PDA

View Full Version : Larue traded to the Royals

Pages : [1] 2

Matt700wlw
11-20-2006, 02:46 PM
It's a rumor flying around here....Lance, Seg, myself and anybody else who has the time are trying to confirm it.

We've recieved several emails about it....so there may be something to it....

Nothing from the Reds front

wheels
11-20-2006, 02:48 PM
If this ture, it's awesome.

I don't even care about the return.

Joseph
11-20-2006, 02:50 PM
I hope not. My attendance drops dramatically when the wife doesn't get to see LaRue.

Falls City Beer
11-20-2006, 02:50 PM
If this ture, it's awesome.

I don't even care about the return.

I disagree. The Royals have nothing I want.

RFS62
11-20-2006, 02:51 PM
I disagree. The Royals has nothing I want.

Salary dump

wheels
11-20-2006, 02:52 PM
I disagree. The Royals has nothing I want.

Except for salary relief, and relief from the three catcher fiasco.

Falls City Beer
11-20-2006, 02:52 PM
Except for salary relief, and relief from the three catcher fiasco.

Eh. Get rid of Javy.

wheels
11-20-2006, 02:53 PM
It's a rumor flying around here....Lance, Seg, myself and anybody else who has the time are trying to confirm it.

We've recieved several emails about it....so there may be something to it....

Nothing from the Reds front

Keep us posted, Daddy.

Things could get purty interesting around here today.

Puffy
11-20-2006, 02:53 PM
This would be fine with me. Don't even really care about the return - although I would imagine LaRue has some value to some team out there.

Team Clark
11-20-2006, 02:55 PM
Salary dump

It's a DUMP alright.... Maybe the Royals will throw in an Asst. Trainer and a Batting Practice cage. :evil:

Falls City Beer
11-20-2006, 02:55 PM
although I would imagine LaRue has some value to some team out there.

You don't just give a guy like Larue away when you have virtually no trading chips left with which to deal.

wheels
11-20-2006, 02:57 PM
Eh. Get rid of Javy.

They gain more by ridding themselves of Larue.

This could free up the jack it might take to bring in someone of value. They needn't be hanging on to highly paid, aging catchers.

I say this, and I like Larue a lot.

It just makes sense to me to deal him.

Who knows, they might even get a prospect out of it.

Red Leader
11-20-2006, 02:57 PM
You don't just give a guy like Larue away when you have virtually no trading chips left with which to deal.

I agree. I care about the return, because, to be honest, we don't have a lot of trading chips to give up. We pretty much need a good return on every trade we make this winter, or we're going backwards.

Puffy
11-20-2006, 02:58 PM

I agree. I really think LaRue has some value - the key is abstacting that value from a GM. LaRue is on the wrong side of 30 for a catcher, so who knows. But his proven track record and relative lack of playing time last year (suggesting some tread left on the tires) is the carrot. Now hopefully Krivsky can dangle it to the right people.

Cedric
11-20-2006, 02:59 PM
I agree. I really think LaRue has some value - the key is abstacting that value from a GM. LaRue is on the wrong side of 30 for a catcher, so who knows. But his proven track record and relative lack of playing time last year (suggesting some tread left on the tires) is the carrot. Now hopefully Krivsky can dangle it to the right people.

Yep, with Larue's age I'm willing to take about anything for him at this point.

Frees up a roster spot and cash.

wheels
11-20-2006, 02:59 PM
I agree. I care about the return, because, to be honest, we don't have a lot of trading chips to give up. We pretty much need a good return on every trade we make this winter, or we're going backwards.

I don't see it that way.

A trade like this certainly provides more wiggle room for free agents.

It also makes the 25 man roster better because they won't be lugging around three catchers.

Red Leader
11-20-2006, 03:00 PM

If we're trading LaRue to the Royals, and they are going to take on all of his salary (or even most of it) we ain't gettin' squat in return.

If we're sending LaRue to them with a boatload of cash, maybe then we can expect a decent return. That's what I hope the situation is.

wheels
11-20-2006, 03:01 PM
Wonder if the Reds are gonna eat some of that contract, though.

That might make me a bristle a bit on a bad retrun.

registerthis

I don't know how much of a trading chip LaRue is, though. Turning 33 next year, making $4 million, coming off his worst offensive season ever...that doesn't exactly scream "tradeable."

The flip side is you're counting on David Ross to be able to replicate his career year. Yikes.

RedsManRick
I'm guessing LaRue and maybe 2-3MM for a decent pitching prospect with some upside.

registerthis
11-20-2006, 03:02 PM
Wonder if the Reds are gonna eat some of that contract, though.

That might make me a bristle a bit on a bad retrun.

I'm assuming we aren't getting back much in return, since it is the Royals, so the return HAS to be the freeing up of salary. If the Reds have to pitch in a couple of million for this deal to go through, forget it.

Falls City Beer
11-20-2006, 03:03 PM
I don't see it that way.

It also makes the 25 man roster better because they won't be lugging around three catchers.

I think this team thinks it has money. But when the rubber hits the road....even 5 million won't make enough of a difference, particularly when it costs the Reds a player of some value.

wheels
11-20-2006, 03:03 PM
I don't know how much of a trading chip LaRue is, though. Turning 33 next year, making $4 million, coming off his worst offensive season ever...that doesn't exactly scream "tradeable."

The flip side is you're counting on David Ross to be able to replicate his career year. Yikes.

Even if Ross doesn't repeat, I can live lower offensive production out of a catcher.

...As long as Wayne has a hitter or two on the way.

wheels
11-20-2006, 03:04 PM
I'm assuming we aren't getting back much in return, since it is the Royals, so the return HAS to be the freeing up of salary. If the Reds have to pitch in a couple of million for this deal to go through, forget it.

Couldn't agree more, and well put.

Joseph
11-20-2006, 03:05 PM
I don't think you can effectively do a salary dump in relation to 5 million dollars in this current market. LaRue is a .240-.250 career hitter, upper 1/3 of catchers defensively, and if one places value on effort he is one of the more intense guys on the team. If we 'dump' his salary it would be pointless because 5 million isn't going to get us a player thats better than LaRue's career numbers most likely. In fact it just got us Alex Gonzalez who is a 240-ish hitter who is good defensively. Is there really a point to dumping LaRue and praying Ross doesn't revert to career norms? In my opinion you don't do a dump, you only do a deal if something solid is coming in return.

registerthis
Even if Ross doesn't repeat, I can live lower offensive production out of a catcher.

Then you stick with LaRue, because his D outpaces that of Ross. And considering the Reds signed an offensive black hole at shortstop, we'll need to get some offense from the catching spot--you can't afford to have three perpetually dead spots in the order.

Falls City Beer
I'm guessing LaRue and maybe 2-3MM for a decent pitching prospect with some upside.

I haven't liked a Royals' pitching prospect since the 1980s.

Matt700wlw
I got the "can't confirm" mantra from the Reds :)

We'll see.

corkedbat
11-20-2006, 03:06 PM
A deal with Kansas City?

Two words: Reggie Sanders :evil:

registerthis
11-20-2006, 03:07 PM

We'll see.

That means LaRue is already getting his head shot taken with his Royals cap on.

Redsland
Even worse; he's due to make $5.2 million next season.

Falls City Beer
Then you stick with LaRue, because his D outpaces that of Ross. And considering the Reds signed an offensive black hole at shortstop, we'll need to get some offense from the catching spot--you can't afford to have three perpetually dead spots in the order.

Three dead spots?

Let's see:

Ross/Javy
Griffey
Gonzo
Hatteberg

I count four. And potentially five (Phillips).

redsfan30
Appears the roster shakeup is going to continue.

Red Leader
I don't see it that way.

Ok, let me see if I can express my opinion a little better than I have up to this point in this thread.

I agree with you wheels that the 25 man spot is very important. I can't handle catchers taking 3 of those spots anymore.

IMO, if they got rid of LaRue, paid no salary at all, and got a "D" level prospect in low A ball in return, I'm fine with that.

If they got rid of LaRue and paid $2-3M of his salary to get a pitcher or position player in the Royals organization they liked, I'm fine with that.

What I wouldn't be fine with is them giving up LaRue, $1-2M and getting a "project" back from the Royals.

RedsManRick
11-20-2006, 03:08 PM

We'll see.

Do they ever outright deny something that ends up happening? Do they give the "can't confirm" statement on things that don't have any truth? Sounds to me like something is in the works and they're waiting on the paperwork (or commish approval if $$ is involved).

oneupper
11-20-2006, 03:08 PM
Soriano is going to run wild against Javy and Ross.

