PDA

View Full Version : Soriano & Carlos Lee

RedsManRick
11-16-2006, 12:46 PM
Did you realize that Lee and Soriano have the exact same career OPS (.835) and that Soriano is 6 months OLDER than Carlos Lee? Yet, I'd be willing to be that Soriano ends up getting more money and more years than Lee. I guess the stolen bases are worth what will likely be a 5MM/year difference in their salaries...

registerthis
11-16-2006, 12:54 PM
Since he's played (mostly) his entire career in Milwaukee, Carlos Lee is one of those players who can sneak under the radar and then surprise a lot of people when he produces well in a larger market.

NJReds
11-16-2006, 01:00 PM
Since he's played (mostly) his entire career in Milwaukee, Carlos Lee is one of those players who can sneak under the radar and then surprise a lot of people when he produces well in a larger market.

I thought Lee spent most of his career with the White Sox?

BRM
11-16-2006, 01:03 PM
I thought Lee spent most of his career with the White Sox?

He did. 6 years in Chicago, 1.5 in Milwaukee, and a half season in Texas.

redsfan30
11-16-2006, 01:03 PM
Lee spent the majority of his time in Chicago. I think he only spent two seasons in Milwaukee.

registerthis
11-16-2006, 01:21 PM
Yeah, ignore my post above, I don't know why i forgot about his time with the Sox.

Regarding Soriano, if he's able to recreate the numbers he put up last year playing in the cavern known as RFK, then he'll be a very good pickup for someone, but whoever it is will likely overpay for his services. yes, the power is for real, and the 41 SBs demand attention, but he was also caught stealing nearly 30% of the time, and he walks about a third as much as someone like Dunn, so his OBP suffers. He was also one of the few defenders who made Dunn look competent in the outfield.

Soriano is a very good player, but I wouldn't want to be the team paying $15 mil a year for him.

NJReds
11-16-2006, 01:24 PM
I agree. And I'm always wary of guys who put up career numbers in a FA year. Some say the bidding for Soriano might reach $20M/yr. That's insane.

registerthis
11-16-2006, 01:26 PM
I agree. And I'm always wary of guys who put up career numbers in a FA year. Some say the bidding for Soriano might reach $20M/yr. That's insane.

Any GM that pays $20 mil for someone like Soriano forever loses his right to complain about escalating player salaries.