PDA

View Full Version : J.D. Drew?

Daniels_Parker
11-09-2006, 10:37 PM
What does everbody think about the Reds maybe going after JD Drew who opted out of his final 3 years in LA? I think it would be a nice pick up for right field if they wanted to spend a little cash on him.

Spring~Fields
11-09-2006, 10:49 PM
I don't understand why he opted out and that makes me wonder if he wants to move to a solid contender or if he believes he can make even more money than what he was already making.

I think that he could help the Reds but will he price himself out of the Reds market?

"Drew, who turns 31 on Saturday, hit .283 with 20 homers and 100 RBI last season -- his second with the Dodgers. He signed a five-year, $55 million contract Dec. 23, 2004, and had been guaranteed $33 million over the next three years with Los Angeles."

source: ESPN
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2655862

blumj
11-09-2006, 11:24 PM
I don't understand why he opted out and that makes me wonder if he wants to move to a solid contender or if he believes he can make even more money than what he was already making.
The second. 3/$33? Yeah, Boras will get him more than that. Maybe even a brand new 5/$55 all over again.

Spring~Fields
11-09-2006, 11:37 PM
The second. 3/$33? Yeah, Boras will get him more than that. Maybe even a brand new 5/$55 all over again.

At that price if the Reds were going to spend money I might opt for Aubrey Huff instead. 29 years old can play right field, 1B, 3B bats left, the GABP should boost his stats. Either player might be able to take some of the weight and expectations off the shoulders of AD and Junior. But no one on the board seems to ever talk about Huff, unless I missed it, so I just assumed he wasn't thought to highly of.

AVG .267 | HR 21 | RBI 66 | OBP .344 | SLG .469

Will M
11-09-2006, 11:44 PM
Drew seems like a guy ( like a lot of Boras's clients ) who just is 100% mercenary.

I hope the Reds don't go after him.

MississippiRed
11-10-2006, 12:20 AM
[QUOTE=SpringfieldFan;1190353]At that price if the Reds were going to spend money I might opt for Aubrey Huff instead. 29 years old can play right field, 1B, 3B bats left, the GABP should boost his stats. Either player might be able to take some of the weight and expectations off the shoulders of AD and Junior. But no one on the board seems to ever talk about Huff, unless I missed it, so I just assumed he wasn't thought to highly of.QUOTE]

I saw the J. D. Drew thing scroll across the ESPN screen and knew someone would be talking about it on RedsZone. SFan, I guess I didn't realize Aubrey Huff was available. I like him as a Red. Besides, he doesn't look like an Astro (most of them look alike).

Drew, I doubt the Reds even consider him. I believe the $40 to $50 million it would take could be better spent elsewhere.

marcshoe
11-10-2006, 12:26 AM
I think that J.D. Drew should be forced to play nothing but road games in Philadelphia for the rest of his career.

cincy09
11-10-2006, 01:58 AM
Could this be an opportunity to move Dunn to lala land?
What could we get from the Dodgers?

Johnny Footstool
11-10-2006, 02:03 AM
Why trade Dunn just for the sake of trading him?

mth123
11-10-2006, 06:16 AM
At that price if the Reds were going to spend money I might opt for Aubrey Huff instead. 29 years old can play right field, 1B, 3B bats left, the GABP should boost his stats. Either player might be able to take some of the weight and expectations off the shoulders of AD and Junior. But no one on the board seems to ever talk about Huff, unless I missed it, so I just assumed he wasn't thought to highly of.

AVG .267 | HR 21 | RBI 66 | OBP .344 | SLG .469

Huff is a butcher defensively at all of those positions. There is a difference between being versatile like Freel where you can excel (OF) or be passable (2B) or even below average (3B) at many positions than there is being terrible at all of them. Huff is an abomination at 3B and well below average in RF. I haven't seen him play 1B but word is he's not very good there either. I do like his bat and the Reds could do worse IMO but he might cost an awful lot and still not be a full-time answer at any position.

