PDA

View Full Version : Laptop upgradeability question

WMR
11-13-2006, 11:44 AM
I've got a real nice laptop... 512 meg ram...P4 2.8 ghz...

I'd really like to upgrade to 1024 megs of ram and maybe get a new video card...

It's a Toshiba model, and a 'larger'-type laptop.

Could some computer savvy people tell me what sort of upgrade options I have and whether I'd need a new motherboard etc. etc.?

Thanks.

KronoRed
11-13-2006, 11:47 AM
On a laptop your upgrade options are limited to memory, hard drive and the optical drive usually, upgrading a laptops motherboard is next to impossible since all computer manufactures use a different form factor in their laptops.

However, upgrading the memory should be easy enough, just make sure you A) have an open slot, should be a door on the bottom of the laptop where you can access the slots..and B) buy the right kind, installation is pretty simple.

WMR
11-13-2006, 11:49 AM
Do they make 1024 megs in a 'single-DIMM'? (i think that's the proper terminology) I wonder if I'm currently on dual-256's?

Is two slots the typical size?

Thanks, Krono

KronoRed
11-13-2006, 11:52 AM
Two slots is the typical size, and they do make 1024 sticks, should be something on the Thoshiba website or manual about what type of memory it uses, could also try the Memory Advisor Tool at Crucial.
http://www.crucial.com/index.asp

WMR
11-13-2006, 12:05 PM
On a laptop your upgrade options are limited to memory, hard drive and the optical drive usually, upgrading a laptops motherboard is next to impossible since all computer manufactures use a different form factor in their laptops.

However, upgrading the memory should be easy enough, just make sure you A) have an open slot, should be a door on the bottom of the laptop where you can access the slots..and B) buy the right kind, installation is pretty simple.

So does that mean that I'm probably not going to be able to upgrade my video card?

KronoRed
11-13-2006, 12:12 PM
99% sure you can't, your model may be special and have a full size vid card in it, but I doubt it.

WMR
11-13-2006, 12:13 PM
Cool, thanks for the help bud.