PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Detriot News ideas on Bonderman, Teixeira and more

Redsnake
11-09-2006, 08:32 AM
The Rangers are reportedly willing to trade Mark Teixeira, who I think is still cheap. This is one player that will be an all-star for years. I don't know if the Reds have enough to offer the Rangers, but as a fan I would love too have him. I wonder if this could net Tex.

Reds get: Teixeira

Rangers get: Dunn, Votto and mid-level pitching prospect

Dunn could finally go back home and DH (his natural position). Votto is major league ready. Throw in a prospect and I can't see the Rangers passing on this deal. Unless of course they are looking for a major league ready #1/2 pitcher, then Reds have no shot.

Just an idea. The Reds need pitching, but I like too dream.

http://detroitnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061106/SPORTS08/611060360/1004/SPORTS

Krusty
11-09-2006, 08:43 AM
Better yet:

Reds deal Dunn, Coffey and a prospect to Detroit for Bonderman and Rodney.

Reds deal LaRue and Milton to Philadelphia for OF Pat Burrell. (No-trade clause could be sticking point).

Reds get an upgrade in the rotation with Bonderman instead of Milton.

Reds get a potential closer in Rodney at the expense of a setup man (who doesn't have a closer mentality) in Coffey.

Reds replace some of Dunn's lost production with Burrell, who the Phillies want to desperately unload.

Add to that Krivsky signing Adam Kennedy to play second base; RHP Justin Speier as a setup man and possible closer; and OF Trot Nixon to platoon in RF with either Denorifa or Freel.

dabvu2498
11-09-2006, 08:50 AM
Teixeira is a free agent after this season and a Scott Boras client. No thanks.

I wouldn't even like this deal if the above wasn't true.

schroomytunes
11-09-2006, 09:01 AM
Well Krusty some of your ideas I think are biased towards the Reds favor, I think this is what were looking at instead regarding your deals:

Reds-Tigers:
Reds trade Adam Dunn and Todd Coffey
Tigers trade Nate Robertson and Rodney
----I truly believe that they intend to go with the younger Bonderman, and would likely give up Robertson to acquire a LH power hitter.

Reds-Phillies:
Reds trade David Ross, Ryan Freel
Phillies trade Pat Burrell
----The Phillies desperatly need a catcher, but not at Larues price/production
and with the departure of Burrell and Delucci , Freel becomes a nice guy to have playing RF at the top of the order for that lineup. They also rid themselves of salary that will be used to pursue Soriano.

I think that these moves would free up some $$$ for us to be able to address the SS and bench positions. But I truly believe your right that Phillips will be the SS and Adam Kennedy will be our new 2b.

Krusty
11-09-2006, 09:16 AM
Well Krusty some of your ideas I think are biased towards the Reds favor, I think this is what were looking at instead regarding your deals:

Reds-Tigers:
----I truly believe that they intend to go with the younger Bonderman, and would likely give up Robertson to acquire a LH power hitter.

Reds-Phillies:
and with the departure of Burrell and Delucci , Freel becomes a nice guy to have playing RF at the top of the order for that lineup. They also rid themselves of salary that will be used to pursue Soriano.

I think that these moves would free up some $$$ for us to be able to address the SS and bench positions. But I truly believe your right that Phillips will be the SS and Adam Kennedy will be our new 2b.

Let's try this:

Dunn, Coffey and Hopper to Detroit for OF Craig Monroe, RHP Fernando Rodney and LHP Wilfredo Ledezma.

Ledezma could make the Reds rotation and has a high ceiling as a LHP pitching prospect.

Johnny Footstool
11-09-2006, 09:23 AM
Let's try this:

Dunn, Coffey and Hopper to Detroit for OF Craig Monroe, RHP Fernando Rodney and LHP Wilfredo Ledezma.

Ledezma could make the Reds rotation and has a high ceiling as a LHP pitching prospect.

That's a paltry return for Dunn. Monroe is an out machine of the worst kind, and Ledezma projects to be a league-average pitcher. I'd love to install Rodney as the Reds' closer, but I'd pass on this deal.

Krusty
11-09-2006, 09:34 AM

Reds-Tigers:

Reds-Phillies:

After thinking about it, I could live with a Dunn/Coffey for Robertson/Rodney deal.