That said, I think Javy could improve his hitting stats if he gets more PT.
That would compensate a drop from Ross.

red-in-la
11-20-2006, 03:09 PM

I am not sure if the minor league numbers back this up, but I believe that Ross is simply being the catcher the Dodgers had hoped he would be.

wheels
11-20-2006, 03:12 PM
Ok, let me see if I can express my opinion a little better than I have up to this point in this thread.

I agree with you wheels that the 25 man spot is very important. I can't handle catchers taking 3 of those spots anymore.

IMO, if they got rid of LaRue, paid no salary at all, and got a "D" level prospect in low A ball in return, I'm fine with that.

If they got rid of LaRue and paid $2-3M of his salary to get a pitcher or position player in the Royals organization they liked, I'm fine with that.

What I wouldn't be fine with is them giving up LaRue, $1-2M and getting a "project" back from the Royals.

That's my feeling as well.

registerthis
11-20-2006, 03:14 PM
Three dead spots?

Let's see:

Ross/Javy
Griffey
Gonzo
Hatteberg

I count four. And potentially five (Phillips).

In relation to his salary, perhaps Griffey is dead weight. But he did still manage to hit 27 bombs and slug .486 last year, I wouldn't necessarily call that a "dead spot."

Falls City Beer
11-20-2006, 03:14 PM
I think salary-dumping Larue is stupid on a par with salary-dumping Casey.

registerthis
11-20-2006, 03:15 PM
I am not sure if the minor league numbers back this up, but I believe that Ross is simply being the catcher the Dodgers had hoped he would be.

Perhaps, but I'm always leery of a player who has his first season of any meaningful production in his late 20s. It'd be nice if Ross were able to replicate that next season, but I wouldn't be counting on it.

marcshoe
11-20-2006, 03:15 PM
I had to double check and make sure Mark Redman was a free agent and thus cannot be the return. He is, and I am relieved.

westofyou
11-20-2006, 03:16 PM

Then what would you do?

Move Larue and you're paying out under 10 million for your catcher, SS, 1b, 2b and 3rd baseman. That leaves a lot of cash for other things. Including RH corner players, another starter and a closer.

Falls City Beer
11-20-2006, 03:16 PM
I had to double check and make sure Mark Redman was a free agent and thus cannot be the return. He is, and I am relieved.

Smart soul, you. *phew*

registerthis
11-20-2006, 03:17 PM

Depends. With Wilson's $4 mil off the books, and LaRue's $5.2 mil headed to KC (presumably), there's $9.2 million the Reds have to play with--and even in this market, that will get you something of value.

Falls City Beer
11-20-2006, 03:17 PM
Then what would you do?

Move Larue and you're paying out under 10 million for your catcher, SS, 1b, 2b and 3rd baseman. That leaves a lot of cash for other things. Including RH corner players, another starter and a closer.

Salary dump Javy and Castro. Keep Larue. See what Ross brings in return.

registerthis
11-20-2006, 03:19 PM
Salary dump Javy and Castro. Keep Larue. See what Ross brings in return.

That would net you all of $2 mil+. That's not a dump, that's transaction for transaction's sake.

Ron Madden
11-20-2006, 03:19 PM
I don't think you can effectively do a salary dump in relation to 5 million dollars in this current market. LaRue is a .240-.250 career hitter, upper 1/3 of catchers defensively, and if one places value on effort he is one of the more intense guys on the team. If we 'dump' his salary it would be pointless because 5 million isn't going to get us a player thats better than LaRue's career numbers most likely. In fact it just got us Alex Gonzalez who is a 240-ish hitter who is good defensively. Is there really a point to dumping LaRue and praying Ross doesn't revert to career norms? In my opinion you don't do a dump, you only do a deal if something solid is coming in return.

I'm in full agreement with Joseph here,

Did'nt the Cub just ink Henrey Blancoe to a two year 5M deal to be a back up catcher?

George Anderson
11-20-2006, 03:20 PM

I guess alot of us are stupid including myself. I thought dumping Casey and his over bloated salary last year was a great move.

RedsManRick
11-20-2006, 03:21 PM
No response on the Royals ESPN board -- FYI. We should probably wait until something actually happens before passing judgment.

osuceltic
11-20-2006, 03:21 PM
FCB hates something Krivsky might do. Shocking.

I'd bet any team in baseball would be thrilled to just wipe LaRue from their books after last season. Look at his age, contract and production last season, and if you could just get rid of him and save the money you owe him, every team in the league would do it.

Even if Ross falls off to LaRue-like production (unlikely, because LaRue was truly terrible), he's still much, much cheaper. And it's not like he's going to bring much in return himself. I'll take Ross and be glad to be rid of LaRue and that ridiculous contract.

Ltlabner
11-20-2006, 03:22 PM

Yea, clearing up an additional $5m on a +30 catcher comming off a horrible year. $5m that can be combined with other monies to bring a bigger bat or starting pitcher to town. A move that would clean up the 3 headed monster behind home plate.

Yea, what a dumb move.

wheels
11-20-2006, 03:23 PM
Let's not forget that Larue wasn't happy last year.

Falls City Beer
11-20-2006, 03:23 PM
That would net you all of $2 mil+. That's not a dump, that's transaction for transaction's sake.

Not if you get two minor leaguers in return. And it's a dump of 2.5--half of Larue's salary. Plus, more importantly, you rid your roster of crap players (Castro, Valentin).

Johnny Footstool
11-20-2006, 03:25 PM
I guess alot of us are stupid including myself. I thought dumping Casey and his over bloated salary last year was a great move.

Great return on that move. The $7 million per year went to...ummm...ummm...well, no one in particular. And the thought of Dave Williams on the mound for the Reds still brings tears to my eyes. Not the good "Field of Dreams" tears; the bad "Major League III: Back to the Minors" tears.

Falls City Beer
11-20-2006, 03:26 PM
FCB hates something Krivsky might do. Shocking.

Sounds of kind silly. I really dislike things people actually do.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
11-20-2006, 03:27 PM
Eh. Get rid of Javy.
lol:laugh:

CaiGuy
11-20-2006, 03:27 PM
Also rumors in another thread about the Reds picking up a FA catcher.

There is a connection...

lollipopcurve
11-20-2006, 03:29 PM
Two words: Reggie Sanders

That's who I think they'd get, too...

Both vets making decent $, a year from FA.

M2
11-20-2006, 03:29 PM
To echo Red Leader, if you're going to dump LaRue, make sure that it's a sizable dump.

I like Jason and would have absolutely zero problem with him coming back as the team's starting catcher next year. He's as good a bounce back candidate as you're ever going to see.

That said, there are other areas where the team can spend that money. So if we're talking about most or all of his contract, then a salary dump could do some good. Mind you, I'd rather see the Reds move out a catcher for some talent. Money interests me far less than talent. If all you've got is money, you still need to turn it into talent.

Wild guess for 2007 if Jason does get traded -- the #7 and #8 slots of the Reds lineup will be two of the easier outs in the NL.

Handofdeath
11-20-2006, 03:30 PM

There is a connection...

I looked at the Free Agents out there and one name struck me.

Javy Lopez

George Anderson
11-20-2006, 03:30 PM
Great return on that move. The $7 million per year went to...ummm...ummm...well, no one in particular. And the thought of Dave Williams on the mound for the Reds still brings tears to my eyes. Not the good "Field of Dreams" tears; the bad "Major League III: Back to the Minors" tears.

Well we have Hatteberg now making much less than Casey made and also outperforming him. Even if that 7 million never was spent or never will be spent, Hatteberg is an improvement.

osuceltic
11-20-2006, 03:31 PM
Wild guess for 2007 if Jason does get traded -- the #7 and #8 slots of the Reds lineup will be two of the easier outs in the NL.

And that changes if he doesn't get traded???

registerthis
11-20-2006, 03:31 PM
Not if you get two minor leaguers in return. And it's a dump of 2.5--half of Larue's salary. Plus, more importantly, you rid your roster of crap players (Castro, Valentin).

I'm not convinced LaRue will ever play up to his salary, and the Reds aren't in a position to be giving out holiday cheer just because they like a guy. LaRue is overpaid and signed to a bad contract, if you have a chance to get his entire salary off the books, you do it.

traderumor
11-20-2006, 03:32 PM

There is a connection...They have 3 major league catchers, one would be leaving, there would be absolutely no reason to sign a FA catcher.

Joseph
11-20-2006, 03:33 PM
They have 3 major league catchers, one would be leaving, there would be absolutely no reason to sign a FA catcher.

Unless you like 3 catchers.

traderumor
11-20-2006, 03:34 PM
Unless you like 3 catchers.I say one catcher is gone. All things considered, LaRue is most likely not to return.

NJReds
11-20-2006, 03:35 PM

Everett and Ausmus are offended by that statement.

cincyinco
11-20-2006, 03:35 PM
I disagree. The Royals have nothing I want.

