PDA

View Full Version : Diasuke Matsuzaka

Superdude
11-01-2006, 04:25 PM
I doubt I spelled that right, but how much is he expected to go for this offseason? Is this a good place for Castellini to make his first big splash?

westofyou
11-01-2006, 04:28 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6124634

Daisuke Matsuzaka, the most dominant pitcher in Japanese baseball for the past eight seasons, is heading to the major leagues.

"I feel very relieved today," Matsuzaka told a packed press conference. "I've wanted to go to the major leagues for a long time and am happy this day has finally come."

Matsuzaka was 17-5 with a 2.13 ERA and 200 strikeouts this year in Japan, and he impressed many major league scouts last March during the World Baseball Classic, where he was selected MVP as Japan won the title.

The Seibu Lions said Matsuzaka's rights will be "posted," meaning that all 30 major league teams can bid on the 26-year-old right-hander. The team with the highest bid gains the right to attempt to sign the pitcher.

The Lions reportedly plan to seek $30 million from a major league team just for rights to negotiate with Matsuzaka. That's not including the $13-15 million annual salary he'll likely earn.

Matsuzaka has selected Scott Boras to represent him in negotiations with major league teams.

"I'm not sure which team I will end up playing for," Matsuzaka said. "I know there are several teams that are interested and I'll go with the one that most appropriately evaluates my ability."

The New York Yankees and the Seattle Mariners have shown interest in Matsuzaka. The Los Angeles Dodgers, Boston Red Sox and New York Mets could also be in the running.

dougdirt
11-01-2006, 04:29 PM
It would be nice to sign him, but its going to cost 20-30 million just to negotiate with him before you sign him. The reds simply cant and wont go for that.

BRM
11-01-2006, 04:30 PM
Well, he hired Scott Boras as his agent. He'll end up in New York.

TOBTTReds
11-01-2006, 04:39 PM
With that kind of price tag, I hope that no one goes for him. Whoever gets him, bargains another reason for the salary cap if they pay $30 mil to sign him. :help:

BRM
11-01-2006, 04:41 PM
$30M for the right to negotiate, then another $15M per year. I'm guessing a five year contract at minimum as well. How many teams can swing that?

Superdude
11-01-2006, 04:43 PM
The Lions reportedly plan to seek $30 million from a major league team just for rights to negotiate with Matsuzaka.

Ouch! Never mind then.

Redsfan08
11-01-2006, 06:37 PM
I think he'll be decent

MrCinatit
11-01-2006, 06:43 PM
That kind of price tag to even negociate with him pretty much leaves only a couple of teams in the ballpark.
Too bad, too. I wouldn't have minded seeing us get a shot.

RedsManRick
11-01-2006, 06:59 PM
Exactly, if you figure he gets a 6 year contract, just take whatever yearly salary you'd think he'd cost and add 5 million. That's what the posting process adds.

Strikes Out Looking
11-01-2006, 07:21 PM
I'd like the Reds to sign him just to hear Nuxie try to say his name.

Ben
11-01-2006, 07:40 PM
What is the scouting report on Matsuzaka? What does he throw, height, weight, etc?

TOBTTReds
11-01-2006, 07:46 PM
Here's a video of him:

http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?p=Diasuke+Matsuzaka+&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&b=0&oid=7aa4e65f321a1b34&rurl=video.yahoo.com&vdone=http%3A%2F%2Fvideo.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fvide o%3Fp%3DDiasuke%2BMatsuzaka%2B%26toggle%3D1%26cop% 3Dmss%26ei%3DUTF-8

Here is a 5 minute clip:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oPDGUzMzGts

Superdude
11-01-2006, 07:46 PM
What is the scouting report on Matsuzaka? What does he throw, height, weight, etc?

Ht/Wt: 6-0/205
Agent: Scott Boras

Tools:

4-Seam Fastball: 65+
Sits 91-94 mph, touches 95+ on rare occasions. Good movement, can tail away from lefties and in on righties. Slight downward plane keeps ball near bottom of zone.

2-Seamer: 65+
Sits 87-90 mph, has sinking, cutting action. Can change speeds on demand, improving pitch.

Curve Ball: 70
Sits 77-81 mph, sharp, late bite. Immediately one of best curves in game. Can adjust break to gain lateral movement like a slider with vertical break of typical curve. Good depth, consistent arm slot.

Forkball: 60
Usually 83-87 mph, split-finger type change-up. Baffling at times. Can change speeds effectively - and at will.

Delivery/Mechanics: 70
May have trouble holding runners in the states with his slow wind up, but doesn’t lose stuff from the stretch. Very consistent arm slot helps all of his pitches.

Straying Power: 65
He’s just 26 and though his workload is a popular issue, he’s showed very few signs of breaking down and there’s no reason to believe he won’t be very good through and beyind his original MLB contract, which is likely to be three years.

OFP: 70
There is no reason Matsuzaka won’t be a legit TOR starter who dominates at times.

You get all that AND the mysterious gyro-ball! :eek:

Matt700wlw
11-02-2006, 07:16 PM
Teams have to have their bids in by 5:00 Wednesday (Nov 8th)

BoydsOfSummer
11-02-2006, 11:39 PM
Might as well root for the Yanks to get him. It adds to their already over-the-limit payroll, thus they'll have to pay the penalty tax, adding to the "poor" teams coffers. A fund I don't believe the Reds will be eligible for this time around.

smith288
11-03-2006, 12:10 PM
I watched his video and honestly, he doesnt look all that dominating.

One thing's for sure, Japanese baseball's defense look like turd.

texasdave
11-03-2006, 01:03 PM
In the interest of competitive balance this system should be enacted in dealing with this type of international 'free agent' player, such as Matsuzaka. Any such player should make it known to the Commissioner's Office of their desire to play in the major leagues by a certain date. (Nov. 15) A list of these names will then be compiled and sent to all major league teams. Two weeks later a draft will be held in reverse order of the won/loss records of that season. Each team will pick until all the names on the list are gone. At this point the team will own the rights to any and all players they select. Since it is in the best interest of baseball that players such as Matsuzaka play here. And since the team owning the rights to such a player may not be able to financially afford taking on such a contract. The team owning said rights will be allowed to trade - not sell - these rights to any of the other major league ballclubs.

Chip R
11-03-2006, 02:21 PM
In the interest of competitive balance this system should be enacted in dealing with this type of international 'free agent' player, such as Matsuzaka. Any such player should make it known to the Commissioner's Office of their desire to play in the major leagues by a certain date. (Nov. 15) A list of these names will then be compiled and sent to all major league teams. Two weeks later a draft will be held in reverse order of the won/loss records of that season. Each team will pick until all the names on the list are gone. At this point the team will own the rights to any and all players they select. Since it is in the best interest of baseball that players such as Matsuzaka play here. And since the team owning the rights to such a player may not be able to financially afford taking on such a contract. The team owning said rights will be allowed to trade - not sell - these rights to any of the other major league ballclubs.

That's too complicated. Just make them eligible for the amateur draft in June. All those Cuban defectors too. And while we're at it, any foreign player should fall into that category too. Dominicans, Venezuelans, Koreans, Mexicans, etc. If they play for a pro team overseas, work out some form of compensation with MLB.