PDA

View Full Version : Ron Washington named Rangers' manager

vaticanplum
11-06-2006, 01:25 AM
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061105&content_id=1733731&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Thoughts?

MartyFan
11-06-2006, 01:35 AM
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061105&content_id=1733731&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Thoughts?

SUPER DUPER!

Team Clark
11-06-2006, 02:19 AM
Well deserved. Good luck Ron. The Reds DESPERATELY need a coach like Ron Washington.

Jpup
11-06-2006, 03:10 AM
Well deserved. Good luck Ron. The Reds DESPERATELY need a coach like Ron Washington.

they got Narron, what else do they need?;)

Redsnake
11-06-2006, 09:11 AM
Hope he does well.

Krusty
11-06-2006, 09:29 AM
He is better than the former dictator named Buck Shawalter.

M2
11-06-2006, 10:53 AM
Great hire. Washington's supposedly one of the best instructors/motivators in the game.

Heath
11-06-2006, 11:56 AM
He is better than the former dictator named Buck Shawalter.

Fidel ain't got nothing on ol' Bucky.

Guess the Krukie and Bucky Show's gonna be at Baseball Tonight sometime soon. That's entertainment right there.

NJReds
11-06-2006, 12:00 PM
Great hire. Washington's supposedly one of the best instructors/motivators in the game.

I wonder why Beane didn't give him a shot?

Heath
11-06-2006, 01:25 PM
I wonder why Beane didn't give him a shot?

I have no inside info on the working Oakland administration - but I see the managers that Beane hires, and my guess (and it's a guess) that Beane likes to dictate what a manager does. My guess that Ron Washington would like some say in matters and probably would be too much like Beane to get along with him.

Chip R
11-06-2006, 01:35 PM
I have no inside info on the working Oakland administration - but I see the managers that Beane hires, and my guess (and it's a guess) that Beane likes to dictate what a manager does. My guess that Ron Washington would like some say in matters and probably would be too much like Beane to get along with him.

I haven't read Moneyball for a while but I seem to recall a passage in there when he was talking with Ray Durham about the running game and they both seemed to be in agreement that the A's should run more often.

M2
11-06-2006, 01:48 PM
I haven't read Moneyball for a while but I seem to recall a passage in there when he was talking with Ray Durham about the running game and they both seemed to be in agreement that the A's should run more often.

That's my favorite passage in the book. What I really like about Washington's part in it is his clearly aggressive attitude about the game. You dont try to steal a base, you go out and "get" the base. He didn't view failure as an option.

My take is that's how good/great players think.

RANDY IN INDY
11-06-2006, 01:56 PM
He didn't view failure as an option. My take is that's how good/great players think.

Exactly why I don't think a lot of strikeouts are acceptable for a hitter, or a lot of bases on balls are acceptable for a pitcher.

M2
11-06-2006, 02:01 PM
Exactly why I don't think a lot of strikeouts are acceptable for a hitter, or a lot of bases on balls are acceptable for a pitcher.

Whiffs didn't seem to cause a problem for Mike Schmidt or Reggie Jackson or Mickey Mantle. I worry a lot more about a hitter trying not to strike out than a hitter who fans while trying to do some serious damage.

RANDY IN INDY
11-06-2006, 02:10 PM
The Schmidts, Mantles, and Reggie Jackson's of the world are the exceptions and not the rule. Granted, some times you just have to tip your cap to the pitcher. The good ones may strike out, but they aren't ever happy about it. Just my opinion and only that.

M2
11-06-2006, 02:18 PM
The Schmidts, Mantles, and Reggie Jackson's of the world are the exceptions and not the rule. Granted, some times you just have to tip your cap to the pitcher. The good ones may strike out, but they aren't ever happy about it. Just my opinion and only that.

No one ever said they should be happy about it. Personally, I subscribed to the Paul O'Neil school of hating all outs equally. Strikeout, popout, groundout, flyout, hate 'em all.

Good players are always an exception. Otherwise we wouldn't recognize them as being good. Yet good contact hitters are actually more of an exception than good hitters with high strikeout totals in modern baseball (and by modern I mean over the last 50 years).

Unassisted
11-09-2006, 12:43 PM
This hire could be the key to a Texas turnaround.

Barry Zito has contacted the new Rangers' skipper (http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061108&content_id=1737082&vkey=news_tex&fext=.jsp&c_id=tex) about his interest in moving there to play for him.

Handofdeath
11-09-2006, 01:52 PM
This hire could be the key to a Texas turnaround.

Barry Zito has contacted the new Rangers' skipper (http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061108&content_id=1737082&vkey=news_tex&fext=.jsp&c_id=tex) about his interest in moving there to play for him.

The Rangers need more than just Zito. Rangers pitching has been lousy for years. The park they play in doesn't help.