PDA

View Full Version : Reds have contacted Luis Gonzalez

Willy
11-03-2006, 10:48 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/features/rumors

According to ESPN the Reds are one of 9 teams that have contacted the former Arizona leftfielder.

Interesting, wonder if they think he could play right?

Not sure how this could help the defense.

Maybe it means they are shopping Dunn.

Slyder
11-03-2006, 10:58 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/features/rumors

According to ESPN the Reds are one of 9 teams that have contacted the former Arizona leftfielder.

Interesting, wonder if they think he could play right?

Not sure how this could help the defense.

Maybe it means they are shopping Dunn.

If they were shopping Dunn why bring in a guy as hitting coach who had been with Dunn in the minors?

BUTLER REDSFAN
11-03-2006, 11:03 PM
what is this teams fascination with signing 38-40 year old players...

Slyder
11-03-2006, 11:46 PM

This rumor though borders on the insane like the rumors that Wynegard was the favorite to be the new batting coach. We all see how that turned out. Gonzalez doesnt fit into current needs or future needs.

Honestly I dont see him playing anywhere but Arizona.

One OF thats sitting out there I would love to see us "take a risk on" is a former Red Jose Guillen. Put him in RF and watch the fun and fireworks.

Jpup
11-04-2006, 04:59 AM
This rumor though borders on the insane like the rumors that Wynegard was the favorite to be the new batting coach. We all see how that turned out. Gonzalez doesnt fit into current needs or future needs.

Honestly I dont see him playing anywhere but Arizona.

One OF thats sitting out there I would love to see us "take a risk on" is a former Red Jose Guillen. Put him in RF and watch the fun and fireworks.

Gonzo is not going back to Arizona. No way.

NJReds
11-04-2006, 09:02 AM
This rumor though borders on the insane like the rumors that Wynegard was the favorite to be the new batting coach. We all see how that turned out.

There were never rumors that Wynegar was the favorite for the hitting coach position...just that the Reds talked to him. They probably talked to a lot of guys.

Degenerate39
11-04-2006, 09:21 AM
Why do we need Luis Gonzalez? He's not going to be around the bigs much longer due to his age. Didn't they learn their listen from Todd Hollandsworth

Mario-Rijo
11-05-2006, 12:55 AM
I think if you are going after Luis it's because you believe the likelihood of re-signing Aurilia is slim and you want that veteran presence but you also really need someone who is a good situational hitter and drives in runs w/ risp! I don't know if his stats bare out these possibilities but his reputation is one of whom you can depend on in that realm. Couple that with the need for a COF if you are going to either trade Jr or Dunn or keep them both right where they are.

Redsfan08
11-05-2006, 02:04 AM

I'd take him

Jpup
11-05-2006, 03:19 AM
I think if you are going after Luis it's because you believe the likelihood of re-signing Aurilia is slim and you want that veteran presence but you also really need someone who is a good situational hitter and drives in runs w/ risp! I don't know if his stats bare out these possibilities but his reputation is one of whom you can depend on in that realm. Couple that with the need for a COF if you are going to either trade Jr or Dunn or keep them both right where they are.

They have plenty of old guys.

camisadelgolf
11-05-2006, 04:44 AM
Gonzo played 153 games and had 52 doubles last year. I think those are both great reasons to be interested in his services, no matter how old he was last year.

And the Reds have plenty of old guys? Okay, there's Cormier, Griffey, and Hatteberg. I'll even give you Juan Castro. But who else on the team is old? 32-year-old Jason LaRue? 31-year-old Eric Milton?

And what lesson can be learned from giving Hollandsworth 68 at-bats that could be applied to signing Luis Gonzalez?

It seems like some of your minds are more closed than a bank at 9:00 PM when Christmas falls on a Saturday.

Jpup
11-05-2006, 05:12 AM
Gonzo played 153 games and had 52 doubles last year. I think those are both great reasons to be interested in his services, no matter how old he was last year.

And the Reds have plenty of old guys? Okay, there's Cormier, Griffey, and Hatteberg. I'll even give you Juan Castro. But who else on the team is old? 32-year-old Jason LaRue? 31-year-old Eric Milton?

And what lesson can be learned from giving Hollandsworth 68 at-bats that could be applied to signing Luis Gonzalez?

It seems like some of your minds are more closed than a bank at 9:00 PM when Christmas falls on a Saturday.

too much money, too darn old. That should be a song.

mth123
11-05-2006, 07:56 AM

I agree if the price is right and the contract is short. (Like $3 Million for 1 year). 1B is the area in need of a short term upgrade IMO. I play him there. If the Reds are out of the race, trade him for a prospect. An old guy at 1B who hits better than Hat is exactly what is needed there. Upgrades the 2007 line-up and bench and doesn't block anyone long-term. The fact that he can play the OF if needed is a bonus.

Worse things could happen than having more power at 1B with a decent LH Hitter on the bench (both on affordable 1 year deals), both possibly bringing in organizational depth in future trades with a high ceiling prospect almost ready to take over.

What's the downside again?

Highlifeman21
11-05-2006, 08:53 AM

1. Veteran leadership
2. Knows how to play the game the right way
3. Scrappy

Did I miss a token Narron reason?

Will M
11-05-2006, 10:03 AM
again :)

The Reds were weak in the depth department last year. Everyone except Aurillia hit the wall and it cost us a playoff spot. Solid vets on cheap 1 year deals that add to team depth is great.

The only thing wrong with Gonzo is that he hits lefty just like Hatteberg.

- Will

P.S. mth - please send your resume to the Reds.

Redsnake
11-06-2006, 08:10 AM
This one was one of "my 5 off season W.Krivsky moves". He is an ideal veteran player for a small market team. Might be lighting in a bottle like the Reds got last year in Hatteberg, A's got in Frank Thomas, etc.

