PDA

View Full Version : Who could replace Aurilia?

Spitball
11-19-2006, 03:59 PM
I know pitching should be the priority, but with Aurilia surely gone, who is out there to replace him? I believe they need to search for a similar type versatile veteran capable of platooning with Hatteberg and filling in at other positions.

Mark Bellhorn comes to mind. He didn't have a great season with San Diego, but the GAB might be an incentive for a one year contract. He is a better hitter from the right side so platooning at first might help him put up some decent numbers. Also, I am pretty sure he is free since he signed last winter for only one year with the Padres.

I am not a huge Bellhorn fan, but who else is out there? Eduardo Perez has been mentioned, but he can't fill in at second or third. However, if Dunn is traded, the reds would certainly need more power from first base.

Any ideas?

pedro
11-19-2006, 04:12 PM
Considering that the Reds appear disinclined to give Freel an everyday spot I would guess that he may become the spot starter at 3rd and maybe 2nd. That leaves a RH platoon partner for Hatteberg. I think Perez would fill that role fairly nicely.

reds44
11-19-2006, 04:20 PM
Considering that the Reds appear disinclined to give Freel an everyday spot I would guess that he may become the spot starter at 3rd and maybe 2nd. That leaves a RH platoon partner for Hatteberg. I think Perez would fill that role fairly nicely.
Yeah Eduardo Perez could platoon with either Votto or Hatteberg.

I like Freel in the super sub role.

Jpup
11-19-2006, 05:05 PM

I like him in the super lead off role everyday.

reds44
11-19-2006, 05:27 PM
And you like seeing his production drop then.

Spitball
11-19-2006, 05:49 PM

I agree. Freel is the Reds' best option for the leadoff spot. People claim he can't play fulltime because of his slumps, but is the same true of Dunn, Phillips, et al?

The Mets let Lenny Dykstra slip away because they didn't appreciate his skills. The Reds' lineup is more versatile with Freel at the top of the order.

Spitball
11-19-2006, 06:02 PM
Yeah Eduardo Perez could platoon with either Votto or Hatteberg.

Even if Freel is a sub, I can't see this organization opting for Perez. Defensively, he can really only play first. He is a poor outfielder and forget third.

Freel will be in the line-up for 120 to 140 games this year. He might be at several different position as a substitute, but if someone gets hurt, he becomes a starter. Aurilia's replacement really needs to be more versatile than Eduardo Perez.

11BarryLarkin11
11-20-2006, 01:50 AM
I like the Bellhorn idea. I've always been a Bellhorn fan. He's one of the streakiest players in baseball, but maybe we'd get him on a hot streak.

But, I think Aaron Boone would be a better fit for Aurilia's old role. I think he could capably handle 2b/3b/ss in limited duty. And, GABP would be good for his offense. Not to mention, I'm sure the price is right.

Bellhorn and Boone are two guys I've always liked, so I wouldn't mind seeing either in Cincy in 2007.

mth123
11-20-2006, 07:23 AM
Not into Aaron Boone anymore. He's a shell of the player from a few years ago. He and Bret both lost it early.

RBA
11-20-2006, 09:58 AM
No one can replace Rich. :cry: :(

NJReds
11-20-2006, 10:09 AM
Craig Wilson.

Highlifeman21
11-20-2006, 10:19 AM
Joey Votto

RedsManRick
11-20-2006, 01:00 PM
Craig Wilson would be a great fit IMO. He kills lefties (.875 OPS), can play OF and even serve as an emergency catcher since we're so weak back there...

A bench of Castro, Wilson, Deno/Freel, Hopper, and Harris would cover the bases pretty well and give us options.

Jpup
11-20-2006, 02:04 PM
And you like seeing his production drop then.

It can't drop much more than sitting on the bench.

deltachi8
11-20-2006, 03:44 PM
Craig Wilson.

I second that.

BRM
11-21-2006, 01:33 PM
From Rotoworld:

The Reds talked with Rich Aurilia's agent as recently as the weekend, but it's doubtful that they'll be re-signing him after giving Alex Gonzalez a three-year deal.

With Juan Castro set to act as a utilityman and Ray Olmedo still available, the Reds can focus on adding a first baseman to platoon with the left-handed-hitting Scott Hatteberg. Kevin Millar, Eduardo Perez, Phil Nevin, Craig Wilson and Matthew LeCroy are among the players available.

membengal
11-24-2006, 06:01 PM
Wonder what Aurilia will fetch in this insane market. At this point, I would not be surprised to see some team step forward with three years and $18 - $20 million for him...

Krusty
11-24-2006, 06:29 PM
Craig Wilson can play RF and lst base. Seems like the logical signing. Add either a David Delucci and Trot Nixon to platoon in RF with Wilson, and it seems logical.

Spitball
11-24-2006, 09:35 PM
Craig Wilson can play RF and lst base. Seems like the logical signing. Add either a David Delucci and Trot Nixon to platoon in RF with Wilson, and it seems logical.

I agree, Wilson is a logical target for the Reds. However, are the Reds logical for Wilson? Wouldn't he likely choose a team with an opening for a full-time first baseman or outfielder? Being the righthanded batter in a platoon situation involves alot of sitting. Also, would his defensive shortcomings keep Krivsky away?

MartyFan
11-24-2006, 11:18 PM
Craig Wilson.

Agreed.