PDA

View Full Version : Loria authorizes payroll of $25 million for 2007 Marlins

savafan
11-16-2006, 07:16 AM
Florida fans are getting screwed. The Fish will be getting more back in revenue sharing than they spend on payroll.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-mikeb15nov15,0,354093.column?coll=sfla-sports-front

NAPLES -- "Oh, put me in, coach. I'm ready to play today. Look at me. I can be center field." -- John Fogerty

Yes, but could the songwriter's creation handle the cavernous dimensions at Dolphin Stadium? Could Fogerty's eager ballplayer learn to master the distant Bermuda Triangle 434 feet from home plate?

That's what makes this Marlins search for a center fielder (on a tight budget) so tricky.

It's not just a matter of swapping some excess pitching for an emerging outfielder with some speed, some sock and fewer than three years of service time.

The glove and the arm need to be there, too, in order to maximize the benefit of all that young pitching the organization has accumulated.

"It's one thing to say you can play center," says an American League personnel man. "It's another to do it at that ballpark in Miami. There's so few guys that can play it there."

It's not as simple as prying such a commodity away for the likes of Yusmeiro Petit, Renyel Pinto or Jose Garcia. That's why the Marlins, as they begin the process here at the General Managers meetings, could end up dipping into their sparkling big-league rotation for the right guy.

It won't be Dontrelle Willis. He'll open next year on the roster now that Jeffrey Loria has authorized a payroll in the $25 million range, according to a source familiar with the Marlins' thinking.

Anibal Sanchez would be awfully hard to move, too, after that September no-hitter.

But any one of the other three arms -- Ricky Nolasco, Scott Olsen and Josh Johnson, probably in descending order of likelihood -- could be had in the perfect deal.

Note I said any "one" of them. This isn't General Manager Larry Beinfest's first rodeo.

Who will the Marlins demand in exchange for such jewels?

Topping their list is the Devil Rays' Rocco Baldelli, all the way back after major knee and elbow surgeries. Not only is he an exquisite defender with power and speed, he's signed through as long as 2011 for as little as $26 million.

At worst, an acquiring team would have him for $750,000 next season and $2.25 million in 2008, plus a $4 million buyout on his 2009 option.

That's why a Devil Rays source said Tuesday the club would ask for multiple big-league ready starters, a price that might be too steep even for the pitching-rich Marlins. Then again ...

"That's definitely going to be something the Marlins go after," says a National League executive. "That guy fits everything the Marlins are about."

The Fish also like Astros speedster Willy Taveras, who they tried to get last July when he briefly fell out of favor. Unfortunately, Taveras hit .308 in the second half, thanks to a 30-game hitting streak, and his price may have skyrocketed.

Then again, the Astros have outfield depth and face great uncertainty in their rotation with Roger Clemens and/or Andy Pettitte eyeing retirement. They've also been sniffing around on free-agent center fielder Gary Matthews Jr.

Others who could rate one of the Marlins' starters include uber-prospects Matt Kemp (Dodgers), Chris Young (Diamondbacks) and Jacoby Ellsbury (Red Sox), as well as the Royals' David DeJesus, although none seems available at the moment.

DeJesus, while less gifted than Baldelli, has a similarly desirable contract (a guaranteed $13.3 million through 2010) and a reputation for gritty play.

Another Marlins target, Brian Anderson, has lost favor with the White Sox and could be had. Look for the Marlins to dangle slick shortstop Robert Andino and a lesser arm.

The crosstown Cubs could make injury-marred prospect Felix Pie available, but they'd probably have to re-sign free agent Juan Pierre or nab his replacement first. The Marlins would be interested.

Depending on what the Phillies get for Pat Burrell, speedy Shane Victorino could finally be moved. Trouble is, the Marlins have tried to get him the past two springs and gotten nowhere.

Chris Duffy reestablished himself with a strong finish in 2006, but the Pirates have plenty of young pitching and would probably ask for first baseman Mike Jacobs in return.

Lesser options include Chris Denorfia (Reds), Franklin Gutierrez (Indians), David Murphy (Red Sox) and Cory Sullivan (Rockies), although the latter two aren't much against lefties.

Frustrating, huh? That's life on a $25 million payroll.