Drew, IMO, becomes the best free agent on the market except for maybe Soriano. Drew hits, gets on base (lot of walks), has power, is a good defender who can play CF, has enough arm for RF and runs well. He has a reputation for missing a lot of time but his only injury the last 3 years is a broken hand caused by a HBP. He isn't a guy who always needs to live in fear of pulling a hamstring, a groin or a calf muscle every time he moves. He'll get some major $. Word is he didn't like it in LA. His defense makes him more attractive than Lee and maybe even Soriano.

RFS62
11-10-2006, 08:18 AM
Drew seems like a guy ( like a lot of Boras's clients ) who just is 100% mercenary.

I hope the Reds don't go after him.

Yep. "It's not about the money" rings hollow with Boras.

Strikes Out Looking
11-10-2006, 09:15 AM
No, no and no.

An OF made up of Drew, Griffey and Freel would mean the fourth OF plays about 162 games. And that's just the first problem.

Redsbacker
11-10-2006, 10:05 AM
Hi, new here. I've been reading a lot about the Reds needing a right fielder this offseason and to me this is a big head-scratcher. Why don't people like Chris Denorfia?? He's young, has excellent range, his defense would undoubtedly improve playing everyday, he can play right or center, he's a potential lead-off hitter and was 15/16 in stolen bases last year at Louisville. And that's not to mention he's a very inexpensive option. I know he slumped last year but so did every other Red. I just feel that if the organization showed the same patience towards Deno that they showed towards Encarnacion, Deno could be an everyday player. To me the Reds have bigger weeknesses to address this off-season than a right fielder.

Slyder
11-10-2006, 10:26 AM
He wouldn't have opted out if he didnt think he'd get as much if not more than what was left on his contract. So to even get in the door you have to probably guarentee at least 3 yrs/35 mil.

Johnny Footstool
11-10-2006, 10:28 AM
Hi, new here. I've been reading a lot about the Reds needing a right fielder this offseason and to me this is a big head-scratcher. Why don't people like Chris Denorfia?? He's young, has excellent range, his defense would undoubtedly improve playing everyday, he can play right or center, he's a potential lead-off hitter and was 15/16 in stolen bases last year at Louisville. And that's not to mention he's a very inexpensive option. I know he slumped last year but so did every other Red. I just feel that if the organization showed the same patience towards Deno that they showed towards Encarnacion, Deno could be an everyday player. To me the Reds have bigger weeknesses to address this off-season than a right fielder.

You're right about giving Deno a chance. He's older than Encarnacion and his minor league track record isn't as impressive, but he's a cheap option that should be given a chance in CF, with Griffey moving to RF. I'd bat him 8th until he proves he can generate some power with his swing, but I'd definitely give him a long look in CF.

Highlifeman21
11-10-2006, 10:44 AM

Seems to be the theme run rampant on RedsZone....

:dunn: :deadhorse

redssouth
11-10-2006, 11:00 AM
On trading Dunn just to trade him, I am not a proponent of it, if it absolutely makes our team better, sure. But I think there is more merit this offseason than in years past to consider trading Dunn. I am too lazy to check the stats, i mean its really hard to hit ctrl+tab and do a search, im tired just thinking of it, but Dunn's numbers regressed for the second consecutive season if im not mistaken. It's kind of like playing the stock market. You have to set your stop loss to ensure you dont get caught holding the bag. If numbers regress one more year, you basically get Nothing out of a guy that could have landed you a kings ransom a very short time prior. I also think that with Wayne K's penchant for what he seems to prefer a makeup of his team to be, (speed, defense, contact) we may see Dunn in a uniform other than the Reds this next season, like it or not.

Krusty
11-10-2006, 11:05 AM
If you thought Griffey was injury-prone and the Reds aren't getting their money's worth, they would be making the same mistake with signing Drew.

TOBTTReds
11-10-2006, 11:07 AM

I would trade Dunn if we signed JD Drew. Trade Dunn for a pitcher, for example Bonderman. If we could sign JD for (guessing around) 4/55 mil. Then we would be paying him about 14 mil/year and we would have bonderman. JD is a huge upgrade defensively and playing at GABP would really boost his numbers. He gets on base at a .400 rate about every year. An outfield of JD, Jr, and Deno/Freel would be a huge upgrade as well. We would also have another starting pitch that would be a force to be reckon with for a total of around $17 mil. Or we could keep Dunn and pay him $10.5 mil and not get those benefits I was mentioning (I am a Dunn supporter, so don't take this the wrong way).

