PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Castellini Reportedly, Said The Fans Should Assume

Spring~Fields
11-01-2006, 01:15 PM
"Should fans assume that the Reds will be just as aggressive in pursuing players this winter as they were in targeting two national broadcasters?"

"Absolutely," Castellini said, without hesitation. "Absolutely."

Source:
http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061101/SPT05/611010333/1027

1.) Should fans assume
2.) Reds will be just as aggressive in pursuing players
3.)Absolutely
4.)Castellini said

I am a fan, and I am assuming, in trust and good faith that the Reds and Mr. Bob Castellini will aggressively pursue, attempt to obtain, players in the highest quality that the market makes available to the Reds organization, just as they have presented and implied that they did in seeking broadcasting talent.

How do the rest of you interpret the quote above and do you believe it credible?

BRM
11-01-2006, 01:17 PM
I just hope they aggressively pursue players that project to add value.

Spring~Fields
11-01-2006, 01:22 PM
I just hope they aggressively pursue players that project to add value.

Well I do also, and he is also quoted as having challenged or charged Mr. Krivsky to achieve that in having reportedly said;

"I'll just throw this out to Wayne Krivsky," the Reds' CEO said at a Tuesday afternoon press conference. "If you can put together as good a team on the field as John Allen has put together in the broadcasting booths, we'll be in the World Series next year."

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061101/SPT05/611010333/1027

redsfan30
11-01-2006, 01:22 PM
I absolutely believe Castellini will allow Krivsky to go after the best. He's done nothing so far to make me believe otherwise.

Redsland
11-01-2006, 01:26 PM
I absolutely believe Castellini will allow Krivsky to go after the best. He's done nothing so far to make me believe otherwise.
Same here.

I love how the reporter said that Castellini responded "without hesitation." He wants a winner, period. No equivocation.

MartyFan
11-01-2006, 01:35 PM
I love being a Reds fan!

BRM
11-01-2006, 01:37 PM
Wayne and Bob are going to have their work cut out for them if they intend to truly go after the Zito and Maddux types.

vaticanplum
11-01-2006, 01:49 PM
< -------------------------------

:roll:

Johnny Footstool
11-01-2006, 02:04 PM
Sounds good, Bob. Now make good on your promises.

harangatang
11-01-2006, 02:05 PM
I absolutely believe Castellini will allow Krivsky to go after the best. He's done nothing so far to make me believe otherwise.You're absolutely right. People often forget that Castellini/Krivsky only had the end of the offseason last year and still came up with some good acquistions (Arroyo, Hatteberg). They have alot of work to do, but I am encouraged that the Reds are at least trying to make this organization respectable again.

TeamSelig
11-01-2006, 02:07 PM
So does this mean we're getting Zito? What other big names are out there?

penantboundreds
11-01-2006, 02:09 PM
juan pierre please...i know you guys probably will hate this post but he is such an asset to a baseball team

Spring~Fields
11-01-2006, 02:09 PM
What other big names are out there?

Quite a few, and or at least enough to more than adequately fill the holes.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AvSyO2BLm2dnTxUI_8W0lX0RvLYF?slug=freeag entlist&prov=st&type=lgns

penantboundreds
11-01-2006, 02:15 PM
is there a post somewhere here to tell me how this posting process works? it sounds like a god awful way of determining who should "win the rights to negotiate" with the player....why cant these players be bought by MLB with the luxury tax and thrown into the mlb draft?

GAC
11-01-2006, 02:17 PM
juan pierre please...i know you guys probably will hate this post but he is such an asset to a baseball team

He wasn't to the Cubs in '06. ;)

No Thank you. Let someone else overpay for this guy's services and .330 OB%. He's making 6 MIL/yr now. Who knows what he'll get in the off-season.

WE NEED PITCHING!..... focus people focus. ;)

Chip R
11-01-2006, 02:19 PM
Just because they are going to aggressively pursue players and open up the checkbook, doesn't mean said players will help.

I give you Exhibits 1 and 2

:wilson: :milton:

vaticanplum
11-01-2006, 02:22 PM
Just because they are going to aggressively pursue players and open up the checkbook, doesn't mean said players will help.

Chip, must you crush dreams with reality?

