C Brad Ausmus 3
1B Albert Pujols 1
2B Orlando Hudson 2
SS Omar Vizquel 11
3B Scott Rolen 7
OF Carlos Beltran 1
OF Mike Cameron 3
OF Andruw Jones 9

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061103&content_id=1731077&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Red in Chicago
11-03-2006, 08:19 PM
now we'll never stop hearing about "prince albert's" fielding prowess:rolleyes:

TOBTTReds
11-03-2006, 08:30 PM
Honestly, despite being a card, really wanted to see Yadier Molina get it. Thought he deserved it.

Ravenlord
11-03-2006, 08:42 PM
that's not a bad list if you remove Ausmus and Vizquel.

redsfan30
11-03-2006, 08:50 PM
Pujols deserves it. He has defintely evolved into a very nice fielding 1st baseman.

I was hoping Ryan Freel would get one in the outfield....guess he doesn't have a recognizable name.

MrCinatit
11-03-2006, 09:05 PM
It would have been cool for Freel to get one - but the amount of time might have had something to do with it in the voters' minds as well (54 CF, 42 RF, 13 LF), as well as his 5 errors in right. I am not saying that is right at all - I am just trying to get into the disturbed minds of the voters :D

GOOCH
11-03-2006, 10:38 PM
Ausmus isn't undeserving. Initially I was like "What the .....!?" But Ausmus was tied with Molina for the league lead in defensive win shares (8.3). He also leads Mo-Mo in most of the non-throwing catcher stats (fielding %, PB, errors, etc.). The one who really got jobbed here was Everett. He lead all short stops in the NL with 8.6 winshares from the SS position. The next closest was Furcal at almost 2 wins less (6.8). He laps Vizquel (4.6). Also, Andruw Jones is earning those 2-4 gold gloves on reputation alone that alot of GG'rs get towards the end. Houston may have gotten jobbed out of 2 gold gloves, as Willie Taverez had 6.3 win shares, though Pierre of the Cubs was the true victim at 7 win shares and no gold glove. I guess 2 out of 3 in the outfield isn't too bad (Cameron & Beltran were definately deserving), but Jones at only 5.0 win shares won on reputation. D.GOOCH

Tornon
11-04-2006, 12:23 AM
Have they always just picked the 3 best outfielders? I thought they always picked one from each position..

GOOCH
11-04-2006, 02:00 AM
The Gold Gloves don't differentiate among positions in the outfield. There have always been 3 GG outfield winners. D.GOOCH

M2
11-04-2006, 02:09 AM
All-in-all not a bad list.

I'll just note right here that Mike Cameron's having himself a nice career. Was the Jr. trade really the Curse of the Cambino?

GAC
11-04-2006, 06:23 AM
Omar still racking them up.

Highlifeman21
11-04-2006, 12:16 PM
I said this over in RedsLive, but I really think we should make an effort to go out and get the O Dog, Orlando Hudson. Phillips at SS and Hudson at 2B I think would be one of the best DP combos in the game. Not sure what we'd have to give up to get him, but I would think that would really solve a lot of defensive issues up the middle.

11BarryLarkin11
11-05-2006, 04:05 PM
Omar still racking them up.

No way Omar should have won the GG over Adam Everett. Everett is head and shoulders above everyone else at short.

Highlifeman21
11-05-2006, 04:18 PM
No way Omar should have won the GG over Adam Everett. Everett is head and shoulders above everyone else at short.

You're kidding, right?

bigredmachine1976
11-05-2006, 04:26 PM
I've always had a problem with the outfield gold gloves not being awarded by position. Much the same as the all-star ballot just lists oufield instead of center field etc.. I know it's not exactly the same but it is kind of like just giving all the infield awards to the short stops.

11BarryLarkin11
11-05-2006, 05:36 PM
You're kidding, right?

No, I'm not. Just about every defensive metric I've seen points to Everett as the best.

Innings
Omar: 1281.1
Adam: 1292.1

Fielding Percentage (Errors)
Omar: .993 (4)
Adam: .990 (7)

Zone Rating
Omar: .864
Adam: .905

Range Factor
Omar: 4.18
Adam: 4.74

Double Plays
Omar: 87
Adam: 105

Total Chances
Omar: 599
Adam: 688

Defensive Win Shares
Omar: 4.6
Adam: 8.6

http://www.hardballtimes.com/thtstats/main/?view=winshares&league_filter[]=NL

Baseball Think Factory RS/150
Omar: 12
Adam: 28

"If Ozzie Smith was as good as Adam Everett, he was incredible. Everett is on the verge of saving the most runs on defense over the last 20 years. He’s truly incredible at outpacing his peers."

http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/files/dialed_in/discussion/2006_national_league_gold_gloves_as_i_see_it/

Personally, I like +/- system in John Dewan's Fielding Bible and they also list Adam Everett as the best shortstop in baseball.

Omar is very good on the balls he gets to, but he doesn't have the range he used to have. He just doesn't cover enough ground to win the Gold Glove these days.

Highlifeman21
11-05-2006, 07:31 PM
No, I'm not. Just about every defensive metric I've seen points to Everett as the best.