Can we get JD for that price though? I dont know.

NYMoose
11-10-2006, 11:25 AM
I think that J.D. Drew should be forced to play nothing but road games in Philadelphia for the rest of his career.

I agree...100%

Johnny Footstool
11-10-2006, 12:47 PM
I would trade Dunn if we signed JD Drew. Trade Dunn for a pitcher, for example Bonderman. If we could sign JD for (guessing around) 4/55 mil. Then we would be paying him about 14 mil/year and we would have bonderman. JD is a huge upgrade defensively and playing at GABP would really boost his numbers. He gets on base at a .400 rate about every year. An outfield of JD, Jr, and Deno/Freel would be a huge upgrade as well. We would also have another starting pitch that would be a force to be reckon with for a total of around $17 mil. Or we could keep Dunn and pay him $10.5 mil and not get those benefits I was mentioning (I am a Dunn supporter, so don't take this the wrong way).

Can we get JD for that price though? I dont know.

I doubt you could get Drew for that price. Even if you offered a truckload of money, he'd still prefer to go to Boston or another big-spotlight team.

I doubt the Reds could deal Dunn for Bonderman straight up unless the Reds paid most of his contract.

Spring~Fields
11-10-2006, 01:44 PM
Huff is a butcher defensively at all of those positions. There is a difference between being versatile like Freel where you can excel (OF) or be passable (2B) or even below average (3B) at many positions than there is being terrible at all of them. Huff is an abomination at 3B and well below average in RF. I haven't seen him play 1B but word is he's not very good there either. I do like his bat and the Reds could do worse IMO but he might cost an awful lot and still not be a full-time answer at any position.

I did not know that, accepting what you are saying, then the Reds or we fans certainly don't need more of that type play, cheap or expensive.

Spring~Fields
11-10-2006, 02:01 PM

I often donít think it is so much that any of us might not like a Freel, Denorfia, Phillips, EE, Larue, Ross etc, than that we are hoping that the Reds can upgrade their fielding, hitting and bench role players. Griffey and Dunn regardless of the pro and cons regarding them cannot do it all, they are doing what they are capable of. The other regulars and bench players have to be able to step up and be able to produce more offensively and defensively instead of putting so much weight on AD or KGJ. It needs to be spread around to the entire team. So I think we are wanting proven talent upgrades that will make up the deficiencies that will be equal to or greater than what the competition currently has.

RedsManRick
11-10-2006, 02:03 PM
I doubt you could get Drew for that price. Even if you offered a truckload of money, he'd still prefer to go to Boston or another big-spotlight team.

I doubt the Reds could deal Dunn for Bonderman straight up unless the Reds paid most of his contract.

I hadn't thought about Boston, but now that you mention it, Drew makes a ton of sense in Boston given what Theo has said recently. They could then ship Wily Mo somewhere for the bullpen help they're a bit light on.

Slyder
11-10-2006, 03:00 PM
I hadn't thought about Boston, but now that you mention it, Drew makes a ton of sense in Boston given what Theo has said recently. They could then ship Wily Mo somewhere for the bullpen help they're a bit light on.

Do I hear Willy Mo for Majik Man :D LoL.

BEETTLEBUG
11-10-2006, 03:54 PM
would you do a Wily Mo for Magic man? I beleive I would.

texasdave
11-10-2006, 04:09 PM
J.D. Drew's given name at birth is David Jonathan Drew. Someone in the family is dyslexic.

Johnny Footstool
11-10-2006, 04:13 PM
would you do a Wily Mo for Magic man? I beleive I would.

In a millisecond.

Then I'd flip Pena to the Royals or some other perpetually-rebuilding team for some real bullpen talent.

remdog
11-10-2006, 05:36 PM
Do I hear Willy Mo for Majik Man :D LoL.

Nice idea. :)

Geez, there are a lot of people in the LA area that are happy to see JD walk his walk. What a putz.

