PDA

View Full Version : Aurilia Declines Option

reds44
10-31-2006, 07:42 PM
Aurilia on the market

Rich Aurilia has decided to decline his $2 million mutual option for 2007.

The veteran infielder is now a free agent and still would be able to re-sign with the Reds. You'll recall he went through the same process last winter.
-Marc's blog.

DO NOT OVERPAY FOR HIM.

KronoRed
10-31-2006, 08:06 PM
Must be getting some offers above 2 mill

Wheelhouse
10-31-2006, 08:07 PM
He deserves more.

RedLegSuperStar
10-31-2006, 08:26 PM
Let him walk.. please let him walk.. I agree with reds44.. no need to over pay for a Rich Aurilia when you need a #3 starter and closer and those are going to cost a pretty penny. We can use Olmedo and Freel at 2B and Phillips at SS. Use that 2 mil elsewhere..

redsfanmia
10-31-2006, 08:37 PM
I think letting one of the only guys who hits "in the clutch" go would be a mistake. Bring him back but not for more that 4 or 5 million a year.

redsupport
10-31-2006, 08:43 PM
the guys vorp was way better than Griffey's, amazing

Wheelhouse
10-31-2006, 09:08 PM
Let him walk.. please let him walk.. I agree with reds44.. no need to over pay for a Rich Aurilia when you need a #3 starter and closer and those are going to cost a pretty penny. We can use Olmedo and Freel at 2B and Phillips at SS. Use that 2 mil elsewhere..

No way. He was the only position player who played well down the stretch. He played multiple skill positions--and played them well, the peanut gallery notwithstanding. He was capable of concentrating with men moving on base. 1(one) error in 25 starts at SS. He deserves a healthy raise, and IMO should start.

reds44
10-31-2006, 09:14 PM
No way. He was the only position player who played well down the stretch. He played multiple skill positions--and played them well, the peanut gallery notwithstanding. He was capable of concentrating with men moving on base. He deserves a healthy raise, and IMO should start.
Where?

Wheelhouse
10-31-2006, 09:20 PM
Ss

flyer85
10-31-2006, 09:20 PM
I think RA is mainly looking for an everyday job

Falls City Beer
10-31-2006, 09:22 PM
I'll take the draft pick.

Me too. Why waste time playing games with a 38 year old?

If you're not good enough to find a replacement for Aurilia, then you probably shouldn't be a GM.

TOBTTReds
10-31-2006, 09:22 PM
the guys vorp was way better than Griffey's, amazing

Doesn't say much.

reds44
10-31-2006, 09:24 PM
Ss
No.

GAC
10-31-2006, 09:24 PM
Let him see what is out there, and let someone else overpay for him.

Does he deserve a raise? Sure. I don't know what that amount should be. Maybe a 1 year contract for 3 Mil with another mutual option for '08. But he earned the right in accordance with his performance. It doesn't bother me one bit that he declined the option, or that he's looking for "greener pastures".

What it does now is simply put more pressure on Krivsky, if he is not going to make any effort to bring RA back, to go out and find someone to fill that void. And yes, there will be a void.

RedsManRick
10-31-2006, 09:29 PM
My money is on Richie playing 3B in Philly next year.

Wheelhouse
10-31-2006, 09:30 PM
Me too. Why waste time playing games with a 38 year old?

If you're not good enough to find a replacement for Aurilia, then you probably shouldn't be a GM.

What part of Aurilia's game do you not like? He was the best all-around player on the team. Or are you one of those who miss Felipe Lopez of the 56 home runs in six major league seasons and 28 errors and 126 Ks in 2006? Who on the team is better in a late inning situation in a close game? The only one I can think of is EE, but I'd give it to Rich in that he was more consistent.

reds44
10-31-2006, 09:32 PM
What part of Aurilia's game do you not like? He was the best all-around player on the team. Or are you one of those who miss Felipe Lopez of the 56 home runs in six major league seasons and 28 errors and 126 Ks in 2006? Who on the team is better in a late inning situation in a close game? The only one I can think of is EE, but I'd give it to Rich in that he was more consistent.
He's 38, is going to ask for alot of money, and no matter what captain Narron will tell you he is a bad defender at any position that isn't 1B. It's not liek he is the ultimate team guy either.

