PDA

View Full Version : Liriano to undergo TJ Surgery & possibly miss 2007

Johnny Footstool
11-03-2006, 05:48 PM
According to Rotoworld.com:

Francisco Liriano will undergo Tommy John surgery Monday in California.

Dr. Lewis Yocum, who examined Liriano on Friday, will perform the surgery, which was determined to be the correct course of action after four opinions. Liriano is likely to miss all of 2007, leaving a huge void in Minnesota's rotation. Fortunately, there's a good chance he'll return at full strength in 2008.
Nov. 3 - 3:36 pm et

Dom Heffner
11-03-2006, 06:17 PM
Geesh. Can there be any young pitching studs to stay healthy?

MrCinatit
11-03-2006, 07:43 PM
Wow. Rushing Homer just became an even worse idea.
It stinks, though. The Twins will be a-hurting.

RedsManRick
11-03-2006, 07:44 PM
In my mind, further evidence that pitchers do the most harm to themselves by trying to pitch when they're already hurt.

edabbs44
11-03-2006, 09:58 PM
I think this is further evidence of "you never know". They didn't rush Liriano last year and started the season with him in the bullpen this year. Pitchers hurt their arms when they are young (Liriano) or old (Tom Gordon, Mike Hampton). Sometimes these things just happen, and Liriano could have hurt his arm in Single A ball this season.

M2
11-04-2006, 02:27 AM
It's a shame because Liriano had amazing stuff, but it's yet another reminder of how volatile young arms can be. In fact I'd say the most encouraging this about Homer Bailey to date has been his relative good health. Unlike some, I'm actually glad he's pumping the heater these days instead of trying to snap off so many curves (a particularly bad habit he had when he first arrived in the organization).

GAC
11-04-2006, 01:42 PM
I think this is further evidence of "you never know". They didn't rush Liriano last year and started the season with him in the bullpen this year. Pitchers hurt their arms when they are young (Liriano) or old (Tom Gordon, Mike Hampton). Sometimes these things just happen, and Liriano could have hurt his arm in Single A ball this season.

True. And also managers who try to squeeze every little bit they can out of them during a game unnecessarily.

edabbs44
11-04-2006, 02:46 PM
True. And also managers who try to squeeze every little bit they can out of them during a game unnecessarily.

Agreed. I know this will be on everyone's minds during ST regarding Homer, but as long as they don't have him throwing 120+ pitch games all season, I would have no issues with him starting the season in Cincy. See Baker, Dusty.

cincinnati chili
11-04-2006, 02:58 PM
There's no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Yachtzee
11-05-2006, 10:45 AM

Do or do not. There is no try.

vaticanplum
11-05-2006, 01:59 PM

My "schooler" in baseball drilled this exact phrase into my head with a hammer so hard that I'll never be able to change my mind on it, never be able to form my own opinion. And that's fine with me.

2001MUgrad
11-09-2006, 11:49 AM
Good thing for modern medicine or he'd never pitch again.

Johnny Footstool
11-09-2006, 01:08 PM
If he rehabs correctly and takes it easy in 2008, he'll win the Cy Young award in 2009.

texasdave
11-09-2006, 03:44 PM

But if you have been following the Reds in recent in years you know there is such a thing as a pitching suspect. =)

texasdave
11-09-2006, 03:47 PM

........just ask any Kansas City Royals fan.....

Aronchis
11-09-2006, 06:28 PM
Liriano was always a big medical risk because of his delivery. Lefties don't always come back from TJ easily, ask Brandon Claussen or Bill P.

texasdave
11-10-2006, 09:56 AM
Liriano was always a big medical risk because of his delivery. Lefties don't always come back from TJ easily, ask Brandon Claussen or Bill P.

If that is true there is a touch of irony working here since TJ himself was a lefty.