PDA

View Full Version : Getting absurd ...

flyer85
11-16-2006, 03:46 PM
The Giants have three-year offers of $30 million on the table to outfielders Juan Pierre and Gary Matthews Jr. (http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/baseball/16023627.htm)

Some were recently suggesting the Reds would release Dunn before paying him $13 in 2008. I am guessing the free market would garner him more than that.
(http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/baseball/16023627.htm)

BRM
11-16-2006, 03:49 PM
$10M per for Matthews, Jr. and Pierre? That's downright insane.

flyer85
11-16-2006, 03:53 PM
$10M per for Matthews, Jr. and Pierre? That's downright insane.... what about an aged, hobbled injury waiting to happen Thomas getting possibly getting $30M+.

BRM
11-16-2006, 03:55 PM
... what about an aged, hobbled injury waiting to happen Thomas getting possibly getting $30M+.

Thomas can stay somewhat healthy as a DH. I wouldn't give him a three year deal though.

Ravenlord
11-16-2006, 03:56 PM
Thomas can stay somewhat healthy as a DH. I wouldn't give him a three year deal though.

at least not with that much guarenteed money.

flyer85
11-16-2006, 03:56 PM
Thomas can stay somewhat healthy as a DH. I wouldn't give him a three year deal though.he did last year but not the two years before that(he hasn't played much first base in a long time).

BRM
11-16-2006, 03:58 PM
I honestly thought Thomas was only going to get another one year deal. I was fairly shocked when I saw Toronto reportedly offer three at $10M per.

flyer85
11-16-2006, 04:04 PM
a smart GM would use this opportunity to move Jr to a contending team.

terminator
11-16-2006, 04:23 PM
Generally I agree but he's one of the few players who brings fans to the stadium and whose name sells merchandise. When I think of trading Junior and saving his $12MM (or so) salary to sign the likes of a mediocre FA pitcher who by definition should be a 4th or 5th starter, it makes me sick. The fan in me says that if we're going to be a mediocre team anyway, I'd rather watch Griffey play than watch a guy with a 4.60 ERA pitch (Lilly). (Besides, Junior will be gone in a couple years and we'd be stuck with the mediocre FA pitcher for longer than that.)

Heath
11-16-2006, 04:26 PM
wow - Eric Milton suddenly looks like a bargain.

I know this doesn't improve the club, but I'd almost stand pat and let everything go and pick up the scraps at these prices.

flyer85
11-16-2006, 04:29 PM
wow - Eric Milton suddenly looks like a bargain.
especially since he's injured and can't pitch. ;)

flyer85
11-16-2006, 04:30 PM
Generally I agree but he's one of the few players who brings fans to the stadium and whose name sells merchandise. winning sells tickets and after having spent as much time as I have at the stadium the last two years he is no longer the top draw.

guttle11
11-16-2006, 04:55 PM

An even smarter GM would use this as a chance to move Dunn and get a king's ransom in return. If those guys are getting paid that much, Dunn for what he makes is a steal.

flyer85
11-16-2006, 04:57 PM
Personally I would look to trade the old guy who has had 1 good year out of the last 6.

MartyFan
11-16-2006, 05:02 PM
With all the FA signings and rumors being off the charts, I think Special K is justified in laying low during the winter meetings...after the dust settles in when he'll get the best value for a Dunn or Junior or LaRue should he decide to deal them.

M2
11-16-2006, 05:06 PM
If Juan Pierre is worth three years and $30 million, then Ryan Freel should be a white hot trade commodity.

flyer85
11-16-2006, 05:07 PM
If Juan Pierre is worth three years and $30 million, then Ryan Freel should be a white hot trade commodity.In this market a GM could do well trading low end parts.

M2
11-16-2006, 05:14 PM
In this market a GM could do well trading low end parts.

Krivsky's getting an almost perfect wave break this offseason. Now let's see if he can shoot the curl.

registerthis
11-16-2006, 05:19 PM
Generally I agree but he's one of the few players who brings fans to the stadium and whose name sells merchandise.

I don't know that Junior brings too many people to the park these days. The Reds haven't exactly been burning up the turnstiles the last few years.

wally post
11-16-2006, 05:32 PM
register, you are right about the crowd draw with Jr (i guess) but i agree (in terms of strictly baseball) with Ricardo C that this is the time to move Jr. and KEEP DUNN! :D

Trading Griffey would give us money and not cripple the team offensively as much as losing dunn.

marcshoe
11-16-2006, 05:39 PM
Personally I would look to trade the old guy who has had 1 good year out of the last 6.

