PDA

View Full Version : Derosa to Cubs- 3 yrs, $13 mil

TOBTTReds
11-14-2006, 04:09 PM
I think that is a good pickup for them.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2661869

Updated: Nov. 14, 2006, 4:01 PM ET
DeRosa cashes in on career year, to sign with CubsESPN.com news services

Mark DeRosa is poised to cash in on his career year.

2006 SEASON STATISTICS
GM HR RBI R OBP AVG
136 13 74 78 .357 .296

The Chicago Cubs have reached an agreement on a three-year contract with DeRosa worth approximately $13 million, a team official familiar with the deal told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

DeRosa, who played six positions for the Rangers last season, is expected to be the Cubs' regular second baseman.

DeRosa, 31, hit a career-high .296 with 13 home runs and 74 RBI in Texas last season, his second with the Rangers. In nine seasons, DeRosa has a .273 average with 38 homers and 193 RBI.

DeRosa, who began his career with the Atlanta Braves in 1998, played in a career-high 136 games last season and hit .342 against left-handed pitchers.

The Cubs have been active this offseason, already re-signing third-baseman Aramis Ramirez to a five-year, $75 million deal and right-hander Kerry Wood to a one-year, $1.75 million contract.

Calls to the Cubs and DeRosa's agent, Lonnie Cooper, were not immediately returned.

RedsManRick
11-14-2006, 04:10 PM
A little risky given his lack of track record -- but a risk the Cubs can afford.

Patrick Bateman
11-14-2006, 04:18 PM
I think the Cubs will regret this one after a year or two.

DeRosa was incredibly lucky last season plus he was in one fo the league's best hitters parks. IMO, his value was incedibly inflated last season.

Also, DeRosa has had some very poor seasons before last season. He isn't very patient, has so-so power, and strikes out fairly often. Plus he isn't a particularly adept fielder.

A 3 year deal for a guy that is basically guaranteed to regress next year is a bad signing for the Cubs, not that I'm surprised.

Falls City Beer
11-14-2006, 04:19 PM
I think the Cubs will regret this one after a year or two.

DeRosa was incredibly lucky last season plus he was in one fo the league's best hitters parks. IMO, his value was incedibly inflated last season.

Also, DeRosa has had some very poor seasons before last season. He isn't very patient, has so-so power, and strikes out fairly often. Plus he isn't a particularly adept fielder.

A 3 year deal for a guy that is basically guaranteed to regress next year is a bad signing for the Cubs, not that I'm surprised.

Jeff Blauser, anyone?

Krusty
11-14-2006, 04:30 PM
Seems like they have two shortstops now with Cesar Izturis and Ronnie Cedeno. I wonder if they will shop Cedeno?

Shaknb8k
11-14-2006, 04:48 PM
Seems like they have two shortstops now with Cesar Izturis and Ronnie Cedeno. I wonder if they will shop Cedeno?

What position do they plan to play Derosa at? I would love to have either Izturis or Cedeno.

Patrick Bateman
11-14-2006, 04:49 PM
What position do they plan to play Derosa at? I would love to have either Izturis or Cedeno.

The article says they expect DeRosa to be their regular 2nd baseman.

M2
11-14-2006, 04:54 PM
Jim Hendry is a Cardinal saboteur I tell you. It's the only way to explain the moves he makes.

TOBTTReds
11-14-2006, 04:58 PM
They are willing to spend, and it is better than Tony Womack.

Patrick Bateman
11-14-2006, 05:01 PM
They are willing to spend, and it is better than Tony Womack.

That's not exactly the best reason to guarantee somebody 13M dollars.

klw
11-14-2006, 05:10 PM
Hello Rich Aurillia someone just set the market for you.

Krusty
11-14-2006, 05:11 PM
I would love to see the Reds acquire Cedeno to play either second or short. With Phillips and Cedeno, you would have one dynamic double play combination defensively. Like Phillips, it might take a year or two for the bat to come around but Cedeno is still a baby at 23 years old.

Falls City Beer
11-14-2006, 05:35 PM
I would love to see the Reds acquire Cedeno to play either second or short. With Phillips and Cedeno, you would have one dynamic double play combination defensively. Like Phillips, it might take a year or two for the bat to come around but Cedeno is still a baby at 23 years old.