Ravenlord
11-16-2006, 07:20 AM
Lesser options include Chris Denorfia (Reds), Franklin Gutierrez (Indians), David Murphy (Red Sox) and Cory Sullivan (Rockies), although the latter two aren't much against lefties.Mike Berardino sees it, but the Reds don't seem to.

klw
11-16-2006, 12:56 PM
$25 million would almost get the Marlins half of a Matsuzaka.

registerthis
11-16-2006, 01:24 PM
If baseball ever implements a salary cap, they must also implement a salary floor. Call it the "Loria Line."

Patpacillosjock
11-16-2006, 08:07 PM
I read this title and I thought it meant he authorized 25 million more than last year's payroll.

wow this guy should just sell the team. what a terrible owner.

Dontrelle SHOULD be making around 12 a year roughly half of that. wow..i mean just wow.

wheels
11-16-2006, 08:16 PM
That 25 million is putting a better club on the field than the Reds and their seventy plus million.

Oh, yeah, they've also got more cats just jumping at the chance to exit the pipeline.

They can deal a highly overvalued Dontrelle Willis, as well as get a king's ransom X3 for Miguel Cabrera when the time is right.

They've done a fantastic job with that franchise over the years. It's a shame that no one cares.

Reminds me of that Mr. Show bit. "I'm a better person than Albert Einstein because I make more money."

"Take THAT Einstein!"

Patpacillosjock
11-16-2006, 08:47 PM
That 25 million is putting a better club on the field than the Reds and their seventy plus million.

"

Wayne Krivsky = pwned

harangatang
11-16-2006, 09:39 PM

Oh, yeah, they've also got more cats just jumping at the chance to exit the pipeline.

They can deal a highly overvalued Dontrelle Willis, as well as get a king's ransom X3 for Miguel Cabrera when the time is right.

They've done a fantastic job with that franchise over the years. It's a shame that no one cares.

Reminds me of that Mr. Show bit. "I'm a better person than Albert Einstein because I make more money."

"Take THAT Einstein!"The Reds have a good enough payroll and terrible players and Marlins have a terrible payroll and good players.

CaiGuy
11-16-2006, 10:29 PM
Imagine having the Marlins roster with the Red's payroll.

They already have a better team, and you would have enough money to sign any free agent you desired, plus some

That would be amazing...

DannyB
11-17-2006, 06:01 PM

"Take THAT Einstein!"

Its pretty hard to get excited about them.I live here and I can name 2 players.

Bonzo
11-17-2006, 06:16 PM

Make sure to buy a yearbook next year. :thumbup:

Caveat Emperor
11-17-2006, 08:53 PM

Amazingly, after the last 6 years of Reds baseball, I wish I couldn't name players like Milton, Michalak, Reith, Acevedo, Davis, Reidling, Anderson, Haynes, Hamilton, Serafini, Austin, Manzanillo, Sanchez, Norton, Wagner, Valentine, Fernandez, Bell, and Reyes.

harangatang
11-18-2006, 12:51 AM
Amazingly, after the last 6 years of Reds baseball, I wish I couldn't name players like Milton, Michalak, Reith, Acevedo, Davis, Reidling, Anderson, Haynes, Hamilton, Serafini, Austin, Manzanillo, Sanchez, Norton, Wagner, Valentine, Fernandez, Bell, and Reyes.No Paul Wilson?

redsinraleigh
11-18-2006, 08:29 AM
Loria should at least have to match his share of revenue sharing in payroll....:rolleyes:

Unassisted
11-18-2006, 09:40 AM
Loria can bank the revenue for a couple of years and open the wallet in '09 for yet another run at the title. If that's the plan, he's crazy like a fox.

Handofdeath
11-18-2006, 03:14 PM
This flat out sickens me. This is why during labor problems I always side with the players. You can't buy a franchise without being worth hundreds of millions of dollars. These are all good businessmen. But suddenly when they own a professional sports franchise, they can't make money. They get revenue sharing money, tv and radio money, and tax breaks and subsidies. This is alongside whatever profits they make with their franchises. Then they have the cajones to ask cities, counties, and states to pay for the stadiums. What benefit does it give these places? None. Without taxes being paid the only one that benefits is the owner. If Oklahoma City offers the right deal to Loria, he'll move the franchise in a heartbeat. He used to own the AAA franchise there when they were the 89ers. Oklahoma is begging for a professional sports team. They are supporting the NBA Hornets right now quite well. Pretty much any place in Oklahoma is about two hours from OKC. There is 3.5 million people in the state of Oklahoma. That is a lot of potential support there. I believe he'll move the Marlins there eventually. They'll give him what he wants.

cincinnati chili
11-18-2006, 03:42 PM
Keep in mind that baseball still has an antitrust exemption, as far as owners go. The owners could all threaten to boot him out of the league if they wanted.

