PDA

View Full Version : trick-or-treaters?

vaticanplum
10-31-2006, 06:15 PM
Where are they? I purposely bought candy and stayed home. I can see them on the street in their little ghouly outfits. but not one has knocked on my door. Boooooo.

Now I'm just bored, may have to go out for a beer. It's only quarter after six, but WTF trick-or-treaters?

kbrake
10-31-2006, 06:18 PM
Do you have any lights on at your house???

Caveat Emperor
10-31-2006, 06:33 PM
Merely throwing on a Chad Johnson or Carson Palmer jersey does not qualify as a costume and should not entitle one to free candy

vaticanplum
10-31-2006, 06:34 PM
Do you have any lights on at your house???

It's lit up like a chimney and I keep peering out the window too. Perhaps I am scaring them away.

vaticanplum
10-31-2006, 06:35 PM
Merely throwing on a Chad Johnson or Carson Palmer jersey does not qualify as a costume and should not entitle one to free candy

Heck, you can see that on two-fifths of Cincinnati's population any day of the week.

Falls City Beer
10-31-2006, 06:39 PM
Leave a tray of candy out on the lawn, then lower the mousetrap when they take the bait.

Rojo
10-31-2006, 06:41 PM
Act like you don't want them to knock on your door.

vaticanplum
10-31-2006, 06:43 PM
Leave a tray of candy out on the lawn, then lower the mousetrap when they take the bait.

And I could chalk it up to Halloween kitsch! Genius!

I finally got some, they were running across my lawn and I had to call them over. I explained that I hadn't gotten any trick-or-treaters yet and was very sad and told them to take as much candy as they want. Welcome new loser neighbor with two bowls of candy and a beer in her hallway. I'm sure their parents were thrilled.

One of them was covered in a sheet with stitches and had a clown wig on his head and a stick in his hand. I asked if he was a dead clown and sighed in that no-one-understands way and told me that he was a dead hippie with a machine gun :laugh:

Yachtzee
10-31-2006, 06:55 PM
Our city had trick-or-treating on Saturday. We didn't get many kids because the weather was pretty bad. But last year, when the weather was nice, we had a lot of visitors. I usually bust out the tailgating chairs, crank up the tunes in my car and sit by my garage, just because it's closer to the street than the front door.

vaticanplum
10-31-2006, 06:56 PM
I got more!

I told them to take three pieces each, and all of a sudden there was a stream of them. Now I have four pieces of candy left with an hour to go. Whoops.

vaticanplum
10-31-2006, 06:57 PM
They are so cute in their costumes and ski jackets, by the way.

Chip R
10-31-2006, 07:05 PM
I got more!

I told them to take three pieces each, and all of a sudden there was a stream of them. Now I have four pieces of candy left with an hour to go. Whoops.

If you run out of candy, you can give them beer. ;)

kbrake
10-31-2006, 07:08 PM
If you start giving out beer I might stop by.

By the way the costumes in my area suck. None of these kids are very creative.

vaticanplum
10-31-2006, 07:17 PM
If you run out of candy, you can give them beer. ;)

That would go over well. I've noticed, actually, that almost all these kids are out with their parents, which is different even since I was their age. Even though it's a family-oriented neighborhood and there's a school right down the street, there are some dangerous parts of the hood, definitely. I guess this is just what they have to do these days.

I'm officially out of candy (had an awkward I-only-have-three-pieces-for-four-of-you moment) and I would offer you all beer but I'm going to meet my cousins at the bar instead. Happy Halloween!

Caveat Emperor
10-31-2006, 07:20 PM
If you start giving out beer I might stop by.

By the way the costumes in my area suck. None of these kids are very creative.

I just had my 10th "throw on a Bengals/OSU Jersey and go" costumed kid.

I told the one wearing a Troy Smith jersey that Brady Quinn was going to win the Heisman, that Michigan was going to win the big game in 3 weeks, and that OSU would never win another national title because they were having salary cap trouble.

He stared blankly and took the Milk Duds.

vaticanplum
10-31-2006, 07:21 PM
:laugh:

Chip R
10-31-2006, 07:27 PM

I told the one wearing a Troy Smith jersey that Brady Quinn was going to win the Heisman, that Michigan was going to win the big game in 3 weeks, and that OSU would never win another national title because they were having salary cap trouble.

I like what RL did with his kids. :lol:

GIK
10-31-2006, 07:49 PM
It was very light at our house this year.

5:45pm - 7:15pm was when they came...and barely any of them.

We started giving them fistfulls of candy near the end. I'm still waiting to dump the remainder of the bowl into the next lucky trick-o-treater who knocks.

My wife and I even got into it and dressed up ourselves, LOL.

Too bad.

