PDA

View Full Version : Votto is the best 1B prospect in baseball

OnBaseMachine
11-05-2006, 01:20 AM
According to projectprospect.com:

1. Joey Votto, CIN: Born in Toronto, Votto, 23, was one of only five 20/20 men in the minor leagues in 2006. His 22 home runs and 24 stolen bases came as he maintained a .955 OPS at Double-A Chattanooga. The second round draft pick from 2002 was successful in 77.42% of his stolen base attempts, so he could keep getting the green light when he is promoted to the big leagues. A 6-foot-3, 220-pound lefty, Votto also tied for the minor league lead in doubles with 46 and tied for third in extra-base-hits with 70.

http://www.projectprospect.com/top-5-1b06/

They have Homer Bailey and Jay Bruce as the 6th and 7th best prospects in baseball.

edabbs44
11-05-2006, 01:54 AM
Wow...I'm shocked that he's above Loney.

TOBTTReds
11-05-2006, 02:55 AM
He's having a great start in Winter Ball. His line as of yesterday .303/.477/.485

Loney is not so hot: .250/.340/.450

Redsfan08
11-05-2006, 03:03 AM
maybe he'll play this year but then what do we do with Hatteberg I like Hatteberg

pahster
11-05-2006, 10:43 AM
maybe he'll play this year but then what do we do with Hatteberg I like Hatteberg

He'll sit on the bench where he'll likely be an asset.

RedLegSuperStar
11-05-2006, 11:05 AM
I think Votto is up here at the begining of the year. I don't think the Reds would have a better bat off the bench then him as of now.

I thought that was the whole reason Casey was dealt was to open the door for Votto. Then the team signed Hatteberg and he was everything you could ask for and then some. Which made the signing a no brainer. I just kind of wish Hatte didn't have such a great year so Votto could get more of an oppertunity in '06. None the less Votto is someone the Reds should build around and once Bruce is ready and Homer is what we all think he already is.. this team could be tough.

edabbs44
11-05-2006, 12:20 PM
I think Votto is up here at the begining of the year. I don't think the Reds would have a better bat off the bench then him as of now.

I thought that was the whole reason Casey was dealt was to open the door for Votto. Then the team signed Hatteberg and he was everything you could ask for and then some. Which made the signing a no brainer. I just kind of wish Hatte didn't have such a great year so Votto could get more of an oppertunity in '06. None the less Votto is someone the Reds should build around and once Bruce is ready and Homer is what we all think he already is.. this team could be tough.

Let's not get crazy, saying Hatte had "such a great year." For the money...he was a good signing for the first half of the season. But hitting .289/.389/.436 with 62 R, 13 HR and 52 RBI in 456 ABs doesn't really constitute a great year. Especially when you tank down the stretch.

August: .240/.336/.375
Sept/Oct: .206/.349/.235

That's right...a .235 SLG in the last month of the season.

Give Votto his ABs in 2007 and he will at least meet those numbers. There was no need to re-sign Hatteberg.

Now if they are going to get some good pitching this off-season, then I would back the re-signing of Hatteberg. But w/o more pitching, this team is a still a ways off and have no reason to keep around an "adequate" 1B with someone else waiting in the wings. I realize that they were close to the postseason this year, but I think realistically we cannot expect the playoffs next year with the current team intact. If they are going to continue the Cincy way of waiting for every decent pitcher to sign and then go after the scraps, then they should start with Votto with the big club.

adamf
11-05-2006, 03:19 PM
Wow...I'm shocked that he's above Loney.

Shocked? You don't think the two are in the same league?

fearofpopvol1
11-05-2006, 04:07 PM
Give Votto his ABs in 2007 and he will at least meet those numbers.

That's a bit bold of a statement considering how Votto hasn't even had an at bat at AAA. I'm sure he'll be fine and he's going to be a great player, but AAA is different than AA and the majors are surely much different than AA.

Re-signing Hatte was very smart because he was cheap. You start Hatte out there at the beginning of the season and if Votto can prove he's ready, bring up Votto and trade Hatte to another contender mid-season.

edabbs44
11-08-2006, 03:10 PM
Shocked? You don't think the two are in the same league?

No...but I think having a breakout season in AA doesn't equate to someone hitting .370 in AAA.

edabbs44
11-08-2006, 03:13 PM
That's a bit bold of a statement considering how Votto hasn't even had an at bat at AAA. I'm sure he'll be fine and he's going to be a great player, but AAA is different than AA and the majors are surely much different than AA.

Re-signing Hatte was very smart because he was cheap. You start Hatte out there at the beginning of the season and if Votto can prove he's ready, bring up Votto and trade Hatte to another contender mid-season.

Read the rest of my post. If this team commits to seriosuly contending this season (i.e., FA signings), then he should have been resigned. But if they are headed into the season with the current squad intact for the most part, then I'd rather see Votto with the big club. I don't think Hatteberg was a great as everyone thought this season and I don't see him as being worth much at next year's deadline.