Rem

wheels
11-10-2006, 06:02 PM
J.D. is a brilliant player.

He's almost as elegant as Beltran, in my opinion.

traderumor
11-10-2006, 08:57 PM
Forget Drew. We got Bubba.

realistic
11-10-2006, 09:08 PM
I want nothing to do with Drew. Ever. Overpriced, trouble waiting to happen. I bet he dont get more than the 11 he as making.

Hes angered quite a few FO people in his overhyped/underachieving career.

Slyder
11-11-2006, 12:52 AM
In a millisecond.

Then I'd flip Pena to the Royals or some other perpetually-rebuilding team for some real bullpen talent.

Why nto try and flip him for another starting pitcher? It seem to have worked out great once (Bronson) so why not see if we cant try and catch lightning a second time and say I dunno Anaheim for one of their studs :D.

tripleaaaron
11-11-2006, 10:18 PM
Dont Like Drew, He's never played up to his true ability, and seems to do just enough to continue to earn a hefty paycheck, but nothing more, he has no desire, no fire to improve, he only earns his paycheck (and spends substantial time on the DL) and as a fan that is frustrating, and we dont need to spend $10+million on a player like that.

Falls City Beer
11-11-2006, 10:21 PM
Dont Like Drew, He's never played up to his true ability, and seems to do just enough to continue to earn a hefty paycheck, but nothing more, he has no desire, no fire to improve, he only earns his paycheck (and spends substantial time on the DL) and as a fan that is frustrating, and we dont need to spend $10+million on a player like that.

Have you checked his stats over the last three seasons? Insanely good.

Betterread
11-11-2006, 10:47 PM
Have you checked his stats over the last three seasons? Insanely good.
Sure, when he's healthy and has a financial incentive. Great 2004 (when he was playing for a big contract) and great 2006 (playing for the opt-out). In the middle there was 2005 - guaranteed 11 million, and JD was MIA. I am not disagreeing with you that he is exceptionally talented but something is missing with this guy. I think he is very practical and sensible about his career. Its all about JD Drew - not the team he plays for. For all his talents and statistical descriptors, I'm leery of him. He's half the offensive player Gary Sheffield is, with the same kind of self-centered personality.

remdog
11-12-2006, 12:03 AM
Two viewpoints of Drew offered by LA Times writers:

Bill Plaschke:
This contract was never a good buy, so good riddance
November 10, 2006

After two years of floating transparently through Chavez Ravine summers, J.D. Ghost has finally done something with passion, with strength, with heart.

He quit.

He ordered his agent to tell the Dodgers on Thursday that he was opting out of a contract that was undeservedly lucrative and generously long.

He walked away from a stunningly guaranteed $33 million because it wasn't enough.

He walked away from a team that spent two years coddling and protecting him because a supportive clubhouse wasn't enough.

He walked away from a city that blindly embraced and supported him because Dodgers fans weren't enough.

He did all of this only a few weeks after publicly saying he wasn't going anywhere, because his word wasn't enough.

In a flourish never before seen from the softest player on the planet, J.D. Drew flat quit.

The move was legal, fair, Scott Boras-brilliant, and stunningly brash.

Who knew the Ghost had it in him?

"He wants out. He can have out," said Ned Colletti, Dodgers general manager. "If he's moving on, we're moving on."

Boras, Drew's agent, was surprised at Colletti's anger, saying this was just business.

"I never said anything like that when he didn't exercise the option on Eric Gagne, it works both ways," Boras said.

I'll confess, I'm having a hard time writing this while doing a butter-churn dance, high-fiving strangers and digging up Christmas music.

Losing J.D. Drew is the best thing to happen to the Dodgers since they lost Milton Bradley.

His disappearing act was as disruptive as Bradley's disturbances.

Keeping him in the lineup was as difficult as keeping Bradley out of trouble.

Sure, he led the team with 100 runs batted in last season, but do you remember more than a handful of them? In two years he averaged 109 games, 18 homers, 68 RBIs and dozens of funny looks from teammates who never quite understood.