Look again FCB.. they don't have much, but they have some intriguing players - mostly positional.

Alex Gorden? - he's a pipe dream, but i'd love to have him.
Bret Butler? - he can't feild, but he sure can rake
Brent Fisher? - now here's something possibly not too far out of reach, low level LHP dominated
Luis Cota - struggled last year, but a big draft and follow arm from a few years back that has a dominant fastball.

There are some pieces.. few and far between and some more realistic than others.. but the KC farm isn't completely barron.

IslandRed
11-20-2006, 03:36 PM
Well, look at it this way... if his salary goes with him, then effectively we've used Larue's $5 million to sign Gonzalez. Amounts to a trade, and trading a timeshare catcher for a full-time shortstop is probably to the good. We'll just have to see what the terms are.

Handofdeath
11-20-2006, 03:36 PM
Look again FCB.. they don't have much, but they have some intriguing players - mostly positional.

Alex Gorden? - he's a pipe dream, but i'd love to have him.
Bret Butler? - he can't feild, but he sure can rake
Brent Fisher? - now here's something possibly not too far out of reach, low level LHP dominated
Luis Cota - struggled last year, but a big draft and follow arm from a few years back that has a dominant fastball.

There are some pieces.. few and far between and some more realistic than others.. but the KC farm isn't completely barron.

John Buck may be on the block. The Royals are supposed to be interested in signing Gregg Zaun.

Falls City Beer
11-20-2006, 03:38 PM
To echo Red Leader, if you're going to dump LaRue, make sure that it's a sizable dump.

I like Jason and would have absolutely zero problem with him coming back as the team's starting catcher next year. He's as good a bounce back candidate as you're ever going to see.

That said, there are other areas where the team can spend that money. So if we're talking about most or all of his contract, then a salary dump could do some good. Mind you, I'd rather see the Reds move out a catcher for some talent. Money interests me far less than talent. If all you've got is money, you still need to turn it into talent.

Great post.

oneupper
Why would the Royals do this...?

Is LaRue an upgrade from Buck?

(This IS a question...I'm not being ironic)

corkedbat
I looked at the Free Agents out there and one name struck me.

Javy Lopez

I like it. Trade LaRue, sign Lopez, trade Ross. Avoid the confusion from last year - you'd always know that Javy was catching. :D

Falls City Beer
11-20-2006, 03:39 PM
Well, look at it this way... if his salary goes with him, then effectively we've used Larue's $5 million to sign Gonzalez. Amounts to a trade, and trading a timeshare catcher for a full-time shortstop is probably to the good. We'll just have to see what the terms are.

Yep. John Allen gets to put a smiley face sticker in the accounting books! :)

TOBTTReds
11-20-2006, 03:43 PM
I like it. Trade LaRue, sign Lopez, trade Ross. Avoid the confusion from last year - you'd always know that Javy was catching. :D

Lopez is an awful defensive catcher, so when his offense isn't very good, he is worthless. Hence, he is worthless.

Red Leader
11-20-2006, 03:46 PM
Lopez is an awful defensive catcher, so when his offense isn't very good, he is worthless. Hence, he is worthless.

Completely agree. Javy Lopez's last good year was 2004. He's been in a fast decline ever since. He's not worth a 1 yr, $2M contract, IMO.

Handofdeath
11-20-2006, 03:47 PM
Why would the Royals do this...?

Is LaRue an upgrade from Buck?

(This IS a question...I'm not being ironic)

In their mind perhaps. Buck didn't produce last year like they hoped. This is from the KC Star 11-10-2006

There are whispers within the Royals’ organization that the Royals may have an interest in bringing back catcher Gregg Zaun, who played the last three seasons in Toronto.

Zaun, 35, has hit 23 homers and driven in 101 runs over the last two seasons.

Zaun played with the Royals in 2000 and 2001.

Don’t be shocked, either, if John Buck’s name gets tossed around in trade rumors. Remember that Dayton Moore is not tied into the politics of the Carlos Beltran trade (the Royals already let Mike Wood go).

Buck is a guy you want to root for, but it’s all about production.

Krivsky saw this guy in the AL. He's got upside. It's kind of hard to develop in the black hole of K.C.

corkedbat

I was just kidding. :D

IslandRed
Yep. John Allen gets to put a smiley face sticker in the accounting books! :)

Well, do you want that $5 million to spend on pitching, or don't you? ;)

I personally believe Larue's hit the wall, which is why I'm not sweating it, but I could be wrong.

Handofdeath
11-20-2006, 03:48 PM
If the Reds could get Buck, I would be thrilled.

Johnny Footstool
11-20-2006, 03:49 PM
Well we have Hatteberg now making much less than Casey made and also outperforming him. Even if that 7 million never was spent or never will be spent, Hatteberg is an improvement.

Yes, Hatteberg is quite a find. But Casey could have been traded for something of value, and the Reds still could have signed Hatteberg.

Johnny Footstool
11-20-2006, 03:49 PM
If the Reds could get Buck, I would be thrilled.

That won't happen. The Royals love John Buck and Mark Teahen.

cincyinco
11-20-2006, 03:50 PM
What about Justin Huber? His stock has slid, mainly I think from being completely mishandled by KC.. but I think he could rebound nicely..

Would KC part with MacDougal? There's your closer.

CaiGuy
11-20-2006, 03:51 PM
They have 3 major league catchers, one would be leaving, there would be absolutely no reason to sign a FA catcher.

It is certainly not a good idea...just thought that it could be related.

cincy jacket
11-20-2006, 03:52 PM
If it is a salary dump you can look at it as Larue for Gonzo. Their salaries are pretty much a wash. Looking at it that way I think it's a great trade.

lollipopcurve
11-20-2006, 03:52 PM
Would KC part with MacDougal?

Already did -- he went to the White Sox late in the season.

NJReds
11-20-2006, 03:53 PM
Marc confirmed on his blog:

LaRue on the move

According to a baseball source, the Reds are on the verge of trading catcher Jason LaRue to the Kansas City Royals. The Reds will receive a player to be named later. I imagine they'll be sending some cash Kansas City's way, as well.

More when I get it.

CaiGuy
11-20-2006, 03:55 PM
Marc confirmed on his blog:

sending cash along with Larue for a PTBNL?

bad trade...

M2
If I had to pick a guy on the Royals to get for LaRue, it would be Jorge de la Rosa.

George Anderson
Yes, Hatteberg is quite a find. But Casey could have been traded for something of value, and the Reds still could have signed Hatteberg.

I just dont think there was a market out there for Casey and his huge contract. Bottom line is the contract the Reds signed Casey to was just a huge mistake. Along with LaRues, Miltons,Griffeys and so many others...

NJReds

bad trade...

Would there be any reason to wait until after Rule V?

Matt700wlw
Per Marc

LaRue on the move

According to a baseball source, the Reds are on the verge of trading catcher Jason LaRue to the Kansas City Royals. The Reds will receive a player to be named later. I imagine they'll be sending some cash Kansas City's way, as well.

More when I get it.

RedsManRick
11-20-2006, 03:57 PM
Could be a draftee.

westofyou
11-20-2006, 03:58 PM
LaRue... the last Red to play for the team in the 1900's exits the building.

Team Clark
11-20-2006, 03:58 PM

bad trade...

Bad trade if that PTBNL is a nobody. By "nobody" I mean a kid that will get released in ST. I can not forsee that scenario. If the PTBNL is at least a fringe prospect then it is at a minimum a wash. They are doing Jason a favor by teaming him up with Fred Kendall. Thos two are very close. Fred can get Jason back on track. I mentioned a while back that this scenario was likely to play out. Very few teams would be in the market for LaRue. Buck is out of favor with Buddy. Buddy Bell was a very big supporter of LaRue during his short stint in the Reds Player Development System. This trade serves both teams well IMO.

Red Leader
11-20-2006, 03:59 PM
I'm thinking bad trade. I'll wait for the specifics, but it seems that Krivsky chose the 3rd option I listed, the bad one.

Give up LaRue, pay money and get a "project" in return.

Heath
Could be a draftee.

Could be Zack Grienke.

Who knows?

I think Jason LaRue being dumped is a good thing. However, it's what they do with the $5 million that interests me.

cincyinco
Already did -- he went to the White Sox late in the season.

Thanks for the heads up, I guess I missed that! :)

a PTBNL though huh? At least thats what it sounds like.. does that mean someone drafted this year? or someone who's hurt..

TOBTTReds
11-20-2006, 04:00 PM
I was just kidding. :D

I thought you might be, but handofdeath wasn't.

Krusty
11-20-2006, 04:01 PM
Just ridding ourselves of another Dan O'Brien blunder.

westofyou
I think Jason LaRue being dumped is a good thing. However, it's what they do with the $5 million that interests me.In essence they just swapped him for a SS salary slot wise.

CaiGuy
Bad trade if that PTBNL is a nobody. If the PTBNL is at least a fringe prospect then it is at a minimum a wash. They are doing Jason a favor by teaming him up with Fred Kendall. Thos two are very close. Fred can get Jason back on track. I mentioned a while back that this scenario was likely to play out. Very few teams would be in the market for LaRue. Buck is out of favor with Buddy. Buddy Bell was a very big supporter of LaRue during his short stint in the Reds Player Development System.

PTBNL's aren't usually anybody of note though,

It would be OK if it was strait up, but if they pay any significant portion of his salary, it was pointless to give him up

Heath
11-20-2006, 04:02 PM
In essence they just swapped him for a SS salary slot wise.

So Jason LaRue for Alex Gonzalez. Straight up.

Defensive C for a Defensive SS.

I'm ok with that.

Red Leader
11-20-2006, 04:04 PM

I'm ok with that.

Wait until you hear how much money they threw in before saying that it's a straight up deal. It could be giving up LaRue for Gonzalez at $7M. How would you feel about that?

TOBTTReds
11-20-2006, 04:06 PM

I'm ok with that.

If LaRue was a good defensive catcher, then I am Theo Epstein.

joshnky
11-20-2006, 04:06 PM

I'm ok with that.

There is a flaw in this logic. Larue is a free agent after next season while we're stuck with Gonzalez for three more years. I like both moves but I don't think it can be described as LaRue for Gonzalez because we're giving Gonzalez 14 million over the next three years.

Ltlabner
11-20-2006, 04:08 PM
Wait until you hear how much money they threw in before saying that it's a straight up deal. It could be giving up LaRue for Gonzalez at $7M. How would you feel about that?

I'm with you on this one Red Leader. While I like the concept of freeing up the sallary, and all the other positives, if they send KC any real amount of cash then it totally defeats the purpose of the move IMO. The real purpose of the move being sheding yet another crappy DanO contract. All the other stuff (back down to 2 catchers, etc) being iceing on the cake.

Heath

You are right, that's a good point - but on the surface, I'm ok with it.

CaiGuy
If LaRue was a good defensive catcher, then I am Theo Epstein.

hello, Theo:wave:

Matt700wlw
11-20-2006, 04:09 PM
It's confirmed

ROYALS ACQUIRE CATCHER JASON LaRUE FROM REDS
Kansas City Sends Minor League Player to be Named to Cincinnati

KANSAS CITY, MO (Nov. 20, 2006) - The Kansas City Royals have acquired catcher Jason LaRue from the Cincinnati Reds in exchange for a minor league player to be named, Royals Senior Vice President-Baseball Operations/General Manager Dayton Moore announced today.

LaRue, 32, has been considered one of the best throwing catchers in baseball since his debut with the Reds in 1999. In his eight seasons, he has thrown out 36.9 percent (143-for-388) of attempted base stealers, fourth-best in baseball over that span. In 2001, he led all Major League catchers with a 60.3 caught-stealing percentage. He has served as Cincinnati’s primary catcher since the 2001 season and was the Reds longest tenured player prior to the trade.

The 5-foot-11, 200-pound native of Houston, Texas, is a .239 hitter with 84 home runs, 303 RBI, 127 doubles and 263 runs scored in 715 career games. In 2006, LaRue underwent right knee surgery in spring training that forced him to miss the first two weeks of the regular season. He hit .194 (37-191) with eight home runs, 21 RBI and five doubles while playing in just 72 games, his fewest since playing 31 in 2000. Prior to 2006, LaRue was a consistent offensive performer for the Reds, recording at least 12 home runs, 17 doubles and 43 RBI for five straight seasons from 2001-2005.

LaRue best season came in 2005, when he hit a career-high .260 with 14 home runs and a career-high 60 RBI and 27 doubles. He combined with Javier Valentin that season to form the best offensive catching duo in the Majors. Since he earned the Reds starting catcher job in 2001, he has been hit by a pitch 87 times, tied for the sixth-most in baseball. He set a Cincinnati franchise record by being hit 24 times in 2004.

LaRue was originally a fifth-round selection of Cincinnati in the 1995 Draft after being named an All-American at Dallas Baptist University. He resides in Bulverde, Texas, with his wife, Heather, and sons, Tyler, Dylan and Brayden.

Red Leader
11-20-2006, 04:10 PM
There is a flaw in this logic. Larue is a free agent after next season while we're stuck with Gonzalez for three more years. I like both moves but I don't think it can be described as LaRue for Gonzalez because we're giving Gonzalez 14 million over the next three years.

Also, an excellent point.

Heath
11-20-2006, 04:10 PM

Contracts can be traded - if Gonzalez is needed by someone for defense, it can be traded.

Joseph
11-20-2006, 04:11 PM
If we sent any real cash in this deal [anything more than 1 million] then the Royal GM should be GM of the year [assuming it is a project coming in return].

Heath
11-20-2006, 04:11 PM
No cash in the initial blurb.

CaiGuy
11-20-2006, 04:12 PM
No cash then.

Ok.

very good

redsfan30
11-20-2006, 04:13 PM
If Kansas City is paying all of LaRue's contract, this is a fantastic move for the Reds.

cincyinco
11-20-2006, 04:14 PM
If we get KC to take on Larue and all the contract, and we get a prospect out of the deal.. Wayne just did real good IMO.

Ltlabner
11-20-2006, 04:14 PM
Acording to Marc Lancaster there was no cash involved. And, as has been pointed out, no cash involved from the blurb posted above.

That being the case, then I'd say a good move.

NJReds
11-20-2006, 04:15 PM
Marc's update:

The Reds will receive a player to be named later. No cash involved in the deal.

In addition, the Reds have added OF Chris Dickerson, RHP Calvin Medlock and RHP David Shafer to their 40-man roster.

So I guess my question is: Might this be a player that the Royals will protect in the Rule V that we might not have room for at this time?

Team Clark
PTBNL's aren't usually anybody of note though,

It would be OK if it was strait up, but if they pay any significant portion of his salary, it was pointless to give him up

The jury is still out. If Ross can get in shape and play a full season he may be able to make this a worthwhile deal. I am sure Jason is doing backflips!

RFS62
No problem here. I thought his contract would be hard to move.

Team Clark
11-20-2006, 04:16 PM
Great job by Matt700WLW for getting this out to everyone! You da Man!:thumbup:

traderumor
11-20-2006, 04:17 PM
From Cincy to KC...like going from Siberia to Antarctica

IslandRed
So I guess my question is: Might this be a player that the Royals will protect in the Rule V that we might not have room for at this time?

I was about to post the same thing. Marc had said today was the deadline for putting guys on the 40 to protect them from Rule V, so part of the deal might be the Royals stashing our guy until after Rule V.

joshnky
Does this mean the end of the LaRue, Milton, and Pelland for (name your pitcher) trade rumors? I'll miss them.

westofyou
11-20-2006, 04:18 PM
The jury is still out. If Ross can get in shape and play a full season he may be able to make this a worthwhile deal. I am sure Jason is doing backflips!

Gonzalez - 4.6 Million
Hatteberg - 1.5 Million
Ross - TBD
Phillips - TBD
EE - TBD

It's very likely combined 5 of the starters will make 10 million or less this season.

Let's go shopping.

RANDY IN INDY
11-20-2006, 04:20 PM
Good move. Great move if no cash involved.

cincyinco
11-20-2006, 04:21 PM
Gonzalez - 4.6 Million
Hatteberg - 1.5 Million
Ross - TBD
Phillips - TBD
EE - TBD

It's very likely combined 5 of the starters will make 10 million or less this season.

Let's go shopping.

:jump:

Its finally good to say that.. "the Reds are going shopping".. heh.

I just hope its something we can all be very excited about. I'm trying to temper my enthusiasm. But I like the moves that have been made so far this offseason.

Will M
11-20-2006, 04:22 PM
:jump:

RFS62
Gonzalez - 4.6 Million
Hatteberg - 1.5 Million
Ross - TBD
Phillips - TBD
EE - TBD

Let's go shopping.

Yep, I'm really liking what I'm seeing so far.

wheels
No cash involved = good move.

There are now more possibilities.

Matt700wlw
11-20-2006, 04:23 PM
Great job by Matt700WLW for getting this out to everyone! You da Man!:thumbup:

Thanks.

