PDA

View Full Version : Reds offer for Bonderman; interested in Lieber + more

redsandrails
11-08-2006, 12:51 PM
Rumors from:http://feeds.feedburner.com/rumors

According to gothambaseball.com the Reds offered Adam Dunn, Jason LaRue and Brandon Phillips for Jeremy Bonderman. The Tigers rejected... If this is true it shows how little value Dunn has (but throwing in LaRue who has negative value also distorts things). Still, Phillips you'd think would be not a hot commodity but at least decent. If this rumor is legit it shows that Wayne might be shopping Phillips (selling high). I guess Freel could move to 2B as a result or someone like Marcus Giles. But still you'd think he'd slide Phillips over to SS.

Reds also again mentioned as interested in Giles.. resigning Weathers too (with competition from Phi) was mentioned. The Luis Gonzalez rumor was again confirmed as well.

Another interesting topic... Jon Lieber. Mentioned the Reds were interested at the deadline and the same suitors likely. What do y'all think of him? He had a nice second half. Had one really good year 2000, and has been a solid #3 starter (lefty too) since then. At times he has showed top of the rotation potential at least. Has a decent sized contract.... Phillies need a catcher. Would you trade Ross for Lieber if a good portion of the salary difference was paid or if they took LaRue also?

Red Leader
11-08-2006, 01:03 PM
I'd trade Ross for Lieber. Maybe even if a lot of the salary wasn't picked up. I'd much rather give them LaRue though, to offset the salaries a bit more.

Lieber is a righty, FWIW.

kbrake
11-08-2006, 01:05 PM
I am still not buying that package for bonderman.

corkedbat
11-08-2006, 01:10 PM
I wouldn't mind seeingthem offer Weathers arbitration and then letting the Phils sign him. Won't happen though.

KronoRed
11-08-2006, 01:17 PM
That offer for Bonderman doesn't make much sense.

rdiersin
11-08-2006, 01:32 PM
That offer for Bonderman doesn't make much sense.

Maybe it was proposed by this guy.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/08/0330chewbacca.jpg

Danny Serafini
11-08-2006, 01:50 PM
If that trade offer is true it shows that 1) the Reds are idiots for making that offer and 2) the Tigers are bigger idiots for rejecting it. Which is why I don't buy that rumor.

redsmetz
11-08-2006, 01:51 PM
I think Westofyou put it best over on the same threadline on Reds Live!

Seriously, the rumor is crap, the Reds wouldn't trade 3 starters straight up for a guy who has faced over 3000 batters in his short life. It's a joke rumor from a web site 95% of the people on RZ never heard of before.

edabbs44
11-08-2006, 02:08 PM
I would deal LaRue and Dunn for Bonderman...throwing BP into the process is an issue.

Wheelhouse
11-08-2006, 02:13 PM

Here is the source of the rumor:

http://www.gothambaseball.com/news/1162844521.php

Seems like a fairly well produced and extensive site. I'm not affirming the rumor is true--but dismissal on the basis of the site might be hasty.

westofyou
11-08-2006, 02:15 PM
If that trade offer is true it shows that 1) the Reds are idiots for making that offer and 2) the Tigers are bigger idiots for rejecting it. Which is why I don't buy that rumor.

Polanco and IRod are getting 15 million from the Tigers next year, Phillips and LaRue are redundent to their team makeup and LaRue is a salary they certainly don't want to pay... and that doesn't even touch the fact that Vance Wilson the BU catcher was inked to an extension for 2 years in early August.

I read better rumors with more truth in them on bathroom walls.

osuceltic
11-08-2006, 02:18 PM

That's fine, only the Reds wouldn't be trading three starters. LaRue isn't a starter and carries negative value. The Reds would be thrilled just to be rid of him.

I still would bet there would be something else coming back if it is Dunn and Phillips, but maybe not. Bonderman is a horse who would give the Reds an impressive front three of the rotation. Guys like Bonderman don't hit the market often, and the bidding will drive up the price.