PDA

View Full Version : Sheffield dealt to tigers

dunner13
11-10-2006, 03:36 PM
Sheffield has been traded to the tigers for humberto sanchez and two prospects. Not to bad for the yankees, they are finally getting a little younger.
I would guess this probably kills any chance of dunn for bonderman.

traderumor
11-10-2006, 03:46 PM
The New York Yankees announced today that they have acquired right-handed pitcher Humberto Sanchez, right-handed pitcher Kevin Whelan and right-handed pitcher Anthony Claggett from the Detroit Tigers in exchange for outfielder Gary Sheffield.

Two A-Ballers in Whelan and Claggett. Whelan was used as a closer in High A.

RedsManRick
11-10-2006, 03:56 PM
Great trade for the Yanks IMO. I'd be surprised if Sheffield sees another 1,000 major league AB before breaking down. Those are 3 solid arms -- Yanks got quality and quantity. Considering that Abreu is a better defender and equally productive offensively, they basically traded a few crap prospects to the Phillies for a few very solid ones from the Tigers while minimizing their risk. Kudos to Cashman.

HumnHilghtFreel
11-10-2006, 04:33 PM
I agree that it's a good deal for the Yanks. Sheff is gettin up there in age and the Yankees got some quality arms in return for a player they didn't need at all.

Krusty
11-10-2006, 06:28 PM
I guess we can put the Adam Dunn to Detroit rumors to rest.

MrCinatit
11-10-2006, 06:54 PM
In November, Sheffield will turn the same age as I.
In layman's terms, that means he is getting freaking old for a baseball player. If he were to not break down, this could be a good move for Detriot - but the chances of that are somewhere between slim and none, IMHO.

Spitball
11-10-2006, 07:04 PM
I wonder where he will play with Ordonez in right. First or DH seem to be the only options.

thatcoolguy_22
11-10-2006, 07:10 PM
Sheffield will only be good for 1 possibly 2 more seasons now that he is completely off of his steroid push (supposively). Adam Dunn would have been a better fit for this younger team. Too bad... I think we would have tried to tack other talent with Dunn for bonderman though. I don't think this trade really hurts DET for the long run and it will pay immediate dividends for next year. Good move on both sides IMHO

traderumor
11-10-2006, 07:37 PM
I wonder where he will play with Ordonez in right. First or DH seem to be the only options.I doubt first, that is why he wanted out of New York, which is word to the wise after watching him butcher the position in the playoffs.

redsfanmia
11-10-2006, 08:37 PM
Sheffield will only be good for 1 possibly 2 more seasons now that he is completely off of his steroid push (supposively). Adam Dunn would have been a better fit for this younger team.

Sheffield is a much better hitter than Dunn is even at his advanced age, he is a much better fit IMO.

cincinnati chili
11-10-2006, 09:08 PM
If I recall correctly, Sheffield and Leyland had a good relationship in Florida. It looks like he'll retire with 500 homers, a near .300 average, 2700 hits, a near .400 on base percentage.

Does this mean he goes to the Hall of Fame as a Tiger? :)

What cap does a mercenary wear?

westofyou
11-10-2006, 09:59 PM

http://www.babiesandchildrenonline.com/_Sitefiles/productimages/hat114b.jpg

blumj
11-10-2006, 10:00 PM
too easy

George Foster
11-10-2006, 11:16 PM
I say Leyland now has a lot of "street credit" with the Detroit front office. He had to "ok" the trade to get Sheffield. I'm guessing he will DH alot.

jmac
11-10-2006, 11:27 PM
big move for the immediate future for tigers.
wonder if the white sox will look to counter?
maybe a "ny-bosox " off-season type rivalry developing ??

cincy09
11-11-2006, 12:07 AM
The buzz up here in Michigan is that Maggs could be on the trading block. Sheffield doesn't want to play 1st or DH he wants to play the outfield.

westofyou
11-11-2006, 12:20 AM
The buzz up here in Michigan is that Maggs could be on the trading block. Sheffield doesn't want to play 1st or DH he wants to play the outfield.

Probably for somebody with LH pop... somebody cheap.

DETROIT TIGERS
SEASON
RIGHT HANDED HITTERS

HOMERUNS HR
1 Craig Monroe 28
2 Brandon Inge 27
3 Marcus Thames 26
4 Magglio Ordonez 24
5 Chris Shelton 16
6 Ivan Rodriguez 13
7 Vance Wilson 5
T8 Omar Infante 4
T8 Placido Polanco 4
10 Brent Clevlen 3

DETROIT TIGERS
SEASON
LEFT HANDED HITTERS

HOMERUNS HR
1 Curtis Granderson 19
2 Sean Casey 5
3 Matt Stairs 2
4 Alexis Gomez 1

Slyder
11-11-2006, 12:24 AM
Dunn for Mags? I Know Mags was a decent of in Chicago but I dont know post knee injury if he still is considered as such.

mth123
11-11-2006, 07:14 AM
Dunn for Mags? I Know Mags was a decent of in Chicago but I dont know post knee injury if he still is considered as such.