They picked the right day to make moves while I'm near a computer :D

captainmorgan07
11-20-2006, 04:23 PM
good move by wayne we all know laure wasn't happy so trading him is what he wanted no cash involed is plus clears us of his contract excellent move if i say so

wheels
11-20-2006, 04:24 PM
good move by wayne we all know laure wasn't happy so trading him is what he wanted no cash involed is plus clears us of his contract excellent move if i say so

Yeah, what he said.:D

Danny Serafini
11-20-2006, 04:25 PM
There are still a couple of 40 man slots open so the Reds shouldn't need the Royals to stash a guy from the Rule 5 draft for them. I think the guess earlier that it could be a recent draftee who's not yet eligible to be traded is more likely.

edabbs44
11-20-2006, 04:25 PM
http://www.huskersagainsthergert.com/uploaded_images/new-years-eve-times-square-2-722363.jpg

Handofdeath
11-20-2006, 04:28 PM
I thought you might be, but handofdeath wasn't.

I just said the name jumped out at me. I didn't say the Reds needed to sign the guy. I was interested to see what the board thought. I'm not interested in the Reds signing 37 year old catchers suffering from anabolicitis.

Tom Servo
11-20-2006, 04:28 PM
I like this move for what it is: a salary dump of a guy who makes 5 million a year, isn't happy here in a part time role, and isn't a necessary cog of the team.

wheels
11-20-2006, 04:29 PM
Is 1360 gonna be broadcasting the presser?

marcshoe
11-20-2006, 04:29 PM
Does this mean the end of the LaRue, Milton, and Pelland for (name your pitcher) trade rumors? I'll miss them.

It's a pity. I had hoped the Reds could get Willis and Cabrera for that package. Well, maybe they can substitute Castro for LaRue. ;)

lollipopcurve
11-20-2006, 04:32 PM
Let's go shopping.

Lock up Harang!

WVRedsFan
11-20-2006, 04:32 PM
Great move. That's what I'm talking about. Now this is the Krivsky I'd hoped to see. We ridded ourselves of a big contract. Now the whole infield will be cheap and hopefully effective.

oneupper
11-20-2006, 04:33 PM
Lock up Harang!

Second THAT!

oneupper
11-20-2006, 04:34 PM
I wonder what the Royals' boards are saying about this...

Redsland
11-20-2006, 04:35 PM
There are still a couple of 40 man slots open so the Reds shouldn't need the Royals to stash a guy from the Rule 5 draft for them.
According to Marc, the Reds filled those spots earlier today. So the Royals could still be stashing someone for us.

Falls City Beer
Now let's stop *****ing about cash and ink the big Zito to 5 years, $90 mill.

Dirty.

Let's win this damn thing called the Central and stop bloody talking about it and selling the power of tradition.

Let's break on through.

terminator
On the up side for LaRue he gets an extra $250,000 for being traded after 10/15/06.

I agree this was a good move that makes sense but I'm sad to see him go as he was one of my favorite Reds.

Danny Serafini
11-20-2006, 04:36 PM
According to Marc, the Reds filled those spots earlier today. So the Royals could still be stashing someone for us.

Even with those players there's still 2 slots. Gonzalez and Stanton brought it to 36, the 3 guys added brought it to 39, losing LaRue drops it to 38.

cincyinco
11-20-2006, 04:36 PM
I'm taking it this may actually be a move you approve of FCB? ;)

I'm just pokin fun at ya.

Ron Madden
11-20-2006, 04:39 PM
I have always been a Fan of Jason LaRue. I have long believed LaRue was under-rated by many Reds Fans. That said, I wish Jason well and I quess I can live with this deal. :thumbup:

Falls City Beer
I'm taking it this may actually be a move you approve of FCB? ;)

Only if it pays for a difference-maker--not bringing John Allen's books into balance.

Redsland
Even with those players there's still 2 slots. Gonzalez and Stanton brought it to 36, the 3 guys added brought it to 39, losing LaRue drops it to 38.
So it does.

:beerme:

M2
11-20-2006, 04:43 PM
No problem here. I thought his contract would be hard to move.

It's a brave, new world ... or so I've heard it said.

I'm all right if it's a pure salary dump (though I'd still like to me mitts on de la Rosa). Hopefully this portents more coming down the line and isn't just an offset for Gonzalez.

Yet I'm going to miss Jason. He was a blood and guts ballplayer who's one bad season shouldn't obscure the many good years he gave to the franchise. I'll be rooting for him to rebound with a vengeance in 2007.

joshnky

It makes sense to me that if you can get a team to protect a player for you on their 40 man, then you do it. I would think you'd want every slot possible to protect your own players even if the last two spots are filled by nothing more than average prospects.

NJReds
It makes sense to me that if you can get a team to protect a player for you on their 40 man, then you do it. I would think you'd want every slot possible to protect your own players even if the last two spots are filled by nothing more than average prospects.

Or if you wanted to leave a spot open to pick a player from another roster.

Handofdeath
11-20-2006, 04:44 PM
I wonder what the Royals' boards are saying about this...

To this point on royals.mlb.com, there have been exactly 6 posts. But of those 6 most aren't too unhappy. I would think Royals fans would be pleased that they are starting to spend money.

Falls City Beer
11-20-2006, 04:45 PM
I'll be rooting for him to rebound with a vengeance in 2007.

Damn straight. Here's to Jason.

A great player.

RedLegSuperStar
11-20-2006, 04:45 PM
Marc...

LaRue on the move

According to a baseball source, the Reds are on the verge of trading catcher Jason LaRue to the Kansas City Royals. The Reds will receive a player to be named later. No cash involved in the deal.

In addition, the Reds have added OF Chris Dickerson, RHP Calvin Medlock and RHP David Shafer to their 40-man roster.

dfs
11-20-2006, 04:46 PM
I have always been a Fan of Jason LaRue. I have long believed LaRue was under-rated by many Reds Fans. That said, I wish Jason well and I quess I can live with this deal.
On the other hand, I've been one of LaRue's biggest detractor and I also wish Jason well. He could have made a real stink about losing his job to an injury and he didn't.
While I see the wisdom of dumping his salary and making the bench a happier place, losing the three headed catching beast means the reds really do have to add a pinch hitter with some thump, because now you can't pinch hit with Ross or Valentine.

Craig Wilson seems an admirable fit. I wonder how he would feel about going into that kind of role.

By my count they now have 38 guys on the 40 man roster.

RedLegSuperStar
we get a player on their 40 man correct?

M2

Dirty.

Let's win this damn thing called the Central and stop bloody talking about it and selling the power of tradition.

Let's break on through.

Attaboy. I don't give standing Os for corporate savings.

cincyinco
11-20-2006, 04:48 PM
Only if it pays for a difference-maker--not bringing John Allen's books into balance.

I'll drink to that :) If it locks up Harang, is that enough?

lollipopcurve
11-20-2006, 04:48 PM
Yet I'm going to miss Jason. He was a blood and guts ballplayer who's one bad season shouldn't obscure the many good years he gave to the franchise. I'll be rooting for him to rebound with a vengeance in 2007.

Echo that. Beyond the blood and guts and underrated stick, he is an amazingly athletic catcher, and I still think he can offer some nice versatility at 1B and in the OF corners (he played a little OF in Cincy), which could keep him around deep into his 30s. Would be cool to see, I think.

Falls City Beer
11-20-2006, 04:49 PM
If it locks up Harang, is that enough?

Not even close.

I want better.

timmario66
Does this move the Royals past us in the veteran scrappiness factor or does the Stanton signing keep us on top?:)

cincy09
Could we possibly use the money on a Baez?

fewfirstchoice
Zito isnt going to make more money than Soriano at 17 mil. a season.I know the length of the contract help him sign for what he did per year.But I say Zito can be had for 6 years at 96 million,thats 16 mil.a year,or 5 years at 85 million,being 17 mil. a season.I say Zito would jump at these offers.

RFS62
11-20-2006, 04:51 PM
It's a brave, new world ... or so I've heard it said.

I've heard that too. But I never thought the new world was this brave, to tell you the truth.

I thought his contract would be unmovable after last seasons performance, much less without us tossing in cash.

cincyinco
Not even close.

I want better.

So do I, but this is just 1 small move that frees up cash for 1 year. I want more too, but if this 1 move allows Harang to be locked up long term at a good rate, I think its even more solid.

I don't think the AG, Stanton, and Larue trade are all thats going to be done this offseason, do you?

This is just the beginning..

registerthis
Not even close.

I want better.

Yep.

Harang needs to be locked up, but more needs to be done if we're going to actually improve.

Which is the goal here, isn't it?

I'm going to second FCB's calls for Zito...the cash is there, so Get It Done.

Puffy
11-20-2006, 04:53 PM
Well, if the Reds gave no money than it confirms that Larue had value, which is where it should be. Good move by Krivsky, IMO.

I never liked Larue as much as a lot of people on here, but I'll really be rooting for him to bounce back with the Royals.

Topcat
Yep.

Harang needs to be locked up, but more needs to be done if we're going to actually improve.

I'm going to second FCB's calls for Zito...the cash is there, so Get It Done.

Rotoworlds take on this deal.