Falls City Beer
10-31-2006, 09:34 PM

Rich is fine. He played well last year. But ponying up a ton of cash for a 38 year old is dumb business.

If he wants to play for 2 million, fine. Anything more, I decline on principle alone.

If you really want to show the world that you're turning this franchise around, you don't do it haggling with Rich Aurilia.

This club should spend its manhours wisely--not on backup thirdbasemen.

Wheelhouse
10-31-2006, 09:38 PM
He's 38, is going to ask for alot of money, and no matter what captain Narron will tell you he is a bad defender at any position that isn't 1B. It's not liek he is the ultimate team guy either.

Again, 1 error in 25 starts at SS. ONE!!!! Oh, but that's a fluke. Hit .300. Fluke. Great AVG with RISP. Meaningless. Clutch. Doesn't exist. Yeah, I guess Aurilia isn't worth it given all that.

MrCinatit
10-31-2006, 09:39 PM
Actually, Rich will be 35.
While he did do us a great service last year, I fear he might be overpaid next year. It would not be a bad idea for Wayne to wait to see if any other teams take the bait, and how much the other team is willing to pay.
Or, the same thing will happen this year as last year - nobody else was willing to offer Rich the contract he thought he deserved, and he returned here.

Edit: actually, he turned 35 in Sept.

Falls City Beer
10-31-2006, 09:43 PM
Actually, Rich will be 35.
While he did do us a great service last year, I fear he might be overpaid next year. It would not be a bad idea for Wayne to wait to see if any other teams take the bait, and how much the other team is willing to pay.
Or, the same thing will happen this year as last year - nobody else was willing to offer Rich the contract he thought he deserved, and he returned here.

Edit: actually, he turned 35 in Sept.

You're right, Mr. I'm confusing him with someone else. Still. He's too old to be shelling out a big contract to.

Wheelhouse
10-31-2006, 09:44 PM
Once we get rid of some of the overpaid dead weight, the money will be there to pay the good players. The real challenge for Krivsky is NOT how to replace Aurilia, it's where to dump Dunn, Larue, and if at all possible, Griffey.

MrCinatit
10-31-2006, 09:45 PM
You're right, Mr. I'm confusing him with someone else. Still. He's too old to be shelling out a big contract to.

Probably Hattenburg.
And I could not agree more.

reds44
10-31-2006, 09:48 PM
Again, 1 error in 25 starts at SS. ONE!!!! Oh, but that's a fluke. Hit .300. Fluke. Great AVG with RISP. Meaningless. Clutch. Doesn't exist. Yeah, I guess Aurilia isn't worth it given all that.
There is much more to defense then errors.

And sotp putting words into my mouth.

4256 Hits
10-31-2006, 09:49 PM
What part of Aurilia's game do you not like?

Lack of range! I am ok w/ him at 2nd (Phillips at SS)if the price is right.

reds44
10-31-2006, 09:50 PM
Once we get rid of some of the overpaid dead weight, the money will be there to pay the good players. The real challenge for Krivsky is NOT how to replace Aurilia, it's where to dump Dunn, Larue, and if at all possible, Griffey.
Adam Dunn is a better player then Aurilia.

He is also 10 years younger.

flyer85
10-31-2006, 09:51 PM
Once we get rid of some of the overpaid dead weight, the money will be there to pay the good players. The real challenge for Krivsky is NOT how to replace Aurilia, it's where to dump Dunn, Larue, and if at all possible, Griffey.I'd say the challenge is how to dump the old guys and replace them with young and productive players, and salary has nothing to do with it. The odds of this team competing in 2007 is slim. The free agent market is going to be way overheated and overpriced and having some money to spend just won't mean much.

Wheelhouse
10-31-2006, 09:57 PM
Lack of range! I am ok w/ him at 2nd (Phillips at SS)if the price is right.

I'll take the lesser of range (which, by the way, is not as bad as is howled about on the board) if he always makes the play when he touches the ball. I'm OK with him at second as well.

