PDA

View Full Version : BIG trade proposal--slobberknocker style.

Wheelhouse
11-17-2006, 09:53 PM
Ken Griffey, Jr., Adam Dunn and Jason Larue, (with Cincinnati assuming all of Jason Larue's salary and half of Dunn's and Griffey's for 2007) to Tampa Bay for Rocco Baldelli and Carl Crawford.

Why it could work:

I've been wracking my brain for a scenario where Griffey would waive his no-trade rights--he might go to Tampa: a)because it's very near where he lives, and his kids b)if his best friend is going as well and c)where he can play CF and assume a DH role when he needs to. Griffey must know that DH is on the horizon for him--why not go when the situation is aligned the right way for him.

Why it works for the Rays:
It's a deal that fits their difficult situation and difficult park. Tampa has NO WAY to currently attract a marquee name to sell seats. They'd have one of the most powerful, and marketable outfield trios in Dunn, Griffey and Delmon Young to sell. And let's face it, you simply must have a lineup of powerful bats to begin to compete in the AL East, which by the way, showed itself to be more then the Yanks and the Red Sox last year. Dunn and Griffey hit the huge homers necessary to leave spacious Tropicana Park. The Rays don't only need power, they need prodigious power. And they could get it at a discount from the Reds. They also get a solid, 120+ game a year veteran catcher at no cost, who the game knows is better than his showing last year.

Why it works for the Reds:
They get younger and better defense immediately. Crawford hits 25-30 HR at Great American. Baldelli hits 20-25. When Freel plays RF three guys would be waiting under every ball hit to the OF. Given this and the Reds sign Alex Gonzalez they would have arguably the best defense in the league, and one that is extremely versatile with very good pop at the plate. Financially it would be a wash with the current roster.

OnBaseMachine
11-17-2006, 10:11 PM
That is the worst trade proposal I have ever seen. Congrats on that feat.

schroomytunes
11-17-2006, 10:13 PM
This is by far worse than the Krivsky-Bowden trade:thumbdown try again!

Wheelhouse
11-17-2006, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the analysis...c'mon boys, where's the stream of numbers that usually accompany your posts?

schroomytunes
11-17-2006, 10:58 PM
OK I'll give you my slobberknocker trade proposal, and this has some potential.

Reds trade: David Ross, Chris Denorfia, Elizardo Ramirez

Royals Trade: David DeJesus(CF) and Joel Peralta(RP)

the royals get a nice catcher tandem now with Ross in the mix, while Denorfia takes over in CF, and Ramirez fills the hole in the 5th rotation spot.

The Reds get solid defense in CF and a top of the order bat, while filling a huge hole in middle relief in Peralta, and ridding itself of 3 catchers on the roster it allows to carry another OF with some pop.(FA Craig Wilson, who will platoon with Hatteberg) Thoughts?

Barbarossa
11-17-2006, 11:03 PM
Can't imagine Jr ever playing on turf again.:confused:

mth123
11-17-2006, 11:06 PM
OK I'll give you my slobberknocker trade proposal, and this has some potential.

Reds trade: David Ross, Chris Denorfia, Elizardo Ramirez

Royals Trade: David DeJesus(CF) and Joel Peralta(RP)

the royals get a nice catcher tandem now with Ross in the mix, while Denorfia takes over in CF, and Ramirez fills the hole in the 5th rotation spot.

The Reds get solid defense in CF and a top of the order bat, while filling a huge hole in middle relief in Peralta, and ridding itself of 3 catchers on the roster it allows to carry another OF with some pop.(FA Craig Wilson, who will platoon with Hatteberg) Thoughts?

I'd rather have Deno than Dejesus and Lizard over Peralta. Even if these guys are a wash (which they aren't IMO) you are still giving away David Ross. At least you proposed a deal that wasn't one sided in the Reds favor like many on here (myself included sometimes).

Wheelhouse
11-17-2006, 11:12 PM
Can't imagine Jr ever playing on turf again.:confused:

I thought of that--the OF turf in Tampa is safer and has more give than the turf of the 70s. It actually has cork "dirt" that gives and is more consistent than natural turf. But, yes, the grim historic associations with "Astroturf" could be enough for Jr to nix it there.