Royals acquired catcher Jason LaRue from the Reds for the player to be named.
Amazingly, it appears the Reds are getting out from under LaRue's $5.2 million commitment without paying any cash. We hope that at least means the Royals aren't giving up anyone significant. Either way, it's a good job by Reds GM Wayne Krivsky. We're guessing LaRue will rebound and have another year or two at his 2005 level of play, but he's not going to help the Royals contend now or in the future. The best Kansas City can hope for is that he plays well enough that they can get a superior prospect for him at the trade deadline.

cincy09
Ok now I'm firmly on the Zito bandwagon

NatiRedGals
11-20-2006, 04:54 PM
General - GOOD RIDDANCE LARUE!!!!! notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussionSubscribe

To: ALL (1 of 1)

HE'S YOUR PROBLEM NOW. ENJOY THAT .185 BATTING AVERAGE. I GUESS IT HELPS THAT HE CAN THROW OUT A FEW RUNNERS SINCE YOUR PITCHING WILL BE ALLOWING A LOT OF GUYS TO GET ON BASE.

RUMOR IS GORDON OR MAIER ARE GOING TO CINCI.

Was on their website fourm

cincyinco
11-20-2006, 04:55 PM
The Zito bandwagon is awfully ambitious.

I honestly don't know if he'd come here. But money talks in this market, so who knows.

Johnny Footstool
11-20-2006, 04:56 PM
From Cincy to KC...like going from Siberia to Antarctica

From Chilitown to Brisketville.

Joseph
11-20-2006, 04:56 PM
Damn straight. Here's to Jason.

A great player.

He was one of my favorites over the last 10 years, and as someone else said vastly under appreciated by Reds fans. They can't all be Bench or Lombardi folks, lets appreciate the good ones when we have them. Our catching next season will be much less than it would have been with LaRue still here.

Gandalf the Red
11-20-2006, 04:57 PM
General - GOOD RIDDANCE LARUE!!!!!
HE'S YOUR PROBLEM NOW. ENJOY THAT .185 BATTING AVERAGE. I GUESS IT HELPS THAT HE CAN THROW OUT A FEW RUNNERS SINCE YOUR PITCHING WILL BE ALLOWING A LOT OF GUYS TO GET ON BASE.

I heard we're about to trade Juan Castro and a caps lock key for Brandon Webb. ;)

Willy
11-20-2006, 04:58 PM
We can wave all the Money we want at Zito, he is not coming to Cincy.

Good luck Jason! An all time solid Red!!

joshnky
11-20-2006, 04:59 PM
Zito isnt going to make more money than Soriano at 17 mil. a season.I know the length of the contract help him sign for what he did per year.But I say Zito can be had for 6 years at 96 million,thats 16 mil.a year,or 5 years at 85 million,being 17 mil. a season.I say Zito would jump at these offers.

6 years is a long contract to give a pitcher. A large contract of that length can destroy a team financially for years to come if the pitcher gets injured or doesn't adjust well to the new ball park. If we could load up a three year deal I might be for it but I've never been overly impressed with Zito. I always felt he was the worst of the "Big 3" and we've seen how Mulder and Hudson have turned out (albeit because of injuries.) I'd rather we go after one of the pitchers from the next year, ala Padilla, that we might be able to get for a three year deal.

westofyou
11-20-2006, 05:00 PM
Number 7 in games caught in Reds history... that's a lot of history.

CINCINNATI REDS
CAREER
C

GAMES G
1 Johnny Bench 1742
2 Ernie Lombardi 1053
3 Ivy Wingo 924
4 Joe Oliver 738
5 Johnny Edwards 731
6 Bubbles Hargrave 686
7 Jason LaRue 680
8 Ed Bailey 652
9 Heinie Peitz 648
10 Eddie Taubensee 610

lollipopcurve
11-20-2006, 05:00 PM

Of course, but I'd prefer they lock up Harang before outbidding the Yankees et al for Zito. If you bring in a pitcher who's at the very top of his salary scale, you're going to have to pay a FA-driven price for extending Harang, too.

lollipopcurve
11-20-2006, 05:01 PM
The Zito bandwagon is awfully ambitious.

To say the least.

M2
11-20-2006, 05:01 PM
I've heard that too. But I never thought the new world was this brave, to tell you the truth.

I thought his contract would be unmovable after last seasons performance, much less without us tossing in cash.

I get the feeling that a lot of smaller and medium markets have been sitting on their cash for a few years and what we're seeing is the inevitable floodgate burst. League revenues from things like the Internet and XM are strong and all 30 clubs do a nice job of parting fans from their cash at the ballpark.

I took Bryan Cashman's recent comments as a case of a guy complaining that he wasn't the only game in town. How dare these other teams spend like drunken sailors. They'll ruin the game.

Anyway, this puts Jr. in a whole new light. I said it when the Tigers traded for Sheffield and I'll say it again, I see no reason Jr. can't be moved. Dependent on his health, Milton might even have some takers.

marcshoe
11-20-2006, 05:03 PM
I'm a fan of LaRue because I watched him in the minors, in Charleston, and saw him improve his hitting dramatically from one year to the next, but this needed to be done, most likely. Maybe he'll be Kansas City's representative on the 2007 All-star team. With the Royals, that's a realistic goal.

GriffeyFan
11-20-2006, 05:03 PM

Who in the world do you think is going to give anything of value for Jason Larue?

Seriously, the guy's not very good and he has an attitude.

lollipopcurve
11-20-2006, 05:07 PM
Anyway, this puts Jr. in a whole new light.

Dollars-wise, yes. But he's still got the chronically injured legs, and they are at risk on the basepaths as well as in the outfield, making him sketchy to rely on even as a pure DH in the AL. I'd be surprised if they can get much for Griffey. May have to be a salary dump, and one in which the offense would take a significant hit (unlike the Larue deal, in my opinion).

Johnny Footstool
11-20-2006, 05:08 PM
I'm a fan of LaRue because I watched him in the minors, in Charleston, and saw him improve his hitting dramatically from one year to the next, but this needed to be done, most likely. Maybe he'll be Kansas City's representative on the 2007 All-star team. With the Royals, that's a realistic goal.

I think they just open the KC phone book and point to a name.

Redsland
Dependent on his health, Milton might even have some takers.
:pray:

registerthis
Of course, but I'd prefer they lock up Harang before outbidding the Yankees et al for Zito. If you bring in a pitcher who's at the very top of his salary scale, you're going to have to pay a FA-driven price for extending Harang, too.

Don't get the idea I'm opposed to extending Harang's contract. Count me 100% in on that. But, if that's ALL the Reds do as a result of the money they're saving on this move and some of their other signings, then they're just treading water.

Maybe Zito is too pie-in-the-sky, but the point is the Reds now need to be buyers, not sellers.

Roy Tucker
Yeah, it needed to be done but I hate to see him go. The attitude he has is a real warrior mentality. The kind of guy you want next to you in a foxhole.

I very much hope Ross carries his 2006 into 2007.

Good luck to Jason in KC.

Chip R
11-20-2006, 05:10 PM
From Chilitown to Brisketville.

This is ouuuur country. ;)

RFS62
11-20-2006, 05:12 PM
Yeah, it needed to be done but I hate to see him go. The attitude he has is a real warrior mentality. The kind of guy you want next to you in a foxhole.

Just as long as he doesn't have to block a grenade in the dirt.

:evil:

M2
11-20-2006, 05:13 PM
Dollars-wise, yes. But he's still got the chronically injured legs, and they are at risk on the basepaths as well as in the outfield, making him sketchy to rely on even as a pure DH in the AL. I'd be surprised if they can get much for Griffey. May have to be a salary dump, and one in which the offense would take a significant hit (unlike the Larue deal, in my opinion).

Sure, he's got flaws, but somebody's going to want his bat. I always view deals like that on a sliding scale. The more the Reds have to pay, the more talent the other team has to give.

While I agree Jr. could theoretically help the offense, I prefer having that big wad of cash to spend and the temptation to play him in CF removed. I also think that if Krivsky's enterprising, he can find a suitable RF bat for far less money.

Rojo
11-20-2006, 05:14 PM
Wow, the Royals are easily the dumbest organization in baseball.

Good moves so far. Now move Milton.

Handofdeath
11-20-2006, 05:16 PM
Don't get the idea I'm opposed to extending Harang's contract. Count me 100% in on that. But, if that's ALL the Reds do as a result of the money they're saving on this move and some of their other signings, then they're just treading water.

Maybe Zito is too pie-in-the-sky, but the point is the Reds now need to be buyers, not sellers.

I'd sign Harang first. Fact is he's better than Zito.

Puffy
11-20-2006, 05:18 PM
Forget Zito - give me Lilly and a bat for the same money. Lilly and Coco Crisp and I'd be so happy I'd actually be nice to Chip.