You can't trade Marty. ;)

(and yes, I immediately apologize for this remark.)

HBP
11-16-2006, 06:24 PM

Unless WK is on the phone with JimBo again, what GM would take him?

flyer85
11-16-2006, 06:34 PM
Unless WK is on the phone with JimBo again, what GM would take him?by the looks of the signings and money being thrown around, there could be more than a few.

StillFunkyB
11-16-2006, 06:43 PM
Jr has 10-5 rights. He isn't going anywhere.

Cyclone792
11-16-2006, 08:40 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2006/11/16/figure_on_drew_cashing_in/?page=1

NAPLES, Fla. -- In the words of former Patriots coach Pete Carroll, agents are feeling "pumped and jacked." There was a buzz in the lobby yesterday of the Naples Grande Resort, site of the general managers meetings, that free agent Alfonso Soriano's price could reach almost $20 million annually and that J.D. Drew's price tag is four years, $56 million.

"That's the money we're hearing," said one National League general manager concerning Drew, a Scott Boras client. "It's getting a little crazy. I don't know if people will pay it, but he's a guy a few teams are eyeing and in the end, they'll probably come close to that."

George Foster
11-16-2006, 08:49 PM

I agree with you about Jr. He is not a big draw anymore because who knows when he's going to play? Most famlies buy their tickets either pre-season or a couple of weeks in advance, so wanting to see Jr. play is a crap shoot.

I would love to trade Jr, but with his past record, who would want him?

WMR
11-16-2006, 09:51 PM
I wish this thread didn't immediately make me think of Austin Kearns but it does.

Damn.

jmac
11-16-2006, 10:40 PM
I agree with you about Jr. He is not a big draw anymore because who knows when he's going to play? Most famlies buy their tickets either pre-season or a couple of weeks in advance, so wanting to see Jr. play is a crap shoot.

I would love to trade Jr, but with his past record, who would want him?

i have always been a big jr fan but now if were trade jr or dunn, i would trade jr.
one reason ....he will be approaching 38 come ST
2nd reason .... the toe thing really baffled me.jr has repeatedly talked of getting to post season.
then he says he cant play cause he doesnt want to hurt team defensively.yet he doesnt seem open to moving to corner position though it would help team.just dont understand his reasoning other than the "rose colored glasses theory" or basically he thinks he still is our best option in cf.

terminator
11-16-2006, 11:08 PM
I don't know that Junior brings too many people to the park these days. The Reds haven't exactly been burning up the turnstiles the last few years.
I don't disagree that he's not a huge draw now, but I don't think any individual player on the team other than maybe Dunn is bringing in more fans these days.

Jim
11-17-2006, 01:51 PM
The Giants have three-year offers of $30 million on the table to outfielders Juan Pierre and Gary Matthews Jr. (http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/baseball/16023627.htm)

Some were recently suggesting the Reds would release Dunn before paying him $13 in 2008. I am guessing the free market would garner him more than that.
(http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/baseball/16023627.htm)

If Pierre can demand $10Mil per, then the MLB base salary might as well be $5Mil per and clubs can start charging $500 for a ticket in the cheap seats. Where is all this money?! Give me a salary cap before this goes any further!

registerthis
11-17-2006, 02:30 PM
I don't disagree that he's not a huge draw now, but I don't think any individual player on the team other than maybe Dunn is bringing in more fans these days.

That's not exactly a ringing endorsement to keep him around for his gate value, then.

On another note...$20 million/year for Soriano? That is beyond ludicrous. Just remember this the next time the CBA is up and the owners cry "poverty."

M2
11-17-2006, 02:49 PM
If Pierre can demand $10Mil per, then the MLB base salary might as well be $5Mil per and clubs can start charging $500 for a ticket in the cheap seats. Where is all this money?! Give me a salary cap before this goes any further!

Ever paid the freight for an NBA or NFL game? Salary caps aren't designed to save the fans some money. Nothing is designed to do that. Every major sports franchise on the planet charges based on what it thinks the maximum amount money is that can be sucked out of its market.

terminator, to echo what registerthis said, winning baseball is the only thing that's going to help at the turnstiles. Reds attendance is so bad that I don't think anyone on the team can claim to be a draw these days.