Spring~Fields
11-01-2006, 02:27 PM
One thing that I do find refreshing about Mr. Castellini and his reported remarks is that he appears to be a successful individual that follows conservatism in his business dealings and communications.

I think we really can reasonably assume that he is giving Mr. Krivsky the tools to achieve the goals and objectives. It would have been somewhat out of character for him to have made such a remark in earnest or jest publically while at the same time to not afford Mr. Krivsky the necessary tools and resources to achieve Mr. Castelliniís spoken aspirations.

TeamSelig
11-01-2006, 02:29 PM
*Fantasy*
Barry Zito
Carlos Lee (Dunn to first base)
Chad Bradford

Zito, Harang, Arroyo, Milton, Lizard/Lohse/Belisle

Freel RF
Dunn 1B
Encarnacion 3B
Lee LF
Griffey CF
Phillips SS/2B
Ross C
2B/SS acquired

BP: Bradford, Coffey, Majik, Bray, Cormier, 2 of Belisle/Lohse/Lizard

Haha

Chip R
11-01-2006, 02:30 PM

I must. I must.

It's OK to dream and hope they get the right players in here. Ain't nothing wrong with that. I admit I do too. But the harsh reality is that throwing money at a player doesn't make them a better player. We could pay Juan Castro $20M a year but it isn't going to make him A-Rod.

corkedbat
Minimum, this off season I'd like to see a strong pitching coach added (I like Hickey from what I've seen), then two solid starters (one FA, one via trade), one closer candidate, a young MI to pair with Phillips and a strong OF or 1B bat (if Dunn goes in a trade I would need to see at least one more solid bat).

I also wouldn't mind a young catcher (could even be AA/AAA) who is solid defensively and can rake. This one is secondary though.

[EDIT] I would love to find a pitching coach candidate who can not only take solid arms and maintain it, but take guys like Claussen or Ramierez, focus them and get the most from the talent they do have.

Spring~Fields

Plus there is the east and west coast along with the Chicago markets to snatch up the player resources that might be available.

GAC
11-01-2006, 02:31 PM

Actively pursuing and making a sincere effort is one thing. Getting them to sign and come here is another.

What ever players we may be fantasizing about..... 20 other teams are also. ;)

There is only one language that players listen to, and that's $$$$$$$$$$.

This is going to be an interesting off-season because the pitching market is still tighter then a new pair of jeans. Wonder what kind of contracts, like Jeff Weaver and a few others, are going to land? ;)

I still say that it's going to have to be done incrementally (piece by piece) over the next couple of years, as we get out from under bad contracts. I don't think there is going to be any HUGE life changing, BIG NAME, signings in this off-season.

So lets not do anything stupid and give out an more bad contracts till we're our from under these. :lol:

But I don't think Kriv will IMO. Just focus on pitching first, and remember Wayne..... no reasonable offer will be refused. Be that used car salesman. ;)

vaticanplum
11-01-2006, 02:39 PM
It's OK to dream and hope they get the right players in here. Ain't nothing wrong with that. I admit I do too. But the harsh reality is that throwing money at a player doesn't make them a better player. We could pay Juan Castro $20M a year but it isn't going to make him A-Rod.

I know. I guess my real underlying hope is that this FO knows who is good to pursue and who is not. They've not given me too much indication of this...but the early acquisitions were pretty good.

I know that Cincinnati is not the most desirable place to play with the team in the state it's in right now, and I've often wondered whether this team will EVER be able to acquire a top free-agent pitcher (as opposed to obtaining them via trade or, horror of horrors, the farm system). That is why money can help with the desirable ones, along with more creative incentives. For example, I would pursue Zito, who is a smart guy, by appealing to his sense of humanity, by reminding him that on the big-money teams on the coasts he is just another pitcher, and easily replaced, and if they don't get him they'll get someone else. Whereas he can singlehandedly be a huge difference with this team, take them to new heights in a way that no other single player can, and be a hero in Cincinnati for generations. I would also offer to build him his own power-generated wave lake for surfing and a rack of rare guitars. And I would give him his own newsletter. Then I would bring in a group of small children wearing Reds Zito jerseys and have them serenade him with a Zinzinnnati Zitotastic! song. But I haven't put a lot of thought into this or anything.