No Way with Mags at 33 on opening day and signed for $12 Million in 2007, $15 Million in 2008 and $18 Million in 2009 with a 2010 team option for $15 Million or a $3 Million buyout. Thats $48 Million Guaranteed for 3 years or $60 Million for 4 years.

The trade I would do is Griffey and Milton for Mags and Ledezma and the Tigers pay $3 Million in 2008, $6 Million in 2009 and pay for the buyout (or $3 Million if the option exercised). Tigers probably wouldn't do it and Griffey probably would veto because he wouldn't play CF much and would probably have to share DH/RF with Sheff.

The Reds could be a little flexible on the $ because they would get Milton off the books. Reds could take say $5 Million that they were going to give to Milton and stick in in a fund to help pay the out years of Mags deal if Detroit won't kick in that much cash. (This is the money that many say the Reds should eat to trade Milton anyway.) Detroit would still need to pay the buyout and at least $4 Million of 2009 before I'd say yes.

Mags replaces Griffey for about the same cost for 2 years and leaves CF open for Deno. Mags will be about the same age as Griffey when the deal ends. Reds get an extra year to buy time for Bruce to be ready and the Reds are out from under Milton a year sooner. Ledezma is another arm to throw in the mix at 5th starter or bullpen. Tigers get some LH balance with Griffey, and Milton may be serviceable in that park. Griffey gets to go to a team with a real chance in 2007. Everybody wins (except maybe Mags who goes to the Reds from a contender).

This Hypothetical deal surely won't happen. But if the Reds are to trade any big names or big $ guys, it will need to be in something complicated like the Hypothetical above for the Reds to try and improve the major league team in 2007.

pahster
11-11-2006, 08:09 AM
The trade I would do is Griffey and Milton for Mags and Ledezma and the Tigers pay $3 Million in 2008, $6 Million in 2009 and pay for the buyout (or $3 Million if the option exercised). Tigers probably wouldn't do it and Griffey probably would veto because he wouldn't play CF much and would probably have to share DH/RF with Sheff.

Sounds good to me, but why would the Tigers do it?

mth123
11-11-2006, 08:50 AM
Sounds good to me, but why would the Tigers do it?

They probably wouldn't as I pointed out. The motivation would be to get out of a year of Mags deal (Griffey expires a year sooner) and add a LH power bat to a predominantly RH team (see WOY's post). They can't really sign one until they get rid of Mags or there is no place to play. They could get one at 1B but they need a couple. They will have to eat some money to trade Mags whatever they do. This may be the best they could get. Griffey's age is a non-issue to them as long as he can provide LH power for a couple years. Sheff, Rogers, Jones and I-Rod are old too and the window for them is now in spite of the young players elsewhere. When these guys are gone the others will be real expensive and the team will need to be retooled.

It still won't happen. Even if the Tigers agree, Griffey would probably veto because he won't want to DH IMO.

This was mostly a response to the notion the Reds trade Dunn for Mags. IMO the Reds could only take Mags under the condition that I described and no way should they trade Dunn for him.

steig
11-11-2006, 09:39 AM
The Tigers just made their big move for a big time player. I think they are done. I can't see them going after another pricey position player. They now have at least 3 highly paid players on the team in Mags, Sheffield, and Pudge. This deal is them trying to win it all next year and they are willing to pay sheff for two additional years to have this chance at winning. They saw what happened with the White Sox after winning the world series and not making any significant moves. Besides after giving up 3 decent pitching prospects for Sheff, how many more would they be willing to trade for another position player.

mth123
11-11-2006, 09:50 AM
The Tigers just made their big move for a big time player. I think they are done. I can't see them going after another pricey position player. They now have at least 3 highly paid players on the team in Mags, Sheffield, and Pudge. This deal is them trying to win it all next year and they are willing to pay sheff for two additional years to have this chance at winning. They saw what happened with the White Sox after winning the world series and not making any significant moves. Besides after giving up 3 decent pitching prospects for Sheff, how many more would they be willing to trade for another position player.

The point is not to acquire a pricey position player. The point is to move Mags and open a spot for a LH Hitter. I agree it won't happen.

jmac
11-11-2006, 11:00 AM
No Way with Mags at 33 on opening day and signed for $12 Million in 2007, $15 Million in 2008 and $18 Million in 2009 with a 2010 team option for $15 Million or a $3 Million buyout. Thats $48 Million Guaranteed for 3 years or $60 Million for 4 years.

The trade I would do is Griffey and Milton for Mags and Ledezma

wouldnt that be ironic.bowden tried to do griff for mags several yrs ago.

M2
11-12-2006, 11:19 PM
Mentioned this on the ORG: If Gary Sheffield can be traded, Ken Griffey Jr. can be traded.

Dave Dombrowski is one of basball's resident geniuses at the moment and he just acquired a 38-year-old OF with a fat contract and healthy issues and parted with some pretty decent prospects in the bargain. The other monkeys have seen. Surely some of them will seek to do.

George Foster
11-12-2006, 11:28 PM
Mentioned this on the ORG: If Gary Sheffield can be traded, Ken Griffey Jr. can be traded.

Dave Dombrowski is one of basball's resident geniuses at the moment and he just acquired a 38-year-old OF with a fat contract and healthy issues and parted with some pretty decent prospects in the bargain. The other monkeys have seen. Surely some of them will seek to do.

:pray: :pray: :pray:

mth123
11-13-2006, 06:31 AM

Good post, but here is why its not the same scenario IMO:

1. Ken Griffey Jr is several notches below Sheffield with the bat at this point. At 38 Sheffield is still a force to build a line-up around. Griffey, if used correctly, is probably a #5 or #6 hitting role player who adds LH pop.

2. Griffey's injury issues are "chronic" and for the rest of his career he will be a guy that could tear something every time he moves. Sheffield was injured in a specific incident and has no "chronic" health issue to my knowledge.

3. Griffey has veto power and doesn't want to leave like Sheffield did. He'd probably veto any trade that sends him to a team that won't play him in CF. I'd guess he'll figure that if he has to move from CF anyway, he may as well do it in Cincy. He may be willing to go to Atlanta, TB or Fla but they don't want him.

If Griffey would go, I only see it in an exchange of contracts scenario.

M2
11-13-2006, 09:28 AM
Good post, but here is why its not the same scenario IMO:

1. Ken Griffey Jr is several notches below Sheffield with the bat at this point. At 38 Sheffield is still a force to build a line-up around. Griffey, if used correctly, is probably a #5 or #6 hitting role player who adds LH pop.

2. Griffey's injury issues are "chronic" and for the rest of his career he will be a guy that could tear something every time he moves. Sheffield was injured in a specific incident and has no "chronic" health issue to my knowledge.

3. Griffey has veto power and doesn't want to leave like Sheffield did. He'd probably veto any trade that sends him to a team that won't play him in CF. I'd guess he'll figure that if he has to move from CF anyway, he may as well do it in Cincy. He may be willing to go to Atlanta, TB or Fla but they don't want him.

If Griffey would go, I only see it in an exchange of contracts scenario.

No two players are ever exactly the same thing, but Sheffield had negatives -- expense and attitude -- that Jr. doesn't. There aren't many big name bats on the free agent market this winter.

As for what Jr. will agree to, my guess is he'd be willing to go to a lot of places, far beyond the southeast U.S. It's not like his seven seasons in Cincinnati have been such a great run. What the no-trade clause does is give him a chance to interview a potential new team and see how he fits into the whole scheme. Plus, I think the Reds could make it clear that if he turns down whatever deal they make that retribution will be in the offing.

Handofdeath
11-13-2006, 11:36 AM
In the case of Adam Dunn being traded anywhere, I would hope the trades of Sheffield and Abreu would show the Redszone that the potential return in a Dunn trade is not going to be a starter, closer, and a pitching prospect.

mth123
11-13-2006, 08:09 PM
No two players are ever exactly the same thing, but Sheffield had negatives -- expense and attitude -- that Jr. doesn't. There aren't many big name bats on the free agent market this winter.

As for what Jr. will agree to, my guess is he'd be willing to go to a lot of places, far beyond the southeast U.S. It's not like his seven seasons in Cincinnati have been such a great run. What the no-trade clause does is give him a chance to interview a potential new team and see how he fits into the whole scheme. Plus, I think the Reds could make it clear that if he turns down whatever deal they make that retribution will be in the offing.

I hope you are right and I am wrong. A Griffey deal that moves his $, gets something useful in return and allows the Reds to replace him with a stopgap (Jay Payton?) for a year or two would be a good thing. I just don't think a trade partner will see him as worth the trouble. Sheffield at this point is still a game changer and teams will put up with baggage for that. Teams won't want Griffeys injury and position issues for the money involved IMO. As for big name, Griffey has the name but not the game anymore (tired phrase I know). If he isn't traded and will agree to a move to RF, there are many worse problems on this team than having him as the stopgap.