PDA

View Full Version : Brook Jacoby named Reds hitting coach

timmario66
11-03-2006, 04:16 PM
Per Marc's blog:

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/

savafan
11-03-2006, 04:17 PM
Cory Snyder can't be too far behind then. ;)

Joseph
11-03-2006, 04:20 PM
I used to love his baseball card when I was a kid.

Doc. Scott
11-03-2006, 04:23 PM
Gee, an ex-Rangers coach... you think Jerry Narron had anything to do with it?

Chip R
11-03-2006, 04:24 PM
Color me underwhelmed.

flyer85
11-03-2006, 04:25 PM
I think the key is better hitters.

Matt700wlw
11-03-2006, 04:25 PM
Gee, an ex-Rangers coach... you think Jerry Narron had anything to do with it?

Considering the manager hires (or at least has the most say) the coaches, I would say so...

BRM
11-03-2006, 04:36 PM
Color me underwhelmed.

Being underwhelmed is the standard in Reds country.

Red Leader
11-03-2006, 04:37 PM
Brooks Jacoby?

Sweeeeeeeeeeet.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Matt700wlw
11-03-2006, 04:39 PM
Am I behind or dumb (don't answer that part :)) if I say I don't know anything about this guy?

Joseph
11-03-2006, 04:42 PM
He's Mr Nobody as far as his own 'expertise' as a hitter in his time in the majors. Thats why no one is impressed [aside from me with his 8o-something Topps]

redsmetz
11-03-2006, 04:44 PM
Here's Marc's blog entry specifically.

The Reds have hired former major leaguer Brook Jacoby as their new hitting coach. Jacoby has been with the Rangers organization the past four seasons following a three-year stint with the Reds' farm system from 2000-02. With the Reds, he spent a year as the roving hitting instructor and two years as Louisville's hitting coach.

Jacoby played 11 seasons in the majors, hitting .270 for the Braves, A's and Indians.

One of his proteges, albeit briefly, was Adam Dunn who stopped over in Louisville on his way to his ML debut in the summer of 2001. Presumably as the roving instructor in 2000 he worked with Dunn in Single A and Double A. I'm anxious to see if Jacoby had some previous success with Adam Dunn if he can help him now. Who else was on the 2001 and 2002 clubs in Louisville? Here's a blurb from one site I found -

http://www.jockbio.com/Bios/Dunn/Dunn_bio.html

Adam wasted little time acquainting himself with International League pitching. After a brief adjustment period, he homered in five of his first 10 games, including a pair of game-winners. Named the IL's Batter of the Week, Adam continued to hammer away. By mid-June, he already had eight home runs and 25 RBIs for the RiverBats.

In July, Adam was named to the U.S. team for the All-Star Futures Game. Hitting fourth behind Jason Lane and in front of Nick Johnson, he bombed a 409-foot home run off Juan Pena, a promising pitcher for the Oakland A’s. Several days later Adam traveled to Indianapolis for the Triple-A All-Star Game. Again he dazzled, this time going deep twice, including a booming shot that cleared Victory Field's rightfield bleachers.

That was all the Reds had to see. On July 20, Adam—sporting a .344 average with 16 homers and 44 RBIs in 151 at-bats for Louisville—was called up to the big club, far ahead of the schedule set by Cincinnati management. But with the team beset by injuries and out of the playoff hunt, the Reds felt the pressure on Adam would be minimal. Besides, he had nothing left to prove in the minors.

BRM
11-03-2006, 04:44 PM
Marc's blog says he was with the Rangers the last four years. I assume he was the hitting coach for all four? The Rangers have had a pretty good offense the last few years.

Joseph
11-03-2006, 04:46 PM
Marc's blog says he was with the Rangers the last four years. I assume he was the hitting coach for all four? The Rangers have had a pretty good offense the last few years.

I'm guessing he was in their minors because that Jamarillo [sp?] fellow was their hitting coach the last few years I thought.

NJReds
11-03-2006, 04:50 PM
He's Mr Nobody as far as his own 'expertise' as a hitter in his time in the majors. Thats why no one is impressed [aside from me with his 8o-something Topps]

Are there a lot of prolific hitters that go on to be successful hitting coaches?

Cyclone792
11-03-2006, 04:51 PM
Dunn's worked with Jacoby in the past:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FCI/is_7_64/ai_n15378939/pg_2

The left-handed hitting, fight-handed throwing Dunn credits Cincinnati hitting coach Chris Chambliss for much of his recent success.

According to Dunn, Chambliss "is very good. He doesn't try to overcoach. If he sees something wrong, he'll tell you."

Dunn also speaks highly of working on his hitting with former major leaguers Jim Hickman, Brook Jacoby, and Mike Greenwell.