TeamSelig
11-01-2006, 02:41 PM
Hasn't Zito said he wants to stay on the west coast though?

vaticanplum
11-01-2006, 02:43 PM
Hasn't Zito said he wants to stay on the west coast though?

Money talks. As, of course, do singing children.

Chip R
11-01-2006, 02:51 PM
There is only one language that players listen to, and that's $$$$$$$$$$.

Not everyone goes after the almighty dollar. Many players have taken less to either stay someplace or spurned a higher offer to play elsewhere. I believe Greg Maddux turned down the Yankees to go with a lesser offer from the Braves because he didn't want to play in NY. Our main man Jr. could have stayed in SEA for more money or went elsewhere for more money but he decided this is where he wanted to play.

Others want a challenge. Maybe the #3 guy on a pitching staff would rather take less money to be the #1 guy on a staff than stay put for more money. You see a guy like Rich Aurilia. All he wants is a regular job somewhere. If the Reds had told him that he would be the starter at 2nd or SS next year, he would have accepted the option for 2007.

Matt700wlw
11-01-2006, 03:00 PM
This should not come as a shock, really....

I would expect nothing less from Castellini

oneupper
11-01-2006, 03:06 PM

I'll take Deno in CF for $400,000, Alex

JEA
11-01-2006, 03:07 PM

Actually, the harsh reality is that the two examples he provided -- Eric Milton and Paul Wilson -- were signed by a completely different ownership and a completely different general manager.

If you want to discount Castellini's plan before it's even been implemented, I guess that's your prerogative. But personally, I have seen nothing from Castellini to make me assume he's going to renege on his promise.

And hearing the above quote has me very, very excited about this postseason and the coming years.

Of course, that probably doesn't make me very cool or witty. :)

RFS62
11-01-2006, 03:30 PM
Same here.

I love how the reporter said that Castellini responded "without hesitation." He wants a winner, period. No equivocation.

Yep, I agree as well.

We may well argue about the deals Krivsky makes to get there, but I don't doubt for a minute that he's sincere.

Chip R
11-01-2006, 03:35 PM
Actually, the harsh reality is that the two examples he provided -- Eric Milton and Paul Wilson -- were signed by a completely different ownership and a completely different general manager.

If you want to discount Castellini's plan before it's even been implemented, I guess that's your prerogative. But personally, I have seen nothing from Castellini to make me assume he's going to renege on his promise.

No one's discounting his plan and, personally, I believe he is going to stick to his promise. But what he and Krivsky believe are worthy targets to go after may not be. Then again they might. They might have watched the playoffs and came to the decision that they must have Yadier Molina at any price even if that price is Dunn and/or Bailey. Or Jason Marquis with his 14 wins and 194 IPs would be a good pitcher to throw $8M a year at for 3-4 years. While I would commend them for actually going out and getting those players, they really wouldn't be very smart moves. It isn't the plan I'm concerned about. It's the execution of said plan that worries me. Maybe, come spring training, all my worries will be for naught. But just doing something is not necessarily better than doing nothing as the contracts given to Milton and Wilson proved.

harangatang
11-01-2006, 03:38 PM

:griffey:

redsfanmia
11-01-2006, 03:39 PM
The Reds were also going to add payroll if they were close in august right? I will believe it when I see it. Sorry to be a negative Nelly.

harangatang
11-01-2006, 03:46 PM

And hearing the above quote has me very, very excited about this postseason and the coming years.

Of course, that probably doesn't make me very cool or witty. :)Yes those deals were by O'Brien but I think the point of that comment wasn't to point out flaws by former management. I think the point was to show that the most expensive players aren't neccesarily the best players. But anyway I'm excited about the future as you are but I hope Reds fans are willing to be patient.

edabbs44
11-01-2006, 10:59 PM
The Reds were also going to add payroll if they were close in august right? I will believe it when I see it. Sorry to be a negative Nelly.

I'm with you. Lohse and Cormier were the big payroll additions. The FO hasn't made me believe in this yet.

I could totally see Bob giving Wayne a bucket of cash, telling him "Just the essentials" and then Wayne pulling a Lloyd Christmas and coming back from the winter meetings with a giant foam cowboy hat and a paddle ball.

