PDA

View Full Version : ARod and Heilman

MartyFan
11-01-2006, 10:23 AM
I was reading an article on FoxSports and they mentioned that ARod could be moved but at the end of the year with his new team he could opt out of his current contract and negotiate an even larger one...With all that in mind what do you give up for ARod and is it worth bringin him to Cincy?

Opting out would cost Rodriguez the $81 million that he is guaranteed from 2008-10. But with Major League Baseball's revenues soaring, Boras could seize the opportunity to negotiate another massive deal, especially if Rodriguez were coming off a big season.

Rodriguez, by voiding the remainder of his $252 million contract, would be viewed as an all-time mercenary. Then again, he already is perceived that way for signing the contract in the first place.

In the same article they mentioned that Mets Pitcher Arron Heilman was severely unhappy pitching out of the pen...what do you think about making a play for him and if so, how much would you give up understanding that he would need to be in the starting 5?

The Mets seem poised to trade right-hander Aaron Heilman, and Heilman would welcome the chance to start for another club. Heilman, who made all 74 of his appearances last season in relief, plans to again ask the Mets about joining their rotation, according to sources close to the pitcher. A negative response from the club will be followed by a trade demand. Heilman simply is not happy pitching out of the bullpen ...

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6124268

zombie-a-go-go
11-01-2006, 10:26 AM
A-Rod will not play for the Reds next season. Tying up that much salary in one player, no matter how great he may be, is something no small or mid-market team can do.

The Reds will never reach the postseason while A-Rod is on the roster.

TeamSelig
11-01-2006, 10:57 AM
Hmm... I'd be interested in getting Heilman. Not sure what they would want in return, or what I'd be willing to send them though.

Highlifeman21
11-01-2006, 11:17 AM
I've been beating the Heilman drum for awhile. I think he'd be a nice complimentary #3 behind Harang and Arroyo. I could then live with a 4/5 of fill in the blanks of Milton/Claussen/Lohse/Belisle/Ramirez.

LaRue and something for Heilman. Let's make it happen.

I would prefer Heilman over Ted Lilly any day.

RedsManRick
11-01-2006, 11:25 AM
I would absolutely love to get Heilman. I'm curious what the Mets would be looking for in return. They really don't need much at the major league level besides middle relief.

steig
11-01-2006, 11:32 AM
I think ARod is a better fit than most others for the Reds. The Reds need a shortstop and we need some right handed power in the lineup. I don't know where else to solve these problems. I don't like the idea of Junior and Arod on the books but if the Reds want to bring in fans and draw media attention I think this could help. The Reds have young players coming up to go along with Arod and Griffey's contract is in the final phase.

Heilman would be a good pick up but I wouldn't trade much for somebody that I consider a 4th starter.

Johnny Footstool
11-01-2006, 12:22 PM
I'd rather have Heilman than Lilly, too, and I'm a fan of Ted Lilly. Heilman would be much cheaper and just as effective.

The thing about Lilly is that he wouldn't cost the Reds anything in terms of talent. They would probably have to give up quite a bit of talent to get Heilman.

Barbarossa
11-01-2006, 12:24 PM
I would absolutely love to get Heilman. I'm curious what the Mets would be looking for in return. They really don't need much at the major league level besides middle relief.

Why not offer them Kyle Lohse? Seem to remember he performed pretty well for the Twins in the pen.

klw
11-01-2006, 01:17 PM
Should the Reds consider Arroyo for Heilman and Milledge? Also when considering Heilman how much of a concern should his elbow be?

red-in-la
11-01-2006, 01:34 PM
RH power comes via EdwinE and Ross.

Chip R
11-01-2006, 01:50 PM
Why not offer them Kyle Lohse? Seem to remember he performed pretty well for the Twins in the pen.

Lohse didn't like pitching in the pen. I would think any team trading for him woukd have to take that into account. Of course it's not like the Mets are deep in starters either.

TeamSelig
11-01-2006, 01:50 PM
I was thinking maybe Weathers and a prospect for him, but Weathers is a FA so there goes that.

And I think I would need more than Heilman/Milledge for Arroyo mainly because Bronson has a low salary for two more seasons.

Johnny Footstool
11-01-2006, 02:12 PM
I like the vision behind an Arroyo for Milledge/Heilman deal, but I'd want John Maine included.

lollipopcurve
11-01-2006, 02:54 PM
Should the Reds consider Arroyo for Heilman and Milledge? Also when considering Heilman how much of a concern should his elbow be?

Excellent idea.

Don't know about Heilman's elbow. If it's a concern, look at Maine or Humber.

OnBaseMachine
11-01-2006, 07:33 PM
Arroyo and Denorfia for Heilman, Maine, and Milledge. Make it happen. Wayne

mth123
11-01-2006, 08:21 PM
Heilman would be a good guy to get cheap. I wouldn't give up too much. Gotta wonder about a guy who wants to start and isn't given a chance when his team is running Jose Lima and Dave Williams out there.

reds44
11-01-2006, 08:26 PM
That's a very interesting idea.

The Reds would then have to dump off Dunn (or Griffey) to make room for Milledge in the ourfield (assuming Deno has a starting spot, which he should).

I don't see Wayne trading Arroyo though.

Falls City Beer
11-01-2006, 08:38 PM

I don't like Maine or Milledge at all. I'd prefer Denorfia over Milledge. Heilman's interesting, but I sure as hell wouldn't give up Arroyo for him.

Cedric
11-01-2006, 08:43 PM
I'd do backflips if the Reds could somehow secure Milledge and Heilman for basically just Arroyo.

Milledge doesn't strike me as the kind of guy that can handle anything but greatness. I like that.

Milledge has great stat lines for his age at every level, especially considering he is still considered a more athletic player than a polished one. He's got elite potential.

Topcat
11-02-2006, 01:53 AM

Now thats just unfathomable you didn't really believe that is possible did you ?

Topcat
11-02-2006, 01:56 AM

Recent word out of Mets office is they won't include Milledge in a deal for Dontrelle and you think they would for Bronson ? Not happening unless its at a deadline deal time before Dontrelle is free to walk for big $$$$

mth123
11-02-2006, 05:24 AM
I don't like Maine or Milledge at all. I'd prefer Denorfia over Milledge. Heilman's interesting, but I sure as hell wouldn't give up Arroyo for him.

This is the correct thinking here. Don't go crazy trying to acquire NY hype. Get Heilman cheap. He may be a nothing as a starter. Why trade a guy who has shown he can help anchor the rotation. The idea is to get him cheap, try him in a spot that the Mets will not and see if he can add to what we have. Even if he fulfills all of the upside that whoever proposed this deal sees in him, he'll just replace Arroyo. Nothing is gained and potentially lots could be lost.

Most I'd go for Heilman would be say Majewski and Moran or something like that. Mets will be looking for relievers to replace Bradford and Heilman.

klw
11-02-2006, 08:57 AM
Recent word out of Mets office is they won't include Milledge in a deal for Dontrelle and you think they would for Bronson ? Not happening unless its at a deadline deal time before Dontrelle is free to walk for big $$$$

I was throwing the idea out there after seeing an article that both were now available. Unfortunately I can't find where it was. This NYT article from earlier this week calls both trading chips. http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/31/sports/baseball/31mets.html?ref=sports
Realistically I think Reds44 is correct that such a move only makes sense in conjunction with other moves.