PDA

View Full Version : Hot Stove League show report

Chip R
11-01-2006, 10:00 PM
Here is the Reds Hot Stove League show report for 11-1-06.

For those of you who are new to the board, I do this report every week through spring training. It's not a transcript and I usually leave things out that aren't directly related to the Reds. I will also, from time to time, make some comments about what has been said on the show. These comments are in parenthesis and are only my opinion. I will try to get this done at a decent time on Wednesday evenings but there might be times I won't get it done for a day or two so bear with me. I hope you enjoy reading these reports.

Marty opened the show by talking about the hiring of Jeff Brantley to do TV and radio games next year. Marty doesn't think there are a better group of broadcasters for one team in baseball today. (I'm sure Tim McCarver feels the same way when he's in the booth with anyone else )

After commercial the executive director of the Reds Community Fund, Charlie Frank, joined Marty. They talked about a show called The Putnam County Spelling Bee which will be playing at the Aronoff Center in Cincinnati. This is some sort of an audience interactive/improv touring show and for 3 shows on Nov. 14th, 21st and 24th, $10 from each ticket sold for those shows will go to the Reds Community Fund. Marty will be there on the 21st, Bob Castellini will be there on the 14th and Tom Browning will be there on the 24th. Charlie then talked about what will be going on at Reds Fest on Dec. 1 & 2. There will be a Texas Hold Em Poker tournament there with Reds players and fans on Saturday night with proceeds going to benefit the Community Fund. Doors for the tournament will open at 5 and the poker will start at 7 and go till midnight. It will be upstairs and is for people 21 and older. He said that the players wanted to interact with the fans but wanted to do something different than signing autographs and posing for pictures. 50 former and current players, coaches and celebrities will be playing. There will be 450 other players at $200 per person. For information, go to the Reds home page. People who want to watch but don't want to play can pay $30 for dinner and drinks. Marty said that one of the Reds owners, Rick Steiner is a world class poker player. Charlie said he was a champion player (Not to mention a champion tag team wrestler too.)

After commercial, the first caller asked Marty what he thought of the Cardinals winning it all. Marty said he was stunned and thought the Tigers had the better team. Marty said that they turned it on at the most important time of the year and got great performances by guys like Carpenter, Suppan, Weaver and Eckstein. He said it was a real feather in the cap of Tony La Russa and people had asked him if that clinched a HOF spot for La Russa. Marty said that he thought he was a cinch to be in there even if they hadn't won.

The next caller asked Marty about Steve Stewart. Marty said they talk quite a bit and his name has popped up for vacancies in Milwaukee and Seattle. Marty said he'd do everything in his power to get him another job. The caller said he was sad to see him go and Marty agreed and reiterated that he fought like a dog (He didn't say what kind of a dog) to keep him there and they had a great relationship especially during this season.

Marty then repeated the Brantley announcement (And I thought that nothing could top the man-love that George Grande has for Jim Edmonds. Marty and Jeff need to get a room). He said that Rich Aurilia decided against picking up his option with the Reds and has filed for free agency but the Reds can still re-sign him. He said that Eddie Guardado, Ryan Franklin (don't let the door hit you on the way out, son) and Scott Shoeneweis filed for free agency. He also mentioned Todd Hollandsworth, Jason Johnson, David Weathers and Royce Clayton have filed for free agency too. Ken Mercker is the only potential free agent on the Reds roster now.

After commercial, the next caller said that Bob and the ownership group should be thanked for the moves they have made with getting Thom and now Jeff Brantley. (I can hear fans now on Opening Day, "Boy the Reds sure have a good team up in the radio and TV booths this year." I just wonder when they are going to have Thom and Jeff bobblehead nights.) The caller asked Marty how different will the Reds be next year. He asked if they would move Dunn and said that the Reds may need a closer. Marty said he wouldn't be surprised what the Reds decided to do with Dunn and a closer could be tough to find. Marty said that Homer Bailey may be a factor next year. The caller asked about rumors of Dunn going to the Angels for a starter. Marty said that you can't discount any rumors about Dunn being traded. He said that there have been many players in the past that teams have subtly let it be known are available.

The next caller asked about Kyle Lohse as a closer. Marty said he has the stuff to be a closer but doesn't know if he has the proper makeup to be a closer. Marty gave Kyle Farnsworth as an example of someone who has great stuff but doesn't have the makeup to be a closer. The caller asked if Brandon Phillips would be moved to SS. Marty said he thinks the Reds prefer him at 2nd but SS is his natural position.

The next caller said that the Pirates are after Mark Texeria but the Rangers want Zach Duke or Gonzalez in return. Marty said Texeria is a good hitter. The caller asked if the Reds might bring back Sean Casey. (OK, who had 33 minutes in the pool?) Marty said they doubt it since they have Scott Hatteberg at 1st. The caller said that Hatteberg is a good player.

After commercial, the next caller said that between Brantley and the 2 Brennamans, they should call themselves the Killer Bs of broadcasting. Marty didn't think that was too bad. (That was so funny I forgot to laugh) The caller asked about any pitching the Reds would go after. Marty said that i's too early to speculate who they will focus on but they will go after pitching. The caller asked if they are going to bring Aurilia back and Marty said he thought they will make every effort to bring him back. The caller said that we should try to get Aaron Boone back at 3rd. (Wow.) Marty said they are committed to Encarnacion. The caller said he has room to improve at 3rd and Marty said that EE knows that.

The next caller asked if Jr. was coming back next year. Marty said he would think so.

The next caller said he would let Dunn go cause he makes Rico Carty look good in LF. He said he's never seen anyone come in on a ball worse than Dunn and it's not just the balls he drops it's the ones he doesn't get to and he'd package him with Ross cause Ross will never be worth more than he is worth now. He said Ross drops a lot of throws at home (Can't argue with that) and no one will take LaRue so the Reds might as well play him and trade Ross and Dunn for a Number 1 or 2 starter. Marty said he doesn't know if he agrees about Ross. The caller said that Phillips should play SS and they should re-sign Aurilia to play 2nd. Marty said that isn't beyond the realm of possibility and if they don't find someone to play SS from outside the organization, they might just move Phillips to SS.

The next caller asked about moving Jr. to LF if Dunn is traded and if we could get one of the Cardinals pitchers to be our closer. Marty said it will be interesting to see what happens if the Reds ask Jr. to move. Marty said that he thinks the Cards want Wainwright to start if Isringhausen can come back.

The next caller asked about Alfonso Soriano and said that while JimBo was GM here, he expressed interest in trading for him. Marty said it won't happen because he's looking for a $100M deal. Marty said he's an incredible talent and he admires him for working hard to improve and for keeping his mouth shut about playing LF after spring training.

Thus endeth the Reds Hot Stove League show report for 11-1-06. So let it be written. So let it be done.

vaticanplum
11-01-2006, 10:09 PM
They talked about a show called The Putnam County Spelling Bee which will be playing at the Aronoff Center in Cincinnati. This is some sort of an audience interactive/improv touring show and for 3 shows on Nov. 14th, 21st and 24th, $10 from each ticket sold for those shows will go to the Reds Community Fund.

On a side note, this is an EXCELLENT show. Its name is the 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee and it is hilarious and hearbreaking. It's not really all that audience interactive and definitely not an improv show -- just a straight up musical by William Finn -- but that might be changed for touring. In any case, I highly recommend seeing it, especially if it benefits the Reds. I'm not usually a big musical buff but this is just fantastic.

Marty said he doesn't know if he agrees about Ross.

Are we to assume then that he agrees about Dunn? ;)

Yay Chip. It's good to have this back.

Reds Nd2
11-01-2006, 10:22 PM
Thanks Chip. Your report was the reason I logged on tonight. Good stuff as always.

Yay Chip. It's good to have this back.

Hot Stove reports just mean the baseball season is over. :(

OnBaseMachine
11-01-2006, 10:30 PM
The Pirates would be stupid not to trade Duke for Teixeira. That would be an absolute steal for the Pirates.

Oh, and thanks Chip.

Matt700wlw
11-01-2006, 10:33 PM
(I'm sure Tim McCarver feels the same way when he's in the booth with anyone else )

1 segment in and already taking shots at Marty....didn't take long

Matt700wlw
11-01-2006, 10:33 PM
Thanks Chip. Your report was the reason I logged on tonight. Good stuff as always.

Hot Stove reports just mean the baseball season is over. :(

Or it hasn't started yet :)

reds44
11-01-2006, 10:36 PM
Aaron Boone???!

Considering who we have playing 3rd, that may have been a worse idea then moving Dunn to 1st and Hatteberg to LF.

Chip R
11-01-2006, 10:42 PM
1 segment in and already taking shots at Marty....didn't take long

Actually, that was a shot at McCarver.

Matt700wlw
11-01-2006, 10:44 PM
Actally, that was a shot at McCarver.

Oh...sorry :D

Chip R
11-01-2006, 10:49 PM
Oh...sorry :D

Jealous cause I got my report up before you got the podcast up? ;)

Matt700wlw
11-01-2006, 10:53 PM
I think I had it by 8 or so tonight....something like that...

I win :D :p:

Chip R
11-01-2006, 10:58 PM
I think I had it by 8 or so tonight....something like that...

I win :D :p:

My post was up before yours so therefore, I win. :mooner:

TOBTTReds
11-02-2006, 12:38 AM
On a side note, this is an EXCELLENT show. Its name is the 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee and it is hilarious and hearbreaking.

Somebody point out the irony in this post.

MrCinatit
11-02-2006, 07:20 AM

I looked the post over a millions times, and couldn't find anything wrong with it, Aves. How hearbreaking.

Anyhow, many, many thanks, Chip. It is always interesting to hear (or read) Marty's comments, observations and opinions on everything Reds.
(Boone back at 3rd...I wonder where some people get these ideas :all_cohol )

Natty Redlocks
11-02-2006, 07:23 AM

What do you mean? I've seen that show; it IS hilarious and hear-breaking.

chicoruiz
11-02-2006, 07:59 AM
Chip, thanks again for bringing us all the content of HSL without the pain of actually sitting through it for an hour of our lives. We appreciate it.

vaticanplum
11-02-2006, 08:02 AM
Hey, I WON my school's spelling bee.

Before I started drinking.

Crosley68
11-02-2006, 08:27 AM
As always, thanks a ton Chip!!!

redsfan4445
11-02-2006, 09:00 AM
The Pirates would be stupid not to trade Duke for Teixeira. That would be an absolute steal for the Pirates.

Oh, and thanks Chip.

what if the Reds offered Dunn in a package for Bay and Duke???

I would like that even if Dunn is in the same division after the trade!!!

FutureRedsGM
11-02-2006, 09:20 AM
what if the Reds offered Dunn in a package for Bay and Duke???

I would like that even if Dunn is in the same division after the trade!!!

The problem with that is it would take a HUGE package to go along with Dunn to land both of those players. I would think it would take 2 of Votto / Bruce / Stubbs / etc.

lollipopcurve
11-02-2006, 09:22 AM
thanks Chip -- long one!

Always Red
11-02-2006, 11:47 AM
Great post, Chip, thanks for the summary.

I absolutely love the Rico Carty reference!

goreds2
11-02-2006, 12:48 PM
Chip, thanks again for bringing us all the content of HSL without the pain of actually sitting through it for an hour of our lives. We appreciate it.

Yes Chip R, that was a great report. THANKS!!

If anyone wants to listen to the PODCAST, it is here. I personally like Chip R's update better.

(After clinking on LINK, scroll to bottom right hand side)
http://www.700wlw.com/cc-common/podcast.html

Heath
11-02-2006, 02:05 PM
Chip's HSL Report. Accept No Substitutes.

Fan-dang-tastic job as usual. Thanks again.

deltachi8
11-02-2006, 02:38 PM

I would have won mine but I always think "pants" is spelled with a silent k.

Jr's Boy
11-02-2006, 03:08 PM
Thanks Chip,good job.I always look forward to your hot stove break down and comments.

Matt700wlw
11-02-2006, 03:09 PM

Now the real challenge.....win it AFTER drinking :all_cohol: