PDA

View Full Version : Jason Jennings anyone?

Heath
11-17-2006, 11:25 AM
Found in SI.com Truth & Rumors -

It is less likely the Rockies will be able to come to terms with pitcher Jason Jennings. Their three-year, $21 million extension offer pales in a market where Adam Eaton and Jeff Suppan are seeking $32 million and $40 million, respectively. The Rockies made it known that Jennings could be available if a deal can't be struck, leaving them with possible fits with the Twins, Astros, Cubs, Rangers and potentially the Yankees and Mets.

Had a decent year for him - still is getting paid from the ROY.

Still, an upgrade - but not sure of his GB/FB yet.

M2
11-17-2006, 11:35 AM
Adam Eaton wants $32 million? I'd buy him a $32 bus ticket to go away instead.

As for Jennings, he was one of those guys that a number of posters here wished DanO had pursued in previous years instead of the dreck he brought in. I'm all for going after him. The good news is that his losing record each of the last four season should help to suppress his salary for anyone negotiating a LTC with him.

flyer85
11-17-2006, 11:37 AM
Still, an upgrade - but not sure of his GB/FB yet.he is a rather extreme GB pitcher

membengal
11-17-2006, 11:37 AM
I don't share the hate of Eaton. He's got good stuff, perhaps it shows itself more now that he is into the prime of his career. Late blooming pitchers are far from unheard of.

Edited to add: I like the idea of Jennings too...

Mario-Rijo
11-17-2006, 11:50 AM
he is a rather extreme GB pitcher

That should make him our #2 priority player. Right after we secure a SS who can make sure he is effective.

OnBaseMachine
11-17-2006, 07:28 PM
Absolutely. Jennings is exactly the type of pitcher the Reds need to go after.

Topcat
11-17-2006, 07:53 PM
I agree Jennings is exactly the kind of pitcher the Red's should be in the market for.

harangatang
11-17-2006, 07:54 PM
Nah, I think I'll pass, a pitcher's W-L is the most important statistic and I don't like pitchers with losing records. ;)

KronoRed
11-17-2006, 08:44 PM
Is he cheap? go for it.

Heath
11-17-2006, 10:53 PM
Is he cheap? go for it.

He might be cheap, but he ain't easy.

Ravenlord
11-17-2006, 11:24 PM
i think he's a slightly superior version of Jeff Suppan. i think he would be a boon in limiting the innings the BP sees in 07.

KronoRed
11-18-2006, 01:45 AM
He might be cheap, but he ain't easy.

:help:

GAC
11-18-2006, 02:18 PM
Nah, I think I'll pass, a pitcher's W-L is the most important statistic and I don't like pitchers with losing records. ;)

Ya gotta look at the team playing behind him though, and what contributes to that W-L record.

I'm sure Coors Field helped to inflate that 3.78 ERA and 1.34 WHIP.

He's the type of "second tier" pitcher, especially a GB pitcher, that the GAB could use.

Heath
11-18-2006, 08:26 PM
I think with the signing of Alex Gonzalez, this FO needs to go after this guy.

IslandRed
11-18-2006, 08:53 PM
Is he cheap? go for it.

It is less likely the Rockies will be able to come to terms with pitcher Jason Jennings. Their three-year, $21 million extension offer pales in a market where Adam Eaton and Jeff Suppan are seeking $32 million and $40 million, respectively. The Rockies made it known that Jennings could be available if a deal can't be struck

Since he'll be on the market only if he turns up his nose at 3/21 or thereabouts, it could be inferred that it would take $8-10 million per to get an extension done. Now, I'd rather have Jennings at that price than the other guys that will be signing similar contracts as free agents, but whether that's a net win depends on what we'd have to give the Rockies in trade.

mth123
11-18-2006, 08:59 PM
They'll want a CF who can cover that big OF and lead-off, a set-up reliever (LH) and a prospect or 2 from what I've read.

If that means Freel, Cormier, Wood and Pelland I'd do it right now and sign him for 3 years.

Falls City Beer
11-18-2006, 09:43 PM
Adam Eaton wants $32 million? I'd buy him a $32 bus ticket to go away instead.

I'd give him a swift kick in the man-junk for free.

How could anyone in good conscience give this guy more than 2 million a year?

Scrap Irony
11-19-2006, 12:39 AM
Freel, Pelland, Cormier, and any prospect pitcher except Wood, Cueto, or Bailey and I'm good with it.

But those three prospects are a deal-breaker for me.

cincyinco
11-19-2006, 03:16 AM
he is a rather extreme GB pitcher

A perfect pitcher to target since we just acquired Alex G for SS.

What would CO want in return?

Spitball
11-19-2006, 03:24 PM

I agree that he would be a perfect target, and plus, he shouldn't cost an Adam Dunn. I know the Rockies are looking to increase their team speed, but I'd hate to trade away Freel. Besides, the Rocks are close to signing Dave Roberts to play center field. Maybe Votto would be appealing since they traded away Shealy and Helton is beginning to show some age. I believe the pitching at the upper end of their system is pretty thin so maybe Dumatrait, Elizardo, and/or Belisle could somehow be attractively packaged with Votto.

It would be nice to have the guy as a three or four starter, but I wouldn't want to overpay for him.

M2
11-19-2006, 05:09 PM

Guys who know how to pray the game the right way.

cincyinco
11-19-2006, 05:23 PM
Guys who know how to pray the game the right way.

LOL!

:beerme:

I'm sure that went over a few heads here.. heh. :laugh:

I am not sure I'd trade Votto to get a Jennings, not when 1b is a fairly glaring hole in the forseeable future without him. I could see trading a Travis Wood type, along with Freel or Denorfia, perhaps a catcher as well?

Falls City Beer
11-19-2006, 05:25 PM
I am not sure I'd trade Votto to get a Jennings, not when 1b is a fairly glaring hole in the forseeable future without him.

Yikes! That's crazy. I'd trade a six-pack of Vottos for Jennings. Hell, I'd trade Bailey and Votto for Jennings.

mth123
11-19-2006, 05:42 PM
Yikes! That's crazy. I'd trade a six-pack of Vottos for Jennings. Hell, I'd trade Bailey and Votto for Jennings.

But I don't think you'd have to. I think Wood and Freel would get him.