Wheelhouse
10-31-2006, 09:58 PM

...and getting worse.

reds44
10-31-2006, 10:00 PM
...and getting worse.
And that has what to do with Rich?

Spitball
10-31-2006, 10:01 PM
The Mets are rumored to be looking hard at Aurilia to play second base. He is from New York and was originally scouted and signed by Omar Minaya. I believe that will price him out of Cincy.

flyer85
10-31-2006, 10:02 PM
signing RA probably isn't going to be a money issue, it is likely to be a PT issue. I think for him to come back to Cincy he will want to know he has an everyday job.

Heath
10-31-2006, 10:03 PM
The Mets are rumored to be looking hard at Aurilia to play second base. He is from New York and was originally scouted and signed by Omar Minaya. I believe that will price him out of Cincy.

Perfect. He goes home.

Thanks for the memories, Rich.

flyer85
10-31-2006, 10:06 PM
I would not mind to see RA come back to play 2B. A much bigger issue is going to be the lack of production from 1b.

RedsBaron
10-31-2006, 10:06 PM
I'd say the challenge is how to dump the old guys and replace them with young and productive players, and salary has nothing to do with it. The odds of this team competing in 2007 is slim. The free agent market is going to be way overheated and overpriced and having some money to spend just won't mean much.

Yep. The odds are against the Reds contending in 2007. I'd rather seem them at this point keeping guys who might contribute in 2008 and thereafter.

paintmered
10-31-2006, 10:07 PM
...and getting worse.

Yes, we know you don't like Dunn. Stop beating the dead horse already. :bang:

Or, if you want something more official....

It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Especially in a thread that has nothing to do with Dunn.

On a slightly more on-topic note: Thanks for your service Rich. Your comments didn't endear yourself to Cincinnati, but good luck. The fact of the matter is you are 35 and have a range slightly better than the Venus di Milo. It's time for Cincinnati to move on to other (and younger) options.

flyer85
10-31-2006, 10:10 PM
Players have bad seasons, good seasons, never to be repeated at a certain age seasons. The latter is highly likely what Hatty and RA put forth in 2006 and Jr in 2005.

Mario-Rijo
10-31-2006, 10:16 PM
Question. Is it possible that RA could sign a FA deal with another team before we get an oppurtunity to offer him arbitration? If so do we still get a draft pick? I guess what are the odds that we get a pick? Because my gut tells me that he will not be back. Could someone break this situation down into what needs to happen in order for us to recieve compensation and what could happen that would cause us not to get any? Thanks in advance.

reds44
10-31-2006, 10:18 PM
Question. Is it possible that RA could sign a FA deal with another team before we get an oppurtunity to offer him arbitration? If so do we still get a draft pick? I guess what are the odds that we get a pick? Because my gut tells me that he will not be back. Could someone break this situation down into what needs to happen in order for us to recieve compensation and what could happen that would cause us not to get any? Thanks in advance.
I don't think he is arbitration eligible, is he?

flyer85
10-31-2006, 10:19 PM
I don't think he is arbitration eligible, is he?If he does not sign before the December deadline the Reds could offer arbitration.

mth123
10-31-2006, 10:21 PM

Mine too. Thought so since Bell was traded.

Caveat Emperor
10-31-2006, 11:04 PM
Though, one has to be worried about the way this team is hemorrhaging offense. Even if Rich wasn't a good bet to repeat his 2006 (albeit after he wasn't a good bet to repeat his 2005), he's still a fairly reliable what-you-see-is-what-you-get bat that rounds a lineup or a bench out nicely.

Somewhere along the line this offseason, Krivsky has to find a chip to insert in the lineup (either in RF, 2B, 1B or SS) that can help drive the offense. This will be even more of a necessity if he moves Dunn at the winter meetings.

ochre
10-31-2006, 11:16 PM
He's a platoon player.
AB AVG OBP SLG OPS
147 .347 .406 .680 1.086 vs. lefties
293 .276 .318 .437 .755 vs. righties

And not really all that 'clutch'.
65 .215 .307 .323 .630 close and late.

reds44
10-31-2006, 11:18 PM
He's a platoon player.
AB AVG OBP SLG OPS

And not really all that 'clutch'.
65 .215 .307 .323 .630 close and late.
He is scrappy though.

ochre
10-31-2006, 11:23 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing him back with the Reds, but I'd be a bit concerned if they have to pay him much more than what the option was. It's a question of value.

IslandRed
10-31-2006, 11:30 PM
He's a platoon player.
AB AVG OBP SLG OPS

I'd say he's a platoon first baseman. For a second baseman, should a team play him there, .755 from the "bad" side is nothing to sneeze at. Brandon Phillips had a .751 overall OPS this season, and that was good enough for 10th among MLB second basemen.

flyer85
10-31-2006, 11:34 PM
I think the value issue doesn't play because he won't cost that much on a 1 year deal and there isn't much else to spend it on that the Reds could reasonably get.

Gallen5862
10-31-2006, 11:35 PM

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...ws/262720.html

Some changes have been made to the draft-pick compensation afforded teams which lose major league free agents. Type C free agents have been eliminated, while teams that lose Type B free agents, which had previously received a pick from the signing club, will now get a sandwich pick between the first and second rounds. (This was pursued by the union to remove the disincentive for teams to sign those players.) Those changes go into effect immediately.
The number of players deemed Type A and B has been tweaked as well. Type A free agents, whose former team continues to receive a first- or second-round pick from the signing club as well as an extra pick between the first and second rounds, will be reduced from the 30 percent of players (as determined by a statistical formula) to 20; the Type B band is reduced from 31-50 percent to 21-40.

These changes will take effect next offseason, allowing clubs which lose free agents this winter the same compensation they had always expected. Teams must still offer players salary arbitration to receive draft-pick compensation, though the deadline for that offer was moved up from Dec. 7 to Dec. 1.

Falls City Beer
10-31-2006, 11:38 PM
I think the value issue doesn't play because he won't cost that much on a 1 year deal and there isn't much else to spend it on that the Reds could reasonably get.

That depends. A trade that's accompanied by an extension will require salary space. It's not just FA that cost money. I think value should be a consideration when talking about giving in to the terms of a backup like Aurilia. That's the tail wagging the dog. The Reds need to establish that he needs them more than they need him. A good team would play it that way. The vision should be bigger than Aurilia, especially when better options exist, particularly when you take defense into consideration.

And Aurilia will likely ask for, and get, a multi-year deal.

reds44
10-31-2006, 11:49 PM
More from Marc.

"He went through a couple years where there wasn’t a whole lot of interest and we kind of had to scratch and claw for an opportunity, which the Reds did give to him, thankfully," said Axelrod. "Even with the Reds, when he signed there, there was always some dialogue about the fact that maybe he’s not signing for the kind of money he used to play for, but this will be an opportunity for him to rebuild himself and resurrect his career a little bit and hopefully put his value back on the map. I think that’s what he did. Given that, he’s earned the right to go out and take a look around."

Both Axelrod and Wayne Krivsky emphasized that there is a possibility Aurilia will return to Cincinnati.

"This doesn’t preclude us from continuing to talk to Richie and keeping him in a Reds uniform next year," said Krivsky.

Kc61
10-31-2006, 11:59 PM
I think RA will be gone because the Reds really don't want to move Phillips to shortstop. I think the Reds will acquire a new shortstop and keep Phillips at second. Just based on vibes from the public comments they have made. If Reds pay for a new shortstop, there is no room for RA (who isn't a shortstop any more).

I strongly agree with the comment that the Reds are losing more and more offense. A light hitting shortstop replacing Aurilia will hurt even more. Let's hope that's not the plan.

I also disagree with the school of thought that says: get the guys who did poorly last year; axe the guys who did well (they'll never repeat). I don't know anyone who can accurately predict how a solid major leaguer will perform in any given year. All I know is that Aurilia was a key offensive guy for the Reds, who have a declining offense, and if he leaves they'd better start adding some bats.

flyer85
11-01-2006, 12:05 AM
And Aurilia will likely ask for, and get, a multi-year deal.if he does then you wave goodbye.

Highlifeman21
11-01-2006, 01:05 AM

His winshares were lower than Adam Dunn, therefore he wasn't our best all-around player.