He missed games with strange pains and hidden soreness. He missed games simply because the manager didn't want to push him. Never once did he express anger that he wasn't in the lineup, even in the final week of this season's playoff push. Never once, it seemed, did he fight to get on the field.

The Dodgers will not miss a presence they never had, a power they never felt.

And:

T.J. Simers:
Defending J.D. Drew
November 11, 2006

I might have suggested a heart transplant was in order for J.D. Drew, or at least a nod to the crowd on occasion to let everyone know he was still alive.

We certainly had our differences. We talked for two years about him disappearing before games and hiding from the media glare that comes with being paid like a big star. I told him I thought he lacked passion and he said it was a long season and it was more important to pace his emotions.
I challenged him repeatedly, prodding him to show more life, contending the team's most talented player -- if fired up -- could raise his game another notch.

He told me in August he was going to remain with the Dodgers for the next three years so I could continue to tease him, an out-of-character gesture on his part to keep things light and loose.

He told the Orange County Register in September he would be staying with the Dodgers for the next three years.

When the Dodgers got swept in the playoffs, the fans made it clear they weren't enamored with Drew's lack of production. He received more boos than cheers as the season came to a close.

Dodgers executives and Manager Grady Little had let it be known they weren't pleased by Drew's measured approach to the game, Little at one point instructing him "to strike out" to maybe make him more aggressive at the plate.

In November, the Dodgers got word Drew was exercising a clause in his contract allowing him to leave the team and become a free agent.

When he did so, Dodgers General Manager Ned Colletti sounded wounded, while Times' columnist Bill Plaschke and most Dodgers fans seemed pleased.

Colletti went on a conference call with the media and said, "I know J.D. is a spiritual guy and a man of his word. I guess he changed his mind."

As a rule, no one will say it with their name attached. But there is a feeling in the sports world that a player who talks openly about being a Christian will be too soft to compete all out, and it's well-known Drew is a devout Christian.

And when you have the laid-back personality that Drew has and you're a Christian, it's the explanation -- along with his penchant for getting hurt -- that you hear most often around baseball when it comes to explaining Drew's inability to live up to expectations.

Colletti's comment about Drew being a "spiritual guy" implied the Christian was a hypocrite, leaving no room for the possibility that Drew just changed his mind. Obviously Colletti doesn't subscribe to the notion of turning one's cheek.

It was Drew's prerogative to change his mind, the Dodgers giving him that power when they signed him to a contract two years ago with an escape clause. And yet Colletti chose to attack his character with it. Some people get married and promise to be with their partner all their life, and statistics suggest a number of people change their minds.

As for Bill Plaschke, the award-winning No. 1 columnist in the country on most days, it's nice to know, that like a ballplayer, he can strike out on occasion.

Plaschke wrote that Drew "quit" on the Dodgers, which I'm guessing is how most fans feel right now because Drew won't be wearing Dodger blue again. It's the classic, "good riddance" line, the same one Plaschke used several years ago when Gary Sheffield wanted out of L.A.

When Sheffield said, "trade me" because he wanted more money, Plaschke scribbled, "And the Dodger fans are mad? Me? I'm celebrating."

Two years later Plaschke wrote he was watching TV and, "I pushed the mute button while considering my endorsement of the Dodgers' trade of Sheffield to the Braves for (Brian) Jordan and (Odalis) Perez, then reached a carefully considered conclusion. You fool."

As you can see, sometimes when he writes, there is no arguing with him.

When Plaschke got the news Drew was leaving L.A., he wrote, "I'll confess, I'm having a hard time writing this while doing a butter-churn dance, high-fiving strangers and digging up Christmas music."

Plaschke doing the butter-churn dance sounds like something we'll see sooner or later on Around the Screaming Horn.

As for Sheffield, he's done just fine since he made the business decision to leave town. He just got another contract extension while traded to Detroit.

It's just business. It's why the Dodgers exercised the option in their contract with Eric Gagne not to pay him $11 million next season, thereby setting him free. Remember when it was inconceivable to think the Dodgers would ever set Gagne free. I guess they changed their mind.

Colletti might be steamed at Drew -- with Plaschke and the fans piling on -- but Drew did nothing wrong, except maybe not smile enough while in a Dodger uniform.