GAC
11-02-2006, 06:32 AM
Not everyone goes after the almighty dollar. Many players have taken less to either stay someplace or spurned a higher offer to play elsewhere. I believe Greg Maddux turned down the Yankees to go with a lesser offer from the Braves because he didn't want to play in NY. Our main man Jr. could have stayed in SEA for more money or went elsewhere for more money but he decided this is where he wanted to play.

Sure, there are always instances that can be sighted. But for the most part..... ;)

Paul Wilson accepted less to stay here. :lol:

But besides money, players also want to play for a contender and a shot at that post-season.

And keep in mind, we are talking about trying to acquire a frontline pitcher, possibly from the FA market that as far as pitching is concerned is tight as can be, meaning, teams that are in the hunt are most likely going to overpay.

Now if I am a pitcher who meets that criteria, and I have numerous teams seriously looking at me and willing to pay that top dollar (including the Reds), then I am going to look at the structure/soundness of those organizations, and go to that team that gives me the best chance of winning.

In other words - if a bigger market team, such as the NY's, Boston's, LA's, Chicago's, offer me a similar deal as a Cincy, Pittsburgh, or K.C., I'm probably not going to end up in Cincy. Unless of course there is something particular about Cincy that I really like..... like my Dad played for the BRM. ;)

GAC
11-02-2006, 06:36 AM

Of course, that probably doesn't make me very cool or witty. :)

I agree, but.....Welcome to the Optimist Club you blind, neandering fool! :lol:

Krusty
11-02-2006, 08:43 AM
If you want Barry Zito, it will take approximately a six year contract worth around 70 million.

What did you say Mr Castellini?

GAC
11-02-2006, 08:58 AM
If you want Barry Zito, it will take approximately a six year contract worth around 70 million.

What did you say Mr Castellini?

And he will probably get something similar to that offered by a few teams. I just sincerely doubt, looking at his options, that he would chose the Reds from that lot. So if that were to happen, would that be Castellini's fault?

Krusty
11-02-2006, 09:17 AM
And he will probably get something similar to that offered by a few teams. I just sincerely doubt, looking at his options, that he would chose the Reds from that lot. So if that were to happen, would that be Castellini's fault?

Nah. The Reds could add someone among the likes of Schimdt, Padilla and even Eaton. Finding a closer is the key. There aren't any available with the exception of Gagne. If the Reds are going to trade for one, who do you deal? Dunn? Harang? Arroyo? The rest of the roster doesn't have that much trade desire.

Johnny Footstool
11-02-2006, 09:35 AM
Nah. Finding a closer is the key. There aren't any available with the exception of Gagne.

Kerry Wood, Octavio Dotel, and even Joe Borowski are available to close and wouldn't cost the Reds anything in terms of talent.

37red
11-02-2006, 09:40 AM
I have condidence in the front office trying to add to the teams performance, after all they signed a big TV contract this year! Castellini has already shown more interest than any recent owners so I take that as a good sign. Too often and too accurately it's been pointed out here on RedsZone that it's really just business and entertainment it's not dog eat dog. So right or wrong by anyone here money is the bottom line.... sigh. We could argue that winning teams mean more money but that's been brought up in a zillion threads that could be brought back from the dead too.

So,I, as always, say clean out the expensive outfielders and spend any spare money on starting pitching. Good pitching beats good hitting. Keep Freel for the thrills. Fix Larue. If Dunn is going to be kept contract him to use a dietician and his speed and fielding will probably take care of themselves. He's a ball player not a line backer. Teach Phillips to seriously focus on his fielding and throwing, he's got the rest. I think they should keep Hatteberg. Hopper has promise but I can't be trusted on that, I sat in Left field in Louisville and liked what I saw in one game, big deal.

Back to the original question..... yes I do trust them.

red-in-la
11-02-2006, 05:36 PM

I think there is a fair chance that Jason Schmidt and Ted Lilly might just help this team.

I would also like to see the Reds go after Jose Guillen :cool:

oneupper
11-02-2006, 06:34 PM
Mr. Castellini Reportedly, Said The Fans Should Assume....

... Crash Positions?

RedLegSuperStar
11-02-2006, 08:05 PM
I've never been more happier to see a FA list like that for the Reds (Reds players that filed)

Krusty
11-03-2006, 10:20 AM
If the Reds have 25 million to play with, they could possibly go for shortstop Alex Gonzalez or second baseman Adam Kennedy. As for starting pitchers, Jason Schimdt might be out of their price range but Adam Eaton, Randy Wolf, Vincete Padilla could be in their range. Closers? I could see this team gambling on Eric Gagne with a one year deal loaded with incentives.

Spring~Fields
11-03-2006, 03:04 PM
If the Reds have 25 million to play with, they could possibly go for shortstop Alex Gonzalez or second baseman Adam Kennedy. As for starting pitchers, Jason Schimdt might be out of their price range but Adam Eaton, Randy Wolf, Vincete Padilla could be in their range. Closers? I could see this team gambling on Eric Gagne with a one year deal loaded with incentives.

I am concerned after seeing some of Mr. K's pitching last year that he might focus on Meche of Seattle or Redman of KC, maybe they could help but, he can do better depending on what the competition by the other clubs does to effect his efforts.

Tony Cloninger
11-04-2006, 06:00 PM
Why do some people assume that just beacuse they did not up the payroll during August....that it means he really is just talking, just to talk?

How does getting overpriced....non-performing talent during the trade deadline equate to not really wanting to enlarge the payroll?

So just make a trade for some overpriced stiff ....at the cost of more talent in the minors that they can afford to give away?

So if PHI offered Abrue and Lidle for Homer, Votto, Denorfia and Wood...you would have said OK?

edabbs44
11-04-2006, 06:16 PM
Why do some people assume that just beacuse they did not up the payroll during August....that it means he really is just talking, just to talk?

How does getting overpriced....non-performing talent during the trade deadline equate to not really wanting to enlarge the payroll?

So just make a trade for some overpriced stiff ....at the cost of more talent in the minors that they can afford to give away?

So if PHI offered Abrue and Lidle for Homer, Votto, Denorfia and Wood...you would have said OK?

The NYY got Abreu and Lidle for much, much less than that. It's not even a contest. If PHI offered Abreu and Lidle for 4 fringe guys in the minors (say BJ Szymanski is the best of the bunch), would you have said OK?

Tony Cloninger
11-04-2006, 07:57 PM
Yes i would have.

BJ and the Bear......and whoever was not named Bruce, Votto, Bailey and Wood.

Jpup
11-04-2006, 08:35 PM
Teach Phillips to seriously focus on his fielding and throwing, he's got the rest.

:eek:

he's the best fielder the Reds have.

CougarQuest
11-04-2006, 10:54 PM
For some reason, I think there will be a lot of trades this winter involving the Reds. The kinds Krusty dreams of.

edabbs44
11-05-2006, 12:03 AM
Yes i would have.

BJ and the Bear......and whoever was not named Bruce, Votto, Bailey and Wood.

Then that would have equated to what NY gave for them. I didn't expect WK to go and get them, but Lieber or Maddux wouldn't have hurt.

37red
11-07-2006, 01:22 PM
Jpup, I think you're right. My point was that if he can be coached to seriously concentrate and focus on his fielding and throwing every single time it comes to him he's headed for some real numbers. It seems to me that sometimes he's just not ready and he blunders a play that he's sooo capable of making. I think he's great, I'd like to see him digging in and pouncing on every ball like I've seen him do. Some fabulous woman must be up in the seats across from him, and of course, we all know being distracted from the game won't do.

Spring~Fields
11-16-2006, 12:36 AM
"Should fans assume that the Reds will be just as aggressive in pursuing players this winter as they were in targeting two national broadcasters?"

Mr. Castellini,

I know that it is still early, but, something is looking strangely familiar and I am starting to worry about your assertion above.

Topcat
11-16-2006, 02:21 AM
The next person who says the Red's need an experienced closer is going to make me :bang: a million times. Most closers are failed starters and who have sopme gas and a secondary pitch. To spend excessively on one is beyond stupid unless your a dead certain lock to win or compete for the World Series. Only 2 worth $$$$$ are Rivera and to a lesser extent Billy Wagner.