Innings
Omar: 1281.1
Adam: 1292.1

Fielding Percentage (Errors)
Omar: .993 (4)
Adam: .990 (7)

Zone Rating
Omar: .864
Adam: .905

Range Factor
Omar: 4.18
Adam: 4.74

Double Plays
Omar: 87
Adam: 105

Total Chances
Omar: 599
Adam: 688

Defensive Win Shares
Omar: 4.6
Adam: 8.6

http://www.hardballtimes.com/thtstats/main/?view=winshares&league_filter[]=NL

Baseball Think Factory RS/150
Omar: 12
Adam: 28

"If Ozzie Smith was as good as Adam Everett, he was incredible. Everett is on the verge of saving the most runs on defense over the last 20 years. Hes truly incredible at outpacing his peers."

http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/files/dialed_in/discussion/2006_national_league_gold_gloves_as_i_see_it/

Personally, I like +/- system in John Dewan's Fielding Bible and they also list Adam Everett as the best shortstop in baseball.

Omar is very good on the balls he gets to, but he doesn't have the range he used to have. He just doesn't cover enough ground to win the Gold Glove these days.

I guess I never thought AE had that much range, and I thought OV was the gold standard of SS in this current era.

Nice work, thanks for the info, I sincerely appreciate your research. :beerme:

11BarryLarkin11
11-05-2006, 08:45 PM
I guess I never thought AE had that much range, and I thought OV was the gold standard of SS in this current era.

Nice work, thanks for the info, I sincerely appreciate your research. :beerme:

No worries.

Watch him play when you get the chance, Everett is the real deal. In fact, I think he's the true gold standard for shortstops.

In John Dewan's Fielding Bible, he's ranked first in the +/- system for last three seasons. And, in the 2007 Bill James Handbook, he won the "Fielding Bible Award" for 2006, which basically consisted of the votes of 10 "experts" for the best fielding player at each position in MLB.

They came out as follows:
1b Albert Pujols
2b Orlando Hudson
3b Adrian Beltre
ss Adam Everett
lf Carl Crawford
cf Carlos Beltran
rf Ichiro Suzuki
c Ivan Rodriguez
P Greg Maddux

Oh, here's one more I just found out about. Here's what it says about Everett: "Everett has a below-average bat, but his glove was better than the combined efforts of the next four shortstops in baseball combined. He's the best fielding infielder in the game, about 48 Runs better than the Yankees' Derek Jeter (-22.50 MBFR)."

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060926&content_id=1683041&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

M2
11-06-2006, 11:09 AM
Frankly, Everett needs every ounce of that glove to justify that atrocious bat of his. One of his top career comps is ex-Red Virgil Stallcup, not commonly listed as part of the franchise's great SS tradition.

It's probably a case of him being such a lousy hitter that other players don't give him his due credit in the field. Too bad, because it's all he's got.

Though it could be worse. He could be Angel Berroa.

mth123
11-14-2006, 07:04 AM
I said this over in RedsLive, but I really think we should make an effort to go out and get the O Dog, Orlando Hudson. Phillips at SS and Hudson at 2B I think would be one of the best DP combos in the game. Not sure what we'd have to give up to get him, but I would think that would really solve a lot of defensive issues up the middle.

Been doing a little research this morning and this idea is really growing on me. In 2006 Hudson had a line of .287/.354/.454/.804 with 15 HR. He was 7th in Runs above replacement player for all 2B at 30.2. His Equivalent Average was .271 (for comparison Brandon Phillips was .262. Adam Kennedy was .254, Ronnie Belliard was .257, Chase Utley was .298) and those are just the offensive numbers which is generally considered the weaker part of his game. His defense is top notch (seeing how this is a thread about him winning the gold gove and all).

Arizona is looking to move his arbitration case to make room for Callaspo and with the number of 2B on the Free Agent market he may come cheap from a talent perspective. Teams won't give up much talent to take on money when other options are readily available. The Reds are willing to spend it seems and this would be a wise investment. Hudson will be 29 in 2007 and can't be a free agent for 2 more years I believe (I could be wrong so check if you disagree).

Given AZ desire to free some money, the other options available suppressing the market and the way mediocre relievers are over-valued right now, I think he could be had for one of the Reds mediocre relievers. I don't see teams offering much more when they could just sign Belliard, Kennedy or even Aurilia to play 2B.

Good idea Highlifeman.

Highlifeman21
11-14-2006, 10:41 AM
Been doing a little research this morning and this idea is really growing on me. In 2006 Hudson had a line of .287/.354/.454/.804 with 15 HR. He was 7th in Runs above replacement player for all 2B at 30.2. His Equivalent Average was .271 (for comparison Brandon Phillips was .262. Adam Kennedy was .254, Ronnie Belliard was .257, Chase Utley was .298) and those are just the offensive numbers which is generally considered the weaker part of his game. His defense is top notch (seeing how this is a thread about him winning the gold gove and all).

Arizona is looking to move his arbitration case to make room for Callaspo and with the number of 2B on the Free Agent market he may come cheap from a talent perspective. Teams won't give up much talent to take on money when other options are readily available. The Reds are willing to spend it seems and this would be a wise investment. Hudson will be 29 in 2007 and can't be a free agent for 2 more years I believe (I could be wrong so check if you disagree).

Given AZ desire to free some money, the other options available suppressing the market and the way mediocre relievers are over-valued right now, I think he could be had for one of the Reds mediocre relievers. I don't see teams offering much more when they could just sign Belliard, Kennedy or even Aurilia to play 2B.

Good idea Highlifeman.

I would rather see us spend some organizational resources and ship a player or three to AZ for Hudson than waste money by going after an Adam Kennedy or Ronnie Belliard. Hudson could put up a .750 OPS for the rest of his career, and his defense alone would trump most 2B. I understand Phillips is probably slated to get that everyday job again in 2007, but Krivsky's actually been quoted as acknowledging that Phillips has seen some extensive action at SS while in both the Montreal and Cleveland farm systems.

If Krivsky's preaching to the defensive choir, then he needs to go out and deliver Orlando Hudson to Reds fans.