If you want to argue semantics about best all around player, I'd have to argue Brandon Phillips. Why, you might ask? He actually brought speed and defense to this team, something Rich Aurilia desperately lacks.

Rich Aurilia is not good enough to start everyday for us, and definitely not at SS. He arguably has the worst range of any SS we put there last year. I wish we would play Phillips at SS, and then, maybe then I could justify paying Aurilia 2M a year and having him play 2B, but until that happens, 2M is too much IMO for a glorified role player.

Highlifeman21
11-01-2006, 01:08 AM

Adam Dunn is a salary dump, and we should be throwing money at Rich Aurilia?

Wow.

Anymore gems of wisdom on how to run this team into the ground?

westofyou
11-01-2006, 01:31 AM
...and getting worse.

Aurilia has been more eratic on that front then Dunn. 35 years old and fueled by his batting average. I know what horse I'm betting on.

YEAR TEAM AGE G AB R H 2B 3B HR HR% RBI BB SO SB CS AVG SLG OBA OPS
2003 Giants 31 129 505 65 140 26 1 13 2.57 58 36 82 2 2 .277 .410 .325 .735
2004 Mariners 32 73 261 27 63 13 0 4 1.53 28 22 43 1 0 .241 .337 .304 .641
Padres 32 51 138 22 35 8 2 2 1.45 16 15 28 0 0 .254 .384 .331 .715
TOTALS 124 399 49 98 21 2 6 1.50 44 37 71 1 0 .246 .353 .314 .667
2005 Reds 33 114 426 61 120 23 2 14 3.29 68 37 67 2 0 .282 .444 .338 .782
2006 Reds 34 122 440 61 132 25 1 23 5.23 70 34 51 3 0 .300 .518 .349 .867
TOTALS 489 1770 236 490 95 6 56 3.16 240 144 271 8 2 .277 .432 .331 .764

Razor Shines
11-01-2006, 01:48 AM
Jumping in late. I am definetly in the boat of letting him walk. Let him get paid by some club who is going to contend next year and can afford it, he earned it this year it will most likely be the last contract he signs he's got to make the most of it.

Wheelhouse
11-01-2006, 02:49 AM
Adam Dunn is a salary dump, and we should be throwing money at Rich Aurilia?

Wow.

Anymore gems of wisdom on how to run this team into the ground?

Yeah, trade Dunn to a misguided GM that sees some light in his numbers. And one that wants a left fielder that responds to hit balls as if he found out about them by telegram. Get Carl Crawford. And please trade Dunn WITHIN the division--it would be a great help to our hitters and pitchers to have him in Houston, or even better, St. Louis.

SteelSD
11-01-2006, 03:03 AM
Yeah, trade Dunn to a misguided GM that sees some light in his numbers. And one that wants a left fielder that responds to hit balls as if he found out about them by telegram. Get Carl Crawford. And please trade Dunn WITHIN the division--it would be a great help to our hitters and pitchers to have him in Houston, or even better, St. Louis.

Yeah, great idea- just "dump" the only player on the team who was worth more than 100 Runs offensively in 2006. Wonderful strategy. Good Lord.

WMR
11-01-2006, 03:04 AM

http://www.wardsmythe.com/ohfercryinoutloud2.gif

WVRedsFan
11-01-2006, 03:06 AM
I'm late on this also, but here's my take...

If Rich wants to come back for $2 million, that OK by me. But, if it's any more than that or a LTC is involved, run away. Rich was a very productive player at times this year, but he only played in 122 games. He's not a regular and if he was, i imagine the numbers would decrease. He's not very happy in Cincinnati and if there had been any other option, he wouldn't have been here this year. God bless him, he led us to another losing season at age 34 (I was 34-35 once and I can tell you, you're heading down hill at that point as an athlete). This team needs to look at young talented infielders. We need to spend some money on pitching and up-the-middle defense, not Rich Aurilia.

I hope he gets the deal he wants. i just hope it's not in Cincinnati because it looks like he wants more than the $2 million. That would be Wayne's next disaster and he has too many already if he wants to stick in Rhineland for any amount of time.

