PDA

View Full Version : Well?

Redsland
11-16-2006, 04:17 PM
Well?

-by Redsland

Nervously I pace the floor. Or as close to pacing as I can come without actually rising from my seat. Staring bewilderedly into the computer monitor, I lift a trembling finger and stab it toward the mouse, clicking to refresh the page in my web browser. Nothing. No change at all. Marc Lancaster's blog announces...nothing.

What the hell is going on, and when in god's name will it end, or rather, start, I ask as I click to refresh his page again. Wayne Krivsky made four moves the week before spring training started and 36 by the end of the season. The buttons on his phone must be as beat up as an Esteban Yan spinner. But in the past month he's done...nothing.

Okay, maybe I shouldn't think of Bubba Crosby as "nothing," but then again the pessimists tell me that's precisely what he'll do on the 25-man roster this year, whereas the optimists counter that it's what his signing means vis--vis the 40-man roster, so "nothing" it is.

Click. Dammit.

How can a guy who traded for Cody Ross, played him twice, and then traded him away go a month between moves? A guy who revamped his roster by packaging a shortstop and a reliever in exchange for a shortstop and a reliever? A guy who at one point had more infielders than a whole team of coach-pitch?

Did he wake up in a hospital somewhere with amnesia? Laryngitis? Larynmnesia? Maybe The Trade burned him so bad he won't go near the hot stove. Whatever it is, I keep wishing Cliff Robertson would jump into this foxhole with me so I could nervously tell him it's quiet. I wonder what he'd say in reply.

Click. Grrr.

Marc's probably just being bombarded with so many transactions that he can't compile them all. Either that or the one transaction he's working on is so epic that he's massaging his article until it's perfect. A text to stand the withering test of time, like Homer. Or Job. Then again, C. Trent is covering for Marc while the latter vacations, so maybe not.

I click again, and the page refreshes, but not like Coca-Cola's pause. The pixels are fresher, sure, but dated nonetheless. I click and click again, wondering if I'm being toyed with. Does Wayne know that Dan O'Brien moved so glacially that he was sent packing, I'm fairly sure, to prevent him from making the Great Lakes any bigger--and if so, was his whole out-with-Womack-in-with-Clayton dance part of some elaborate ruse intended to fool me into thinking he was a manic bipolar on greenies and crack, when in fact he was merely bipolar?

The mouse strains under the assault as I finger it like Dick Pole's press clippings. True, some coaches got hired, I guess, but if we're going to be throwing contracts at old fat guys, couldn't one of them be David Wells?

I jiggle the Cat V, cross my fingers, and click again. The connection is as strong as ever; my grip as tenuous.

The worst part of it all is the constant refrain, "You just wait until you see what he can do during the off-season." Wait being the operative word. I worry that all of this inactivity is a sign that Wayne's phone was finally shut off for failure to pay a massive and growing long distance bill, but Wayne is sitting in full view of the other GMs at the winter meetings. It's like push-to-talk without having to push. And yet I click.

There is so much to do and so many ways to do it. I know his spirit is willing, but my flesh is weak. I can feel my heart beating in my chest as I wonder if this click will be the one that reveals the flick of that first domino, leading to an inevitable and exciting flury of clickity-clacking dips and swerves over hill and dale. Or will the drop of my finger deliver the ominous sight of Marcia Brady's charm bracelet hovering over a house of cards? Either would be something. Instead I get...nothing.

Someone get that man some coffee, will ya? And while you're up, grab me a
Valium.

###
:)

Heath
11-16-2006, 04:35 PM
Redsland - good post as usual - but I wonder if there would be anyone happy if anything happened anyway. I mean, if WayneK went ape-nuts over someone - he might get derided for "over-paying" or a "Milton-esque" deal.

Then the other part is the waiting game that we are in now...and it's classified as in-activity. I'm guessing Wayne's doing his job, but doesn't have any results.

Figure I'd see the big dogs fight over some stuff and see what comes out. I guess that's part of being a small dog.

Ltlabner
11-16-2006, 04:45 PM
Nice post.

Maybe Kriv was on to something last year. Instead of overpaying for bleh players this offseason, he underpayed for his bleh players last year.