Robertson's stats have gotten better each year and would give the Reds a solid three with Harang and Arroyo.

The money saved by dealing Dunn would be used towards Burrell's contract. As for the Phillies deal, they know they have to either take on salary or pay at least half of Burrell's contract if he agrees to waive his no trade clause. Unloading LaRue and Milton would knock off around 10 million, which makes Burrell's deal more affordable. With two years, 29 million remaining on Burrell's deal, the Reds would need to unload some bloated contracts.

dunner13
11-09-2006, 11:43 AM
I think for us to even have a chance at texeria it would take bailey. Why trade texeria for dunn, money would probably be better spent on texeria at this point.

Johnny Footstool
11-09-2006, 12:11 PM
I'd pass on Robertson, too. He's got a declining K/9 rate and gives up a ton of homers while pitching in a cavernous stadium. Fool's gold.

TeamSelig
11-09-2006, 12:15 PM
WOW!

Dunn, Votto, + a pitching prospect for Tex!?

One of the worst trades ever IMO

TeamSelig
11-09-2006, 12:16 PM
I would also pass on Robertson. He gives up nearly 30 HRs a year. Probably 40 in GABP.

toledodan
11-09-2006, 01:44 PM
WOW!

i agree!

Redsnake
11-09-2006, 01:53 PM
If a long term contract could be reach with Teixeira. Then IMO it wouldn't be "one of the worst trades ever". IMO

The LH Robertson still has a decent K/BB ratio, played in what might be the best division and still posted a 3.84ERA. The switch in leagues could give him even better stats. Before the Arroyo trade I would guess most Reds fans would rather have had Robertson than Arroyo. All I'm saying is if Robertson were to become a Red, it would be an UPGRADE to the rotation.

2005 stats:
Robertson
2005 G GS W L SV CG SHO IP H R ER HR BB K ERA WHIP BAA
DET 32 32 7 16 0 2 0 196.2 202 113 98 28 65 122 4.48 1.36 .266
Arroyo
2005 G GS W L SV CG SHO IP H R ER HR BB K ERA WHIP BAA
BOS 35 32 14 10 0 0 0 205.1 213 116 103 22 54 100 4.51 1.30 .266

Johnny Footstool
11-09-2006, 02:46 PM
All I'm saying is if Robertson were to become a Red, it would be an UPGRADE to the rotation.

If the cost is Dunn, it would be a downgrade for the team as a whole.

SteelSD
11-09-2006, 02:49 PM
If the cost is Dunn, it would be a downgrade for the team as a whole.

Yep. And over the last three seasons, his splits show 51 HR (299 IP) on the road versus 36 HR at home (303 IP). That's 1.53 HR/9 IP away from Comerica. I don't really want that anywhere near the GAB.

Redsnake
11-09-2006, 02:59 PM
I'd take that over Milton's 3 year average.

Patrick Bateman
11-09-2006, 03:19 PM
I'd take that over Milton's 3 year average.

We could easily replace that with guys like EZ, Claussen, free agency.

Trading Dunn for the likes of Dunn would be a tremendous mistake. Guys like Robertson are not difficult to find.

Krusty
11-09-2006, 06:30 PM
Just better off signing Jeff Suppan to a three year deal, similar to Matt Morris signing with the Giants last offseason.

Handofdeath
11-09-2006, 06:48 PM
WOW!

Tex is a 26 year old 1B who's averaged 37/119/.282 for the last 4 seasons and who's a Gold Glover twice over. Offensively he is superior to Dunn or call it a wash. If I'm the Reds I wouldn't send the pitching prospect but I would do it for Dunn/Votto. Votto pays for the defense.

Patrick Bateman
11-09-2006, 06:57 PM
I don't think that would be a good idea Krusty.

Suppan will probably get 18+ million over 3 years. That's a lot of money for basically an average pitcher. I don't mind paying big bucks for good players, but not for mediocrity. I'd rather spend all our money on one good player (or make a trade) and filling holes by giving a chance to some of our cheaper in house options.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
11-09-2006, 09:41 PM
Let's try this:

If people complained about the Lopez, Kearns deal, imagine the outcry in Cinci from this bludgering.

