PDA

View Full Version : Poca Dots and Boogercats

RedsBaron
11-18-2006, 08:32 AM
Last night I took my 14 year old son to a WV high school class AA football playoff game, where "our" Wayne Pioneers defeated the Poca Dots, 13-0.
Playing against Poca made me think about those teams who have unique nicknames or at least nicknames that I like. As far as I know, Poca High School is the only team anywhere that names its teams the "Dots"-their mascot is somebody dressed up as a big red dot.
Today, while most college football fans (including me) will be focused on the battle in Columbus, Marshall University will also be in action. I've always liked Marshall's nickname, "The Thundering Herd." This nickname was given to MU teams by a local sportswriter in 1928, apparently after a then current western based upon the Zane Grey novel of the same name. While the huge herds of bison were more a feature of the American west, there were buffalo herds in this area before settlement by whites.
Anyway, "Thundering Herd" is a much better nickname than another nickname which a rival sportswriter proposed for MU athletic teams: "Boogercats." He claimed the name derived from Scotland's "Bogie Cats." Fortunately that nickname never caught on. I just cannot see "Boogercats" being a positive nickname. The upcoming film about the 1970 plane crash of Marshall's football team sure wouldn't sound the same if it was called "We Are Boogercats."
For me, college teams tend to have the better nicknames. "Buckeyes," "Tarheels", "Volunteers," "Fighting Irish", "Jayhawks"---to me those are all great nicknames that are specific to one school, with a history behind the nickname. I greatly prefer those nicknames to more generic nicknames such as "Tigers" or "Blue Devils."
In pro sports, I like as nicknames "Dodgers", "Yankees", "Reds", "Packers", "Steelers", "Knicks"--I may hate some of the teams, but I like the nicknames.
Anybody have any nicknames to nominate as being particularly good or bad?

Yachtzee
11-18-2006, 10:11 AM
University of Pennsylvania - "Fighting" Quakers (not sure if the "fighting" part is official or unofficial).
California University of Pennsylvania Vulcans
Glenville (Cleveland, OH) Tarblooders

westofyou
11-18-2006, 10:15 AM
University of California @ Irvine Anteaters
University of California @ Santa Cruz Banana Slugs
University of California @ Santa Barbara Gauchos

BuckWoody
11-18-2006, 10:33 AM
My high school was the Green Wave, not totally unique but pretty uncommon. There is another team in that county called the Bradford Railroaders. I had a fraternity brother in college who went to East Liverpool High and they were the Potters.

As far as unique college sports nicknames, I've always like the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers.

OldRightHander
11-18-2006, 10:45 AM
How about the former minor league hockey team in Georgia, the Macon Whoopie? I don't thing they're around anymore, but I always thought that was a bit different.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
11-18-2006, 10:56 AM
My high school was the Green Wave, not totally unique but pretty uncommon. There is another team in that county called the Bradford Railroaders. I had a fraternity brother in college who went to East Liverpool High and they were the Potters.

As far as unique college sports nicknames, I've always like the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers.
Greenville Greenwave class of 1997

Yachtzee
11-18-2006, 11:57 AM
Another high school up here - Brush Arcs

The school is named for Charles F. Brush, inventor of the arc light.

GAC
11-18-2006, 12:28 PM
I graduated from Urbana, who name is Hillclimbers. Our logo was always a picture of a guy running..... obviously with no place to go, and never getting where he wanted!

Kinda like Forrest Gump! :lol:

BuckWoody
11-18-2006, 01:04 PM
Greenville Greenwave class of 1997
I gradutated a little before that, 1983.

I graduated from Urbana, who name is Hillclimbers. Our logo was always a picture of a guy running..... obviously with no place to go, and never getting where he wanted!

Kinda like Forrest Gump! :lol:
Here is our fearsome logo:
http://www.greenville.k12.oh.us/GHS/LoriKeller/_borders/greenie%20color.jpg
Goofy, I'm sure, to outsiders but we were proud of it. :thumbup:

RedFanAlways1966
11-18-2006, 09:00 PM
My high school was the Green Wave, not totally unique but pretty uncommon.

Another uncommon nickname that is located near you is my high school... Northmont Thunderbolts.

vaticanplum
11-18-2006, 11:25 PM
http://www.deadspin.com/sports/whimsy/why-your-team-isnt-named-the-cute-cuddly-animals-174087.php

My college mascot was the Rangers. As in forest. Our mascot looked like a stoned Smokey the Bear.

marcshoe
11-18-2006, 11:35 PM
The Washburn University Ichabods

GAC
11-19-2006, 05:30 AM
Here's a unique website that lists some of the nation's high schools and how they got their mascot/names. The Urbana Hillclimbers actually made the list....

http://www.halcyon.com/marcs/mascoths5.html

Tillamook Cheesemakers (OR)

Tonopah Fighting Muckers (NV)

Western Doves (Baltimore, MD).... Fear the Doves! :lol:

remdog
11-19-2006, 05:48 AM
I always liked the Frankfort (IN) Hot Dogs. :)

Rem

RichRed
11-19-2006, 11:39 AM
Here's a site that lists college nicknames.

http://www.smargon.net/nicknames/

A few of my favorites:

Delaware Blue Hens

Campbell (NC) Camels - because of all the camels roaming the deserts of North Carolina

Indiana U.-Purdue U.-Fort Wayne Mastodons

Muhlenberg (PA) Mules - it just sounds right, plus they have a cool logo of a kicking mule.

Chip R
11-19-2006, 01:58 PM
Many years ago, HOU had an A ball team in their Spring Training facility in Kissimmee, FL. They called them the (whatever county) Astros because they weren't about to call a team the Kissimmee Astros. :D

RANDY IN INDY
11-19-2006, 08:46 PM
Always have liked the way "Alabama Crimson Tide" sounds.

remdog
11-19-2006, 08:59 PM
Always have liked the way "Alabama Crimson Tide" sounds.

When I hear that I think of the deadly red tide that sometimes forms and produces massive fish kills by depleating all of the oxygen in the water.

Rem

Chip R
11-19-2006, 09:10 PM
When I hear that I think of the deadly red tide that sometimes forms and produces massive fish kills by depleating all of the oxygen in the water.

Rem

So you're an Auburn fan? :lol:

remdog
11-19-2006, 09:51 PM
So you're an Auburn fan? :lol:

No. California Maritime Academy (Keelhaulers). :devil:

Rem

remdog
11-19-2006, 09:54 PM
By the way, how about the nickname for the Rhode Island School of Design---the Nads. I can hear the cheer now. Go Nads! Go Nads! Go Nads! :evil

(This really is an actual nickname.)

Rem

vaticanplum
11-19-2006, 10:26 PM
By the way, how about the nickname for the Rhode Island School of Design---the Nads. I can hear the cheer now. Go Nads! Go Nads! Go Nads! :evil

(This really is an actual nickname.)

Rem

I know a hefty handful of RISD graduates. Judging from this small sample size, it would surprise me greatly if the school boasts a single sports team. I mean, I'm sure they must, somewhere, but I doubt most of the students know about it :)

remdog
11-19-2006, 10:46 PM
I know a hefty handful of RISD graduates. Judging from this small sample size, it would surprise me greatly if the school boasts a single sports team. I mean, I'm sure they must, somewhere, but I doubt most of the students know about it :)

Maybe it refers to the "design team". :devil:

Rem

dabvu2498
11-20-2006, 03:48 PM
This reminds me of James "The Fly" Williams of Austin Peay State University fame.

The chant for him was "The Fly is open, Let's go Peay!"