PDA

View Full Version : Friday Night Lights

BuckeyeRed27
11-08-2006, 10:50 PM
I didn't see a thread about this show so sorry if I missed it, but does anybody else watch this show?

I love it. I think it is very well done and the acting is great. Next to Heroes and Lost its my favorite show.

vaticanplum
11-08-2006, 10:52 PM
I love Kyle Chandler. Never saw Early Edition, but I will forever remember him as the Indians minor leaguer in Homefront, at which time I was of course deeply in love with him.

Very good actor, and he NEVER AGES. Homefront was a good 17 years ago and he looks exactly the same.

vaticanplum
11-08-2006, 11:13 PM
gah!!!

(No more derailing the thread, I promise.)

Redsland
11-09-2006, 10:28 AM
I watch. I think it's a pretty good show.

The pilot was simply a re-telling of "Hoosiers" with the appropriate tweaks, but since then things have picked up. And I agree that the acting is very good.

Last I heard, the ratings wouldn't even get a "12 men on the field" flag, though.

Sweetstop
11-09-2006, 10:42 AM
It's a very well made show. Quality all around. Alas, it doesn't follow the New Rule, i.e. in order to succeed, a new show must follow the CSI, Law & Order, Lost, SOB protagonist (ala Greg House) or reality-show model.

I heard a reviewer say that absolutely NO one was watching it. Made me feel a bit strange. She also noted that for many people it was too much like their real life. It seems to me that could play either way and wasn't really a valid reason for why people weren't watching it. I'll watch till it disappears.

Roy Tucker
11-09-2006, 10:49 AM
I've been watching it too. I like it a lot.

Like Sweetstop said, its not a formulaic show and the production, story line, mood, and pacing takes a little getting used to. The filming is very, uh, atmospheric.

This show and House are the Tuesday shows I watch.

Unassisted
11-09-2006, 12:02 PM
I heard a reviewer say that absolutely NO one was watching it. Made me feel a bit strange. She also noted that for many people it was too much like their real life. It seems to me that could play either way and wasn't really a valid reason for why people weren't watching it. I'll watch till it disappears.

What I've heard is that NBC expected the show to attract more younger viewers than older viewers and the result was just the opposite. That's why it was tested for a week in the timeslot after "Heroes," which has a younger audience, to see if more young folks could be lured in to watch it.

I think the show would have been cancelled already if it were performing identically on CBS, because the ratings expectations are higher there. NBC is desperate for a hit, so they can afford to be more patient.

On another board I've been seeing lots of complaints about the shaky-cam technique. Apparently, the older folks who are watching want their cameras nice and steady. :lol:

LoganBuck
11-09-2006, 01:18 PM
I think they really lost a chance to do something special with the Voodoo character. Instead they played him as an angry selfish insolant kid, who was a villian of sorts, just like the militant black guy stereo type from MTV's The Real World. They really missed the boat.

I have tried to watch the show, and generally like the premise, but I could do without the love triangle which I feel is the worst part of the show, and it could focus more on the individual players, and coaches.

Sweetstop
11-09-2006, 02:32 PM
What I've heard is that NBC expected the show to attract more younger viewers than older viewers and the result was just the opposite. That's why it was tested for a week in the timeslot after "Heroes," which has a younger audience, to see if more young folks could be lured in to watch it.

I think the show would have been cancelled already if it were performing identically on CBS, because the ratings expectations are higher there. NBC is desperate for a hit, so they can afford to be more patient.

On another board I've been seeing lots of complaints about the shaky-cam technique. Apparently, the older folks who are watching want their cameras nice and steady. :lol:

I'm one of the older folks I think. 58. :) That shaky stuff doesn't bother me.

I do agree about the love triangle being the worst part of the show...a bit O.C.ish.

ghettochild
11-09-2006, 07:10 PM
i think FNL, the office, and MNIE are the best that NBC has to offer, but i really enjoy FNL cause i can relate to it.

Redsland
11-22-2006, 10:29 AM
FYI, it got picked up for a whole season.

BuckeyeRed27
11-22-2006, 11:15 AM
Thats good news. Thanks for the info.

Yachtzee
11-22-2006, 12:29 PM
i think FNL, the office, and MNIE are the best that NBC has to offer, but i really enjoy FNL cause i can relate to it.

I agree and I would add Heroes to the list.

Doc. Scott
11-22-2006, 01:33 PM
So now I can enjoy Minka Kelly's extreme hotness through the springtime, it seems. Like Winnie Cooper times ten.

BoydsOfSummer
11-22-2006, 04:09 PM
Minka=Lila? That girlie that plays Lila is special kinda hot.

Doc. Scott
11-22-2006, 04:18 PM
Minka=Lila? That girlie that plays Lila is special kinda hot.

Yessir. Of course, she's in her mid-twenties playing a 17-year-old, but I think I can excuse that. In David Wooderson's (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106677/) fantasy world that's what's really happening anyway.