TeamSelig
11-09-2006, 09:50 PM
Votto is worth the defense of Tex?? I don't think so... he is the best 1B prospect in the MLB according to an article on the Minor League Talk board. Not to mention, he is very close to being MLB ready (if he isn't already)

schroomytunes
11-10-2006, 12:39 AM
I honestly think we are probably better off keeping Dunn at least through the all-star break, we should trade him when his value is high not low. If I could make out a lineup for the 07 season with the offseason additions this is what it would be:

1)CF-Ryan Freel
2)2b-Adam Kennedy-FA pickup
3)LF-Adam Dunn
4)3b-EE
5)Rf-Griffey/Delucci-FA pickup
6)1b-Hatteberg/Helms-FA pickup
7)c-Larue
8)SS-Brandon Phillips

I think we trade David Ross to Boston for prospects.

Bench: C-Valentin 1b/3b/of -Helms OF-Denorfia, Delucci Inf-Castro

Rotation:1. Harang 2.Arroyo 3.Armas FA pickup 4. Milton 5.Lohse/Lizard

Bullpen: 1.Lohse/Lizard-Closer 2. Bray 3. Majewski 4.Cormier 5.Coffey 6.Belisle 7. Schoenweis FA resign

Additions: Kennedy, Delucci, Helms Armas

Johnny Footstool
11-10-2006, 01:06 AM
I honestly think we are probably better off keeping Dunn at least through the all-star break, we should trade him when his value is high not low. If I could make out a lineup for the 07 season with the offseason additions this is what it would be:

1)CF-Ryan Freel
2)2b-Adam Kennedy-FA pickup
3)LF-Adam Dunn
4)3b-EE
5)Rf-Griffey/Delucci-FA pickup
6)1b-Hatteberg/Helms-FA pickup
7)c-Larue
8)SS-Brandon Phillips

I think we trade David Ross to Boston for prospects.

Bench: C-Valentin 1b/3b/of -Helms OF-Denorfia, Delucci Inf-Castro

Rotation:1. Harang 2.Arroyo 3.Armas FA pickup 4. Milton 5.Lohse/Lizard

Bullpen: 1.Lohse/Lizard-Closer 2. Bray 3. Majewski 4.Cormier 5.Coffey 6.Belisle 7. Schoenweis FA resign

Additions: Kennedy, Delucci, Helms Armas

Adam Kennedy is not that good to begin with, plus he's awful vs. lefties. The Reds already have trouble against lefties, so why compound the problem?

Krusty
11-10-2006, 10:09 AM
How many lefthanded starters do the Reds see in a week? The Reds could plug either Freel or Harris at second base when there is a lefthanded starter. The majority of the starts would go to Kennedy, who would make an excellent number 2 hitter in the lineup.

Now go out and sign Suppan to be the third starter or fourth starter (depending when Bailey cracks the rotation).

Sign RHP Justin Speier to get first shot at the closer spot. If anything, he would be an excellent setup man.

westofyou
11-10-2006, 10:19 AM
The Reds could plug either Freel or Harris at second base when there is a lefthanded starter.You mean Ryan Freel who played 13 games last year there after 48 in 2005? That ship has sailed, Freel is now an OF.

Will M
11-10-2006, 11:29 AM
If I were the GM/Manager here is how I would use Freel:

RF against lefties ( Griffey in RF vs righties & Deno in CF ).
This is ~2 starts a week.

Freel fills in 2-3 times a week in LF,CF,2B, & 3B.
That gives him 4-5 starts a week and keeps his legs fresh.
Last year the team wore down after the Kearns/Lopez deal hurt the depth of position players. I don't want to see guys like Phillips, Griffey or even Freel playing 162 games.

klw
11-10-2006, 01:37 PM
Here is a rumor of Sheffield to the Tigers which would seem to squash their interest in Dunn, were it to happen.

http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/116314189548860.xml&coll=1

BEETTLEBUG
11-10-2006, 06:20 PM
Would the Reds be interested Kevin Folke?

Krusty
11-10-2006, 06:33 PM
Would the Reds be interested Kevin Folke?

Too many injury concerns. Would be the second coming of Danny Graves.

Slyder
11-12-2006, 10:49 AM
Too many injury concerns. Would be the second coming of Danny Graves.

If Foulke would come on a very incentive laden contnract, sure. If he wants guarenteed money pass.