Kc61
11-20-2006, 05:19 PM
Going into the off-season Reds had 4 big contracts: Griffey, Milton, Dunn, Larue. Of the four, only Dunn's seems justifiable at this point (assuming the Reds still like him as a player).

I often wondered how the Reds would shed these contracts, particularly given the 2006 statistics for Griffey, Milton, and Larue. I am very pleasantly surprised that Krivsky was able to move the Larue contract.

Do you think KC needs a veteran lefty starting pitcher who once had a lot of success in the AL?

Bob Winters
11-20-2006, 05:19 PM
From Marc's blog:

LaRue clarification

The official release on the trade, put out by Kansas City, makes no mention of the Reds sending cash -- which is why I amended my original post.

However, Wayne Krivsky told me the Reds will indeed send money to help defray the $5.45 million LaRue is owed in 2007. Remember that he gets an extra $250,000 because he was traded after Oct. 15, 2006. Of course, Krivsky wouldn't say how much money is involved.

Joseph
11-20-2006, 05:23 PM
The deal gets u-g-l-y if cash is involved and nothing real comes in return.

M2
11-20-2006, 05:23 PM
From Marc's blog:

LaRue clarification

The official release on the trade, put out by Kansas City, makes no mention of the Reds sending cash -- which is why I amended my original post.

However, Wayne Krivsky told me the Reds will indeed send money to help defray the $5.45 million LaRue is owed in 2007. Remember that he gets an extra $250,000 because he was traded after Oct. 15, 2006. Of course, Krivsky wouldn't say how much money is involved.

So we're back to square one again. It should be interesting to see how much was saved and who's coming in return.

M2
11-20-2006, 05:24 PM
u-g-l-y

It ain't got no alibi.

muethibp
11-20-2006, 05:24 PM
From Marc's blog:

LaRue clarification

Some nice journalism there. :rolleyes:

Puffy
11-20-2006, 05:25 PM
The deal gets u-g-l-y if cash is involved and nothing real comes in return.

word.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-9/825505/Cartman.jpg

Marty and Joe
11-20-2006, 05:25 PM
From Marc's blog:

LaRue clarification

Well...at least WK is admitting to the trade now. :evil:

Ron Madden
11-20-2006, 05:26 PM
From Marc's blog:

LaRue clarification

The more cash involved the less attractive the deal.

wheels
11-20-2006, 05:28 PM
Glarrrgghhhh.....

oneupper
11-20-2006, 05:28 PM
The more cash involved the less attractive the deal.

I can still live with it. It's always better to pay players who are actually going to play.

I assume its $2 mm or less.

Ltlabner
11-20-2006, 05:29 PM
Well...that was short lived glee in mudville.

Thanks Marc.

Mario-Rijo
11-20-2006, 05:30 PM

I don't know Maier but if it is a player of Gordons potential (I'm assuming u mean Alex Gordon) then we just flat stole one here even if we were to pay all of LaRue's contract. If Krivsky pulled that off he needs to get a Bronze statue out front of GABP. So my gut says that those rumors are wrong.

Falls City Beer
11-20-2006, 05:31 PM
To say the least.

Then trade for someone else.

Just get better. I don't care what nameplate is mounted on which locker, I just want the team to get better. Re-upping Aaron is a status quo move.

Let's not forget the facts for a moment: right now the Reds are somewhere between 5 and 2 million dollars richer. They aren't a damn bit better at this moment.

Highlifeman21
11-20-2006, 05:37 PM

We used the money saved by salary-dumping Casey on signing Dunn to his LTC. I hope we use this salary-dumped money on a LTC for Harang.

registerthis
11-20-2006, 05:41 PM
Some nice journalism there. :rolleyes:

It's a blog. What do you expect?

Falls City Beer
11-20-2006, 05:41 PM
We used the money saved by salary-dumping Casey on signing Dunn to his LTC. I hope we use this salary-dumped money on a LTC for Harang.

Fine. Then spend even more to get another pitcher the caliber of Harang, or preferably, better.

registerthis
11-20-2006, 05:42 PM

Just get better. I don't care what nameplate is mounted on which locker, I just want the team to get better. Re-upping Aaron is a status quo move.

Let's not forget the facts for a moment: right now the Reds are somewhere between 5 and 2 million dollars richer. They aren't a damn bit better at this moment.

Yep. If the Reds are a franchise that has resorted to dumping salary simply to meet the long term demands of current players, well, that there is some ugly territory to be in.

Patrick Bateman
11-20-2006, 05:47 PM
I don't know Maier but if it is a player of Gordons potential (I'm assuming u mean Alex Gordon) then we just flat stole one here even if we were to pay all of LaRue's contract. If Krivsky pulled that off he needs to get a Bronze statue out front of GABP. So my gut says that those rumors are wrong.

There is no chance we get Gordon in this deal.

M2
11-20-2006, 05:49 PM
We used the money saved by salary-dumping Casey on signing Dunn to his LTC.

Bull, the Reds traded Casey and then made multiple player moves like trading for Tony Womack and signing Chris Hammond long before Castellini and Krivsky walked through the door and gave Dunn an extension.

The Casey trade and Dunn signing were a universe away from cause and effect.

jimbo
11-20-2006, 05:49 PM
We used the money saved by salary-dumping Casey on signing Dunn to his LTC.

I still think that Krivsky would have signed Dunn long-term even if Casey had remained a Red. The money saved by the Casey salary dumped was supposed to be used for pitching, as stated by the Reds at the time, but it never was.

Highlifeman21
11-20-2006, 05:58 PM
Fine. Then spend even more to get another pitcher the caliber of Harang, or preferably, better.

I agree.

We should use the money to LTC Harang and go out and get another #2 or legitimate #3 to go with Harang and Arroyo. If this move was made just to save a buck for the team, then I'm not on board with it.

I just want to see how we spend this money. If it's not on another SP to compliment the two we have in house, then I truly feel for LaRue as he's been exiled to KC, and I'm one of LaRue's biggest opponents.

Highlifeman21
11-20-2006, 06:01 PM
Bull, the Reds traded Casey and then made multiple player moves like trading for Tony Womack and signing Chris Hammond long before Castellini and Krivsky walked through the door and gave Dunn an extension.

The Casey trade and Dunn signing were a universe away from cause and effect.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought Castellini had a hand in the Casey trade before he purchased the team. From that move, I thought that led to the Dunn LTC. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but that's how I remembered the series of events.

Patrick Bateman
11-20-2006, 06:03 PM
It's sad to see LaRue, but it had to be done.

Assuming we couldn't get a real good return for Ross, getting out of LaRue's contract was the way to go. With the emergence of Ross the Reds simply had no good reason to pay 5M this season.

I have always been a strong LaRue supporter and I expect a good bounceback season from him. He's always been a solid and highly underrated catcher for the Reds.

Hopefully we end up paying very little of his contract or this trade wont look so good.

M2
11-20-2006, 06:04 PM

Perfectly stated.

jnwohio
11-20-2006, 06:14 PM
I read somewhere last week that the Royals were trying (without success) to dump Reggie Sanders' for salary reasons. Perhaps when it all shakes out it will turn into a salary neutral deal with Sanders back in Cincy and LaRue in KC and the team getting rid of the highest paid one making up the difference.

Or maybe the Royals think they can package LaRue with somebody else they have and move him on, with what the Reds eventually pay them or get back depending on what the Royals can do with LaRue.

Just a couple of possibilities to think about....

M2
11-20-2006, 06:18 PM
Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought Castellini had a hand in the Casey trade before he purchased the team. From that move, I thought that led to the Dunn LTC. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but that's how I remembered the series of events.

Months passed and multiple deals went down between the two. The Casey trade had no more of an effect than Graves and Ortiz coming off the books.

The only thing that the Casey trade directly led to was Dave Williams coming to town.

Spring~Fields
11-20-2006, 06:29 PM
I see it as a fresh opportunity for Larue and I am happy for him, he has paid his dues by playing on several losing teams in Cincy, at the same time the Reds have done the math and believe it benefits them, so it should be a win-win situation.

PuffyPig
11-20-2006, 06:29 PM

Impossible to disagree with this statement.

But it's hard to spend the money before you save it. At the end of the day, I expect the Reds to obtain something of value for Larue, who had little value for us.

RFS62
11-20-2006, 06:30 PM
The only thing that the Casey trade directly led to was Dave Williams coming to town.

The horror!!!!

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Film/Pix/gallery/2004/07/02/APO001EJ4334344334.jpg

Falls City Beer
11-20-2006, 06:32 PM
But it's hard to spend the money before you save it. At the end of the day, I expect the Reds to obtain something of value for Larue, who had little value for us.