It's at least a small bit of good news, but time will tell if Jacoby turns out to be the right man for the job. I'm hoping he doesn't go Tom Robson on our hitters by preaching aggressiveness, contact hitting, and swinging at junk out of the strike zone.

BRM
11-03-2006, 04:52 PM
I'm guessing he was in their minors because that Jamarillo [sp?] fellow was their hitting coach the last few years I thought.

Ah, okay.

Dom Heffner
11-03-2006, 04:52 PM
Maybe Mario Mendoza isn't doing anything, either.

Chip R
11-03-2006, 04:55 PM
fight-handed?

Heath
11-03-2006, 04:59 PM
Brook Jacoby was one of two reasons (Andre Thornton) that there were Cleveland Indians baseball in the early-mid 80's. Two-time all-star. Made Javy's 'stache look anorexic.

The Rangers can mash - there are better choices - but there could be worse.

I'm actually more interested in the new pitching coach.

Red Leader
11-03-2006, 05:07 PM

http://www.willhines.net/spitemag/bile/lineup/art/henry.jpg

And yes, he just said "funky, butt-lovin"

savafan
11-03-2006, 05:30 PM
fight-handed?

Pretty accurate I'd say. No wonder he's so poor defensively. :D

redsmetz
11-03-2006, 05:44 PM
The Rangers can mash - there are better choices - but there could be worse.

I agree completely particularly on the Pitching Coach question.

MartyFan
11-03-2006, 06:19 PM
Oh, TeamClark!!!! What say you?

deltachi8
11-03-2006, 06:23 PM
http://www.willhines.net/spitemag/bile/lineup/art/henry.jpg

And yes, he just said "funky, butt-lovin"

does he bring Tara Reid with him?

Handofdeath
11-03-2006, 06:55 PM
Jacoby has been a minor league hitting instructor for the Rangers for the last few years. He also subbed for Rudy Jamarillo when he was out with cancer. Since Jamarillo wasn't available why not get the next best thing? I believe TeamClark called Jamarillo the best hitting coach in the majors. The guy working under him using his way of teaching should be a very good hire IMO.

Yachtzee
11-03-2006, 07:28 PM
How about Tony Bernazard for infield coach?

StillFunkyB
11-03-2006, 07:29 PM
He fits in just fine along side Jeff Manto from Pittsburgh.

Where is Felix Fermin when you need him? :D

TOBTTReds
11-03-2006, 07:34 PM
I used to love his baseball card when I was a kid.

Me too! Big batting stance staring straight into the camera with a funny look on his face. I bet i know exactly which one you are talking about. Maybe that was dennis cook...i dont know now.

savafan
11-03-2006, 07:44 PM
Where is Felix Fermin when you need him? :D

Someplace warm I hope. I miss Jose "Chico" Lind!

marcshoe
11-03-2006, 09:05 PM
I really liked Jacoby's Hamlet. I liked it better than the Branaugh version, where Jacoby played Claudius (not to be confused with "I, Claudius", where he played the title character). I didn't know he knew anything about hitting, though.

Heath
11-03-2006, 09:26 PM
How about Tony Bernazard for infield coach?

Sure, and Castellini needs to hire Duane Kuiper to do the rest of the broadcasting.

:D

Team Clark
11-03-2006, 10:22 PM
Oh, TeamClark!!!! What say you?

I like Brook. I observed quite a bit of his work first hand in Louisville. Good teacher, good methods. Not a bad choice. I think by choosing Brook they are giving him a direct opportunity to babysit Adam. No more excuses for Adam or the organization. I remember that Brook Jacoby was a Joe Randa style hitter. My friend Pat Tabler really likes Brook and his philosophies. I guess we will see what his impact will be. This selection also goes WAAAAAYYYY beyond just mechanics and approach. There are other underlying issues involved and Narron will have to tighten the ship to keep it together over the long haul. IMO the Pitching coach selection will be far more important and have 3x the impact of the hitting coach this upcoming season.

mth123
11-03-2006, 10:26 PM
I like Brook. I observed quite a bit of his work first hand in Louisville. Good teacher, good methods. Not a bad choice. I think by choosing Brook they are giving him a direct opportunity to babysit Adam. No more excuses for Adam or the organization. I remember that Brook Jacoby was a Joe Randa style hitter. My friend Pat Tabler really likes Brook and his philosophies. I guess we will see what his impact will be. This selection also goes WAAAAAYYYY beyond just mechanics and approach. There are other underlying issues involved and Narron will have to tighten the ship to keep it together over the long haul. IMO the Pitching coach selection will be far more important and have 3x the impact of the hitting coach this upcoming season.

Wow. That says a lot and what is unsaid seems to say more.

Team Clark
11-03-2006, 11:15 PM
Wow. That says a lot and what is unsaid seems to say more.

Narron does not command a lot of the respect that a Jim Leyland, Tony LaRussa, Bruce Bochy, Terry Francona, Mike Scioscia or Frank Robinson commands. From what I hear, and I have heard A LOT this off season, there are a lot of leadership issues with this team. Nobody wanted to rock the boat when they were winning but most of the Vets were peeved at the laziness and lack of accountability in the younger players. Narron does his best but his coaching staff doesn't carry the weight that it should. Narron may lay down the law but there is very little enforcement after a day or two. Too many players doing what they want to do and too many veterans letting it happen because they do not care or do not feel like they can get results. It's not romper room but the extra work and "little things" are practically non existent or "staged" to get media off a player's back. How ridiculous is that??! I've heard it all and I hope the rest of the changes truly are going to be made. A lot of contracts will have to be moved but I believe Wayne is capable.

Ron Madden
11-04-2006, 04:32 AM
I doubt commanding respect has anything to do with winning. Talented players win baseball games.

Leyland, LaRussa, Bochy, Francona, Scioscia, Robinson, Huggins, Anderson or Torre never won a single game without talented players.

I'd like a manager and coaching staff with the ability to identify the talents of the 25 players on the roster and the wisdom to place them in position to suceed.

I have often wonderd just how many promising careers have been thwarted by stubborn managers or coaches, insistent on transforming young talent to fit the mold of a scrappy player that does all the little things.

NJReds
11-04-2006, 09:00 AM
From what I hear, and I have heard A LOT this off season, there are a lot of leadership issues with this team. Nobody wanted to rock the boat when they were winning but most of the Vets were peeved at the laziness and lack of accountability in the younger players.

Watching the team day-in, day-out this year, this statement doesn't surprise me at all.

savafan
11-04-2006, 11:12 AM
From what I'm reading, I think this hiring is a HUGE sign that the Reds plan on hanging onto Dunn.

Handofdeath
11-04-2006, 11:33 AM
I doubt commanding respect has anything to do with winning. Talented players win baseball games.

Leyland, LaRussa, Bochy, Francona, Scioscia, Robinson, Huggins, Anderson or Torre never won a single game without talented players.

I'd like a manager and coaching staff with the ability to identify the talents of the 25 players on the roster and the wisdom to place them in position to suceed.

I have often wonderd just how many promising careers have been thwarted by stubborn managers or coaches, insistent on transforming young talent to fit the mold of a scrappy player that does all the little things.

And I wonder how many players could have had outstanding careers if they had simply put forth maximum effort and not screwed around on and off the field? And scrappy? I'll take scrappy if it means doing the little things. Like it or not, the little things are what wins ball games. How many times during the past season when the Reds were in a position to take the lead or break a game open did someone do something stupid? How many times did someone misplay a fly ball? How many times did someone fumble a grounder or throw the ball away? How many times were there RISP with less than two outs that the Reds came away with nothing? You want to know why the Reds wind up signing 35 and older players past their prime? The Reds need leadership. Because the Reds don't have anyone on the team who knows what it takes to win.

Cedric
11-04-2006, 11:53 AM

Commanding respect and accountability is part of what you wrote above. You can't put people in the best place to succeed unless they know their role exactly and what they are accountable for.

Cedric
11-04-2006, 11:55 AM
And I wonder how many players could have had outstanding careers if they had simply put forth maximum effort and not screwed around on and off the field? And scrappy? I'll take scrappy if it means doing the little things. Like it or not, the little things are what wins ball games. How many times during the past season when the Reds were in a position to take the lead or break a game open did someone do something stupid? How many times did someone misplay a fly ball? How many times did someone fumble a grounder or throw the ball away? How many times were there RISP with less than two outs that the Reds came away with nothing? You want to know why the Reds wind up signing 35 and older players past their prime? The Reds need leadership. Because the Reds don't have anyone on the team who knows what it takes to win.

I agree. If those players are getting *****ed at for being stubborn and lazy then they are probably the reason their career got ruined. How could a coach telling you to play the game hard ruin your career?

Team Clark
11-04-2006, 12:33 PM
Commanding respect and accountability is part of what you wrote above. You can't put people in the best place to succeed unless they know their role exactly and what they are accountable for.

Thank you for reiterating my point. You can't tell me that Alan Trammell would have taken this years Tigers team to the WS. There's no way.

savafan
11-04-2006, 01:00 PM
Thank you for reiterating my point. You can't tell me that Alan Trammell would have taken this years Tigers team to the WS. There's no way.

I agree with this completely, which is why I laugh at those who say that who the manager for a baseball team is has no effect on W-L record.

Strikes Out Looking
11-04-2006, 02:18 PM
Narron does not command a lot of the respect that a Jim Leyland, Tony LaRussa, Bruce Bochy, Terry Francona, Mike Scioscia or Frank Robinson commands. From what I hear, and I have heard A LOT this off season, there are a lot of leadership issues with this team. Nobody wanted to rock the boat when they were winning but most of the Vets were peeved at the laziness and lack of accountability in the younger players. Narron does his best but his coaching staff doesn't carry the weight that it should. Narron may lay down the law but there is very little enforcement after a day or two. Too many players doing what they want to do and too many veterans letting it happen because they do not care or do not feel like they can get results. It's not romper room but the extra work and "little things" are practically non existent or "staged" to get media off a player's back. How ridiculous is that??! I've heard it all and I hope the rest of the changes truly are going to be made. A lot of contracts will have to be moved but I believe Wayne is capable.

Well I'm glad to know I'm not crazy in thinking about what I saw from Late-August on.

LINEDRIVER
11-04-2006, 03:20 PM

I could not agree more. However, I've found myself thinking that a manager or coach in 2006 is having a tougher time than ever before in attaining and maintaining the respect and accountability from today's younger players. IMO, some of those players are a product of a society that is less respectful and accountable than ever before.

Doesn't the prevailing thinking tend to be along the lines of......Hey coach, what's this situational hitting crap you've been talking about? What's that? And what's this bunting business? BUNT!!!! Who, me??? Hit to rightfield? I hit a HR off this guy to LF 2 years ago. I wanna jack the ball out of the ballpark. Dont we all know that chicks dig the longball? Homers are where its at, that's where the money is. Isnt it all about generating stats to generate dollars on my next contract?

Team Clark and I have had a few phone conversations over the last couple of weeks and I have been telling him that it wont matter who is named the new Reds' hitting coach because only one or two guys will listen to the new coach anyway. IMO, it will take a hitting coach with a MAJOR no-nonsense reputation to get the message absorbed by the players.

I was hoping that 'BigShotBob' would pull a rabbit out of his hat and make an offer that Frank Robinson could not refuse thereby making him the Reds' hitting coach. That is one guy who has a major reputation in this game, a guy who's not gonna take any crap from a lazy and not hustling player, and he'll straighten out anybody who needs a straightening out. Im not expecting that from a Brook Jacoby, a Chris Chambliss, a Butch Wynegar, or just about anybody else, including Jerry Narron.

gm
11-04-2006, 05:01 PM
A lot of contracts will have to be moved but I believe Wayne is capable.

Krivsky certainly verified that ability when he dealt Kearns and Lopez

Team Clark
11-04-2006, 07:50 PM
Krivsky certainly verified that ability when he dealt Kearns and Lopez

Very true... One reason why I am tuned in to this soap opera with great anticipation. It's almost as goos as the famed Dallas episode "who shot J.R."? This off season it could be who will take a shot a the Reds' JR...

Mario-Rijo
11-05-2006, 01:20 AM
Very true... One reason why I am tuned in to this soap opera with great anticipation. It's almost as goos as the famed Dallas episode "who shot J.R."? This off season it could be who will take a shot a the Reds' JR...

If you ask me that's been our biggest problem for quite some time. Certain superstars who don't care enough about winning. Oh sure they want to win, but they don't wanna do what it takes to win. That attitude long ago rubbed off on some of the once younger players. If you ask me that was sorta the case in Seattle for some.

CWRed
11-05-2006, 12:39 PM
I'm just wondering... Is or was Jacoby considered scrappy? Did he play the game the right way? Does he speak about hitting the right way? Gee, I hope so.

Team Clark
11-05-2006, 07:07 PM
I'm just wondering... Is or was Jacoby considered scrappy? Did he play the game the right way? Does he speak about hitting the right way? Gee, I hope so.

Do you think that if he were not that Narron would have hired him. Like minds...

paulrichjr
11-06-2006, 12:35 AM
Do you think that if he were not that Narron would have hired him. Like minds...

I thought you liked this move but this quote leaves me to think that you are not real happy about it.

Team Clark
11-06-2006, 01:21 AM
I thought you liked this move but this quote leaves me to think that you are not real happy about it.

I do like the move. I was making a tongue in cheek comment.

gm
11-06-2006, 01:27 AM

Ah, more tea leaves to decipher. Are you implying that KGJ may not be Krivsky's kind of player? Any rumblings from Senior re: Junior's future plans?

(And who can forget that "come to Jesus" meeting that Dunn was put through after Kearns was dealt. The plan was to get Adam out to the park earlier for extra BP with Junior in the cage...how'd that work out?)