How about being realistic? What a novel thought, don't ya think ? Fill the shortstop gap and need for a outfielder with power and average. A starting pitcher who can produce 190 innings plus, solid reserve players who can be pressed into starting duty if necessary and what the hell a 2 more guys for the pen with the high emphasis on 1 being a 4 million solid mid reliever. Seems odd you say? Do not kid yourself come playoff time if we are not in contention the Majik's and Claussen's of this ilk can net a serious loot of prospects when it comes down to the fish or cut bait time.

I am realistic and realize the Red's future has to come from inner development, unlike some who bash I rejoice in our boys and hope for a magical season but the answer is not thru free agency it is thru what we can develop for us and trade to fill in the gaps.

Redsland
11-16-2006, 09:51 AM
Agreed. First a pitcher, then a shortstop.

(That is, now that we've already gotten the Bubba Crosby signing out of the way.) :rolleyes:

GAC
11-16-2006, 09:17 PM
Mr. Castellini,

I know that it is still early, but, something is looking strangely familiar and I am starting to worry about your assertion above.

There is a huge difference though between aggressively pursuing player(s) and getting those players signed.

I know it will be interpreted as making excuses for this FO by some (so be it); but the competition within that market, especially this year's, is great.

Fine..... we would like to see the Reds pursue so-and-so. How many other teams are also aggressively pursuing that player(s)?

Is a FO's efforts then deemed insincere, or the owner lying, because even after the most aggressive of efforts they weren't able to win the bidding sweepstakes over a player(s)?

And as Spitball said on another thread (basically).... alot of teams don't jump into the winter market right away until after initial moves are made over the big name FA's, and the dust has kind of settled.

Before the FA season even began, and players names were being thrown around, what teams were being mentioned as viable contenders/spenders for those players?.... LA, Boston, NY (Mets and Yank).

Lets revisit this thread in about 2-3 months, and then take a look-see back at WHO is throwing/spending all the money at players. For the most part it's the same handful of organizations that can do so.

Hypothetically - the Reds could be real aggressive/serious in going after a Barry Zito. But if you were Barry, and you know the cards are stacked in your favor and you can pretty much dictate where you want to play and for how much..... would Cincy even be in the equation?

WebScorpion
11-16-2006, 09:54 PM
Agreed. First a pitcher, then a shortstop.

(That is, now that we've already gotten the Bubba Crosby signing out of the way.) :rolleyes:

I was thinking Zito and Soriano. Soriano plays second and Phillips moves to SS...Zito, Arroyo, Harang...That's a really nice 1,2,3. Mmmmmmmm.:KoolAid:

Spring~Fields
11-16-2006, 11:21 PM
There is a huge difference though between aggressively pursuing player(s) and getting those players signed.

I know it will be interpreted as making excuses for this FO by some (so be it); but the competition within that market, especially this year's, is great.

Fine..... we would like to see the Reds pursue so-and-so. How many other teams are also aggressively pursuing that player(s)?

Is a FO's efforts then deemed insincere, or the owner lying, because even after the most aggressive of efforts they weren't able to win the bidding sweepstakes over a player(s)?

And as Spitball said on another thread (basically).... alot of teams don't jump into the winter market right away until after initial moves are made over the big name FA's, and the dust has kind of settled.

Before the FA season even began, and players names were being thrown around, what teams were being mentioned as viable contenders/spenders for those players?.... LA, Boston, NY (Mets and Yank).

Lets revisit this thread in about 2-3 months, and then take a look-see back at WHO is throwing/spending all the money at players. For the most part it's the same handful of organizations that can do so.

Hypothetically - the Reds could be real aggressive/serious in going after a Barry Zito. But if you were Barry, and you know the cards are stacked in your favor and you can pretty much dictate where you want to play and for how much..... would Cincy even be in the equation?

Please tell me Greg, that you are not trying to make me accountable for what Castellini was reported as having said. I take the man at his word, I have faith in the man, I believe and interpret him literally.

Mr. Castellini made that statement in connection with a comparison to their improving the broadcast team, and he assured them that the Reds team would also be improved. The key words are not the usage of the term "agressive", they are what they imply that Castellini "absolutely" intends to improve this team, it implys that he has every intention of improving this team.

I realize that players have a choice, I realize that other organizations purchase these entertainers services. Remember Curt Flood, remember when Rose left the Reds, it has been going on for a long time.

In management it is not about lying, it is about whether the mangement team can get the job done or not.

