PDA

View Full Version : Would you trade Tyler Pelland for Zack Greinke?

Spitball
11-19-2006, 05:33 PM
I saw Greinke last summer with Wichita and he pitched an absolute gem against Arkansas (Angels). He had an easy, fluid motion and was hitting spots with four different pitches. He has had some personal problems, but he can pitch. I'm betting most won't go for this trade, though I believe Greike has a higher ceiling.

I have a feeling the Royals might be willing to move the kid and let him start again with different people around. He and Pelland are about the same age, though I believe Greike was once a first round pick.

BEETTLEBUG
11-19-2006, 05:36 PM
Yea! why not.

Falls City Beer
11-19-2006, 05:38 PM
A guy who can't find the plate at Chatt. for a guy who has actually retired MLB hitters?

Where do I sign up?

mth123
11-19-2006, 05:41 PM
Absolutely.

dunner13
11-19-2006, 05:57 PM
That would be a great trade but I doubt the royals would do it. Wonder if they would do larue or milton for grienke though. They have some money to spend and no free agents want to go there.

IslandRed
11-19-2006, 06:19 PM
Of course I would, but I don't see why the Royals would do such a thing. If they decide to shop Greinke, surely they can do better than that.

TeamSelig
11-19-2006, 06:20 PM
Why would the Royals do that?

Spitball
11-19-2006, 07:24 PM
Why would the Royals do that?

Maybe they wouldn't for Pelland, but I believe the Royals would give Greinke the chance to get a fresh start with another organization if they could get another promising young pitcher. I don't know what psychological problems caused him to leave the team in February, but the Royals apparently have lost faith in him. He pitched well enough last season at Witchita to have warranted a call up and a few starts. Instead, he was limited to about six innings in relief.

Were the Royals protecting him, or are they disenchanted? With the way he pitched last season at AA, I'm just wondering why the Royals didn't promote him. If he has burned some bridges, perhaps he could be acquired. Of course, I'm simply speculating on a potential pocket to pick.

TeamSelig
11-19-2006, 07:26 PM
Still though. Tyler Pelland isn't even really a prospect.

M2
11-19-2006, 07:39 PM
Could I trade Pelland for Greinke and then Greinke for someone I really want?

Though if I had a some trusted scouts who were high on what they saw from Greinke last year, I wouldn't oppose grabbing him in the hopes that maybe he'd be of some use in 2008 or beyond. He needs at least one full year in AAA.

Redus
11-19-2006, 08:56 PM
The Royals were clearly protecting their troubled young prospect. Theyve got too much time and money tied up now to cut bait. Theyre letting him take baby steps back. Nice thought but doubt they're moving him

LoganBuck
11-19-2006, 09:00 PM
Isn't Greinke bi-polar or does he have some other social disorder? I would stay away from him. A big league pitching mound can really mess with people with normal mental function, let alone someone with real issues that medication has really shown it can not adequately control, at least in his case. Isn't that why he went AWOL on the Royals last spring?

Topcat
11-20-2006, 01:00 AM
For Pelland ? most defintly ! Would the Royal's offer him for Pelland? Highly doubtful.

Highlifeman21
11-20-2006, 10:46 AM
Isn't Greinke bi-polar or does he have some other social disorder? I would stay away from him. A big league pitching mound can really mess with people with normal mental function, let alone someone with real issues that medication has really shown it can not adequately control, at least in his case. Isn't that why he went AWOL on the Royals last spring?

Any similarities between Greinke and Ankiel? They both seemed to lose their ability to find the plate at young ages due to social/mental problems.

I hope Greinke gets the help he needs, mental and social health is important to conquer and maintain.

Spitball
11-20-2006, 12:51 PM
Though if I had a some trusted scouts who were high on what they saw from Greinke last year, I wouldn't oppose grabbing him in the hopes that maybe he'd be of some use in 2008 or beyond. He needs at least one full year in AAA.

Actually, scout talk is what prompted this post. Though the guy was throwing strike after strike last summer, some wondered what more he had to prove to the Royals.

M2
11-20-2006, 01:47 PM
Actually, scout talk is what prompted this post. Though the guy was throwing strike after strike last summer, some wondered what more he had to prove to the Royals.

Well, he also had his share of bad outings and he finished the year with a 4.34 ERA. So something wasn't working for him at times and what I'd want to know from scouts is what that something is. I can tell you from a quick look at his numbers that he's still got some longball issues.

Anybody can gush about a pitcher on a day when he's going right. What's he look like on the days when he's off his game? For instance, Aaron Harang will keep his team in the game on his off days.

I also suspect some of those scouts were for promoting Greinke based on the notion that the Royals had nothing to lose. I disagree. They have the last shred of confidence left in this kid to burn. When they promoted him to the majors with fewer than 200 minor league IP under his belt he was woefully unready for the majors. He'd never learned to cope with adversity. He'd never learned to adjust. When major league hitters figured him out, he crumbled.

So, I'd submit that Greinke's still got a decent bit of learning to do and that his problems (the things that betrayed him at times in AA last season) aren't likely to improve in the majors.