PDA

View Full Version : Dave Miley or Jerry Narron?

fearofpopvol1
11-19-2006, 03:43 PM
Since a lot of people hate on Jerry and since I didn't read this message board when Dave Miley was the manager, my question to you is do you think Narron has been better or worse than Miley. Do you feel that Miley would've been better long-term? Feel free to include stats, decision making or anything else you feel is important.

No hyoptheticals of other possible managers needed. Just these 2 head to head (especially since they had been with the Reds for similar tenures at this point).

westofyou
11-19-2006, 03:46 PM
Dave Miley was the worst manager the Reds had since Vern Rapp, his tenure rivaled Mayo Smiths and Don Hefners brief time as Reds manager and in summation was nothing but a disaster.

paulrichjr
11-19-2006, 03:48 PM
Since a lot of people hate on Jerry and since I didn't read this message board when Dave Miley was the manager, my question to you is do you think Narron has been better or worse than Miley. Do you feel that Miley would've been better long-term? Feel free to include stats, decision making or anything else you feel is important.

No hyoptheticals of other possible managers needed. Just these 2 head to head (especially since they had been with the Reds for similar tenures at this point).

If you think Narron is disliked you should have read this board when Miley was the manager. It was really bad but not as bad as when Boone was. It's improving after every change. 3 more changes and half the people on this board might like the manager.

Jpup
11-19-2006, 04:06 PM
how about neither?

pedro
11-19-2006, 04:08 PM
Miley was way worse that Narron IMO.

RFS62
11-19-2006, 04:12 PM
I don't think Miley was prepared to handle major league egos.

He spent years in the minors giving orders to players who would sleep in the road to get to the majors. That's a whole lot different than the sensibilities of todays major league player.

He showed the world how slick he was in the clubhouse when he confiscated Adam and Junior's chairs.

He was an old school X and O's guy who just didn't have the people skills when things got weird.

Spring~Fields
11-19-2006, 04:21 PM
I can't tell them apart along with Boone.

None of them had the player talent that their management styles called for to win. I can't recall them having the starting pitching, bullpen pitching or defense necessary to go along with the offense to win. Plus the competition out trades, out spends, and out developes players in the minors vs. the Reds.

Seems to me that we can sometimes forget that the competition has something to say whether a given manager or team is successful, if the competition has better all around talent then they should win regardless of a manager and we often determine who is the better manager based upon wins.

Patpacillosjock
11-19-2006, 04:32 PM
Barry Larkin should be our manager.

Jpup
11-19-2006, 04:34 PM
Barry Larkin should be our manager.

based on what?

mth123
11-19-2006, 04:42 PM

He spent years in the minors giving orders to players who would sleep in the road to get to the majors. That's a whole lot different than the sensibilities of todays major league player.

He showed the world how slick he was in the clubhouse when he confiscated Adam and Junior's chairs.

He was an old school X and O's guy who just didn't have the people skills when things got weird.

Perfect analysis.

Patpacillosjock
11-19-2006, 04:54 PM
based on what?

just a pipe dream bro..relax..wishful thinking

M2
11-19-2006, 05:25 PM
Miley managed like he was in a Disney movie and the kid who throws 120 MPH/Air Bud/Flubber was right around the corner.

Ltlabner
11-19-2006, 05:33 PM
Miley managed like he was in a Disney movie and the kid who throws 120 MPH/Air Bud/Flubber was right around the corner.

:laugh:

Yea, Miley really was just outclassed in dealing with pro ballpalyers egos and the personell issues. Also, while he may be a great manager at the AAA level he really just didn't have the horsepower to make the step to the majors.

Of course, it didn't help that he was trying to work within the constraints put upon him by DanO and in the environment created by DanO.

Chip R
11-19-2006, 05:35 PM
This question is like asking if you prefer to be shot or poisoned.

My big beef with Narron is in game management. Miley couldn't handle the egos and turned into Captain Queeg. I wonder what would happen if Miley handled the game management and Narron handled everything else.

Redsland
11-19-2006, 06:01 PM

All of the above is spot-on. Plus, he got out-managed day in and day out. I remember back-to-back games in which he failed to consider that the other team might squeeze the runner home from third in the early innings. Both nights they did it, and both nights they scored easily.

Miley was never thinking about the game situation, and I never saw any evidence in later innings that he'd thought ahead, either (about who to have available and so on). LaRussa (love him or hate him) knows who's due to bat three innings from now, and knows which of his bench players he's going to send up against each of your relievers. Miley? I don't think he knew who was in the hole, much less what his splits were.

Make the line-up card. Get the pitcher once he lets six runs in. Confiscate chairs. That's what Miley thought his job entailed.

Patpacillosjock
11-19-2006, 07:04 PM
This question is like asking if you prefer to be shot or poisoned.

My big beef with Narron is in game management. Miley couldn't handle the egos and turned into Captain Queeg. I wonder what would happen if Miley handled the game management and Narron handled everything else.

i agree 110%. Narron makes terrible in game decisions. On top of that, there have been more than a few times last year me and my friends back in ohio would talk on AIM and would commet on how his lineup cards seem like a lineup card that would be filled out by the opposing manager.

Meaning, that if I was managing against the Reds, and I had the power to make out their lineup, I would put the same players and batting order and same poisition placements as Narron did.

redsfan4445
11-19-2006, 11:11 PM
i agree 110%. Narron makes terrible in game decisions. On top of that, there have been more than a few times last year me and my friends back in ohio would talk on AIM and would commet on how his lineup cards seem like a lineup card that would be filled out by the opposing manager.

Meaning, that if I was managing against the Reds, and I had the power to make out their lineup, I would put the same players and batting order and same poisition placements as Narron did.

And of course the Reds extend Mr Baseball guy and let Lou go to the Cubs.. The worse move made by BOB??? extension for Narron!!! I wanted BOB to make a statement that losing IS NOT OK!!! and get the Reds a manager that excites the fans as well as the players.. Jerry makes me yawn and think of here we go for losing season #7..:(

Unassisted
11-20-2006, 01:22 AM
And of course the Reds extend Mr Baseball guy and let Lou go to the Cubs.. The worse move made by BOB??? extension for Narron!!! I wanted BOB to make a statement that losing IS NOT OK!!! and get the Reds a manager that excites the fans as well as the players.. Jerry makes me yawn and think of here we go for losing season #7..:(

Let's wait and see if Piniella can win with that bunch in Chicago before we go putting his name on next year's NL Manager of the Year plaque. He was basically phoning it in during much of his tenure in Tampa. The Reds need a manager who will inspire them to overachieve rather than a guy whose head is on the golf course when it should be at the ballpark.

oneupper
11-20-2006, 09:10 AM
Average=Narron>Miley

CySeymour
11-20-2006, 09:46 AM
I think a manager loses more games for a team than he wins. There were several times I felt Narron's bullpen usage lost the team games. I'm not too picky on lineups, as long as the right players are actually starting.

dfs
11-20-2006, 10:03 AM

...Yes, but I think the problem he had was more with the front office than with the players. After the front office cut off his legs, the players smelled blood and he was as good as gone, but if the DanO had listened to Miley's input, it never would have gone to that extreme.

fielder's choice
11-20-2006, 05:22 PM
The last 3 Reds managers have been unreal bad.

RedsBaron
11-20-2006, 07:33 PM
Narron is better than Miley, but that's similar to saying I'd rather be attacked by a guy with a knife than a guy with a gun.

KronoRed
11-20-2006, 11:08 PM
I'll go with Bob Boone

Casey_21
11-20-2006, 11:24 PM
Wow.. lol, thats a toughy. Narron's about the same, as far as bad pitching relief calls.. if there's a bad call though, at least he's gonna be out there letting the ump have it. I'll go with Narron, but this aint saying much..