Handofdeath
11-18-2006, 04:04 PM
Keep in mind that baseball still has an antitrust exemption, as far as owners go. The owners could all threaten to boot him out of the league if they wanted.

Please, aside from Marge, who have they kicked out? Charles Finley deserved to be kicked out but wasn't. Calvin Griffith should have been. Honestly, Steinbrenner should have been. Look how badly the Brewers have been mismanaged for all of these years. Bud Selig was an absolute atrocity as an owner. Look how it was manuevered so Loria could buy the Marlins to begin with. This after mismanaging the Expos into extinction. MLB isn't going to do a damn thing.

wheels
11-18-2006, 08:59 PM
Please, aside from Marge, who have they kicked out? Charles Finley deserved to be kicked out but wasn't. Calvin Griffith should have been. Honestly, Steinbrenner should have been. Look how badly the Brewers have been mismanaged for all of these years. Bud Selig was an absolute atrocity as an owner. Look how it was manuevered so Loria could buy the Marlins to begin with. This after mismanaging the Expos into extinction. MLB isn't going to do a damn thing.

Why spend big money on players when you don't have to?

The Marlins system works. They've got two World Championships that prove this.

If I were a Marlins fan, I wouldn't care about the payroll one bit. In fact, I'd be pleased as punch that they continue to challenge convention, thriving on the mere crumbs thrown at them by a dispassionate fan base.

Slyder
11-18-2006, 09:05 PM
Why spend big money on players when you don't have to?

The Marlins system works. They've got two World Championships that prove this.

If I were a Marlins fan, I wouldn't care about the payroll one bit. In fact, I'd be pleased as punch that they continue to challenge convention, thriving on the mere crumbs thrown at them by a dispassionate fan base.

Two reasons. South Florida doesnt give 2 cents about baseball, and revenues usually are based LARGELY on Fan recognition. As Florida continues to be a cheap skate FO why would people care before August?

Also because eventually the rest of baseball will catch up with the scouting practices employed by Florida. By A) Mimicing, B) Hiring away those at the upper levels, C) people quit making desperation offers like Josh Beckett for Hanley Ramirez. What happens then?

wheels
11-18-2006, 09:15 PM
Two reasons. South Florida doesnt give 2 cents about baseball, and revenues usually are based LARGELY on Fan recognition. As Florida continues to be a cheap skate FO why would people care before August?

Also because eventually the rest of baseball will catch up with the scouting practices employed by Florida. By A) Mimicing, B) Hiring away those at the upper levels, C) people quit making desperation offers like Josh Beckett for Hanley Ramirez. What happens then?

What they're doing isn't exactly a secret.

As long as they continue to pump fresh blood into the system, they'll continue to win.

Just wait until they deal off Willis/Cabrera...They'll replace them with an absolute bounty of good young players.

In the meantime, the younger pitchers will improve around Willis, and Jacobs and Hermida will blossom around Cabrera and Ramirez.

They'll win that division again in '08 or '09, and they'll thumb their noses at all of the pundits that bang the "You have to spend money to win" drum.

I like it.

cincinnati chili
11-19-2006, 11:09 AM

I see your points. But here's the difference. Loria is using other owners' money to fund his ENTIRE payroll. Charley Finley never did that. While the owners' have a vested interest in keeping payrolls low, it can't make the other owners happy that he's TAKING THEIR MONEY in order to keep his payroll low.

And while Finley wasn't booted from the league, his power to sell off his players was effectively cut off.

Steinbrenner has been sanctioned in the past (twice), as was Ted Turner, by the commissioner in order to keep in line with the wishes of the other owner.

You and I both agree that the commish could crack the whip a little more often, but he'd be pretty justified in doing so now.

He'd also have the full blessing of the union for doing so.