PDA

View Full Version : Freddie Adu to the EPL?

paintmered
11-09-2006, 04:37 PM
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=390809&cc=5901

Manchester United confirm Adu interest
Reuters

MANCHESTER -- Manchester United have confirmed an interest in American teenage striker Freddy Adu.

Reports that the 17-year-old was due to have a training stint with the Premier League leaders were initially dismissed by United.

However, a spokesman for the club confirmed on Thursday that United were trying to sort out arrangements to bring Adu over to Old Trafford from the United States, where he plays for Major League Soccer (MLS) club D.C. United.

Confirmation of a trial spell is expected to come later this week.

The Washington Post reported on Wednesday that Adu had been given permission by D.C. United to train with Manchester United for two weeks later this month.

Once seen as key to the future of the U.S. game, the Ghanaian-born forward became the youngest player to represent the U.S. senior team when he made his debut against Canada in a friendly in San Diego in January, aged 16.

Good move? I doubt MLS wants to see it's young budding star heading overseas.

beb30
11-09-2006, 04:43 PM
David Beckham is headed to the L.A. Galaxy, maybe not a young budding star, but considered by many one of the best ever

NJReds
11-09-2006, 04:49 PM
It's better for Adu's development to play in a European league. I hope it works out.

Yachtzee
11-09-2006, 05:27 PM
It helps Adu, but does it help the MLS improve its talent level? I suppose that depends on what they do with the money.

oneupper
11-09-2006, 05:47 PM
Good move? I doubt MLS wants to see it's young budding star heading overseas.

This is what the Japanese and Koreans feel when THEIR stars go to play in the US.

Joseph
11-09-2006, 06:05 PM
It's soccer.

Just sayin....

Hoosier Red
11-09-2006, 06:43 PM
I forget where I read it, but basically the article stated Adu should go to a different league than the EPL. He should go to something where his improvisational skills will better be put to use.

oneupper
11-09-2006, 06:54 PM
I forget where I read it, but basically the article stated Adu should go to a different league than the EPL. He should go to something where his improvisational skills will better be put to use.

Spain

RedFanAlways1966
11-09-2006, 09:58 PM
Ghanaian

How many other words in the English language have "aia" in them?

Kind of a tough word to say at first. I had to try a couple of times to get it right.

:D

Cedric
11-09-2006, 10:40 PM
Spain

He needs to go to a English speaking country. Tactically I agree with you though.

I was a little apprehensive about the Adu hype before this season, not anymore. He's an incredible talent and supposedly has a great work ethic.

OldRightHander
11-09-2006, 11:47 PM
I think it would be in the best interests of the American national team to have more of the good players competing in Europe. You let our youngsters hone their skills against the best competition in the world and then maybe they will perform a bit better in international competition. I know several Americans already play over there, but I can't help thinking that it could only benefit us to have more of them playing there, unless MLS ever improves to that caliber.

Hoosier Red
11-10-2006, 10:12 AM
There has to be a mix for sure. MLS has to up its level of play, but the best players need to play in Europe to get better.

The only problem this creates is cohesion when the National team gets together, but that can be solved perhaps by a smaller national team player pool with players playing together more over a four year period.

reds1869
11-10-2006, 05:45 PM
Adu will have a lot of adjusting to do if he goes to the Prem. The game moves MUCH faster than it does anywhere else on earth and is very physical.

M2
11-13-2006, 12:29 AM
I think Adu should go overseas, but all he's going to do at Man U is warm a bench. The kid needs to play.

He'd do a lot better to go to Manchester City for the near term.