Ron Madden
11-01-2006, 03:47 AM
A multi-year deal would be a costly mistake. RA is no longer an every day player at any position. Better and less expensive options do exist, it is Waynes job to find them.

I'd thank RA for his two years of service and move on.

Highlifeman21
11-01-2006, 09:24 AM

Run Adam Dunn out of town to a NL Central team so he can beat us. Makes perfect sense.

I think our GM would be the misguided one if he salary dumped Adam Dunn, and particularly within our division.

I'd love to see the team you'd put on the field if we traded Adam Dunn, and I'd love to see how many runs under 700 we'd score as a team without him in that lineup.

registerthis
11-01-2006, 09:52 AM
signing RA probably isn't going to be a money issue, it is likely to be a PT issue. I think for him to come back to Cincy he will want to know he has an everyday job.

That's why I would have rather seen the Reds sign Aurilia to an extension rather than Hatteberg. Rich can play first competently, and another offensive season close to what he did last year would be fine by me. I don't think Hatte is going to come close to his '06 season again.

TOBTTReds
11-01-2006, 11:08 AM
I dont understand why a lot of people would be OK with a no-range guy at 2nd base. 2B is the second most important fielding position after SS and before CF (percentage wise, the second most balls hit are to the 2B area).

Rich only has one position in my mind, 1B. He is very slow reflexes at 3rd so the ball is by him early, but to keep him in the lineup, 1B is the only logical option. But I guess the point is moot now (yes, moot, not mute).

westofyou
11-01-2006, 11:11 AM
I dont understand why a lot of people would be OK with a no-range guy at 2nd base.Same reason they want to keep a 35 year old and dump a 27 year old basher.

They are blinded by grimaces and broken amyl nitrate capsules strewn around the on-deck circle.

redsmetz
11-01-2006, 11:13 AM
Must be getting some offers above 2 mill

I don't know if that is the case. He did the same thing last year to test the FA waters and found the Reds had the best offer. Now, he may well succeed in finding a better deal or a comparable deal with more steady playing time (one position). I agree though I wouldn't overpay for him.

savafan
11-01-2006, 11:38 AM
I'd rather try to bring Wes Helms in to play first next season. I imagine he could be had cheaper, plus he's younger.

Cyclone792
11-01-2006, 11:58 AM
I'd say the challenge is how to dump the old guys and replace them with young and productive players, and salary has nothing to do with it. The odds of this team competing in 2007 is slim. The free agent market is going to be way overheated and overpriced and having some money to spend just won't mean much.

Yep.

Yep. The odds are against the Reds contending in 2007. I'd rather seem them at this point keeping guys who might contribute in 2008 and thereafter.

Yep again.

By time 2008 rolls around, Rich Aurilia will be 36-years-old and likely to have less in the tank then than he does now. Put simply, he's not an option for the future so any money spent on him would be much better used elsewhere.

Brendan Harris came on strong late last season in Louisville, batting .324/.384/.534 in ~160 plate appearances. While that's a small sample size that doesn't match up well with the rest of his minor league history, he is 26-years-old so if he's going to be anything worthwhile at the major league level in any manner, it's likely to be now.

For 2007, I'd rather the team save the money by not bringing Aurilia back and letting Harris split some time with Freel at second base to see if he has any chance at being a viable option in 2008 and beyond. In the meantime, the team should be preparing for the possibility of finding a quality middle infielder for 2008 and beyond just in case Harris doesn't work out. If Harris works out and we're able to get one or three serviceable seasons out of him, that's great. If not, at least be ahead with preparations for finding the right guy.

Either way, Aurilia's age prevents him from being the guy in 2008 so it's time to move on.

Chip R
11-01-2006, 01:03 PM

If StL doesn't re-sign Belliard, I could see them making a play for him.

TOBTTReds
11-01-2006, 01:04 PM
Yep.

Yep again.

By time 2008 rolls around, Rich Aurilia will be 36-years-old and likely to have less in the tank then than he does now. Put simply, he's not an option for the future so any money spent on him would be much better used elsewhere.