If they get better with Jason's money, great. If they re-sign Harang, not so great.

redsfan30
11-20-2006, 06:33 PM
If they get better with Jason's money, great. If they re-sign Harang, not so great.

I think this might be the first, and ever time that I agree with you, FCB. Whatever savings we net here should be used to bring talent to the organization.

Willy
11-20-2006, 06:58 PM

It depends if you are looking long term or short term. Either way I don't think you can go wrong.

Wheelhouse
11-20-2006, 07:12 PM
I would assume that any and all parties have been canvassed about Larue--I don't think it's a rush job where he was "given away." He's not a trading chip with that contract and his performance last year. Good move by Krivsky in my book.

vaticanplum
11-20-2006, 07:38 PM
Let's not forget that Larue wasn't happy last year.

Well, playing for Kansas City should clear that right up.

I can't keep up with the Reds right now. if they keep making moves at this rate, I fully expect to head down to Opening Day and be greeted by Huey, Duey, and Louie on the roster.

Wasn't Greinke the kid who didn't turn up for spring training last year?

vaticanplum
11-20-2006, 07:40 PM

Dirty.

Let's break on through.

:KoolAid:

All of you guys who are calling Zito a pipe dream for the Reds need to take off your doom glasses. You people don't know him like I do*. He can be persuaded.

*in my soul

Tom Servo
11-20-2006, 09:09 PM
http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_150178.jpg

Matt700wlw
11-20-2006, 09:15 PM
That looks....odd

buckeyenut
11-20-2006, 09:21 PM
On the up side for LaRue he gets an extra $250,000 for being traded after 10/15/06.

I agree this was a good move that makes sense but I'm sad to see him go as he was one of my favorite Reds.

My guess is that the $250K is the cash changing hands in the deal. Seems natural that we pay the trade bonus. Probably all it is.

TheWalls
11-20-2006, 09:35 PM
Fifi LaRue's GONE!!!!
Thank God, Good Riddance!

traderumor
11-20-2006, 10:07 PM
Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought Castellini had a hand in the Casey trade before he purchased the team. From that move, I thought that led to the Dunn LTC. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but that's how I remembered the series of events.The Casey trade did occur after Castellini had been provisionally named owner, but he was not "in control" of the team. It came out later that he approved the Casey for Williams deal. An unconfirmed source claimed that Williams had been sold as a potential ace by O'Brien and when it came to light that Williams was not any such thing, it played a role in O'Brien's quick departure after Castellini was able to make official moves. So, it is not so far fetched to say that the money in the budget saved in the Casey deal unofficially became a slot in the budget for Dunn's extension.

vaticanplum
11-20-2006, 10:18 PM
An unconfirmed source claimed that Williams had been sold as a potential ace by O'Brien

I cannot believe that. Not even of Dan O'Brien.

Highlifeman21
11-20-2006, 10:30 PM
The Casey trade did occur after Castellini had been provisionally named owner, but he was not "in control" of the team. It came out later that he approved the Casey for Williams deal. An unconfirmed source claimed that Williams had been sold as a potential ace by O'Brien and when it came to light that Williams was not any such thing, it played a role in O'Brien's quick departure after Castellini was able to make official moves. So, it is not so far fetched to say that the money in the budget saved in the Casey deal unofficially became a slot in the budget for Dunn's extension.

And I understand that Hammond and Womack happened inbetween the Casey trade and the LTC, but I didn't think they really took up that much of the equation. Trading Casey saved us 8M, and IIRC Hammond made less than 1M, and Womack made 2M, so that's still 5M that went to the Dunn LTC in my mind.

Topcat
11-20-2006, 11:09 PM
One name I have gleamed as a player KC will move is (of) Emil Brown. I personally would be very happy with that as a return :D :cool:

traderumor
11-20-2006, 11:10 PM
I cannot believe that. Not even of Dan O'Brien.Dunno, but this is the man that held a presser for the signing of a pinch hitter and called the signing "big" :laugh:

Johnny Footstool
11-20-2006, 11:48 PM
I cannot believe that. Not even of Dan O'Brien.

He did.

And Tony Larussa called Williams one of the best lefties in the NL.

vaticanplum
11-20-2006, 11:52 PM
And Tony Larussa called Williams one of the best lefties in the NL.

Well, had Larussa gotten his hands on Williams, he may well have been. I don't know what that guy's pitching coaches feed their players.

Redsnake
11-21-2006, 12:06 AM
He probably said that so some dumb NLC team would keep him employed so he could face him a half dozen times.

M2
11-21-2006, 12:27 AM
And I understand that Hammond and Womack happened inbetween the Casey trade and the LTC, but I didn't think they really took up that much of the equation. Trading Casey saved us 8M, and IIRC Hammond made less than 1M, and Womack made 2M, so that's still 5M that went to the Dunn LTC in my mind.

And the Reds sent $1M to the Pirates to cover Casey and Freel signed an extension and Valentin signed an extension and LaRue signed an extension and Aurilia signed a deal.

That's $6.7M right there. That doesn't even cover arbitration raises for Kearns, Lopez and Harang.

Two weeks after Casey was traded, Ramon Ortiz and his $3.55M salary was released. Explain to me why that wasn't the money used to pay Dunn. You could just as plausibly argue that the money the had gone to D'Angelo Jiminez was what paid for Adam Dunn.

What I think paid for Adam Dunn was Bob Castellini coming to town and hiring Wayne Krivsky, who then did the smart thing and locked up the 40-homer guy before his market went into the stratosphere. The Reds payroll at the start of 2006 was $1M less than at the start of 2005 and that's after Bronson Arroyo and his $3M contract came to town. We know league revenues were up. The team surely planned to make to make more money in 2006 than in 2005 too (something that surely happened between ticket price, other ballpark item and attendance increases).

So it seems to me Casey was neglible in any move the team made. It had the resources to do everything it did regardless of whether Casey was on the team.

M2
11-21-2006, 12:27 AM
He probably said that so some dumb NLC team would keep him employed so he could face him a half dozen times.

Genius!

MartyFan
11-21-2006, 03:37 AM
None of the Reds PR say that any money was sent to the Royals in this deal...I was just reading the story on the Royals website and it sayd that there was cash included from Cincinnati.

Anyone know if this is true or not?

Royals obtain catcher LaRue from Reds
11/20/2006 7:32 PM ET
By Dick Kaegel / MLB.com

KANSAS CITY -- Suddenly there's competition for the Royals catching job.

Catcher Jason LaRue was obtained on Monday by the Royals from the Cincinnati Reds for a Minor League player to be named. The Royals also received cash from the Reds toward LaRue's $5.4-million salary for next season.

Royals general manager Dayton Moore forecast a battle between LaRue and incumbent John Buck for the starting job.

"It's a situation where there's competition between the two," Moore said. "It's a good situation for both of them."

LaRue, 32, underwent knee surgery last spring and had his poorest season for the Reds, batting just .194 with eight home runs and 21 RBIs. That came after his biggest offensive year -- he hit .260 with 60 RBIs and 14 homers in 2005.

"I came out probably way too early and, obviously, my hitting suffered big time," LaRue said. "I wasn't able to use my right leg the way I was supposed to and never really got off my feet and that's the way the year went. But now I'm 100 percent healthy and feel better than ever."

This will be LaRue's first year away from the Reds. He caught for them for eight years, including five as the starter. Last season he played just 72 games as David Ross took over.

LaRue is known as one of the best throwing catchers in the Majors, cutting down nearly 37 percent of basestealers (143 of 388) in his career.

"You're No. 1 job is to catch; to hit is second," he said. "That's what all your great catchers have done. Your No. 1 job is to handle the staff, block balls and throw guys out."

Buck, 26, has been the Royals' starting catcher for the last 2 1/2 seasons. His career average is .242, compared to LaRue's .239. Both are right-handed hitters.

"I talked to John a little bit when we played y'all last year and I'm looking forward to helping him out and giving him the experience that I've got," LaRue said. "Maybe there's something I can do to help him."

LaRue worked with Royals manager Buddy Bell and bench coach Billy Doran when they were all in the Reds organization.

hot stove
Complete coverage >

"I'm looking forward to a new fresh start," LaRue said. "I'm very familiar with the coaching staff there in Kansas City. I know what they expect and what they're about."

LaRue lives in Bulverde, Texas, with his wife Heather and sons Tyler, Dylan and Brayden.

LaRue becomes the third catcher on the Royals' 40-man roster with Buck and Paul Phillips. Paul Bako, the backup to Buck last year, has become a free agent.

This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Roy Tucker
11-21-2006, 08:04 AM
So do you suppose they really send cash? Back up the Brinks truck and unload multiple bag o' moneys at the Royals offices with Barney Fife armed guards and shotguns. Have the receptionist sign for it?

I wonder about these things.