We still end up with bleh players so I'm not arguing that is a good thing, but he was able to stock up on some and beat the "christmas rush" so to speak.

redsmetz
11-16-2006, 06:11 PM
The Valium would probably be a good idea and probably a collective one, frankly. Folks have noted that the GM meeting is not generally the venue for making deals, although some have happened. In fact, I believe, it's more likely that seeds are planted here. Feelers put out, pulses taken (and that might not be a bad idea for RZ - a little blood pressure medicine might help).

It's a process. It takes time. Rome wasn't built in a day (or the first weeks of the offseason). Blah blah blah - you know the routine. Relax.

It'll come.

redsmetz
11-16-2006, 06:16 PM
As usual -- and just the way Wayne Krivsky likes it -- there's very little buzz around what the Reds might do. But I still expect them to be very active, both in free agency and trade talks, as the great roster makeover continues. Hang in for what should be a busy offseason.

There you go, from Marc's blog.

Spitball
11-16-2006, 08:15 PM
It seems Krivsky would be wise to wait until some the dust settles from the major signings before he makes his moves. When the Lees and Sorianos have signed, there will be a more desperate market for a power hitter like Dunn. Also, after Zito, Schmidt, Suppan, and a few others sign, there may be another team with an Arroyo pushed into a sixth starter dilema.

RedLegSuperStar
11-16-2006, 08:34 PM
It seems Krivsky would be wise to wait until some the dust settles from the major signings before he makes his moves. When the Lees and Sorianos have signed, there will be a more desperate market for a power hitter like Dunn. Also, after Zito, Schmidt, Suppan, and a few others sign, there may be another team with an Arroyo pushed into a sixth starter dilema.

Great point.. I think us fans sit back and see almost every team in the news besides the Reds.. Tampa Bay is even making moves. But I think you make a good point.. we just don't want to miss out on a splash.

GAC
11-16-2006, 08:54 PM

Excellent post Spitball, and that's usually the way the winter trading season always starts off. Whether you're a team possessing a valuable commodity that others would like or a free agent, wouldn't you be waiting to seeing others make the first move and set the standard?

I just read the recent SI article on Scott Boras. Yeah, I know, the guy is just doing his job; but I still can't stand his guts. He comes out and says basically, concerning those he represents... "Be ready to pay big time!"

Listening him build up Zito as a lefthander that will excede Carlton.

You got teams like Boston paying 51 mil just for the negotiating rights to a Japanese pitcher, who Boras represents by the way, and people wonder, or are upset, why teams like the Reds aren't jumping into the FA market with two feet?

Spring~Fields
11-16-2006, 11:50 PM
Okay, maybe I shouldn't think of Bubba Crosby as "nothing," but then again the pessimists tell me that's precisely what he'll do on the 25-man roster this year, whereas the optimists counter that it's what his signing means vis-à-vis the 40-man roster, so "nothing" it is.

The optimists have been selling us those wares for six straight years.
Six straight losing years, they have lost all credibility. All they promote is hope deferred.
Time for a change,
vote out the optimists,
vote realist,
believe it when you see it. ;)

Redsland, seriously your original piece above was wonderfully written, I thought.

redsmetz
11-17-2006, 06:22 AM
Okay, maybe I shouldn't think of Bubba Crosby as "nothing," but then again the pessimists tell me that's precisely what he'll do on the 25-man roster this year, whereas the optimists counter that it's what his signing means vis--vis the 40-man roster, so "nothing" it is.

The optimists have been selling us those wares for six straight years.
Six straight losing years, they have lost all credibility. All they promote is hope deferred.
Time for a change,
vote out the optimists,
vote realist,
believe it when you see it. ;)

Redsland, seriously your original piece above was wonderfully written, I thought.

The point some of us have been making about Bubba Crosby is that it's one small, rather insignificant, move. The split contract tell us that. He may be able to help, he may not. There was room on the 40 man, so the contract can be protected through the Rule V draft and other moves (I believe we still have six slots open - which is huge quite frankly). I wouldn't call it nothing, but it's no big deal. I'd rather WK work methodically without the pressure of an active season than to mess up.

mth123
11-18-2006, 08:46 PM
Happy now?:D

Redsland
11-19-2006, 10:03 AM
I can neither confirm nor deny the presence of happiness at this time. ;)