Like anyone who has options, Drew was entitled to change his mind, and apparently did. Whether Drew made the right decision or not is another issue open to debate. Who is going to give him $33 million for the next three years?

I have a suspicion Drew's agent, Scott Boras, already knows the answer to that question, and with so few quality free agents available, Drew becomes one of the most attractive. The Dodgers would consider themselves lucky to sign a player with the skills that Drew possesses.

Say what you want about his history for getting hurt, but Drew played in 146 games -- second most on the team last season, led the Dodgers in RBI and tied for most home runs.

Despite his numbers, I thought Drew could do more, and poked him. But anyone who suggests the Dodgers are better off now because they won't have Drew is forgetting how difficult it is to find power in a game no longer dominated by steroids. Drew's loss to the Dodgers is huge.

And yet, it was just business.

Rem

pahster
11-12-2006, 09:21 AM
The Dodgers are the ones who gave him the ability to opt out of his contract; in my view, they don't get to complain.

Highlifeman21
11-12-2006, 10:37 PM
If Bill Plaschke hates JD Drew, then I welcome him to the Queen City with open arms.

JD Drew can do whatever the heck he wants, b/c his numbers the last 3+ justify him.

Come put up those numbers at GABP, JD.

Please?

flyer85
11-12-2006, 10:55 PM
JD Drew just doesn't play enough for the $$. Reds fans have already had enough of that.

wheels
11-13-2006, 07:11 PM
I'd take 146 games of J.D. Drew.

flyer85
11-13-2006, 07:19 PM
I'd take 146 games of J.D. Drew.that would be a pretty good 2 years for Drew. :D

Handofdeath
11-13-2006, 08:00 PM
I disagree with the line of thinking that says a Christian can't have passion and play hard. Orel Hershiser would brush a guy back without blinking an eye. And who are known as the two nicest guys in MLB? Sean Casey and Mike Sweeney. Read this quote from Sweeney...

"Once I get on the field," he said, "I want to win and when someone blows a ball by my chin, I'm by no means going to be happy about it. When someone drills one of my teammates on purpose, I'm going to be very unhappy about it. If somebody goes into second base and takes out one of our infielders in a malicious way, I'm going to be very upset.

"That's just part of playing baseball. You can be a great guy off the field ... once you get between those lines, it's a jungle out there. Survival of the fittest."

JD Drew lacks heart and passion. The Reds don't need any more of that on the team.

wheels
11-13-2006, 09:11 PM
that would be a pretty good 2 years for Drew. :D

I toally understand the fragility argument.

It's the only one that makes sense......He did play those 146 games last season, though.

mth123
11-13-2006, 09:47 PM
I toally understand the fragility argument.

It's the only one that makes sense......He did play those 146 games last season, though.

He actually played 140+ in 2004 as well. In 2005 he was out because he was hit by a pitch that broke his hand I believe. That isn't the injury of a fragile guy who is always pulling something. These are two full seasons and a freak injury. I'd take him and rest him for 20 to 25 games no problem.

Of course he wouldn't bother with Cincinnati IMO. Reds would have to pay way above an already high market.

Mario-Rijo
11-13-2006, 10:02 PM
I would think that Drew is an absolutely perfect fit for L.A. Angels! He is a LH productive bat who can play an effective CF which is where he wants to play. That fills half of their needs right there, then they only need a productive 1B/3B option. Hmmm... How about Aurilia? Wow that's perfect for the Angels, Drew hitting after Vlad and Rich hitting after Drew.

At least that's what I read in there current Mailbag!

Betterread
11-13-2006, 11:29 PM
He actually played 140+ in 2004 as well. In 2005 he was out because he was hit by a pitch that broke his hand I believe. That isn't the injury of a fragile guy who is always pulling something. These are two full seasons and a freak injury. I'd take him and rest him for 20 to 25 games no problem.

Of course he wouldn't bother with Cincinnati IMO. Reds would have to pay way above an already high market.

He missed time in 2005 to a broken left wrist (most of the games), sore right wrist and sore right shoulder (both were scoped after the season) and a sore
right knee (chondromalacia).