PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: Blue Jays close to deal w/ Thomas

Puffy
11-16-2006, 01:28 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2663691

I'm not sure how much this helps Toronto, but what I do know is it hurts the heck out of Oakland. Beane is a great GM but he has an awful lot of offense he needs to find and losing Thomas makes that an even bigger chore.

dsmith421
11-16-2006, 02:20 PM
I have a hunch the A's will try to sign Barry Bonds. It just makes sense--Bonds is beloved in the Bay Area, Oakland needs a big bat for the middle of the lineup and doesn't have a huge amount of money, and it's clear Bonds needs to get out of the NL in order to stay healthy enough to be productive.

What it does to the "chemistry" in the Oakland clubhouse is frightening, but they have assimilated questionable character guys in the past without too much difficulty.

RedLegSuperStar
11-16-2006, 04:02 PM
I have a hunch the A's will try to sign Barry Bonds. It just makes sense--Bonds is beloved in the Bay Area, Oakland needs a big bat for the middle of the lineup and doesn't have a huge amount of money, and it's clear Bonds needs to get out of the NL in order to stay healthy enough to be productive.

What it does to the "chemistry" in the Oakland clubhouse is frightening, but they have assimilated questionable character guys in the past without too much difficulty.

I do think as well Bonds will sign with the A's, however I think if he doesn't it will be a money issue.

On to Thomas.. I think Toronto is wasting money on this one. They need a 2B but wont spend the money to lure Lugo, but they'll spend 10 million a year for a guy who yes had a break out season but has nagging leg, foot injuries and is 38 years old. They need a catcher and on top of that probably wont resign Lilly even though JP is trying. Just don't make sense to me..

TeamSelig
11-16-2006, 05:32 PM
Dumb deal.

Then again, I said that when the A's signed him too.

Matt700wlw
11-17-2006, 02:39 PM
Done deal now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2665836