Heath
11-06-2006, 10:59 AM
1. Veteran leadership
2. Knows how to play the game the right way
3. Scrappy

Did I miss a token Narron reason?

He Does The Little Things To Win

Btw - highlifeman - the above needs to have the first letter in each word capitalized for the full effect. It's like a title of a book. Observe.

1. Veteran Leadership (or Veteran Prescense)
2. Knows How To Play The Game The Right Way
3. Scrappy

camisadelgolf
11-06-2006, 11:45 AM
I'd also like to add that you could handle him DanO style: Sign him to a one-year contract and trade him at the deadline for a prospect or two.

M2
11-06-2006, 12:57 PM
I feel comfortable saying this: If the Reds sign Gonzalez, at least one of Adam Dunn or Ken Griffey Jr. won't be back.

Though I have a certain morbid curiosity about what would happen if you played those three across the OF on a regular basis.

BigRed
11-06-2006, 06:54 PM
I am sure that Gonzalez would be very interested in coming here. I think that I heard somewhere in the past that he was a big Reds fan growing up. I think Gonzalez is a good pickup for the right price. I really don't think you will see Dunn back here next year. Gonzalez very likely could be our left fielder. Gonzalez is the kind of player that Krivsky talks about. Makes contact, drives in runs, above average outfielder.

jmac
11-06-2006, 07:07 PM
if griff or dunn gets traded, gonzo would be a decent one yr filler.
of course i would like to know wayne k's other options first though.

Superdude
11-06-2006, 07:17 PM
How much will it cost to sign him? He's getting old, but maybe GABP will help a couple of those 52 doubles cross the fence. Is Arizona a homer park?

Sabo Fan
11-06-2006, 07:26 PM
Though I have a certain morbid curiosity about what would happen if you played those three across the OF on a regular basis.

I know what wouldn't happen: anything remotely resembling defense.

What I would think about is getting Gonzalez some time at first should this happen. As good as Hatteberg was last year, you'd be hard pressed to find many people who think he can repeat it, I sure don't. Gonzalez gives you a pretty decent placeholder at first until Votto is ready if he's willing to move there. Certainly something to look into.

mth123
11-06-2006, 07:38 PM
I feel comfortable saying this: If the Reds sign Gonzalez, at least one of Adam Dunn or Ken Griffey Jr. won't be back.

I only want him if he plays 1B. I want no part of that OF. Upgrading 1B takes the pressure off elsewhere IMO.

wheels
11-06-2006, 10:12 PM
This a very puzzling tidbit indeed.

I guarantee you that moving to first has not been discussed.

It's just strange.

mth123
11-07-2006, 06:04 AM
This a very puzzling tidbit indeed.

I guarantee you that moving to first has not been discussed.

It's just strange.

I think you're right that the Reds have no intention of replacing Hat. I'm just saying signing a guy short term for the line-up until Votto is ready is something this team needs right now and that Gonzalez would actually be a good fit.

If the plan is trade Dunn and give his spot to Gonzo, then the offense is finished IMO (unless Miguel Tejada or some middle of the order player at an open spot comes in return). If the plan is leave Griffey in CF with Dunn and Gonzo in the corners, then the pitching staff is finished no matter who they acquire and all talk of improving defense is bull.

Those bashing the Reds interest in Gonzo are correct. There are only two ways it wouldn't be awful. He plays 1B (good solution IMO) or Griffey is traded and Gonzo is stopgap in RF until Bruce is ready (not great but it avoids complete disaster and probably saves money).

Mario-Rijo
11-07-2006, 05:51 PM
Just a follow-up to Luis it seems he has other suitors. The Cardinals were also listed as a possibility.

Indians, Gonzo do lunch
Nov 4 - The Cleveland Plain-Dealer reported that Indians GM Mark Shapiro had lunch Friday with Gonzalez and his agent, Gregg Clifton, in Phoenix.
"I think it was very positive," said Clifton. "Luis was impressed with Mark, and I think Mark was impressed with Luis."

The Indians are looking for a veteran hitter who can either play a corner outfield position or first base.

Other teams that have expressed an interest in Gonzalez are Baltimore, Texas, Cincinnati and San Francisco.

Gonzalez, 39, finished second in the National League last season with a career-high 52 doubles.

wheels
11-07-2006, 07:06 PM
Well, there's a first base reference in that latest blurb.

Still doesn't mean that's what Krivsky's got in mind.

NatiRedGals
11-12-2006, 11:45 AM
Luis Gonzalez To Sign With Cardinals?

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch is reporting that Luis Gonzalez is "leaning heavily towards signing a one-year deal with the Cardinals shortly after the market opens" (scroll to the bottom).

If true, the Cardinals' outfield would be set: Gonzalez in left, Jim Edmonds in center, and Juan Encarnacion in right. Chris Duncan could be expendable, and the only other chance to improve the offense would be second base.

Posted on November 11, 2006 at 11:48 AM in Luis Gonzalez, St. Louis Cardinals | Permalink | Comments (10) | TrackBack (0)

Puffy
11-12-2006, 11:58 AM
Luis Gonzalez To Sign With Cardinals?

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch is reporting that Luis Gonzalez is "leaning heavily towards signing a one-year deal with the Cardinals shortly after the market opens" (scroll to the bottom).

If true, the Cardinals' outfield would be set: Gonzalez in left, Jim Edmonds in center, and Juan Encarnacion in right. Chris Duncan could be expendable, and the only other chance to improve the offense would be second base.

Posted on November 11, 2006 at 11:48 AM in Luis Gonzalez, St. Louis Cardinals | Permalink | Comments (10) | TrackBack (0)

That would be a nice outfield. In the year 2001.