Rojo
10-31-2006, 07:52 PM
The worry-warts have killed it. Razor-blades in apples. Indeed.

pedro
10-31-2006, 07:55 PM
I have a big bowl of candy waiting for the little urchins. They tend to show up in between 6:30 and 8 pm around here.

Didn't go to the trouble of spookifying the house this year. just too busy.

SunDeck
10-31-2006, 07:59 PM
Big night here in Bloomington.

Gainesville Red
10-31-2006, 08:56 PM
I had none. I'm thrilled about it. I have a whole bag all to myself. Stupid kids don't know what they're missing.

Heath
10-31-2006, 09:34 PM
My neighbor and I had a fire in one of the those fire pits and tossed the kids some serious candy - yet it was slower than last year.

We have a guy in our neighborhood who will give you a beer if you bring your kids to the door. Nothing says Halloween than a nice can of MGD. Unless your police decides to enforce the Open Container policy.

Roy Tucker
10-31-2006, 09:56 PM
My wife said we got about 70 kids. She said it rained all day and there was a big downpour right at 6. Usually we get 120+ kids.

Last year was the first year I didn't go out with the kids since 1988 (this year I'm out of town). When I'd go out, there were several dads that gave out beers to other dads. One house gave out witches brew (hot cider and rum). Several years I'd be getting a little schnockered by the time I got home.

IslandRed
10-31-2006, 10:16 PM
Chuckling at a couple of the posts... a friend of mine down in Florida lives in one of those small everyone-knows-everyone neighborhoods, and he and his buddy went trick-or-treating for beer one year. It worked, too.

Here, it was about the usual. I've never tried to count the kids, we just know from experience that it takes about $25 worth of bag candy to get through the evening.

Yachtzee
10-31-2006, 11:08 PM
My neighbor and I had a fire in one of the those fire pits and tossed the kids some serious candy - yet it was slower than last year.

We have a guy in our neighborhood who will give you a beer if you bring your kids to the door. Nothing says Halloween than a nice can of MGD. Unless your police decides to enforce the Open Container policy.

Last year we had a girl come up dressed from head to toe in Corona gear. I asked her what she was supposed to be, she said she was a "Corona Girl." That's a great costume if: 1. you are over the age of 21; and 2. you have a beer for me. Unfortunately, she fit into neither category.

SandyD
10-31-2006, 11:15 PM
We made 10 trips to the door, and had about 30 kids. Then we went out and caught everyone who was out in the area. Not sure how many that was.

Our neighbor across the street has two small children who didn't come by ... I'm guessing they went to the party at the community center.

My sister too one of the twins out, and said almost no one was home. Most homes had a bowl of candy outside for the kiddies to pick from. That seems wierd to me.

jmcclain19
11-01-2006, 03:48 AM
I had very few surprisingly. My wife and I just moved into the neighborhood and it's crawling with midgets.

I bought three bags in anticipation, we didn't even go thru half that.

jmcclain19
11-01-2006, 03:49 AM

http://www.extremepumpkins.com/cantrapherba.html

http://store1.yimg.com/I/hobased_1917_41152340

oneupper
11-01-2006, 06:54 AM
We went through all our candy. Good thing that my daughter invited her high school friends over to trick or treat.

We then recycyled what they brought back.

max venable
11-01-2006, 07:58 AM
We had 76 kids stop by. Gave out ring-pops. It was rainy here, too. My kids stayed with us on the porch and handed out the candy.

The things that bothers me the most (besides throwing on a jersey and having that count for a costume) are:

16-year-olds who show up just wearing camo...you're 16! And you're still trick-or-treating?!
The kids who show up and say nothing...they just hold their bag open. I just look at them and go, "What?"
The kids who take the candy and run--never offering a "Thank you." Sometimes my wife will shout, "You're welcome!" as they're walking away.

BuckWoody
11-01-2006, 08:28 AM
We probably had about 70 last night, an off year. We always have a few friends over with their kids and have pizza and various fixin's before the event. Then the moms take the kids around the neighborhood while the dads sit in the driveway and pass out candy...with a couple coolers full of tasty beverages handy. ;)

About my only pet peeve are the gaggle of obviously too old kids that go around getting candy with little or no costume. We did have a couple of older guys going around all dolled up in evening gowns and long gloves, the whole bit...very well done. I couldn't resist the urge to ask them if they were in costume or just out on the town. :evil: I'm sure they'd heard that a few times before on the evening.

Red Leader
11-01-2006, 09:05 AM
I like what RL did with his kids. :lol:

Just to repeat the post here:

There are few moments in life when your kids just make you proud. Today, was one of those days.

I watched as my 7 year old got on his bus with an orange penitentiary suit on, a ball and chain around his ankle, an Ohio State stocking cap and a home made name tag on the back that said "Clarett." (I'm guessing I get a call from his teacher or his principal today).

Not to be outdone by his younger brother, who sported an OSU jersey (borrowed from my brother in law’s kid), red "swishy" pants and a Homer Simpson mask. A homemade name tag on the back that says "Homer," completes the costume. I've also taught him to say "Trick or treat, I'm a Homer."

Ahhh, they're so cute at this age.

As a follow-up, they were both heavily complimented on their costumes, even by rabid Ohio State fans in the neighborhood, although one guy did tell them to get off of his porch (that guy is a lunatic, anyway). They both had a good time and got lots of candy. My oldest (age 7) wore his costume (Clarett) to school and his teacher asked him if he knew who Clarett was. His response was along the lines of "he's some loser that played for Ohio State for a year, helped them win a national championship, thought he was too good to be playing college football, was drafted higher than he should have, was cut in the NFL and is now in jail for be stupid and greedy." She gave him a response of "oh ok," and not another word was said the rest of the day.

And by the way, Caveat. Nice job. You'll be getting some rep points from me shortly if I can give them.

Dom Heffner
11-01-2006, 11:42 AM
Where are they? I purposely bought candy and stayed home. I can see them on the street in their little ghouly outfits. but not one has knocked on my door. Boooooo.

Now I'm just bored, may have to go out for a beer. It's only quarter after six, but WTF trick-or-treaters?

I just didn't go home until 9:30. Had a nice dinner at Macaroni Grill and did some shopping.

I'm such a Halloween scrooge.

RANDY IN INDY
11-01-2006, 01:09 PM
I "loathe" trick or treat. The kids in my neighborhood "trashed" the mulch around my front door and planting areas because they refuse to walk on the sidewalk. They also beat down a good portion of the new grass that I have planted in the front yard. Candy wrappers and candy all over the place. No respect for anyone else. I wish they would get rid of the holiday, alltogether.

There's my rant on the subject.

Spring~Fields
11-01-2006, 01:43 PM

He probably was thinking "mommy warned me about people like you" :laugh: and then promptly jumped on his cell phone and ran a background check. ;)

dabvu2498
11-01-2006, 02:46 PM
Five straight years with no trick-or-treaters at the dabvu abode. Of course, all my neighbors are 60-80 year old farm-types who keep loaded shotguns next to their doors... so I see that streak continuing.

Unassisted
11-01-2006, 06:07 PM
Had about 40 trick-or-treaters visit my house. My youngest decided to go all out this year and visit every lighted house on the 5 streets in our neighborhood. I think he hauled in at least 4x as much candy as we gave away.

At one house, he was the only kid to ring the doorbell all night. They were so happy to see him that they gave him a whole unopened bag of Kit Kat bars. :lol:

Red in Chicago
11-01-2006, 06:11 PM
for the second year in a row, i bought the 150+ piece bag of candy, only to decide NOT to hand it out on halloween...it sounds like a good idea when i'm shopping at costco to go ahead and buy the big bag...then come halloween, the entire concept just annoys me so i lock up the house, turn off the lights and work on my laptop until trick or treat is over...

seriously though, who really wants all those germ invested children coming up to your door anyway...i couldn't wait to clorox the door bell this morning :)

now what the hell am i going to do with all this candy:bang:

Yachtzee
11-01-2006, 07:01 PM
for the second year in a row, i bought the 150+ piece bag of candy, only to decide NOT to hand it out on halloween...it sounds like a good idea when i'm shopping at costco to go ahead and buy the big bag...then come halloween, the entire concept just annoys me so i lock up the house, turn off the lights and work on my laptop until trick or treat is over...

seriously though, who really wants all those germ invested children coming up to your door anyway...i couldn't wait to clorox the door bell this morning :)

Well, you're in Chicago. In my old neighborhood (Edgewater, just south of Rogers Park), we used to get some pretty scary looking teens roaming the streets with cartons of eggs. Best to just keep the lights off and head out for the evening.

vaticanplum
11-01-2006, 09:03 PM

Sterilize it.

Unassisted
11-01-2006, 11:14 PM
for the second year in a row, i bought the 150+ piece bag of candy, only to decide NOT to hand it out on halloween...it sounds like a good idea when i'm shopping at costco to go ahead and buy the big bag...<snip>

You bought it at Costco. If you didn't open it, you can return it. Costco has a very liberal return policy.

max venable
11-02-2006, 07:22 AM

Howie? Is that you?
http://www.baldrus.com/images/Howie_Mandel.jpg

chicoruiz
11-02-2006, 08:05 AM
High point... I had a middle school-age kid come to my door dressed as a toilet, complete with a lid you lifted to drop the candy into the bowl. Dropping a handful of Baby Ruths in there was a highly symbolic moment for me; I felt a great sense of relief afterwards.

RedsFan75
11-02-2006, 10:42 AM
:thumbup: Chico that's great!