Brendan Harris came on strong late last season in Louisville, batting .324/.384/.534 in ~160 plate appearances. While that's a small sample size that doesn't match up well with the rest of his minor league history, he is 26-years-old so if he's going to be anything worthwhile at the major league level in any manner, it's likely to be now.

For 2007, I'd rather the team save the money by not bringing Aurilia back and letting Harris split some time with Freel at second base to see if he has any chance at being a viable option in 2008 and beyond. In the meantime, the team should be preparing for the possibility of finding a quality middle infielder for 2008 and beyond just in case Harris doesn't work out. If Harris works out and we're able to get one or three serviceable seasons out of him, that's great. If not, at least be ahead with preparations for finding the right guy.

Either way, Aurilia's age prevents him from being the guy in 2008 so it's time to move on.

Exactly. It has been said many times by people here (like myself) that 2008 is the year for contention. We will have Homer and Votto with some service time under their belts. We will have lost the contracts of Milton, and LaRue ($14 million). That is a lot of money for two guys that don't help the team a whole lot. Maybe Jay Bruce will make a surprise visit in 08 around July (not counting on it). 07 should be a year for growth and to get ready for 08. That is why I:

move BP to short or trade for a good young SS (like with the Angels)
Get Votto up here by July if he is doing well in AAA (or earlier)
Get Homer up here by April (or a bit later, I'm done resisting though)
Keep Edwin at 3rd
Trade Griffey somehow, someway.
Trade Ross if it nets a decent guy to be ready for 08 (will Ross be this good in 08 as an aging catcher past his prime age (of 27)? I doubt it.)
Try to sign el donkey grande long term to a semi-affordable contract...if that doesn't work, then try to deal him for projectable bats (that's right, I said bats...OK, or a pitcher). OR keep him for the 08 run. He is great to have as either a trading chip, or a bat in our lineup.

All of those things should help the Reds in 08, getting more experience for the young guys, and dumping old guys that can't live up to their contracts.

LoganBuck
11-01-2006, 02:18 PM
So where are we in the thought process of how much Free Agent compensation Rich Aurillia will warrant? Is he a type A or a Type B?

I would let him walk, given the supposed depth of this years draft, and his likely salary demands.

BRM
11-01-2006, 02:19 PM
So where are we in the thought process of how much Free Agent compensation Rich Aurillia will warrant? Is he a type A or a Type B?

I would let him walk, given the supposed depth of this years draft, and his likely salary demands.

I don't think the Reds will offer him arbitration.

Redsland
11-01-2006, 02:27 PM
He has good numbers. He could be a Type A. Those same numbers should probably keep the Reds from offering arbitration.

TOBTTReds
11-01-2006, 03:28 PM
He has good numbers. He could be a Type A. Those same numbers should probably keep the Reds from offering arbitration.

Does age have anything to do with it? If it does, probably type B.

Redsland
11-01-2006, 03:38 PM
Age isn't a factor. All players' numbers are run through the wringer, and the "top 30%" of players are designated Type A free agents. The rest of the top 50% become Type B. Next comes Type C (which will disappear after this year), followed by the dregs, who are not given a Type, and for whom no compensation is given if they sign elsewhere.

ochre
11-01-2006, 05:14 PM
They are blinded by grimaces and broken amyl nitrate capsules strewn around the on-deck circle.
Starring Dennis Hopper, as Frank Booth?

westofyou
11-01-2006, 05:21 PM
Starring Dennis Hopper, as Frank Booth?

Mommy...

http://www.deadballart.com/redszone/booth.jpg

pedro
11-01-2006, 05:32 PM
I'd guess his declining the option has as much to do with multi year deal as anything. He had a pretty good year and this is his best/last chance to get a multi year deal.

TC81190
11-01-2006, 06:01 PM

Uh, no.

deltachi8
11-01-2006, 06:26 PM
Uh, no.

Uh, yes.

Thats a fun argument to make.

:devil:

registerthis
11-01-2006, 07:19 PM
Let me get this straight, the guy whose range might actually be improved by the use of cement shoes, and who has only once in his career had an offensive season that rivals each of Dunn's last three, is now better than Dunn?

Have mercy.