PDA

View Full Version : Barfield to Indians

HotCorner
11-08-2006, 03:48 PM
Per ESPN.com

http://x.go.com/cgi/x.pl?goto=http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2654211&name=FPT-2654211-110815&srvc=sz

I'm surprised SD gave up on him so soon.

redsandrails
11-08-2006, 04:22 PM
Reds should been all over him... now it also looks Giles to SD is imminent regardless (they had originally planned at moving him to 3B). We could have had a Barfield/Phillips 2B/SS, two players who are similar molds. Now the Giles bidding war is going to be a lot tougher as well. I bet we could have snagged Barfield without having to give up a Cueto or Wood... would take some talent though.

BuckeyeRedleg
11-08-2006, 04:24 PM
Great trade for the Tribe.

If I to pick one team next year to make the playoffs, that didn't make it in 2006, I would go with the Tribe. They were very unlucky in 2006 and with the recent Liriano news and this deal, it's looking better and better.

Last week, before the Liriano news, I had a buddy in Vegas check all the sportbooks out there for the best WS odds in 2007. The best he could find for the Tribe was 40-1 at the Mirage and I had him lay $50 on them. I figure $50 was a pretty decent investment for a team I feel is sure to make the playoffs in 2007. The Mirage also had the Brewers at 75-1, so I had him put $25 on the Brew Crew.

I never thought I'd say this, but Go Tribe!

remdog
11-08-2006, 04:30 PM
Geez, I would have loved to have had the Reds to make that deal, especially since Barfield went relatively cheap.

"The Indians didn't have an up-and-coming second baseman in their minor-league system and would have been faced with finding one among a weak free-agent class."

Substitute the Reds for Indians in that statement and it remains true.

Rem

Puffy
11-08-2006, 04:33 PM
Good trade for the Indians.

Joseph
11-08-2006, 04:52 PM
I like it. Young, inexpensive, solid potential.

Sounds like Brandon Phillips without the smile.

RedsManRick
11-08-2006, 06:29 PM
Reds should been all over him... now it also looks Giles to SD is imminent regardless (they had originally planned at moving him to 3B). We could have had a Barfield/Phillips 2B/SS, two players who are similar molds. Now the Giles bidding war is going to be a lot tougher as well. I bet we could have snagged Barfield without having to give up a Cueto or Wood... would take some talent though.

The Pads still needed both a 2b/3b. Unless we had a 2b/3b to give, it wouldn't have made sense for them. They got a 3B and opened up 2B for Giles.

Doc. Scott
11-08-2006, 10:12 PM
Kouzmanoff hit quite a bit this season, but I think he was just having the season of his life. He's 25 already and isn't considered a particularly projectable or athletic player (he was working out at 1B in the fall league). The guy began the year in Double-A. Andrew Brown, also 25, had some decent numbers in AAA, but the Indians have plenty of young relievers.

Would I have done this deal if I were Cleveland? Absolutely. Giving up, say, Matt Belisle and Chris Denorfia for a 23-year-old 2B like Barfield is a trade you make nine times out of ten.

And I can't imagine San Diego doing this deal if Marcus Giles weren't coming west. Unless Josh had some sort of major attitude problem/headcase issues.

Cedric
11-09-2006, 08:08 AM
I would have done the deal if I was Cleveland. That said I'm still not 100% sold on Barfield. I don't know if he's ever going to walk enough.

Topcat
11-10-2006, 12:33 AM
I would have done the deal if I was Cleveland. That said I'm still not 100% sold on Barfield. I don't know if he's ever going to walk enough.

Might be a minor point but did he not get into a fight with his dad Jesse? or was that the younger kid who is a super prep prospect?:confused:

cincinnati chili
11-10-2006, 07:39 AM

I agree that this trade can go either way. Kouzamanoff is older for a prospect, but he was really, really killing the ball last year. We're talking a guy here who could win battling titles, on base titles, and hit 40+ doubles.

Those of you making predictions are really going out on a limb.

Kouz's minor league statline (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/K/Kevin-Kouzmanoff.shtml#more)

IIRC, he also had a pretty freakish injury that delayed his ascent through the minors, which might justify his coming to the majors at 25.

westofyou
11-10-2006, 10:01 AM
Might be a minor point but did he not get into a fight with his dad Jesse? or was that the younger kid who is a super prep prospect?:confused:

Younger one, 18 year old.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2556053

Bill
11-13-2006, 10:30 PM
Good deal in that Cleveland needed a 2B and also needed to thin out some numbers for the rule 5 draft however I think Kouz is the real deal. The guy can hit, no doubts. The BP deal might prove even costlier down the road.