catcher? :eek: :)