Ronny Cedeno was absolutely brutal with the stick last year. He made Royce Clayton look like Joe DiMaggio.

Falls City Beer
11-14-2006, 05:37 PM
Jim Hendry is a Cardinal saboteur I tell you. It's the only way to explain the moves he makes.

You can bet your arse Wayne's angry he couldn't beat the Cubs' offer.

mth123
11-14-2006, 08:44 PM

Actually the Cubs and Reds match-up well IMO. The Reds could not only use Cedeno or Izturis, but with Wood in the pen with Dempster, Howry and Eyre, Wuertz may be available as well. The Cubs may want Freel to play CF and lead-off with Pierre gone and Lohse may be a guy for the back of the rotation. If you really want to dream maybe Griffey goes to be a power bat and reunite with Pinella (never happen).

flyer85
11-14-2006, 08:48 PM
DeRosa cashes in on career yeargreat news for the Reds.

Heath
11-14-2006, 08:57 PM
If Mark DeRosa can get more that $4 Million a year, I'm wondering if it's in the Reds best interest to hold on to what they got.

That's insane...but it is the Cubs.

flyer85
11-14-2006, 08:58 PM
If Mark DeRosa can get more that $4 Million a year...then one would think that would be a starting point for someone wanting to sign Aurilia.

15fan
11-15-2006, 04:27 PM
$13 million for Mark DeRosa?

That actually makes Juan Castro's contract slightly more palatable.

Slightly.

ramp101
11-15-2006, 05:01 PM
haha... This deal is absolutely terrible by the Cubs

but what else is new?

TOBTTReds
11-16-2006, 08:18 PM
haha... This deal is absolutely terrible by the Cubs

but what else is new?

I disagree. To get ANYONE this year, you are going to need to spend. Plus, they look like they are willing to spend, so what is a couple more mil to them if they have no problem with it?

The other deals that are working are 10 mil/year for Gary Matthews!!! and Juan Pierre. Those deals would be a joke. This one is OK. $4 mil aint what it was even a month ago with the old CBA.

Patrick Bateman
11-16-2006, 08:26 PM
I disagree. To get ANYONE this year, you are going to need to spend. Plus, they look like they are willing to spend, so what is a couple more mil to them if they have no problem with it?

The other deals that are working are 10 mil/year for Gary Matthews!!! and Juan Pierre. Those deals would be a joke. This one is OK. $4 mil aint what it was even a month ago with the old CBA.

All good points, but you don't win games by giving 4M for 3 years to a platoon player.

TOBTTReds
11-16-2006, 10:53 PM
I don't see the need to platoon him.

Vs. Left: .342 .394 .589 .983
Vs. Right .278 .342 .404 .746

I know he isn't exactly great as a RH'er. But for a 2nd baseman, a .278 avg and .342 obp isn't bad if you give me a .983 OPS vs. LH'ers. He is not a platoon player, especially not for the Cubs.

Patrick Bateman
11-16-2006, 11:07 PM
I don't see the need to platoon him.

Vs. Left: .342 .394 .589 .983
Vs. Right .278 .342 .404 .746

I know he isn't exactly great as a RH'er. But for a 2nd baseman, a .278 avg and .342 obp isn't bad if you give me a .983 OPS vs. LH'ers. He is not a platoon player, especially not for the Cubs.

There's basically no chance he will keep that up.

Last season was his only decent season. All of the others he was basically useless. Especially considering he's not a great fielder, he's not likely to be a valuable regular.

DeRosa was extremely lucky last season, posting a .348 BAPIP last season. Since 2001, his BAPIP's are as follows: .310, .317, .303, .281, .267.

Simply put, the .348 figure is far too big to expect for him to keep up. By playing to the same level he did last season, he will likely regress simply due to luck, and through no fault to his own.

The Cubs are paying for a player that was playing well over his head last season. He's a near guarantee to decline next season, and if his skill level also goes downhill, you are looking at an absolute disaster and a waste of 12M for the next 3 years.

TOBTTReds
11-16-2006, 11:42 PM
OK, you take Alex Gonzalez for 5 mil, I'll take DeRosa for 4