PDA

View Full Version : Was Bob Knight out of line?

Matt700wlw
11-14-2006, 02:56 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2661474

Watch the video. I don't see what he did wrong, except get the kids attention because he wasn't looking at his coach as he was trying to correct him. You'd think the way some people are reacting that he killed somebody.

"I flipped his chin up and told him to look me right in the eye so he could do the job we want. I said, 'Can you??And he said 'Yes,'and I said, 'OK, sit down and let's go.'
If that's an issue then I'm living in the wrong country," Knight said. (ESPN.com)

The player and his mother defend the actions of Bob Knight...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/basketball/ncaa/wires/11/14/2060.ap.bkc.texas.tech.knight.0524/

Others don't feel the same way

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/seth_davis/11/14/hoop.thoughts/index.html

westofyou
11-14-2006, 02:58 PM
I don't have to watch it to claim that Knight is a bully.

Because he is.

BRM
11-14-2006, 02:58 PM
He didn't do anything wrong. Gene Keady said this morning that if this involved the coach at Alaska-Anchorage, it wouldn't be a story.

Here's the latest.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2661787

Cedric
11-14-2006, 02:59 PM
I personally see nothing wrong with it.

I can respect others that do though. I like Coach Knight and I think he does amazing things for the players he has under him.

Just my opinion.

dabvu2498
11-14-2006, 03:10 PM
It looks worse than it is, and yes, Knight is a bully.

Would I want to go play for him? No
Would I want my son to go play for him? No

Matt700wlw
11-14-2006, 03:11 PM
I'd love to play for him....that would mean I was younger, and actually had the talent to play basketball

:)

Reds Freak
11-14-2006, 03:12 PM
Can ESPN blow up a non-story any more? Give me a break...

dabvu2498
11-14-2006, 03:14 PM
Also, Knight's successor #2 at IU is in some luke-warm water for recruiting a kid who had already verbally committed to Illinois.

Nothing shady to get Gordon, Sampson says

Eric Gordon signed with the Hoosiers on Wednesday, the first day of the early signing period. That also made it the first time new coach Kelvin Sampson could publicly discuss the recruitment of Gordon, who originally committed to Illinois.

Coaches are not allowed by NCAA rules to discuss recruits until they sign. Sampson had been criticized by some national commentators and by Illinois coach Bruce Weber for recruiting a player committed to another school. Most recruiting services consider Gordon among the top two players in the senior class.

"I know that he and his family made it clear to us that this was something that they really wanted to explore," Sampson said. "…. Think about a kid that is committed to another school. We don't do that. Coaches don't recruit kids that are committed to other schools. If that was the case, you could do that a lot. I think this situation was certainly unique, and I hope it doesn't happen again."

Sampson, hired in March to replace Mike Davis, said he didn't remember when he and the Gordon family first made contact. Eric Gordon Sr. has maintained that Sampson did nothing wrong and that it was a "mutual decision" for his son to look at IU and for IU to recruit his son.

"I'm not going to get into the specifics," Sampson said. "I'm not going to give you a time line of how this all happened,. But the bottom line is, this kid grew up in Indiana, he's an Indiana kid and he wanted to come to Indiana."

The 6-foot-4 Gordon is a prolific scorer, and his impact has been projected to be similar to that of Carmelo Anthony, who led Syracuse to the 2003 NCAA title.

"I think that Eric, as our team develops, will impact us in his way," Sampson said. "And I'm not comparing him to Carmelo. I'm just trying to explain how Carmelo impacted Syracuse. Eric will impact us in his way. He's just a dynamite offensive player."

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?Date=20061112&Category=SPORTS&ArtNo=611120664&Template=printart

BRM
11-14-2006, 03:16 PM

That was my thought when I first saw the video.

flyer85
11-14-2006, 03:30 PM
Anyone that plays for BK knows what they are signing up for. Most would not do what BK did but those kids that go to TTU know that dealing with BK's temper comes with the territory.

flyer85
11-14-2006, 03:32 PM
Also, Knight's successor #2 at IU is in some luke-warm water for recruiting a kid who had already verbally committed to Illinois.not that I can see. Gordon's family made contact with IU. Illinois should be mad but it is rightfully directed at the kid and his family.

BRM
11-14-2006, 03:35 PM
not that I can see. Gordon's family made contact with IU. Illinois should be mad but it is rightfully directed at the kid and his family.

Illinois is also slightly peaved that Sampson never called them to let them know the Gordon family was contacting IU. Vitale discussed it ad nauseam during the IU/Lafayette game last night.

dabvu2498
11-14-2006, 03:39 PM
Illinois is also slightly peaved that Sampson never called them to let them know the Gordon family was contacting IU. Vitale discussed it ad nauseam during the IU/Lafayette game last night.

Sampson broke no NCAA rules (a switch for him). Just violated "the code."

BRM
11-14-2006, 03:40 PM
Sampson broke no NCAA rules (a switch for him). Just violated "the code."

That's my take. Vitale just kept saying that Sampson should have phoned Weber and let him know.

dabvu2498
11-14-2006, 03:44 PM
That's my take. Vitale just kept saying that Sampson should have phoned Weber and let him know.

We'll most likely find out that Sampson was out on the road recruiting and too busy to call Webber.

Cedric
11-14-2006, 03:47 PM
Coach Sampson probably has a major aversion to phones now anyways :)

Hoosier Red
11-14-2006, 03:49 PM
Speaking of Vitale rants, wait until you hear his rant defending Knight tonight.
I'm guessing it will take all of the first half and maybe 20 minutes into the second.

traderumor
11-14-2006, 03:57 PM
Kelvin Sampson seems to be a snake in the grass and will likely bring more shame than glory to IU bball. But then, he simply is doing what is typical in our culture--forget rising above the rules that are in place and following a self-imposed code of ethics that is greater than what one can get away with, "he didn't break any rules." I do not welcome him to the Big 10. Chances are, before long, he will be following the way of Jim O'Brien--filing a lawsuit against his employer to collect money on a contractual technicality of one sort or another.

redsfanmia
11-14-2006, 04:07 PM

T.O. says hello.

RedsManRick
11-14-2006, 04:07 PM
Knight is absolutely, without a doubt, an intimidator and a bully, just like Bill Parcells, my high school soccer coach, and a lot of leaders in the military. He wasn't trying to (and didn't) hurt the kid and that sort of thing is tolerated at nearly every D1 school in the country. It's Bob Knight, old news. Move on.

Hoosier Red
11-14-2006, 04:08 PM
not that I can see. Gordon's family made contact with IU. Illinois should be mad but it is rightfully directed at the kid and his family.

Talk about a whole lot of nothing, I'm pretty sure Weber knew what was going on since every paper from Peoria to Richmond was reporting it. According to Gordon's family they let Weber know about it.

Nothing more than trying to dredge up dirt.

NJReds
11-14-2006, 04:28 PM
If they think that's bad, attend a practice once in a while. And I mean any coach...not just Knight.

This is much ado about nothing.

Reds Freak
11-14-2006, 06:40 PM
T.O. says hello.

I think about 84 people could say hello...

GAC
11-14-2006, 08:28 PM
If they think that's bad, attend a practice once in a while. And I mean any coach...not just Knight.

This is much ado about nothing.

Exactly. I got really tired of doing wind sprints and pushups.

But Bobby Knight was nothing compared to my 7th grade math teacher.

That 80 yr old woman was Saddam Hussein and could have taken Knight! :lol:

cincinnati chili
11-14-2006, 09:01 PM
Gene Keady said this morning that if this involved the coach at Alaska-Anchorage, it wouldn't be a story.

I agree. But Bobby Knight brought this increased level of scrutiny upon himself.

This particular incident isn't much, but I wouldn't send my son to play for him, and I would discourage my children from even attending a school who hires him.

Obviuosly Knight has some great qualities, but the world has evolved in many important ways that he has not.

RFS62
11-14-2006, 11:11 PM
Knight is absolutely, without a doubt, an intimidator and a bully, just like Bill Parcells, my high school soccer coach, and a lot of leaders in the military. He wasn't trying to (and didn't) hurt the kid and that sort of thing is tolerated at nearly every D1 school in the country. It's Bob Knight, old news. Move on.

True, but his brand of old school is going the way of the dinosaur. It's a different world, and he's never going to change.

ESPN absolutely loves to pull out their stock footage of him flipping out... the chair throw, the "game face".... he's got quite a body of work that makes for endless loops on Sportscenter every time he does something controversial.

The kids parents were quoted as saying they think Knight did nothing wrong. I can't imagine any athlete being recruited by Knight who doesn't know what he's getting into.

Knight is a military man at heart. That's where his sensibilities lie. He believes he's right, and he doesn't give a damn what anyone thinks.

MaineRed
11-14-2006, 11:24 PM
I don't get why so many are acting as if this is an every day occurence.

Every day, never happens. Same thing to many I guess.

That said I don't think it was that big of a deal. Knight didn't punch the kid or anything.

Bob Knights anger management is the issue here, not any sort of assault.

Some of these analyst defense of Knight is all about one thing, they want to be able to interview him and are affraid he will give them the cold shoulder if they criticize him. I'm talking to you Jay Bilas and Dick Vitale. Saying this happens with every coach is an absolute joke and an insult to every coach out there not named Bob Knight.

Cedric
11-14-2006, 11:25 PM
True, but his brand of old school is going the way of the dinosaur. It's a different world, and he's never going to change.

ESPN absolutely loves to pull out their stock footage of him flipping out... the chair throw, the "game face".... he's got quite a body of work that makes for endless loops on Sportscenter every time he does something controversial.

The kids parents were quoted as saying they think Knight did nothing wrong. I can't imagine any athlete being recruited by Knight who doesn't know what he's getting into.

Knight is a military man at heart. That's where his sensibilities lie. He believes he's right, and he doesn't give a damn what anyone thinks.

Not one iota.

He cares about his players and he's not much for the media game. He graduates players and almost to a man they all love him. I don't know what else his goal should be.

RedsBaron
11-15-2006, 06:44 AM
I am no fan of Knight, but his critics are wrong this time. He did nothing wrong.

Blimpie
11-15-2006, 08:35 AM
This story needs to go away. It simply does not have the "legs" that ESPN hoped it would.

redsfanmia
11-15-2006, 08:44 AM
This blowing up of this storty personafies whats wrong with ESPN. I remember when ESPN was great now it is overblown and seems to have an agenda. It just drives me nuts.

bucksfan
11-15-2006, 12:57 PM
Count me also amonjg those who think this is way overblown. Also like others I believe Knight can be quite the bully but I really do think he helps his kids and cares about them. And in this case I see absolutely nothing wrong, especially given that the kid and his parents don't.

I really could not believe how many times I saw this on TV last night, along with the ticker by-line "Knight strikes player" and giving the player' sname, etc. Just ridiculous.

On the subject of IU's new coach, I was sure not impressed with his team last night. And like traderumor, I just don't get that "good feeling" about him and I am not sure why. But I also think he's bound to be better than Mike Davis.