If I was Barry I would go play for Lou in that Chicago market.

It is still early, don't panic, give Castellini and Krivsky a chance. Absolutely we shall see.

redsfanmia
01-06-2007, 05:17 PM
Liar

CrackerJack
01-06-2007, 06:25 PM
pants on fire.

TheBigLebowski
01-06-2007, 07:54 PM
They aggressively pursued free agents, but what we didn't know was the FA's we'd aggressively pursue were Chad Moeller and Jeff Conine.

redsfanmia
01-06-2007, 07:59 PM
They aggressively pursued free agents, but what we didn't know was the FA's we'd aggressively pursue were Chad Moeller and Jeff Conine.

True, I should have realized the Chad Moeller was the big free agent Cast was talking about.

pedro
01-06-2007, 08:51 PM
OTOH, I don;t think anyone had any idea the amount of money that would be thrown to FA's this winter. I think it was pretty clear from the start that the Reds wouldn't be players for any of the major free agents and with the contracts that were thrown out there I can't say I'm that disappointed. I would have liked to see them get some mid range guys like David Delucci and Craig Wilson though as that may have allowed them to trade Freel for a pitcher.

Spring~Fields
01-07-2007, 01:11 AM

I had forgotten all about this thread.

Never realized at the time his words would turn out so misleading.

Looks his words might be invalid for several years or seasons to come. ;)

Spring~Fields
01-07-2007, 01:16 AM

Anyone under 2 million and over 35 is fair game, lets be reasonable. :)

reds44
01-07-2007, 02:27 AM
Kenny Williams said the market cost too much for the White Sox. Think about that for a seconds. They are the White Sox, and we are the Reds. We also spent more money them then in the offseason.

I don't know why you would have an issue with the amount of money spent. I think one could have an issue on who it was spent on.

MartyFan
01-07-2007, 04:16 AM
Curious to know also which FA's did they have initial talks with that never materialized in a deal?

Would any of the FA's that have been signed so far for the money they signed been a good investment for this team?

If so, which one and why?

Ltlabner
01-07-2007, 07:28 AM

Not to parse words, but BCast answered absolutely when asked, "Should fans assume that the Reds will be just as aggressive in pursuing players this winter as they were in targeting two national broadcasters?"

Since we don't know how agressivley we persued anybody I don't think it's reasonable to assume they didn't.

We can question the results of their efforts, and I certinally do, but I don't think there is any evidence other than speculation to say they didn't persue players "agressivley".

Again, I understand I'm parsing words.

westofyou
01-07-2007, 10:46 AM

I never realized 70 days was the drop dead date for promises made to fans.

RANDY IN INDY
01-07-2007, 02:45 PM
Depends on the type of fan that you are, I guess. It's pretty obvious to me that the free agent pool is weak and expensive. Meaningful trades sometimes take time to construct.

Spring~Fields
01-07-2007, 03:56 PM
Kenny Williams said the market cost too much for the White Sox. Think about that for a seconds. They are the White Sox, and we are the Reds. We also spent more money them then in the offseason.

I don't know why you would have an issue with the amount of money spent. I think one could have an issue on who it was spent on.

I don't have any issues with the investors money within the Reds organization, Castellini is the one that made the remarks, it is he who is to be accountable for them, not I. Perhaps he should have been better informed and aware of the potential changes in his business before making such exaggerations.

I would suggest that he do his homework the next time.

Spring~Fields
01-07-2007, 03:58 PM
I never realized 70 days was the drop dead date for promises made to fans.

Is that my fault? ;)

Spring~Fields
01-07-2007, 04:01 PM
Not to parse words, but BCast answered absolutely when asked, "Should fans assume that the Reds will be just as aggressive in pursuing players this winter as they were in targeting two national broadcasters?"

Since we don't know how agressivley we persued anybody I don't think it's reasonable to assume they didn't.

We can question the results of their efforts, and I certinally do, but I don't think there is any evidence other than speculation to say they didn't persue players "agressivley".

Again, I understand I'm parsing words.

I thought that this old thread was dead and gone, kind of like the past six seasons working on number seven.

I just wanted it in archives for future discourse with GAC, at or around July 07 through July 2010 :evil: :evil: He knows I wanted it saved to say, remember this. :laugh: