PDA

View Full Version : Aurilia is more or less gone...

savafan
11-17-2006, 01:38 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_4675610

The San Francisco Giants and Yankees were aggressively negotiating to land Rich Aurilia on a multiyear deal that could be sealed this weekend.

"Things are moving quickly," agent Barry Axelrod said.

HBP
11-17-2006, 01:41 PM
So.....1st rd draft pick?

RedsManRick
11-17-2006, 01:57 PM
Only if we offered arbitration. Not sure when that deadline is or if it's been announced.

savafan
11-17-2006, 01:58 PM
Well, if he's signed by another team this weekend, the Reds would be foolish not to offer arbitration.

registerthis
11-17-2006, 01:59 PM
The Giants and the Yanks in a bidding war for Aurilia's services?

So glad the Reds kept their hats out of that ring.

flyer85
11-17-2006, 02:01 PM
If he is signed before the arbitration deadline(in December) the the Reds have no decision to make and would get the picks.

Slyder
11-17-2006, 02:02 PM
Offer Arby, since theres actually a legitimate offers out there for him.

redsmetz
11-17-2006, 02:03 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_4675610

The San Francisco Giants and Yankees were aggressively negotiating to land Rich Aurilia on a multiyear deal that could be sealed this weekend.

"Things are moving quickly," agent Barry Axelrod said.

From About.com

Because of the new collective bargaining agreement, this date has been moved up from December 7 and the deadline for players to accept or decline arbitration has been moved to December 7 from December 19. Therefore, by the end of the Winter Meetings we will not only know which free agents will cost draft pick compensation to sign but also which ones have already accepted arbitration, thereby taking them off the market.

I guess if someone signs elsewhere before then, we are still able to file for Arbitration procedurally.

LoganBuck
11-17-2006, 02:06 PM
I love me those draft picks.....

Chip R
11-17-2006, 02:11 PM
I guess if someone signs elsewhere before then, we are still able to file for Arbitration procedurally.

I don't understand how we can offer arbitration to a player that is signed with another team. :confused:

flyer85
11-17-2006, 02:12 PM
I don't understand how we can offer arbitration to a player that is signed with another team. :confused:don't have to, it is only for players who have not signed by the dealine.

BoydsOfSummer
11-17-2006, 02:44 PM
Rich would lower their average team age significantly :devil: .

redsmetz
11-17-2006, 03:40 PM
If he is signed before the arbitration deadline(in December) the the Reds have no decision to make and would get the picks.

That makes sense. Thanks for clearing it up.

TOBTTReds
11-17-2006, 03:43 PM
I'm think Arby(s).

Sorry about that. Sad attempt. This is good news, very good news.

StillFunkyB
11-17-2006, 06:33 PM
Don't let the door hit ya.....

vaticanplum
11-17-2006, 06:38 PM
I am not the biggest Aurilia fan on the planet, but I don't know how everyone is ignoring the fact that this makes our offensive hole even bigger.

I think the kiddies could fill it, but they need to get good and patient (ahem, Phillips) but fast.

11BarryLarkin11
11-17-2006, 06:51 PM
I am not the biggest Aurilia fan on the planet, but I don't know how everyone is ignoring the fact that this makes our offensive hole even bigger.

I think the kiddies could fill it, but they need to get good and patient (ahem, Phillips) but fast.

True, but he's 35 years old. How much longer could we reasonably expect him to produce like he did last year? Whether he's on the team next year or not, it's unlikely that we'd be getting that level of production anyway. But, he'd be paid based on the unsustainable 2006 level of performance, so I'd rather see him walk. I'll gladly take the draft picks.

Wheelhouse
11-17-2006, 07:47 PM
Don't let the door hit ya.....

Ahh, that old chestnut. And yet again, applied with such wisdom...

MartyFan
11-17-2006, 11:22 PM
Curious thing is Rich is looking for an every day slot.

I can see where he would be able to go to SF and play 3B. Where would he play every day in NY?

Is ARod gone? Could RA Be his replacement? I know it sounds nuts but if playing every day was one of his contract demands then you would have to think he would need that in NY too.

LoganBuck
11-17-2006, 11:32 PM
Who do we root for to sign Aurillia. The Giants first round pick is protected and the Yankees pick number 30. My guess is New York.

ochre
11-17-2006, 11:49 PM

Mostly only against lefthanded pitching.

marcshoe
11-17-2006, 11:51 PM

I can see where he would be able to go to SF and play 3B. Where would he play every day in NY?

Is ARod gone? Could RA Be his replacement? I know it sounds nuts but if playing every day was one of his contract demands then you would have to think he would need that in NY too.

I heard on TV today (I'm assuming ESPN) that ARod said he wants to stay in New York. Maybe Rich would play first. Andy Phillips is listed number one on their depth chart there, and if they don't want to play Giambi in the field (and I assume they don't), I don't know what other options they have at the moment. 'course I'm not too up on the Yankees everyday situation. I know they tried Sheffield there some late last year, and he's gone, and Craig Wilson's a Free Agent.

Rich might not be the big name the Yankees would like to have there, but he's an improvement over Phillips, unless Phillips is better than he showed last year. His on base percentage was .281 and his OPS was way under .700.

Again, there's likely something I don't know about all of this.

ochre
11-17-2006, 11:53 PM
Yeah. It's a blast watching somebody beat their own 'personal agenda' drum in taking every opportunity to get a jibe in against a player they despise, isn't it?

Chip R
11-18-2006, 12:10 AM

You make a good point. But, contrary to public opinion, I don't think Narron, Wayne, et. al. are so dumb as to not realize that. It'd be easy enough to move Phillips to SS and tell Aurilia that he's the starter at 2nd in 2007. If the Reds really wanted him here next year, they would tell him that and pay him the going rate. But it appears they have chosen not to tell him he's going to be a starter and Rich has chosen to play elsewhere. Knowing his offensive contributions, you have to ask why the Reds would not do whatever it took to keep him here. My guess is that they realize what most of us realize. That Aurilia has the range of the Tyler-Davidson fountain. While an Alex Gonzalez is not in Rich's league offensively, he is head and shoulders above him defensively and will probably cost the same. Plus you have the added bonus of keeping Phillips at 2nd and all of a sudden, you have one of the best defensive combinations at 2nd and SS in baseball. They may not be willing to move Jr. out of CF but it's apparently a lot easier to shore up the infield defense than to move Jr. out of CF.

Speaking of the going rate, I know there are a lot of you out there who have serious crushes on Rich. My question to you, and this is not a snark, what would you pay to keep Rich here? $4M? $5M? More than that? Just curious.

Wheelhouse
11-18-2006, 12:13 AM
Yeah. It's a blast watching somebody beat their own 'personal agenda' drum in taking every opportunity to get a jibe in against a player they despise, isn't it?

So how do you expect me to respond to that? How, as a mod, can you write a post that is so clearly antagonistic? Why initiate a Dunn fight in a thread about Aurilia? It was done again today by other Dunn fanatics in a thread where I made a post about Alex Gonzalez. You have written to me that I drag Dunn into every post I make. My post with a trade proposal which made no negative comment about Dunn whatsoever was closed today after 7 responses. It seems here you are trying to drag Dunn into my post. You have the trouble letting go. And it ain't gonna work with me. I won't engage.

flyer85
11-18-2006, 12:21 AM
When we see the size of the contract ... for the over 35 Aurilia I would assume most would like the picks, unless you are counting on a repeat of 2006.

reds44
11-18-2006, 12:25 AM
If RA goes and plays in that ballpark in San Fran and the Reds sign Alex Gonzalez, Gonzo will put up better numbers.

Mark it down.

ochre
11-18-2006, 01:50 AM
I didn't drag Dunn into anything. I dragged your propensity to rail on one particular player into a conversation where you were criticizing another for similar behavior. Hypocrite much?

Not much for you to respond to in regards to me pointing that out for you. I guess you could admit that it was somewhat ironic.

Your other thread was closed because of this comment you made:

Thanks for the analysis...c'mon boys, where's the stream of numbers that usually accompany your posts?

Wheelhouse
11-18-2006, 02:19 AM
I didn't drag Dunn into anything. I dragged your propensity to rail on one particular player into a conversation where you were criticizing another for similar behavior. Hypocrite much?

Not much for you to respond to in regards to me pointing that out for you. I guess you could admit that it was somewhat ironic.

Your other thread was closed because of this comment you made:

The stats comment was not meant as sarcastic in any way. I was truly interested in statistical analysis, and thought I asked for it in an especially good-natured way considering the terse first two reponses to the post. I'm now seeing you must be older because it's clear you were a member of HUAC.

And as for your first comment--the old, overplayed "don't let the door..." phrase is, at it's core, a requiem for dialogue. It is essentially saying "you're not in line with what I think about the game--leave." It is a seemingly quaint phrase, but really is bitter, small and antithetical to what this board is about. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth when I read it posted, which is often, and gives rise to more bad feeling than head-to-head, vigorous disagreement ever could. Pettiness is what I was challenging the poster on, not his dislike of Aurilia. So much energy is put into small, veiled digs at one another---hey that would be a nice little project for you to work on: try and bring a little more civility to the board. Stop wasting your time abusing your position closing threads because you don't like the poster.

Please, as someone who appreciates the complexity of Dali, you can't be that afraid of disagreement.

GAC
11-18-2006, 07:29 AM
Who would have thunk we'd be discusssing (and worried) about how we are going to replace RA's offense?

We've come a lonnnng way baby! :lol:

Heath
11-18-2006, 09:01 AM
Mostly only against lefthanded pitching.

and at home....

Heath
11-18-2006, 09:01 AM
If RA goes and plays in that ballpark in San Fran and the Reds sign Alex Gonzalez, Gonzo will put up better numbers.

Mark it down.

I agree with that.

flyer85
11-18-2006, 10:59 AM
Who would have thunk we'd be discusssing (and worried) about how we are going to replace RA's offense?... and people wonder what the 07 Reds are going to be like.

StillFunkyB
11-18-2006, 11:06 AM

Rich played pretty decent here. I would just like to see the Reds go in a different direction.

GAC
11-18-2006, 11:30 AM
... and people wonder what the 07 Reds are going to be like.

Unless there is a uni change they'll look pretty much the same. :evil:

vaticanplum
11-18-2006, 03:04 PM

Everything I've heard indicates that the Yankees intend to put him at first. Apart from not making the team any younger, it makes sense. Giambi is terrible there and will be DHing with Williams likely gone, Phillips is not as good as they need him to be (and can't hit), and the Sheffield experiment died a quick death.

Apart from that, I would imagine that "big contract" or "contending team" can replace the "play every day" clause pretty quickly for a lot of players :)

vaticanplum
11-18-2006, 03:06 PM
You make a good point. But, contrary to public opinion, I don't think Narron, Wayne, et. al. are so dumb as to not realize that. It'd be easy enough to move Phillips to SS and tell Aurilia that he's the starter at 2nd in 2007. If the Reds really wanted him here next year, they would tell him that and pay him the going rate. But it appears they have chosen not to tell him he's going to be a starter and Rich has chosen to play elsewhere. Knowing his offensive contributions, you have to ask why the Reds would not do whatever it took to keep him here. My guess is that they realize what most of us realize. That Aurilia has the range of the Tyler-Davidson fountain. While an Alex Gonzalez is not in Rich's league offensively, he is head and shoulders above him defensively and will probably cost the same. Plus you have the added bonus of keeping Phillips at 2nd and all of a sudden, you have one of the best defensive combinations at 2nd and SS in baseball. They may not be willing to move Jr. out of CF but it's apparently a lot easier to shore up the infield defense than to move Jr. out of CF.

I agree with all of that. I don't think it's a bad decision on the Reds' part; just curious about the tenor of this board really. It certainly blows a hole in the "the Reds' front office wants veterans at ANY COST" theory.

deltachi8
11-18-2006, 04:29 PM
And it ain't gonna work with me. I won't engage.

and yet you did.

:laugh:

Now back to Richie, I am happy to let him go. he will be to expensive to play him in a role where he is most successful - against LH pitching and far away from SS.

Jr's Boy
11-18-2006, 06:40 PM
I'm think Arby(s).

Sorry about that. Sad attempt. This is good news, very good news.

MMMM Arbys.:dunn:

Topcat
11-19-2006, 02:49 AM
yum love those draft picks!